Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5535417 times)

MrTango

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22980 on: August 21, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »
Had I been the delivery driver, I would have called the police, explained that I am attempting to make a delivery to [address] and that there was a woman blocking the street and screaming at me.

Then, I'd let them remove the obstruction so that I could get on with my work.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #22981 on: August 21, 2013, 01:19:13 PM »
Why do I get the feeling that Tammy looks for ways to be difficult?  I would hate to live inside her head.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Hillia

« Reply #22982 on: August 21, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »
This reminds me of the neighbors who taunted the child with Huntington's disease in Michigan. I don't know how any human being could stoop that low. I hope the police and crime analysis staff can find the source and speak with them.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/terminally-ill-year-olds-family-bullied-neighbors/story?id=11851233

They know exactly who did it; the nasty scumbags were very proud of it and appeared on television to gloat.  They were very surprised to find that the rest of the world didn't share their high opinion of themselves.  The woman offered the classic non-apology and couldn't believe people were still thinking of her as a child-hater. http://trenton-grosseile.patch.com/groups/editors-picks/p/exclusive-jennifer-petkov-says-im-sorry-wishes-to-move-on-2

There were no criminal charges possible due to the Facebook incident, but she did receive 18 months probation for attempting to run over a neighbor with her car.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22983 on: August 21, 2013, 01:45:41 PM »
I was equating the Michigan case with the one in Canada about the letter to the mother of an autistic child.

daisy1679

« Reply #22984 on: August 21, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
This reminds me of the neighbors who taunted the child with Huntington's disease in Michigan. I don't know how any human being could stoop that low. I hope the police and crime analysis staff can find the source and speak with them.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/terminally-ill-year-olds-family-bullied-neighbors/story?id=11851233

They know exactly who did it; the nasty scumbags were very proud of it and appeared on television to gloat.  They were very surprised to find that the rest of the world didn't share their high opinion of themselves.  The woman offered the classic non-apology and couldn't believe people were still thinking of her as a child-hater. http://trenton-grosseile.patch.com/groups/editors-picks/p/exclusive-jennifer-petkov-says-im-sorry-wishes-to-move-on-2

There were no criminal charges possible due to the Facebook incident, but she did receive 18 months probation for attempting to run over a neighbor with her car.

I live near there, and I know that Petkov moved out of her home for a little while (that was part of her plea arrangement for the probation) and started harassing the Edwards again as soon as she moved back home. She may have stopped now, but she definitely continued long after these incidents were brought to national attention, so I don't think she should surprised what people think of her.

Poppea

« Reply #22985 on: August 21, 2013, 02:59:36 PM »
^ Or they could have left the poor dogs at home.
They may have been traveling and couldn't.  The few times we traveled with our dog, she was left in the car, windows open, a special short leash fastened through the center back seat belt so that she could stick her nose out the window but not get out.  And we got the table nearest the window, so we could keep an eye on her.  I think once or twice someone went outside to reassure her that she hadn't been abandoned.   One day when it was REALLY hot, I stayed in the car with her, engine running from time to time to use the AC.  DH got my lunch in a to-go box and brought it out to me.

I've traveled with my dog.  That meant that I did NOT leave to dog in the car or vestibule of a restaurant.  It meant I went to drive thru restaurants or "steak n Shake" or Panera semi-fast food restaurants that have outdoor seating.  My choice of traveling companions shouldn't require strangers to be inconvenienced.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22986 on: August 21, 2013, 03:44:06 PM »
They may have been traveling and couldn't.  The few times we traveled with our dog, she was left in the car, windows open, a special short leash fastened through the center back seat belt so that she could stick her nose out the window but not get out.  And we got the table nearest the window, so we could keep an eye on her.  I think once or twice someone went outside to reassure her that she hadn't been abandoned.   One day when it was REALLY hot, I stayed in the car with her, engine running from time to time to use the AC.  DH got my lunch in a to-go box and brought it out to me.

I've traveled with my dog.  That meant that I did NOT leave to dog in the car or vestibule of a restaurant.  It meant I went to drive thru restaurants or "steak n Shake" or Panera semi-fast food restaurants that have outdoor seating.  My choice of traveling companions shouldn't require strangers to be inconvenienced.

I don't have a dog, but this is what I'd do - i'd do wahtever to keep her comfy while i ran in to use the facilities, and maybe grab soem food, but then head back out to the car to eat.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #22987 on: August 21, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »

Why do I get the feeling that Tammy looks for ways to be difficult?  I would hate to live inside her head.

People like her are not happy, ever, and they try and make everyone around them as miserable as they are.  I had an older gentleman come through my line one morning, and I accidentally rang up a roll of papertowels twice. Usually I catch the mistake, but this time I did not. I had it fixed right away, at my register, instead of sending him to customer service. He accused me of doing it on purpose just to make him angry. The self control I had that day was amazing, as the sarcastic me wanted nothing more than to say "Sir, you are completely correct, I waited specifically for you to come through my line, just to make you mad."

Had I been the delivery driver, I would have called the police, explained that I am attempting to make a delivery to [address] and that there was a woman blocking the street and screaming at me.

Then, I'd let them remove the obstruction so that I could get on with my work.

This would have been completely acceptable.

dawnfire

« Reply #22988 on: August 21, 2013, 07:18:29 PM »
SS in the 20 items or less lane at Walmart:
I got in the line, and there were 2 people ahead of me. The first one checked out quickly, and then the next one stepped up with a box of packages of chewing gum. No problem, right?
Then the cashier rang up one package of gum. The lady swiped her debit card, typed in her pin number and punched the cash back button. The cashier opened her drawer, counted out $100 to her, closed the drawer and handed her the receipt. Then she picked up another package of gum....
After the third package, I couldn't help saying, "Are you ringing all those up separately?" (Maybe I should have kept my mouth closed, but this is the express checkout.) The cashier said, "This is the only way my supervisor said we could do this." and picked up the next package. By this time, there were several people behind me, and I'm looking around for another line. After 7 or 8 transactions, the customer finally realized that what she was doing was really holding things up and took what she had and left. The cashier told me she wanted $1900 from her debit card.
I can't imagine assuming that the express lane at Walmart would have that much cash at once, or that doing 19 individual transactions in the express lane or any other lane. That's what banks are for. I guess it there could have been some kind of emergency, but the supervisor could have opened a lane to help her, or sent her to customer service.

She shouldn't have been holding up the line, but there may be logical reasons for what she did:

Maybe she wasn't near her bank and was trying to avoid the ATM fees. I know my dd's bank charges an ATM fee of $2.50 for any withdrawal transaction not part of their network. So when she was away at an internship, she often would go to the grocery or Walmart and buy some small needed item to make a cash withdrawal that way instead. When your'e a poor college student, $2.50 is a lot of money.

I don't know why she'd do that many transactions unless perhaps the store had a $110 cap on cash back from a debit card purchase.
But she was buying gum with each withdrawal, so it couldn't have been the $2 savings.

In any case, it should have been done at customer service. But that's more on WalMart than the woman.

I'm surprised it didn't occur to the cashier to turn off her light (you know, the one signaling that her lane is open?) so a line wouldn't build up behind SS.

I'm also surprised that the drawer would have over $1900 of cash to give to SS.

I'm surprised too. When I worked in a supermarket when my till go over $1000, it had to go to the cash office.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22989 on: August 21, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
My brother and SIL have one son with autism.  They work very, very hard with him.  Once they went to the community pool - where they paid a serious membership fee - with all the kids. Normal procedure was for Bro to take the older kids to regular pool, and SIL would take the child with autism to the kiddie pool.  She always sat within 3 feet of him and interacted with him constantly, monitoring his behavior and mood so she could take action immediately if necessary.

This particular day they get to the pool and find out that the kiddie pool is closed because the drain is broken.  So they head over to the regular pool, which, as luck would have it, had just started the 15 minute 'adult swim'.  Nephew loves the pool, and was very upset that he couldn't get in *right now*.  SIL takes him over to a far corner of the pool area to contain him somewhat while she waits for adult swim to be over.

Two women accost her and give her all kinds of grief for 'kids like him ruining everything' at the pool with his meltdown, and anyway it was his fault the kiddie pool was unavailable - everyone knows autistic kids have superhuman strength, and he was in the pool the last day it was open, so he obviously did something to the drain system to break it.  SIL managed to hold it together at the time, but a  long conversation with the pool management committee resulted in the two women who had attacked her losing their memberships.  Bro and SIL declined to renew the next year anyway.
Good for the management. People like those 2 women should be shunned by everyone and banned from public places for their behavior.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Ginger G

« Reply #22990 on: August 22, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »

That is the absolute truth about her.  Here's another story from a few months ago.

Jerry's MIL had passed away, and after the funeral Jerry and his wife Gina had a small gathering at their home for friends and family.  I was sick in bed, but Mr. G went over there.  While he was there Jerry asked him if he could make a run to the grocery store for some ice.  Mr. G was walking back to our house (in the street, not Tammy's yard) when Tammy came out and started going off to him about there being cars parked in front of her house and there were children that were running around in Jerry's backyard and had apparently inadvertently crossed over into Tammy's yard.   Our neighborhood does not allow fences and it can be difficult to tell where the boundaries between some yards are, especially if you are a child that doesn't even live there.  Mr. G was pretty appalled about how mean she was being.  Also another note, at this point Mr. G was pretty much the last person in the neighborhood that would have anything to do with her.  He tried to tell her nicely, " Tammy, Gina's mother died and they just had her funeral, give them a break."  I guess she had expected him to agree with her because she then became infuriated at Mr. G, yelled at him about being a sh###y neighbor, jumped in her car and went squealing off.  I was in bed and heard the squealing tires and reving engine noise so I got up to look out the window and saw her car zooming out of the neighborhood.  I'm just thankful that none of those children were in the street right then!

It gets better though, Tammy has a 40 year old son, Sam, that lives with her.  Sam is a nice guy, but he's not terribly bright and is the kind of person who talks and talks, barely letting anyone else get a word in and likes to tell stories about the things he has supposedly done and the people he supposedly knows.  Let's just say that most of these tales aren't exactly believable.  Anyway, Sam likes Mr. G a lot and often comes over to talk to him when Mr G is outside or in the garage.  A couple of days after the funeral incident, Sam mentioned something about how "Mama got real mad", so Mr. G told him the truth about what happened.

A day or so after that, Mr. G was getting some tools out of the back of his truck and discovered a plastic bag with a couple of items he had loaned to Sam and Tammy with a note stapled to the bag.  The note was written in red Sharpie, and basically said  (the caps are necessary in this case) "YOU ARE A LIAR!!!!!  DO NOT EVER COME NEAR ME OR COME ON MY PROPERTY AGAIN!!!"  Of course, apparently it was okay for her to come onto OUR property to deliver this message!  So now she has alienated the last person in the neighborhood who was still willing to be nice to her.  Then we noticed that Sam had stopped coming over.  When he finally did come over a few weeks later, he was talking to Mr. G when Tammy came out and yelled at him to get back in the house - as if he were a child.  I feel sorry for him, but he's 40 years old and has a job and could move out if he wanted to. 

Xandraea

« Reply #22991 on: August 22, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »

I don't have a dog, but this is what I'd do - i'd do wahtever to keep her comfy while i ran in to use the facilities, and maybe grab soem food, but then head back out to the car to eat.

I have three dogs, and used to live 1000 miles from home. This meant to visit home (which happened somewhat frequently, for holidays, spring breaks, etc.), I piled luggage, one child, three puppies and myself into my vehicle and drove 16 hours.  We usually went straight through, until I found a decent hotel that allowed dogs and didn't mind if I realized around midnight that I needed to stop for a few hours sleep.  ALL other stops were brief, to refuel the car, use facilities, grab a soda, rest my eyes for 20 minutes, or to stop at semi-fast food places where we'd order at a counter and sit within sight of the car, or go right back out to the car.  The only time the dogs got out of the car were on out-of-the way pieces of grass to do their business, then it was right back in.  They really were great travelers, thank goodness, or those drives would have been really hard.

goldilocks

« Reply #22992 on: August 22, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »

I live near there, and I know that Petkov moved out of her home for a little while (that was part of her plea arrangement for the probation) and started harassing the Edwards again as soon as she moved back home. She may have stopped now, but she definitely continued long after these incidents were brought to national attention, so I don't think she should surprised what people think of her.

The latest is a family in Colorado whose neighbors are complaining about the wheelchair ramp they built for their daughter, saying it lowers their home value.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22993 on: August 22, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »
Some people truly are revolting aren't they?  What the heck do they expect the family to do?

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #22994 on: August 22, 2013, 02:21:03 PM »
Some people truly are revolting aren't they?  What the heck do they expect the family to do?

Live in a ghetto with all the other undesirables (i.e. - not like me!)
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy