Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5107940 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23475 on: September 11, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
My parents took me to see a revival of Hitchcock's Frenzy when I was 12.  Yeah, they hadn't done their homework.  It didn't traumatize me (in fact, it's now my favorite Hitchcock movie), but I did have to leave the theatre during a particular scene.  (Anyone who's seen it will know what I'm talking about.)
The bit where the serial killer recovers the significant clue?  And how he goes about it?  Yeah.  I was a bit older, and it squicked me out too. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jones

« Reply #23476 on: September 11, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »
My mom's big thing of interest was the holocaust; I watched a bunch of documentaries and listened to very sad tapes while elementary school age, as it's what she was watching/listening to at the time.

As an aside, there's a family video of me as a little girl playing with my Bingo Bear at my Gramma's house, and the conversation in the background (you catch snippets) is of my Gramma, an uncle and a couple of aunts discussing a then-current news story involving child rape. That Gramma was the first to tell me about certain types of torture too, she had a historical book with (thankfully not so graphic) pictures. Apparently, real life events were deemed acceptable entertainment/discussion around the kids, whereas fictional stories (examples, Terminator, Jurassic Park) were strictly forbidden. I didn't watch my first R rated movie until I was 16, but boy, I could give some detailed accounts of the Holocaust and some of my 17 century ancestors by the time I was nine, should anyone have asked.

I don't consider it SS to allow kids to watch or read certain types of movies or books, so long as the parent/guardian A--understands the subject matter, B--is willing to explain and talk to their kid about the subject, and C--doesn't try to blame or sue anyone else for their child being exposed to that subject matter.

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #23477 on: September 11, 2013, 03:47:01 PM »
Another good resource for parents who are actually concerned about content is IMDB.  There is a parent's guide on almost everything listed there, with lots of good detail.  Really helpful for making decisions.  In fact, I've started showing the guide to my youngest (she's 14 and very squeamish) so she can make decisions for herself.  She's passed up several movies based on the guide contents.

To keep with the SS theme, my first move at the age of about 2 or 3 was one of the Planet of the Apes movies.  I distinctly recall raising a fuss and being very scared.  I *don't* recall being taken to the lobby.  My parents were definitely SS's.

lilfox

« Reply #23478 on: September 11, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
This was years ago, but several sets of SS parents brought small children (some drinking HUGE cups of cola, which, great idea to load them up on sugar and caffeine when they're supposed to sit still) to see a 10:30 pm showing of Bad Boys 2.  Why I personally saw that in the theaters, I don't know, but it seemed so wrong to me to expose little kids to that kind of non-stop action/violence, and at least one of the younger kids agreed, if the fearful screaming was any indicator.

A lesser offense but still very annoying were the parents who brought their 4- or 5- year old daughter to see Contact, because then I (sitting in front of them) had to listen to "Where are the aliens? When are the aliens coming?" for over an hour. I guess the parents advertised it as "ET" to the child to get her to go?  If so, she was probably very disappointed since the majority of the movie is pretty talky and (marginal spoiler) the only "alien" appeared in the form of Ellie's father.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #23479 on: September 11, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »
Sticking with the theme of SS Parents who take their children where they probably should not be, I nominate the parents who brought their little one to see the fireworks.  The little one was really small, in a stroller, so maybe 2 y.o.  (I'm not good at guessing kid's ages)  Watching the fireworks would have been fine if they were farther away from where they set the fireworks off on the beach.

First, fireworks generate a lot of smoke and the offshore breeze blew the smoke into the crowd.  DH & I moved farther away because the smoke was bothering me.

Second, setting off fireworks generates loud explosions.  When one parks one's baby stroller in the front row, that child probably feels like it is in a war zone.  This explains why the child was screaming.

I have no explanation for why the parents of the screaming child did not move farther away so their little one could enjoy the fireworks instead of breathing acrid smoke and hearing loud explosions.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #23480 on: September 11, 2013, 05:14:46 PM »
If I could find a way to up my horn volume I would
Don't need louder horn.  Need photon torpedoes.

I miss the AAOOHGAH horn I had on my old car.  I still had the stock horn for regular offenses, but the second one was psychological warfare.  >:D   It did get attention!!!

Where I lived growing up one of the neighbors had a horn that played "La Cucaracha."  The part that made it bothersome was that they'd honk their horn every time they pulled into the driveway, even if it was the middle of the night.   

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #23481 on: September 11, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
Sticking with the theme of SS Parents who take their children where they probably should not be, I nominate the parents who brought their little one to see the fireworks.  The little one was really small, in a stroller, so maybe 2 y.o.  (I'm not good at guessing kid's ages)  Watching the fireworks would have been fine if they were farther away from where they set the fireworks off on the beach.

First, fireworks generate a lot of smoke and the offshore breeze blew the smoke into the crowd.  DH & I moved farther away because the smoke was bothering me.

Second, setting off fireworks generates loud explosions.  When one parks one's baby stroller in the front row, that child probably feels like it is in a war zone.  This explains why the child was screaming.

I have no explanation for why the parents of the screaming child did not move farther away so their little one could enjoy the fireworks instead of breathing acrid smoke and hearing loud explosions.

There's a huge fireworks show in my city every year, sponsored by a local radio station and choreographed to a soundtrack - it's called Skyfire, and there's enough fire in the sky to live up to the name! Huge booms and bangs, it's awesome.

