Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5299907 times)

Cami

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22965 on: August 21, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »
SS in the 20 items or less lane at Walmart:
I got in the line, and there were 2 people ahead of me. The first one checked out quickly, and then the next one stepped up with a box of packages of chewing gum. No problem, right?
Then the cashier rang up one package of gum. The lady swiped her debit card, typed in her pin number and punched the cash back button. The cashier opened her drawer, counted out $100 to her, closed the drawer and handed her the receipt. Then she picked up another package of gum....
After the third package, I couldn't help saying, "Are you ringing all those up separately?" (Maybe I should have kept my mouth closed, but this is the express checkout.) The cashier said, "This is the only way my supervisor said we could do this." and picked up the next package. By this time, there were several people behind me, and I'm looking around for another line. After 7 or 8 transactions, the customer finally realized that what she was doing was really holding things up and took what she had and left. The cashier told me she wanted $1900 from her debit card.
I can't imagine assuming that the express lane at Walmart would have that much cash at once, or that doing 19 individual transactions in the express lane or any other lane. That's what banks are for. I guess it there could have been some kind of emergency, but the supervisor could have opened a lane to help her, or sent her to customer service.

She shouldn't have been holding up the line, but there may be logical reasons for what she did:

Maybe she wasn't near her bank and was trying to avoid the ATM fees. I know my dd's bank charges an ATM fee of $2.50 for any withdrawal transaction not part of their network. So when she was away at an internship, she often would go to the grocery or Walmart and buy some small needed item to make a cash withdrawal that way instead. When your'e a poor college student, $2.50 is a lot of money.

I don't know why she'd do that many transactions unless perhaps the store had a $110 cap on cash back from a debit card purchase.

Goosey

« Reply #22966 on: August 21, 2013, 08:56:38 AM »
I got in the line, and there were 2 people ahead of me. The first one checked out quickly, and then the next one stepped up with a box of packages of chewing gum. No problem, right?
Then the cashier rang up one package of gum. The lady swiped her debit card, typed in her pin number and punched the cash back button. The cashier opened her drawer, counted out $100 to her, closed the drawer and handed her the receipt. Then she picked up another package of gum....
After the third package, I couldn't help saying, "Are you ringing all those up separately?" (Maybe I should have kept my mouth closed, but this is the express checkout.) The cashier said, "This is the only way my supervisor said we could do this." and picked up the next package. By this time, there were several people behind me, and I'm looking around for another line. After 7 or 8 transactions, the customer finally realized that what she was doing was really holding things up and took what she had and left. The cashier told me she wanted $1900 from her debit card.
I can't imagine assuming that the express lane at Walmart would have that much cash at once, or that doing 19 individual transactions in the express lane or any other lane. That's what banks are for. I guess it there could have been some kind of emergency, but the supervisor could have opened a lane to help her, or sent her to customer service.

She shouldn't have been holding up the line, but there may be logical reasons for what she did:

Maybe she wasn't near her bank and was trying to avoid the ATM fees. I know my dd's bank charges an ATM fee of $2.50 for any withdrawal transaction not part of their network. So when she was away at an internship, she often would go to the grocery or Walmart and buy some small needed item to make a cash withdrawal that way instead. When your'e a poor college student, $2.50 is a lot of money.

I don't know why she'd do that many transactions unless perhaps the store had a $110 cap on cash back from a debit card purchase.
But she was buying gum with each withdrawal, so it couldn't have been the $2 savings.

In any case, it should have been done at customer service. But that's more on WalMart than the woman.

bloo

« Reply #22967 on: August 21, 2013, 09:36:37 AM »

But she was buying gum with each withdrawal, so it couldn't have been the $2 savings.

In any case, it should have been done at customer service. But that's more on WalMart than the woman.

I'm surprised it didn't occur to the cashier to turn off her light (you know, the one signaling that her lane is open?) so a line wouldn't build up behind SS.

I'm also surprised that the drawer would have over $1900 of cash to give to SS.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22968 on: August 21, 2013, 09:47:24 AM »
The $7000 was how much someone in the very highest tax bracket would owe to the IRS.  The amount of taxes owed is based on your personal tax bracket.  I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but I chipped in about $250 towards her tax bill.  Her mother chipped in more than I did.  I think she owed around $1000 or so. 

