Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5279464 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23265 on: September 04, 2013, 07:06:31 PM »
DH and I just finally got our wills finalized yesterday (after planning to get around to it for 7+ years).  In our case it was a bit complicated figuring out how to word the custody of the girls in case something happened to us, and making sure that SIL1 wouldn't end up with a big influx of money by mistake - with her current issues, a large inheritance would lead to a large drug overdose pretty quickly  :-\

Good for you doing this.  I changed my will early this year after I found it while moving and discovered I'd left my worldly possessions to a church I no longer attend.  Plus, I'd married in the meantime, and this will was made out when MR. Sirius was many years in the future.  So that's all fixed.  He got his when he went to Saudi Arabia while he was in the Air Force, and the AF made him make out an updated will before going, plus set up a power of attorney for me to pay his bills, all of which I thought was an excellent idea. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23266 on: September 05, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »
From today's dear abby - first letter. Not quite sure if she's an SS or not, but her attitude is, at least to me!

http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/

Basically, a woman berating "older" workers for hanging onto their jobs, to support their lavish lifestyles, and preventing younger workers from advancing, and even being laid off. she then goes on to say that when HER kids are out of college, she plans to take a less-stressful, lower paying job so that a young person can have HER job to support their family.

DA basically told her, try and be less judgmental, as many "older" folks are not working to support their luxeries, but simply to survive.  Is it wrong of me to hope that karma bites her, and she too needs to continue working longer to simply survive?????

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #23267 on: September 05, 2013, 09:23:59 AM »
She makes my snarky comment typing fingers itch.  I refrained, but it was difficult.

z_squared82

« Reply #23268 on: September 05, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »
From today's dear abby - first letter. Not quite sure if she's an SS or not, but her attitude is, at least to me!

Basically, a woman berating "older" workers for hanging onto their jobs, to support their lavish lifestyles, and preventing younger workers from advancing, and even being laid off. she then goes on to say that when HER kids are out of college, she plans to take a less-stressful, lower paying job so that a young person can have HER job to support their family.

DA basically told her, try and be less judgmental, as many "older" folks are not working to support their luxeries, but simply to survive.  Is it wrong of me to hope that karma bites her, and she too needs to continue working longer to simply survive?????

Yeah...I read that and thought, "Did you seriously sleep through the recession that tanked so many older workers' retirement accounts?!" Super Special Snowflake.

dawbs

« Reply #23269 on: September 05, 2013, 09:40:10 AM »

It also ignores the non-monetary reasons people get (and remain in) jobs for.  Things like fulfillment, things like giving back to the community (I'm gainfully employed and all that--but I work in education and I do 'good' work), things like SANITY for many people, things like sense of identity.

I've known to many people whose health/life/mental health has declined when they were no longer able to get the fulfillment they got from working (and volunteering and the like is great, but it's not, nor should it be treated as, the same animal).

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23270 on: September 05, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »

It also ignores the non-monetary reasons people get (and remain in) jobs for.  Things like fulfillment, things like giving back to the community (I'm gainfully employed and all that--but I work in education and I do 'good' work), things like SANITY for many people, things like sense of identity.

I've known to many people whose health/life/mental health has declined when they were no longer able to get the fulfillment they got from working (and volunteering and the like is great, but it's not, nor should it be treated as, the same animal).

POD. We play the lottery at work, and while I'd love to win multi-millions, and never have to work again, realistically,. I am single and live alone. and ALL my friends still work. So....I'd be bored out of my skull not working. Not saying I'd stay in this job, but I'd find something to do I really enjoyed, and if the salary wasn't great, not an issue.

What's even funnier, is shortly after, I found this article. http://inplainsight.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/05/20327882-its-ok-to-be-an-older-worker-as-long-as-you-dont-lose-your-job?lite 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23271 on: September 05, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
She makes my snarky comment typing fingers itch.  I refrained, but it was difficult.

Mine too. It's too bad you can't comment on DA letters, right then and there!  I'd love to see what responses people posted! Hopefully this one will garner enough "activity" so that she posts a follow-up.

Jones

« Reply #23272 on: September 05, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »

Mine too. It's too bad you can't comment on DA letters, right then and there!  I'd love to see what responses people posted! Hopefully this one will garner enough "activity" so that she posts a follow-up.
Pop over to Yahoo news and look it up, the comments posters over there are usually pretty snarky and often funny.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23273 on: September 05, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
I wonder if people who think that way are due to the many companies who force retirement age workers out of their jobs.

norrina

« Reply #23274 on: September 05, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »

The bolded, exactly. I went back to school a bit later in life (to get my law degree), as did my husband (in his last semester of an international business degree). While neither of us are by any means "old", we are within 25 years of "traditional" retirement age, and we didn't spend 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars to use our degrees for such a short period of time. We would like to be in a position to work on a very part-time basis by then (I have my own practice, and he hopes to go into consulting within 5-10 years), but we do both still intend to work. I know an attorney who is in her 80s, and still accepts the occasional client, although she has made it known that she much prefers the research end of legal practice.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #23275 on: September 05, 2013, 10:55:29 AM »
Years ago I used to subscribe to a blog written by a library student. (Once she got a job, she took it down.)  One of the sections allowed librarians to air grievances and one young whippersnapper let loose on "older" librarians, how selfish we were not to retire in our forties and let younger librarians move up the food chain and get promotions.  I had to laugh because I had been at the same library 15 years and had yet to receive even a hint of a promotion.  Every time a fellow librarian in a promotional position retired....the city closed the position.  Ten years later and it is still the same.  Not to mention: in the last few years, between concessions, give backs, increases in health premiums (which I fully support), not to mention massive property tax increases, I will soon be paying the city to allow me to work.  My hope is to retire next year and find a part time job or a less stress full time job elsewhere....but that doesn't look possible right now.  I may be here until they pry my cold, dead hands from the computer keys as even my pension is in jeopardy of disappearing thanks to corruption and bad decisions. 

But I AM happy to report that the whippersnapper got Hail Columbia rained down upon her head, and some of that Hail Columbia came from library students who a) were senior citizens seeking career change and who b) pointed out that she should be seeking older workers out for their knowledge and insight rather than trying to shove them out the door.  Even the site owner got on her case.  It was delicious.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23276 on: September 05, 2013, 11:03:15 AM »
Another gem from my store's FB page. A customer posted, complaining that rather than being marked down, an item she bought was "marked up" And posted a pic of the tag. org. price was 39.50, marked "up" to 39.99.  Implying she had actually paid more for it than the original price.  Someone else commented, what a scam, and another person replied saying no, simple human error. Which is the most likely scenario, since we do markdowns by hand. And yes, we have to do them quickly, and sometimes errors are made.

however, no matter what's on the ticket, the prices are in the system, so when you ring them up, they ring up at the correct price. so let's say this was supposed to be 29.99, minus the additional % off clearance. She didn't pay the higher price, and a quick look at her receipt would show what she actually DID pay. She's whining and assuming she paid more, when I can say with certainty, she did not.

She then responded to the person who said it was a simply error, no, it wsa greed, and saying as they were a former employee, of course they'd take the store's side, and how sad it was the store felt the need to scam its customers.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23277 on: September 05, 2013, 11:09:17 AM »

Pop over to Yahoo news and look it up, the comments posters over there are usually pretty snarky and often funny.

Thank you!  yeah, they are all pretty much ripping her a new one, and telling her to get over herself. I'll have to remember this, since there are many times I want to comment on something in DA, and see what others have to say.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #23278 on: September 05, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »
Not to mention that many older workers often know a lot more about the job, about the organization, about work in general.  Valuable knowledge that it takes the younger person years to learn.  There is an excellent chance that if someone older than the LW were to retire, would her employers even want her in that job?

And as Abby herself said, it would be interesting to see if this person actually cuts back or takes a lower position once they are older.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23279 on: September 05, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
Snowflakes that only want wedding registry gifts will apparently write columns to get the word out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lori-fradkin/wedding-registry-apology_b_3824199.html?utm_hp_ref=weddings&ir=Weddings

Although the worst one I've seen was 10 years ago, where someone in a bridal magazine said "Oh, I thought I was being so clever and thoughtful when I was single and gifting my friends with a fun board game or a waffle iron + some breakfast related items. I didn't realize how inconsiderate and thoughtless I was, how much trouble the bride had gone through to pick out her list." ::)

I'm not as annoyed with this article as I usually am about registries. She does acknowlege that they aren't then definitive list and she does stand by her decision to buy off the registry at times.

I thought what she was primarily intending to say was "If I put the Wusthoff knife set on my registry, don't buy the J Henckel's because you think they are a better brand." or if I registered for the Kate Spade decanter, don't buy the Waterford because you like Waterford better."