Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5050636 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22920 on: August 17, 2013, 02:44:49 AM »
WOW, CrazyDaffodilLady.  What a prize!

I often want to snarl at drivers whom I see tapping their cigarette ash out of their cars' windows.  I feel like saying "You don't want it in your car?  I don't want it on my road."  And don't get me started about people who just toss their cigarette butts onto the ground.

Try being a motorcyclist when people chuck rubbish/cigarette butts out their cars  >:(

I'm not a motorcyclists, but once while stuck in traffic I had a driver chuck his still smoking butt out the window and directly onto my windshield. It then rolled down until it rested on apparently on my air-intake vents because my car was immediately filled with the smell of cigarette smoke, which I'm horribly allergic to. He and his buddy (both well dressed men in their 40s) laughed at me while I frantically rolled down my windows and looked around, clearly contemplating how I was going to get that butt off.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #22921 on: August 17, 2013, 03:29:21 AM »
I'd heard (strictly second-hand) that the old Hong Kong airport in fact had an excellent safety record. It was notorious as a horror to fly into and out of, so pilots doing so, were extremely careful and attentive...

Especially the old "Checkerboard Approach"

Not having heard of this (I've never been to Hong Kong, either in old- or new-airport times), I Googled it. A huge orange-and-white checkerboard display on a hill, which was the signal for the pilot to make a sharp turn... those fellows certainly earned their pay, serving that particular destination !

Angel B.

« Reply #22922 on: August 17, 2013, 04:09:24 AM »
I'd heard (strictly second-hand) that the old Hong Kong airport in fact had an excellent safety record. It was notorious as a horror to fly into and out of, so pilots doing so, were extremely careful and attentive...

Especially the old "Checkerboard Approach"

Not having heard of this (I've never been to Hong Kong, either in old- or new-airport times), I Googled it. A huge orange-and-white checkerboard display on a hill, which was the signal for the pilot to make a sharp turn... those fellows certainly earned their pay, serving that particular destination !

I can confirm that the old HK airport was a nightmare to fly into! For anyone who is interested:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2356942/Incredible-pictures-airplane-near-misses-EXACTLY-worlds-dangerous-airport-Hong-Kong-shut-15-years-ago.html

I currently am based in HK for work, and many of my friends who have been here for years attest how freaky it was.
My greatest treasure is love beyond measure.
-Il barbiere di Siviglia

cabbageweevil

« Reply #22923 on: August 17, 2013, 06:25:30 AM »
I can confirm that the old HK airport was a nightmare to fly into! For anyone who is interested:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2356942/Incredible-pictures-airplane-near-misses-EXACTLY-worlds-dangerous-airport-Hong-Kong-shut-15-years-ago.html

I currently am based in HK for work, and many of my friends who have been here for years attest how freaky it was.

Amazing pics -- thanks. Those showing the aircraft flying by, or between, the high-rise blocks, were particularly scary. I wonder for whom it was more alarming -- the people on the planes, or the inhabitants of the high-rise flats?

Craftyone

« Reply #22924 on: August 17, 2013, 06:37:04 AM »
I've flown in/out of the old airport four times, Kai Tak, (on my way Australia to England and return both times) and the new airport twice (Australia/Canada return).  With the old airport, I can't remember flying between the tower blocks on Nathan Road or the take offs, but I remember one of the landings and being awed and a bit scared by it.  The fourth time we were leaving HK to go home, my mum and I were in the taxi taking us to the airport and had just reached the terminal when this almighty roar went over us, we both flinched in the car and then realised it was a plane which had just taken off and was clearing (just) the terminal.  The new airport is fantastic and when DH & I were waiting for our flight to Canada we got to see the planes taking off (our gate overlooked that part of the runway), they still seem to bank quite steeply as there's a major road not far away from the runway end but nothing like Kai Tak.  They're making Kai Tak into a cruise ship terminal.

Returning to our normal coverage....

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #22925 on: August 17, 2013, 07:15:51 AM »
{quote tree snipped}

I can see both sides too, which is why I was just resigned, but I thought some of Snowdragon's ideas were really good, different solutions so that's why I wrote in. I regret to report, though, that now the NA has ticked me off. They replied with a completely canned email that was intended to look personal. Few things annoy me more. The first paragraph apologized for my "negative experience during my recent visit" - which I didn't describe or report (I said that I was offering general feedback") then three paragraphs lifted directly from the FAQs page. And not quoted, mind youa, as in "As you may have seen on our FAQs page, the reasons for our policy are..." but presented as though this was fresh writing directly to me (the FAQs page has that false friendly tone that I also find aggravating).  Then a final paragraph apologizing again for my negative visit and telling me all comments are "taken to heart."

Given that the canned, cut and paste reply appeared in my inbox within 30 minutes, I find it unlikely that my comments were taken to heart. I'd have respected them more if they just said "This is our policy, sorry it doesn't work for you, hope you can come back when our services better meet your family's needs."  At least that would be honest.

