Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5101903 times)

goldilocks

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22995 on: August 22, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »
This reminds me of the neighbors who taunted the child with Huntington's disease in Michigan. I don't know how any human being could stoop that low. I hope the police and crime analysis staff can find the source and speak with them.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/terminally-ill-year-olds-family-bullied-neighbors/story?id=11851233

They know exactly who did it; the nasty scumbags were very proud of it and appeared on television to gloat.  They were very surprised to find that the rest of the world didn't share their high opinion of themselves.  The woman offered the classic non-apology and couldn't believe people were still thinking of her as a child-hater. http://trenton-grosseile.patch.com/groups/editors-picks/p/exclusive-jennifer-petkov-says-im-sorry-wishes-to-move-on-2

There were no criminal charges possible due to the Facebook incident, but she did receive 18 months probation for attempting to run over a neighbor with her car.

I live near there, and I know that Petkov moved out of her home for a little while (that was part of her plea arrangement for the probation) and started harassing the Edwards again as soon as she moved back home. She may have stopped now, but she definitely continued long after these incidents were brought to national attention, so I don't think she should surprised what people think of her.

The latest is a family in Colorado whose neighbors are complaining about the wheelchair ramp they built for their daughter, saying it lowers their home value.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22996 on: August 22, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »
Some people truly are revolting aren't they?  What the heck do they expect the family to do?

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #22997 on: August 22, 2013, 02:21:03 PM »
Some people truly are revolting aren't they?  What the heck do they expect the family to do?

Live in a ghetto with all the other undesirables (i.e. - not like me!)
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

weeblewobble

« Reply #22998 on: August 22, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »
Just got this from my dad: One of my dad's friends, we'll call him Tony, is one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.  His father was very successful and owned a restaurant that was well-known in the community for several decades, which he wanted to leave to his two sons.  Twenty years ago he offered them both the option of A) taking half ownership of the restaurant or B) taking the cash equivalent of half-ownership and starting their own businesses. Tony's little brother, Scott, took option A and took over the restaurant.  Tony took option B, investing the cash his father gave him into landscaping business, which was something he was passionate about.

Over the next few years the brothers took very different paths. 

Tony's landscaping business really took off and became very successful. He expanded his business, and diversified into several different businesses.  Those businesses also did well, so he is financially very comfortable.  He has shared this with his parents by making sure that all of their needs are taken care of, including buying them a house.

Scott did very little to improve upon/refresh the family restaurant and let it deteriorate into something you'd see on Kitchen Nightmares. It's still open, but it has lost the reputation it had and the clientele has gone elsewhere.

So has Scott decided to change his ways, make changes to the restaurant and pull himself out of this situation?  HECK NO!

Scott has decided that since their parents gave Tony the money to open his first business, Scott deserves a portion of the money Tony has made off of that businesses and all subsequent businesses Tony opened.  It was family money, he says, so the profits should be shared with family.  He handed Tony a statement listing HIS estimate of how much Tony had made over the years and what he considered a "fair" percentage of Tony's earnings to hand over to Scott. 

Tony's response was to laugh because he thought it was a joke. Scott persisted and then upped his estimated percentage based on his annoyance that Tony wouldn't pay immediately. Tony said no in a much more colorful way.

Now, Scott is suing Tony, trying to say that some estate law applies to the money their parents gave Tony twenty years ago. And he's trying to get his name on the deed of the house Tony bought their parents.  AND when Hurricane Sandy destroyed Tony's vacation home, Scott insisted that a portion of the insurance payout should go to him.  Because, of course, the parents' home and the vacation home, were bought with proceeds from Tony's business, so in Scott's mind, he's entitled to those as well.

Tony tried to talk this out with Scott, but now he's just closed his heart off to him and is letting the lawyers handle it.  Scott insisting on part ownership of their parents house was just too much for Tony.  Their parents are very angry with Scott, but won't cut off contact with him.

It's very sad.

MyFamily

« Reply #22999 on: August 22, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »

The latest is a family in Colorado whose neighbors are complaining about the wheelchair ramp they built for their daughter, saying it lowers their home value.

I hadn't seen anything about this one, so I just googled it - oh, my goodness. I'm so angry right now!  I kinda hope that this does go to court so that the family can countersue for all court and legal fees, plus pain and suffering from having to live near such disgusting and nasty people.  I have a friend whose son was in a wheelchair his entire life - it wasn't easy to make wheelchair ramps that were safe and looked "pretty".  Even putting bushes in front of the ramp can cause problems because the branches have to be constantly trimmed so they aren't in the ramp area. 

I truly hope that none of these complaining neighbors are ever in the position of needing a ramp for themselves or a loved one.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

mmswm

« Reply #23000 on: August 22, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »
Just got this from my dad: One of my dad's friends, we'll call him Tony, is one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.  His father was very successful and owned a restaurant that was well-known in the community for several decades, which he wanted to leave to his two sons.  Twenty years ago he offered them both the option of A) taking half ownership of the restaurant or B) taking the cash equivalent of half-ownership and starting their own businesses. Tony's little brother, Scott, took option A and took over the restaurant.  Tony took option B, investing the cash his father gave him into landscaping business, which was something he was passionate about.

Tony's landscaping business really took off and became very successful. He expanded his business, and diversified into several different businesses.  Those businesses also did well, so he is financially very comfortable.  He has shared this with his parents by making sure that all of their needs are taken care of, including buying them a house.

Scott did very little to improve upon/refresh the family restaurant and let it deteriorate into something you'd see on Kitchen Nightmares. It's still open, but it has lost the reputation it had and the clientele has gone elsewhere.

So has Scott decided to change his ways, make changes to the restaurant and pull himself out of this situation?  HECK NO!

Scott has decided that since their parents gave Tony the money to open his first business, Scott deserves a portion of the money Tony has made off of that businesses and all subsequent businesses Tony opened.  It was family money, he says, so the profits should be shared with family.  He handed Tony a statement listing HIS estimate of how much Tony had made over the years and what he considered a "fair" percentage of Tony's earnings to hand over to Scott. 

Tony's response was to laugh because he thought it was a joke. Scott persisted and then upped his estimated percentage based on his annoyance that Tony wouldn't pay immediately. Tony said no in a much more colorful way.

Now, Scott is suing Tony, trying to say that some estate law applies to the money their parents gave Tony twenty years ago. And he's trying to get his name on the deed of the house Tony bought their parents.  AND when Hurricane Sandy destroyed Tony's vacation home, Scott insisted that a portion of the insurance payout should go to him.  Because, of course, the parents' home and the vacation home, were bought with proceeds from Tony's business, so in Scott's mind, he's entitled to those as well.

Tony tried to talk this out with Scott, but now he's just closed his heart off to him and is letting the lawyers handle it.  Scott insisting on part ownership of their parents house was just too much for Tony.  Their parents are very angry with Scott, but won't cut off contact with him.

It's very sad.

How awful.  Change the names and the type of business and you've just described what happened between my father and his brother, when my father began to do really well with his half of their mother's business.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #23001 on: August 22, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »
I truly hope that none of these complaining neighbors are ever in the position of needing a ramp for themselves or a loved one.
You are kinder than I am.  I hope they do need a ramp someday - and one is not available or is blocked by some SS.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23002 on: August 22, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »

Live in a ghetto with all the other undesirables (i.e. - not like me!)
Or institutionalize the child, because EVERYBODY knows that ALL handicapped children have no more brains than a head of lettuce and should be put away where other people don't have to think about them.   ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23003 on: August 22, 2013, 04:03:17 PM »
We must be in the same family, because that is what my maternal line did with several of my cousins.

Back to SS:
People who don't pay attention when it is their turn to go through an intersection, then they run the red light. I have seen this every day this week!

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #23004 on: August 22, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »

It's very sad.

How awful.  Change the names and the type of business and you've just described what happened between my father and his brother, when my father began to do really well with his half of their mother's business.

Ugh. My uncle tried pulling something similar. He went whining to his parents with "Sis#1 (my mom) has a house, and Sis#2 has a house, but I don't!" He expected the parents to correct this travesty!

Yeah, the reason Sis#1 has a house is because she worked hard for it, and Sis#2 inherited hers through her DH. Parents informed him that they were not going to hand him a house on a silver platter.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23005 on: August 22, 2013, 05:53:38 PM »

It's very sad.

What was the outcome?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #23006 on: August 22, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »
Ugh. My uncle tried pulling something similar. He went whining to his parents with "Sis#1 (my mom) has a house, and Sis#2 has a house, but I don't!" He expected the parents to correct this travesty!

Yeah, the reason Sis#1 has a house is because she worked hard for it, and Sis#2 inherited hers through her DH. Parents informed him that they were not going to hand him a house on a silver platter.
Why not? Don't they love him?  Isn't owning a house a basic civil right?  They are denying him his right to have a house on a silver platter that he did not have to earn with even one tiny drop of sweat from his brow.  His parents should be ashamed of themselves and immediately buy Uncle a McMansion in a respectable neighborhood, one with no handicapped children. >:D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:02:12 PM by Midnight Kitty »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23007 on: August 22, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »
The people driving in front of and behind me today on the expressway.

The expressway has a 65mph speed limit. I was in the middle lane (five lanes total on this expressway). The woman in front of me suddenly slowed way down, then slammed on her brakes and came to a complete stop because she wanted to get into the lane to the right, but traffic hadn't cleared enough for her to get over. Rather than simply adjusting her speed and waiting for an opening, she seemed to think just stopping and waiting for a gap to open up was the best plan. So I had to brake. The guy behind me wasn't paying attention (he appeared to be on his cell phone) and very nearly rammed me while doing about 70 mph. If he hadn't been able to swerve into the next lane, he would have hit me, likely pushing me into the woman who was still sitting at a complete stop in the middle of the expressway. He missed me by perhaps six inches.

When traffic moves that fast, everyone needs to pay attention, and coming to a dead stop in the middle of an expressway is an incredibly stupid idea.

crella

« Reply #23008 on: August 22, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »

My sister told my mother to take me out of the will because "She has a house and a vacation house, and her husband makes good money! She doesn't need any more!"  and "Brother has a good job as a teacher, he doesn't need money either! They have everything and I have nothing! They shouldn't be in the will!"

Hooboy.....

misha412

« Reply #23009 on: August 22, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »
The people driving in front of and behind me today on the expressway.

The expressway has a 65mph speed limit. I was in the middle lane (five lanes total on this expressway). The woman in front of me suddenly slowed way down, then slammed on her brakes and came to a complete stop because she wanted to get into the lane to the right, but traffic hadn't cleared enough for her to get over. Rather than simply adjusting her speed and waiting for an opening, she seemed to think just stopping and waiting for a gap to open up was the best plan. So I had to brake. The guy behind me wasn't paying attention (he appeared to be on his cell phone) and very nearly rammed me while doing about 70 mph. If he hadn't been able to swerve into the next lane, he would have hit me, likely pushing me into the woman who was still sitting at a complete stop in the middle of the expressway. He missed me by perhaps six inches.

When traffic moves that fast, everyone needs to pay attention, and coming to a dead stop in the middle of an expressway is an incredibly stupid idea.

:o Oh monkey fritters. I am glad you are okay. Some people should not be driving, period.

That reminds me of a recent trip on an interstate. Mr. Misha and I were entering the freeway and merged into traffic getting up to speed pretty quickly. We had a delivery truck in front of us doing about the same speed we were. The truck was big enough that it was not possible to see traffic ahead of it. All of a sudden this truck swerves from the travel lane into the passing lane. It was a very sudden jerky movement done without a turn signal.

Why did he do it? Because an SUV had stopped dead ahead in the travel lane. Mr. Misha stood on the brakes and swerved to the shoulder. If he had not done it, we would have plowed into the back of this SUV. We missed hitting it by inches. We come to a stop on the shoulder past the SUV.

Why was the guy stopped? I have no fracking idea. He suddenly realizes people are swerving to avoid him, hits the gas, then pulls off the road onto the shoulder a bit ahead of us. Mr. Misha almost jumped out of the truck and confronted the guy. As angry as he was, it would not have been pretty. I talked him out of it, but half wish I hadn't because I wanted to know why the idiot thought it was a smart move.