They had to sign a waiver when they got to set.  The waiver did say that any prizes given on the show are subject to Local/State/Federal taxes.  However, there was nothing that said that the donor could withhold the prize until you paid all applicable taxes.  That's what people don't understand when they go on these shows.

When you get a gift/prize, the donor has to issue a W2, and the recipient has to complete a 1099-G so it's not like the IRS won't know that someone received a gift/prize.  I think it's a bit of bait and switch on the part of the donors to withhold the prizes like that without telling people ahead of time.

The government wants its taxes, and it doesn't want to wait until April 15 the receive them as it needs money throughout the year to pay for things too.  So the IRS must require that estimated taxes are paid for the prize when it  is received otherwise it would have to wait until you filed your taxes.  Also this way they are sure to get your tax money because you cannot get the item without paying estimated tax.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #22969 on: August 21, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »
This one made me run the whole gamut of  :o :'( ::) >:( . . .

One of my very good friends (Beth) was taking an exercise class and had to keep checking her phone when she got texts.  Complete Stranger (CS) got nosy:

CS: Hey, why do you keep checking your phone?

Beth: Oh, my son has special needs and the school has to be able to reach me if there's a problem.

CS (even though it was none of her business): What's wrong with him?

Beth (used to the question, even though people should know better) gave a quick rundown of his condition.  Basically: it's rare, it's severe, it's degenerative, and it's terminal, and it causes a wide variety of problems.  She's got a thirty-second spiel and most people are so stunned by the "terminal" part that they back off.  Not CS.

CS gives Beth a wholly unsolicited hug, even though they're both sweaty from exercising and Beth is giving off "why the heck are you trying to touch me" vibes.  Then says, "Oh honey, God has a plan for you and your son!  Don't worry!"

Beth: (internally) What, is my son DYING part of this great plan?  And how would you know?  I'm pretty sure you get your own book of the Bible if you're in that direct contact!  (out loud) *pointed silence*

CS (ignoring the obvious uncomfortable silence entirely): But why would the school be calling you?

Beth (wanting to get away from CS but can't because of the format of the class): Sometimes he has problems with his breathing, and they need to let me know if he's has an episode.

CS: Wow, I don't know if I agree with that!  Why do they let kids like that go to school, anyway?

Beth told me she walked away before she hauled off and hit the lady . . . I know we don't normally condone violence here on eHell, but I can't say that I would have blamed her  >:(

I wouldn't have blamed her either, but glad she walked away.  SS would have probably sued or something.

snowdragon

« Reply #22970 on: August 21, 2013, 10:12:42 AM »

One of my very good friends (Beth) was taking an exercise class and had to keep checking her phone when she got texts.  Complete Stranger (CS) got nosy:

Beth: Oh, my son has special needs and the school has to be able to reach me if there's a problem.

Beth (used to the question, even though people should know better) gave a quick rundown of his condition.  Basically: it's rare, it's severe, it's degenerative, and it's terminal, and it causes a wide variety of problems.  She's got a thirty-second spiel and most people are so stunned by the "terminal" part that they back off.  Not CS.

CS gives Beth a wholly unsolicited hug, even though they're both sweaty from exercising and Beth is giving off "why the heck are you trying to touch me" vibes.  Then says, "Oh honey, God has a plan for you and your son!  Don't worry!"

Beth: (internally) What, is my son DYING part of this great plan?  And how would you know?  I'm pretty sure you get your own book of the Bible if you're in that direct contact!  (out loud) *pointed silence*

CS (ignoring the obvious uncomfortable silence entirely): But why would the school be calling you?

Beth (wanting to get away from CS but can't because of the format of the class): Sometimes he has problems with his breathing, and they need to let me know if he's has an episode.

CS: Wow, I don't know if I agree with that!  Why do they let kids like that go to school, anyway?

Beth told me she walked away before she hauled off and hit the lady . . . I know we don't normally condone violence here on eHell, but I can't say that I would have blamed her  >:(

I wouldn't have blamed her either, but glad she walked away.  SS would have probably sued or something.

I would have told her that it's not her business from the get go. But had she gotten this far, no I would not have blamed anyone for putting the fear of whatever into her.

Cherry91

« Reply #22971 on: August 21, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »

I would have told her that it's not her business from the get go. But had she gotten this far, no I would not have blamed anyone for putting the fear of whatever into her.

This reminds me of a thing I saw online earlier in the week (I half hope it's fake...) when a woman with a disabled child received an anonymous letter demanding that she move away because her child was "scaring all the other children", and what was she thinking trying to let her son have a normal life, didn't she know that once his parents died no one would be willing to look after him. The letter ended with a suggestion that she may as well "put her son out of his misery" and also repeatedly referred to the poor woman's son as an animal. And this is the scrubbed version - the letter itself is a vile thing full of hate and bile.

snowdragon

« Reply #22972 on: August 21, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »

This reminds me of a thing I saw online earlier in the week (I half hope it's fake...) when a woman with a disabled child received an anonymous letter demanding that she move away because her child was "scaring all the other children", and what was she thinking trying to let her son have a normal life, didn't she know that once his parents died no one would be willing to look after him. The letter ended with a suggestion that she may as well "put her son out of his misery" and also repeatedly referred to the poor woman's son as an animal. And this is the scrubbed version - the letter itself is a vile thing full of hate and bile.

I saw that. It's revolting.

Hillia

« Reply #22973 on: August 21, 2013, 10:49:57 AM »
My brother and SIL have one son with autism.  They work very, very hard with him.  Once they went to the community pool - where they paid a serious membership fee - with all the kids. Normal procedure was for Bro to take the older kids to regular pool, and SIL would take the child with autism to the kiddie pool.  She always sat within 3 feet of him and interacted with him constantly, monitoring his behavior and mood so she could take action immediately if necessary.

This particular day they get to the pool and find out that the kiddie pool is closed because the drain is broken.  So they head over to the regular pool, which, as luck would have it, had just started the 15 minute 'adult swim'.  Nephew loves the pool, and was very upset that he couldn't get in *right now*.  SIL takes him over to a far corner of the pool area to contain him somewhat while she waits for adult swim to be over.

Two women accost her and give her all kinds of grief for 'kids like him ruining everything' at the pool with his meltdown, and anyway it was his fault the kiddie pool was unavailable - everyone knows autistic kids have superhuman strength, and he was in the pool the last day it was open, so he obviously did something to the drain system to break it.  SIL managed to hold it together at the time, but a  long conversation with the pool management committee resulted in the two women who had attacked her losing their memberships.  Bro and SIL declined to renew the next year anyway.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22974 on: August 21, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »
http://fox59.com/2013/08/19/woman-wants-changes-at-library-after-grandson-checks-out-erotic-novel/#axzz2cWeZf4xd

To summarize - kid checks out adult erotic novel; grandma wants the novel removed from the library.  I agree with the library - the adult responsible for what this kid reads is not a library staff member.   I personally find this SS because her answer is to remove the book instead of suggesting that the erotic books and childrens books be moved so that they aren't on either side of the bookcase from each other (I could see how that would not be very clear to a child).  But removing the book entirely is like burning the forest because you don't like one type of flower that grows there.

The kid used the self-checkout, so even if the books were moved he could still have picked it up and walked out without a staff member ever seeing it. And we aren't allowed to censor people's reading anyway.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #22975 on: August 21, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »

In our store, the customer would have been sent to the money center, or customer service. If there is enough money in your drawer to give a customer $1900, and not need a loan, there should have been a money pull done.  Sometimes ATMs have a limit on how much can be withdrawn, per day, per customer, and with reloadable money cards, many people don't have actual bank accounts anymore.

If a customer has a reloadable Walmart money card, they can go to customer service, or the money center, and just have an unload done, at no charge. FOr the customer in the above, if she found the .25 cent pack of Wriggley gum, her 19 transaction fee would woul be around $5 in Wisconsin. Far cheaper than ATM fees. 

I've seen customers do this on the self check registers, but not a regular cashier.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #22976 on: August 21, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »

Unfortunately, it isn't fake.  I am stunned at the vitriol and outright cruelty in the letter, it broke my heart.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #22977 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »

I saw that too, and I agree, it's revolting. I can only imagine what she tells her kids. Dog forbid, she or one of her kids ever have a kid that is't "perfect".

NyaChan

« Reply #22978 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
I don't know why, but as I read it, I wondered if maybe it was someone pretending to be an angry neighbor as some sick prank. 

snowdragon

« Reply #22979 on: August 21, 2013, 11:59:22 AM »
I saw that too, and I agree, it's revolting. I can only imagine what she tells her kids. Dog forbid, she or one of her kids ever have a kid that is't "perfect".

At that point she will probably land herself on the neighbors doorstep, crying and begging forgiveness...because she "needs" it .