Oh well.  Looks like a Science Center membership next year. Or maybe the zoo...hmmm...
;)

Try writing on their Facebook wall or mentioning this issue on Twitter using their Twitter hashtag.  Organisations are increasingly sensitive to their reputation in the social media and it might get you a proper, considered response.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22926 on: August 17, 2013, 07:28:53 AM »
A special snowflake I encountered the other day at the little ice cream store across the street.  I had a buck and wanted to get some chips (they also serve meals and snacks) so I went in there with a buck and grabbed the chips I wanted and got in line.

Behind a guy who was on his phone and then when he got up to the register for his turn, he took his sweet time trying to figure out what he wanted while still holding his phone to his ear.  He did hang up, at least, mid-order, but I wanted to say "Figure out what you want before you get to the counter instead of jabbering on your phone!"  ::) 

And to add to it, he was exhibiting one of my fashion pet peeves, boxers being displayed intentionally.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22927 on: August 17, 2013, 08:02:33 AM »

I often want to snarl at drivers whom I see tapping their cigarette ash out of their cars' windows.  I feel like saying "You don't want it in your car?  I don't want it on my road."  And don't get me started about people who just toss their cigarette butts onto the ground.

In drought conditions it is even worse.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #22928 on: August 17, 2013, 10:05:27 PM »

Ooooh yes. I can't believe I didn't think to add this story to the thread before, but here goes - the following is copied from a November 2009 post on my blog, with a couple of words edited so that the profanity filters don't get mad at me. :P

Ranting ahoy!

To the absolute MORON who got on the bus today...

Oh dear. Did I hurt your widdle feelings when I asked you (with polite words but not very polite tone) to get back off the bus and actually put out the half-burned cigarette you'd tossed on the ground? Did you feel embarrassed because somebody actually had the gall to call you on that? Aww. Wuddums.

Let me just point out a few things here.

1. This is AUSTRALIA.
2. It is SUMMER.
3. The landscape around here consists of dry grassland (flammable), eucalyptus forest (extremely flammable), and pine plantations (HOLY CARP IT WILL BURRRRRNNNNNNN!!!!!).
4. The above three points mean that we have MASSIVE fire danger. Yes, it's been raining lately - more than usual, in fact - but we still are technically in drought, we still have a huge water shortage, and all the rain has been doing is temporarily damping things down. When/where you dropped that cigarette, things were bone dry.
5. Did you miss all the radio/TV/newspaper ads that have been nagging people to not drop cigarette butts out their car windows etc?
6. Did you miss the LARGE FIRE with EVACUATIONS less than a week ago?!

And finally,

7. When you got back on the bus and snottily informed me "It was on the dirt, not the grass, love", for one thing you were lying - and for another, "love"?! Buzz off.

Lest anyone think I was overreacting... well, before 2003 I would have thought I was overreacting. In 2003, however, Canberra found out that we are not immune to bushfires; we'd just been incredibly lucky for something like 50 years. Every year there would be fires around Sydney, fires in Victoria, fires in Tasmania, you name it but Canberra did not get fires at all. Then in 2003 about three-quarters of the Australian Capital Territory burned, five HUNDRED houses were destroyed, and several people died. Have a look at the animated map on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Canberra_bushfires - it's freaking scary. I nearly lost my house, my best friends got forcibly evacuated twice, and the Good Ethnic Boy's garden and house were temporarily taken over by a giant flock of exhausted birds fleeing the fires.

That was nearly seven years ago. We haven't had a major fire since. That's about the right amount of time for a good fuel load to build back up.

So yeah... be thankful I didn't call the police to report you for littering and nearly causing a fire. IDIOT.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #22929 on: August 17, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »
A particular father in Sam's Club was very SS today.

He was letting his oldest child push a cart with another child in it. No, let me rephrase that. He was letting his oldest child, who was cackling like a banshee, run pell-mell through the aisles pushing that cart at full speed while other child shrieked in what I wasn't sure was fear, glee or some strange combination of the two. And this being a warehouse store, that shrieking was echoing, making it even more ear-piercing.

But why was child 2 shrieking?

Because SS father, pushing ANOTHER cart with youngest child in it, was CHASING AFTER oldest child at full speed, laughing maniacally as if this were some sort of exciting game, whilst youngest child also shrieked at the tops of its very substantial lungs. And how do I know this was all a game? Because SS father could be heard jovially encouraging oldest child to "run faster or I'll get ya!" very much like two schoolchildren might do on their playground at recess.

A rather dumbfounded look was shared between me and the parents once this Benny Hill chase from hell was finally out of sight. But alas, not out of earshot. *sigh*

(It wasn't worth telling an employee. Not a one of the many in that area even looked up, and the motley crew didn't even come close to running into anyone, so really, what could they do?)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #22930 on: August 17, 2013, 10:45:13 PM »
Small pet peeve of mine, but I was in the kids' consignment shop today, fairly small shop, and there was a little girl who was running around and screaming.  And I do mean all out, top of lungs, shrillest sound you will hear coming from a child's mouth, type of scream.  <sigh>  It was painful.  Her father was right with her and it didn't seem to bother him at all, as he continued to interact with her as if screaming were a perfectly normal thing to do.  At least it was a happy scream, which sounds slightly more pleasant than a pain/unhappy scream.  But not much.

Iris

« Reply #22931 on: August 17, 2013, 11:18:41 PM »

Ooooh yes. I can't believe I didn't think to add this story to the thread before, but here goes - the following is copied from a November 2009 post on my blog, with a couple of words edited so that the profanity filters don't get mad at me. :P

(snipped for length)

So yeah... be thankful I didn't call the police to report you for littering and nearly causing a fire. IDIOT.

I was actually thinking of that type of thing while people were posting about this. Throw a cigarette butt out the window in an Australian summer and you can make headlines... After one particularly bad year I remember my ordinarily mild mannered boss telling off a fellow motorist for doing just that. So unbelievably stupid and selfish.

Yet I still see people do it occasionally.  :-\
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Jocelyn

« Reply #22932 on: August 18, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »
Restaurant SS's:
This restaurant has a vestibule that juts out. There are doors from the outside to the vestibule on the N and W walls, the E wall is 2 doors between the vestibule and the restaurant, and the south wall is plain glass.
Some SS's had tied their dogs to one of the east wall's door handles. The dogs were inside the vestibule, and a little girl was crying because every time she tried to leave, the dogs would jump up on her. They were friendly dogs, just wanting to play, which is what I'm sure the SSs would offer as their defense. But to tie your dogs inside the vestibule? Where all the customers had to step over and around them to come and go?
There was no table in the restaurant that had a view of the vestibule, so it wasn't because they were keeping an eye on the dogs. It was a balmy 74 degrees, so the dogs would have been fine tied up in a car with the windows down, and because the restaurant wasn't busy, it would have been a piece of cake for the SSs to have asked for a table where they could see their car. There was an iron fence to which the doors could have been tied (admittedly, the terrain around it wasn't very cozy for dogs), and several handicapped parking signs; there was even a bike rack on a bit of greenspace! Instead, they tied up their dogs in the spot most likely to experience solar heating, not to mention to annoy other customers. I wondered how many dog-phobic people had turned away rather than eating there as planned.

doodlemor

« Reply #22933 on: August 18, 2013, 09:54:31 PM »
We spotted two special snowflake men at supper tonight in a restaurant, who were *vacationing* from watching their young boys.  We were in a casual lakeside restaurant in a small town resort area, and the place was reasonably busy.  Two men were at a table near us with two young boys about 5 and 10 or so.  Either one or both of the men appeared to be fathers of the children.

The younger child got rather energetic and noisy, and was running circles in the corner near their table as they sat and finished eating.  The place tends to be noisy, so this wasn't really bothersome.  After more shenanigans by the younger child the men let the boys leave by themselves for a time.  I'm not sure where they went, but I was concerned for their safety.  They could have been in the arcade game area in the building , or at the playground outside.  They could have decided to go out on any of the private boat docks nearby along the shore.  After about 10 or 15 minutes the little boy came running back in the same way that he went running out.  Fortunately he didn't run into any servers or patrons.  His apparent brother followed at a more normal pace.

I probably sound like an old crank, but I was concerned for the boys well being when they were seemingly without supervision.  The restaurant in on a little point that actually sticks out into the lake, and some of the restaurant decks are over the water.  There is a ferry boat there, and a swimming beach across the street.  The little kid tended to move very quickly, and I didn't like the idea of no adult watching him around so much water. 

This is a very busy area, too.  Even though it is a small town, in the summer people come from many places to enjoy the activities.  We see license plates from all over the eastern US, and also from Canada.  If someone had taken one of those young boys they could have been miles down the interstate before the men who were enjoying their chat and beverages at the table knew that the child was missing. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #22934 on: August 19, 2013, 04:52:57 AM »
Encountered a SS while grocery shopping yesterday.

We've got a full cart, and we find an aisle with only one cart in it, and we think SCORE!  So we go in and just as I start loading the belt, a woman cuts around us and puts a loaf of Italian bread on the belt in front of our stuff.  And then sends her kid to go get something else!  M and I were completely flabbergasted.  I know what I should have done is tell this woman to get behind us (or, hey, go to the express lane, where your one item that magically becomes two would be better served anyway.)  But I'm very non-confrontational, and I don't go out much so my spine doesn't get the exercise it really should.

So there we were, M and I, for TEN MINUTES while her kid goes to get a package of ham.  We should have been through and out the door, but nooo.

To top off all of this, as we're walking back to the car, we see someone has parked their Ford Extralarge across two parking spaces.  Who DOES that?