Every. Single. Year. there are babies in the crowd. Never very many, thank goodness, but a couple of times we've been settling down in a good spot, looked around, and gone "...Yeeeeah, there's a tiny one. Let's move a bit." When the biggest fireworks go off it feels like you're being thumped in the ribcage with a fairly solid cushion, and yes, there will be tears!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Arila

« Reply #23482 on: September 11, 2013, 06:06:36 PM »
I hearby nominate the driver of the garbage truck on my street this morning.  I live on a street that is in the shape of a 'P'.  I live on the bottom of the curved part and was heading towards the stop sign where it meets the straight part.  A garbage truck pulled past the intersection on the straight stretch then thew it in reverse and started backing up to turn around!

I leaned on the horn but was completely panicking.  You see, my car is less than a week old.  Reverse is different than my previous car and in that moment of panic, I couldn't get it into reverse to back out of the way.  Fortunately, SS heard the horn and stopped what he was doing, which allowed me to get out of the way.

I called the city to complain; I'm waiting for a call back.

That is so scary!  Several years ago, I had a large semi back into me -- He didn't hear my horn, and didn't look in his mirror (I could SEE HIM, since I wasn't directly behind!!!) until his vehicle stopped with a big metal bar 6 inches deep into my hood! I wish that I had been older and with a steelier spine to call the police/report him instead of letting him push me into repairing it out of his own pocket.

Creepier: During our discussions, after information exchange, he asked me if I was single/lived alone!!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #23483 on: September 11, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
Yowch!  Yeah, I had a time when I needed to make a u-turn, and I waited until a semi passed through the intersection, then made my (legal) u-turn... only to find that the semi had braked, entirely, and was sitting in his lane.  I was able to stop in time, but I definitely hadn't expected that.  THEN he decided to start backing up!  I think he'd passed a gas station and wanted to get into it.  I have never been very good at managing to get the horn to honk when I want it to (it takes a lot of pressure, so when I want a light honk it does nothing at all), but that time I put all my weight on the horn and he stopped backing up.  I had enough room with my tiny car (Toyota Echo at the time) to scoot around him.  Last I saw him, he was back to backing up, but this time with the traffic from the green light behind him heading toward him.  Hope he didn't hit any of them!

Library Dragon

« Reply #23484 on: September 11, 2013, 06:37:59 PM »
The SS client of my realtor BIL is quite upset now.  He has told her that a colleague will be assisting he from now on. She is irate that he doesn't doesn't want to help her and that he didn't cancel his pre-planned vacation for the remainder of the week. He just kept repeating that it's not possible for him to work with her and is no longer taking any of her calls. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23485 on: September 11, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »
This is from pages back, but I can understand parents thinking Gremlins was a kids movie.  There was no internet back then, and they came out with these cute stuffed animals and picture books for the tie-in.  Doesn't excuse SS behavior, but I can't stand misleading ads and then the shock of reality.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23486 on: September 11, 2013, 07:21:41 PM »
When the Gremlins get going - this woman behind us starts demanding a manager and covering her kid's eyes and he his screaming in fear. Manager comes in and she pitches a fit because this is a kids movie.

You gotta wonder why in the wide, wide world of sports this nimrod thought remaining in the clearly inappropriate movie with her screaming kid was a good idea. Did she think the manager was going to slap his head and start up the kid-friendly version of the movie?
She was screaming how dare you advertise this to kids. We Joked later about how we thought she was going to drag all of us out because it was an inappropriate movie.

It was like she thought it was supposed to be a Disney find the fuzzy creature and make the world intantly a better place through a fantastic journey type thing. I sometimes wonder if these people watched disney movies from the 70s growing up. I mean yea escape to witch mountain wasn't gory and ended happly but it was about 2 kids being hunted down. Candleshoe scared some of my cousins. Old Yeller was Disney.

My parents took us to see Bad News Bears. Honestly it is the only movie I remember Dad going to (Mom went to Escape to Witch Mountain). They were very shocked at the language - which for a kids movie is still a little out there. Still they didn't yell at the manager. When we got out of the movie we were told point plank not to think they would allow that language at home.

A friend's Mom to took us to Grease. MOm got sis the record and flipped out over Sandra Dee lousy with >>>>>>> lyric when Sis was singing along. I looked her in the eye and said don't worry she doesn't know what it means. Mom said are you sure. I said, Yea I don't know what it means but it must be bad if you're so mad. At which point she cracked up. Sis was allowed to keep the record but not play it when our grandmother was over.

I had pretty cool parents.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

KB

« Reply #23487 on: September 11, 2013, 07:26:03 PM »
I will add all of the parents who took their kids to see Avenue Q - "because it's puppets and Sesame Street and so it's a kids play" - and then wrote letters to the newspapers complaining about the swearing and having to explain to their kids why those two puppets were bouncing on each other and why they were naked. Really? All of the promotion and the warnings and the box off staff saying what a bad idea it is, and yet you think you know better? Okay...

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23488 on: September 11, 2013, 07:35:31 PM »
My parents took me to see a revival of Hitchcock's Frenzy when I was 12.  Yeah, they hadn't done their homework.  It didn't traumatize me (in fact, it's now my favorite Hitchcock movie), but I did have to leave the theatre during a particular scene.  (Anyone who's seen it will know what I'm talking about.)

Likewise for Ralph Bakshi's Wizards.  "It's a cartoon, so it's meant for kids!"  Um, Fritz the Cat was a cartoon too ...

Also, I don't think I'd let young children watch 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23489 on: September 11, 2013, 07:55:21 PM »
I remember as a kid having to leave the room for a bit when watching "Dirty Dancing".  For the longest time I thought it was rated R because I wasn't allowed to watch a certain part.  Now as an adult I kind of chuckle since you don't even really see any scrabble at all, just sensuous dancing and then they're in bed and having some pillow talk.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata