Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5046138 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22935 on: August 19, 2013, 06:51:23 AM »
 Extra Special pair of Snowflakes at work.

We won't give out new/duplicate keys without a photo ID which must match the name of someone registered in the room. (The exception would be longtime regulars whom we recognize on sight.)

A man came in and asked for a duplicate key. There was only one person registered in the room ; a woman. I said sorry she'll have to come inside with photo ID. He tried to argue with me. I refused. He -I think - recognized that I wasn't going to budge and said "well can you have security meet us at the room with the key?" I said sure and he left.

My security reported back. The man was a cab driver. The woman wasn't drunk or impaired; she just thought it was beneath her to walk 30 feet into a lobby and ask for a new key. That's what cabdrivers are for.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #22936 on: August 19, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »
Restaurant SS's:
This restaurant has a vestibule that juts out. There are doors from the outside to the vestibule on the N and W walls, the E wall is 2 doors between the vestibule and the restaurant, and the south wall is plain glass.
Some SS's had tied their dogs to one of the east wall's door handles. The dogs were inside the vestibule, and a little girl was crying because every time she tried to leave, the dogs would jump up on her. They were friendly dogs, just wanting to play, which is what I'm sure the SSs would offer as their defense. But to tie your dogs inside the vestibule? Where all the customers had to step over and around them to come and go?
There was no table in the restaurant that had a view of the vestibule, so it wasn't because they were keeping an eye on the dogs. It was a balmy 74 degrees, so the dogs would have been fine tied up in a car with the windows down, and because the restaurant wasn't busy, it would have been a piece of cake for the SSs to have asked for a table where they could see their car. There was an iron fence to which the doors could have been tied (admittedly, the terrain around it wasn't very cozy for dogs), and several handicapped parking signs; there was even a bike rack on a bit of greenspace! Instead, they tied up their dogs in the spot most likely to experience solar heating, not to mention to annoy other customers. I wondered how many dog-phobic people had turned away rather than eating there as planned.

I'd say the SS action was taking the dogs someplace where they weren't actually welcome (i.e. vet, groomer, Pet Smart) in addition to putting the animals in an unsafe place.

But just had to add -- it really doesn't have to be that warm outside before the inside of a car becomes dangerously hot for an animal left inside.  If there's sun, even at 60 degrees, the car's interior can get over 100 in about a half hour (and continues to climb if more time).   Stanford University ran an experiment that found that regardless of ambient temp, if the sun is out, there's an average 40 degree increase in temp inside the car in a half hour and cracking windows and/or running the a/c before parking didn't make a difference.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #22937 on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:03 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, DH and I drove out to a BBQ place and upon returning down the many aisles of parking to get to our car, heard a dog's barking.

It was still 100 degrees, if not more, outside after 6pm, so I went looking for the doggie. 

It was a small poodle, in the back seat, with a bit of window cracked, and the dog was wearing a jacket/vest!!?!

I was in the process of calling 911 when the owners came up and got in without a glance and drove away. 

This place does not do To Go orders, so I hope they were just dropping something off.  No way that dog could have survived long.

I had a cup of ice water in the car and the ice had long melted in just the 45-50 minutes we were inside. 

Poor doggie!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22938 on: August 19, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »
HoneyBee42 wrote:

"But just had to add -- it really doesn't have to be that warm outside before the inside of a car becomes dangerously hot for an animal left inside.  If there's sun, even at 60 degrees, the car's interior can get over 100 in about a half hour (and continues to climb if more time).   Stanford University ran an experiment that found that regardless of ambient temp, if the sun is out, there's an average 40 degree increase in temp inside the car in a half hour and cracking windows and/or running the a/c before parking didn't make a difference."

In her defense, she said "...with the windows down..." which will make all the difference.  Leaving a small gap (the "cracking windows" that the study addressed) won't help the temperature equalize but rolling the windows all the way down will allow the car to remain at the ambient temperature of wherever it's parked.

Virg

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #22939 on: August 19, 2013, 10:20:11 PM »
And don't get me started about people who just toss their cigarette butts onto the ground.
We call them "butt-heads" ... but we keep our windows closed when we do. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22940 on: August 20, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
SS is shocked you have to pay taxes on game show prizes
http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/price-8230-taxes-high-174700410.html

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #22941 on: August 20, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »

I must admit, I find the idea of paying tax on the value of a prize such as a car a bit odd.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22942 on: August 20, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »

I must admit, I find the idea of paying tax on the value of a prize such as a car a bit odd.

Just wondering are you in the US?

A prize is considered a gift, you have to pay taxes on the value of the gift.

EMuir

« Reply #22943 on: August 20, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »
I don't know if that's SS... in Canada prizes aren't taxed.  It seems a bit evil for the govt to tax prizes, IMHO, especially non-cash ones.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22944 on: August 20, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »

I don't think shocked that they have to pay taxes as shocked that you have to pay taxes before you are allowed to pick things up. I always thought you paid the taxes when you file - not before you pick up the new car you just won. That would be hard for a lot of people - to come up with the tax money within 90 days.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #22945 on: August 20, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »

Nope, UK, no tax on prizes here AFAIK.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:33:41 PM by RingTailedLemur »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22946 on: August 20, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »

I don't think shocked that they have to pay taxes as shocked that you have to pay taxes before you are allowed to pick things up. I always thought you paid the taxes when you file - not before you pick up the new car you just won. That would be hard for a lot of people - to come up with the tax money within 90 days.

it's kind of a catch 22.  The recipient doesn't HAVE to pay taxes until they file.  However, the donor doesn't HAVE to release the gift until their conditions are met.  One of those conditions may be that the taxes are paid before the delivery of the gift. 

My old roommate in Chicago was one of the people who was in the audience when Oprah gave away a Pontiac G6.  The show paid for all of the STATE/LOCAL taxes and fees, but not the federal taxes.  Me and her mom helped her pay the tax so she could keep the car. 

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22947 on: August 20, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »
And don't get me started about people who just toss their cigarette butts onto the ground.

My ex boyfriend was a smoker. He once tossed a cigarette butt out the window while he was driving. It flew back in, landed on his crotch, burned him, then rolled onto the seat and burned a hole in it while he was swatting at the butt trying to get it out of his lap.

Similar thing happened to my sister, except it landed in the back seat of her car and she had to pull over to put it out. It burned a great big hole in her back seat.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22948 on: August 20, 2013, 01:57:49 PM »

I thought it was considered income, but that's just nit-picking.

Having to come up with taxes before collecting the prize would be a PITA though, for something like a car. I wonder, though, if you have the option of getting cash value instead of the actual vehicle, can they just deduct taxes from the cash?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22949 on: August 20, 2013, 01:59:29 PM »

My ex boyfriend was a smoker. He once tossed a cigarette butt out the window while he was driving. It flew back in, landed on his crotch, burned him, then rolled onto the seat and burned a hole in it while he was swatting at the butt trying to get it out of his lap.

Similar thing happened to my sister, except it landed in the back seat of her car and she had to pull over to put it out. It burned a great big hole in her back seat.

I seem to recall a movie... Reality Bites, maybe? There's a scene where someone throws a butt out a window and it lands on papers in someone else's car, starts a fire, and causes a crash. Thankfully, no serious injuries.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture