Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5416825 times)

weeblewobble

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23070 on: August 24, 2013, 11:34:26 PM »
Lorelai, it was not you.

I, too, once flew next to a "leaner," a middle aged man who sat in the middle seat, but insisted on leaning at this weird diagonal angle that meant his head and shoulders practically rested on my head rest in the aisle seat.  I don't know how he could wear his seatbelt and remain comfortable in his position. His head was RIGHT next to mine and if I wanted to avoid his noxious coffee breath, I would have had to lean my head into the aisle.  And since I didn't want to be concussed by the drink cart, the following conversation took place just after take off, when it became clear he planned on staying in that position for a while.

Me: Sir, you're leaning too close to me. Could you please sit back into your own seat?

Him: My back is sore and I'm more comfortable like this. It's not a problem.

Me: Yes, but you're making me uncomfortable, which is a problem for me.  So please stay in your own space.

Him: No, it's not a problem.  I'm fine like this.

Me: But I'm not fine like this. You're in my space. Please lean back.

Him: I'm telling you, it's not a problem!

At this point, the FA came over to address the issue.  She told the man that he couldn't lean that far into another passenger's seat. He insisted that he had to keep his sore back muscles in check.  Since the flight wasn't full, she ended up moving him to a row of seats that was empty and he could lean to his heart's content. Part of me wondered whether that was his aim all along, to escape his undesirable middle seat.  The other part of me wondered whether he was trying to look down my shirt.

Either way, I was glad he moved and couldn't believe how obtuse he was.  HE didn't have a problem, so there was no problem!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #23071 on: August 24, 2013, 11:50:32 PM »
People at my theater:

No! You do not throw your whole medium popcorn in the middle of the walkway and walk all over it just because you don't have to pick it up! Yes, we are three ushers. However, we are not, in any shape, form, or fashion, magicians. Your popcorn does not travel to the trash can by the collective will of our minds. I would ask whether you were raised by wolves, but I'm sure even wolves are neater when they eat than you are.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

lorelai

« Reply #23072 on: August 25, 2013, 02:40:48 AM »
Weeblewobble that's awful! How is he going to tell you it's not a problem?!? I'm glad he moved.

I guess I wonder about this because I know it's a lot more comfortable to use the armrests if you can fully stretch out, and my way of thinking doesn't allow for that. Anyway, I'm glad you all think I'm not SS!

Btw, about cleaning up at the movie theater - my normally very kind DH threw away his candy wrapper at the movie theater the other day and he couldn't understand why I was digging around the seats trying to find it. I told him it was our duty to clean up after ourselves and he actually said, "That's their job - you might as well leave it for them."

Ahh I hate this so much! As a child I always paid attention to the opening movie ads that asked you to clean up after yourself and I took it to heart. And it's common decency, right? Now they only tell you to turn off your cell phones. Look like people aren't doing either :-\

BB-VA

« Reply #23073 on: August 25, 2013, 12:39:31 PM »
Showing my age here - back when I was a child, the custom was to leave your popcorn box/drink cup on the floor under your seat when you left the theater.  Of course, that was in the dark ages, before cell phones and when theaters actually DID have staff beyond the concession stand and ticket booth (and stages/curtains in front of the screen, and the big blue Bulova clock sign with the local jeweler's name over the exit, and continuous shows from 1-9 PM).  I really feel sorry for that staff retroactively - they must have had a heck of a time after the free kiddie matinees in summer.

I do believe now is better, when you are asked to please clean up and they do provide trash receptacles at the doors (they didn't, back in the day).  It certainly results in a more pleasant atmosphere in the auditorium.  And the spaces between shows (no more coming in in the middle and leaving when you get to the place you started) also help in getting the place neatened up.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Cherry91

« Reply #23074 on: August 25, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
RE cinema special snowflakes, some of the messes made were horrific at the cinema I used to work out.

One of the most bizarre things, which happened repeatedly, was people would stand up, let their seat swing closed, and then WEDGE their rubbish in between the two halves of the seat. Often, this would include popcorn boxes and drink cups with remains still inside, so if the staff didn't spot them, the next person to pull the seat down could end up with their shoes sprayed with popcorn and sticky soda.

We never could understand why people did it. We accepted that people left their rubbish on the floor - at least then we could see it!

violinp

« Reply #23075 on: August 25, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »
RE cinema special snowflakes, some of the messes made were horrific at the cinema I used to work out.

One of the most bizarre things, which happened repeatedly, was people would stand up, let their seat swing closed, and then WEDGE their rubbish in between the two halves of the seat. Often, this would include popcorn boxes and drink cups with remains still inside, so if the staff didn't spot them, the next person to pull the seat down could end up with their shoes sprayed with popcorn and sticky soda.

We never could understand why people did it. We accepted that people left their rubbish on the floor - at least then we could see it!

That too! It makes me so frustrated. People like that think being a "rebel" and a "gangsta" means throwing all your messy stuff on the ground for others clean. At least the person who put part of their popcorn in a plastic soda bottle made me laugh at the inventiveness.

BB-VA, my theater has ushers, ticket takers, and concession people, but the managers decide when we get there who's doing what. And it's not the kids movies that are really bad, although they can get pretty messy. The one auditorium that was so messy I ranted about it was a popular science fiction movie geared to teens and adults, and I didn't see a single kid in that auditorium.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Isilleke

« Reply #23076 on: August 25, 2013, 02:16:54 PM »
It's also a very different mess between a kids movie or an adolescent one! A kids movie I find that there's a lot of popcorn on the ground because there not really that coordinated yet, but they are still learning to clean up after themselves so not so many things get left behind. In teen movies on the other hand it seems the national sport of 1. spraying as much around you as possible and 2. not pick up a single thing when you leave... This is of course generalizing, but after a couple years working in a cinema, if you are asking for the seats in the back and you are under 30, chances are you are  not going to clean up after yourself.

Hillia

« Reply #23077 on: August 25, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »
Jerry Seinfeld had a rant about why he felt justified leaving his trash behind in the theater...he paid $7.50 (it's an old routine :-) ) for his ticket, the theater was making enough money, let them clean it up.

Except of course he wasn't hurting the theater owner one tiny bit, just adding one more little bit of aggravation to the lives of the minimum wage employees who have to clean up after his lazy, entitled millionaire butt.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #23078 on: August 26, 2013, 08:22:45 AM »
Either way, I was glad he moved and couldn't believe how obtuse he was.  HE didn't have a problem, so there was no problem!

Assuming his sincerity, his attitude was probably borne of the attitude that his opinion is the only one that matters. It's his back, he's in pain, this is how he needs to relieve it, and if he doesn't mind leaning no one else's opinion is important, because no one else is him.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #23079 on: August 26, 2013, 08:33:37 AM »
Jerry Seinfeld had a rant about why he felt justified leaving his trash behind in the theater...he paid $7.50 (it's an old routine :-) ) for his ticket, the theater was making enough money, let them clean it up.

Except of course he wasn't hurting the theater owner one tiny bit, just adding one more little bit of aggravation to the lives of the minimum wage employees who have to clean up after his lazy, entitled millionaire butt.

If I drop the stuff, by mistake, then yeah, that is what the employees are paid for, though I feel pretty crummy that I've made their jobs harder. If I throw the stuff on the floor, or even LEAVE it there intentionally, I'm jist being a jerk.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23080 on: August 26, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »
My DH and I visit the movie theater quite a bit and we have noticed it is more likely for adults to leave a mess than kids where we are. There is no excuse to leave your garbage everywhere! Especially items brought from outside that weren't caught by the ticket taker.

Flurry alert:
The coffee stand I patronize has a drive through window and a counter inside. A boy and his mother went to the drive through window and the boy (11-14 years old) shot the drive through window with a bb gun and shattered it. The mother calmly drove away, but the incident was recorded on their surveillance system.

MrTango

« Reply #23081 on: August 26, 2013, 11:55:51 AM »
My DH and I visit the movie theater quite a bit and we have noticed it is more likely for adults to leave a mess than kids where we are. There is no excuse to leave your garbage everywhere! Especially items brought from outside that weren't caught by the ticket taker.

Flurry alert:
The coffee stand I patronize has a drive through window and a counter inside. A boy and his mother went to the drive through window and the boy (11-14 years old) shot the drive through window with a bb gun and shattered it. The mother calmly drove away, but the incident was recorded on their surveillance system.

I wonder if the county attorney could construe that to be a drive-by shooting and level charges at both the boy and his mother.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23082 on: August 26, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »
...   A boy and his mother went to the drive through window and the boy (11-14 years old) shot the drive through window with a bb gun and shattered it. The mother calmly drove away, but the incident was recorded on their surveillance system.

I wonder if the county attorney could construe that to be a drive-by shooting and level charges at both the boy and his mother.

Absolutely!  The shattering glass could easily have hurt both workers and patrons, even if the BB didn't.  I certainly hope the security cameras were able to get the license plate number and that both mother and son were/will be arrested.

violinp

« Reply #23083 on: August 26, 2013, 12:22:51 PM »

If I drop the stuff, by mistake, then yeah, that is what the employees are paid for, though I feel pretty crummy that I've made their jobs harder. If I throw the stuff on the floor, or even LEAVE it there intentionally, I'm jist being a jerk.

Rob

People will accidentally drop some popcorn while going to the theater/coming out of the auditorium, and I don't mind cleaning that up, because that's my job and I'm paid to clean up the mess. I don't even mind having to mop after people getting the butter on the tile (self - serve butter, so it tends to go all over the tile). But, when the Jerry Seinfelds of the world leave all of their mess on purpose to somehow get back at the company that employs me, it makes me headdesk a lot.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23084 on: August 26, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
...   A boy and his mother went to the drive through window and the boy (11-14 years old) shot the drive through window with a bb gun and shattered it. The mother calmly drove away, but the incident was recorded on their surveillance system.

Absolutely!  The shattering glass could easily have hurt both workers and patrons, even if the BB didn't.  I certainly hope the security cameras were able to get the license plate number and that both mother and son were/will be arrested.

The owner is pursuing criminal and civil charges. I am astonished someone would ignore the fact their child did that!