Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5389987 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23460 on: September 11, 2013, 12:05:35 PM »
I just can't wrap my mind around parents who don't do their research when deciding what movies/shows/music to allow their children to watch.  I research everything before my kids see it.  They're older now, so it's a little easier, but when they were little I would go as far as to go to a theater by myself to preview a movie first before I took my kids.

I don't have any kids, but I'd do the same thing, as I'm sure my parents did. Of course, we won't mention the questionable move of my dad, who let me tag along to see Animal House when I was 12 or 13. He was going since it was filed in his hometown, and I said where are you going, and can i come? He said sure! 

Then again, I was quite the goody two shoes as a kid, and it wasn't like I was going to do anything or imitate anything in the movie, plus I was reading stuff wayyyyyy above my reading level at that age as well. 

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #23461 on: September 11, 2013, 12:07:40 PM »
I just can't wrap my mind around parents who don't do their research when deciding what movies/shows/music to allow their children to watch.  I research everything before my kids see it.  They're older now, so it's a little easier, but when they were little I would go as far as to go to a theater by myself to preview a movie first before I took my kids.

Exactly. When I was a nanny, I often preveiwed movies for my boss.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #23462 on: September 11, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »

I'm having the same experience.  Even if it's an obvious kids movie, I go to Common Sense Media's site to see if there's anything about it I should know.  The kids wanted to see Brave but CSM mentioned some kids were frightened by the bear scenes so I opted to wait until it came out on PPV instead.  And I'm glad I did.  It was easier to watch on our TV than the big screen with the SuperLoud(TM) surround sound.

nuit93

« Reply #23463 on: September 11, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »
If I could find a way to up my horn volume I would
Don't need louder horn.  Need photon torpedoes.

I miss the AAOOHGAH horn I had on my old car.  I still had the stock horn for regular offenses, but the second one was psychological warfare.  >:D   It did get attention!!!

One of DH's buddies in the Marines used to joke that he had a VW bug his parents bought him with a horn that sounded like a moose suffering a slow death.  Their theory, he told us, was that he'd be too embarrassed to honk it, which is what they wanted since apparently Seattle's road rage is legendary.

If by legendary you mean non-existent?  We don't do road rage here, we do passive-aggressive.

Hillia

« Reply #23464 on: September 11, 2013, 12:18:17 PM »
This was a huge issue for me when ex and I split.  He would let DS, then age 6 or 7, watch whatever movie he and his girlfriend and her 4 kids wanted to watch...so DS got to see The Green Mile, Blade, Dracula 2000, Candyman, all sorts of great stuff.  It was in the court order that DS wasn't allowed to watch anything over PG at either house, but that's pretty much non-enforceable.  Made me nuts.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23465 on: September 11, 2013, 01:03:57 PM »
I just can't wrap my mind around parents who don't do their research when deciding what movies/shows/music to allow their children to watch.

I'm always baffled by the ones who take kids to a Russell Peters or Craig Ferguson comedy tour show.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23466 on: September 11, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
I hearby nominate the driver of the garbage truck on my street this morning.  I live on a street that is in the shape of a 'P'.  I live on the bottom of the curved part and was heading towards the stop sign where it meets the straight part.  A garbage truck pulled past the intersection on the straight stretch then thew it in reverse and started backing up to turn around!

I leaned on the horn but was completely panicking.  You see, my car is less than a week old.  Reverse is different than my previous car and in that moment of panic, I couldn't get it into reverse to back out of the way.  Fortunately, SS heard the horn and stopped what he was doing, which allowed me to get out of the way.

I called the city to complain; I'm waiting for a call back.

Got a call back from the city; she completely agreed that it was a huge safety issue and spoke to the route supervisor who was going to speak to the relatively new driver.  And perhaps sign him up for some additional training.  Ya think?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23467 on: September 11, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »
If I could find a way to up my horn volume I would
Don't need louder horn.  Need photon torpedoes.

I miss the AAOOHGAH horn I had on my old car.  I still had the stock horn for regular offenses, but the second one was psychological warfare.  >:D   It did get attention!!!

One of DH's buddies in the Marines used to joke that he had a VW bug his parents bought him with a horn that sounded like a moose suffering a slow death.  Their theory, he told us, was that he'd be too embarrassed to honk it, which is what they wanted since apparently Seattle's road rage is legendary.

If by legendary you mean non-existent?  We don't do road rage here, we do passive-aggressive.

Well having never been to Seattle myself, I'd have no way of judging, it's just what this guy told us and I did wonder if perhaps his parents were being a bit overprotective.

As for the movies, I took ours to see Dead Man's Chest when it came out (second POTC movie) thinking that well my children didn't have a problem with the first one, and it is Disney.  I had to cover my own eyes as there is a whipping scene and Captain Jack Sparrow dies after being taken down by the Kraken.

Ever since then I've insisted on seeing movies before taking them.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23468 on: September 11, 2013, 01:35:13 PM »
That reminds me of some parents I know.

Our school district has a pretty lenient dress code. No gang symbols, weapons, or images of death are allowed on clothing. Only during Halloween festivities for elementary school aged children are certain things allowed. Images of death includes skulls and skeletons. No allowance is made for middle school or high school aged children.

SS parents bought their son a POTC hoodie, complete with skulls and skeletons all over it. I saw him the week before he started 6th grade, and somehow the subject of the dress code came up, and SS parents were certain that anything Disney would be allowed.

Son wore that hoodie to school one day. It was confiscated and his parents had to come collect it.

Cami

« Reply #23469 on: September 11, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »
That reminds me of some parents I know.

Our school district has a pretty lenient dress code. No gang symbols, weapons, or images of death are allowed on clothing. Only during Halloween festivities for elementary school aged children are certain things allowed. Images of death includes skulls and skeletons. No allowance is made for middle school or high school aged children.

SS parents bought their son a POTC hoodie, complete with skulls and skeletons all over it. I saw him the week before he started 6th grade, and somehow the subject of the dress code came up, and SS parents were certain that anything Disney would be allowed.

Son wore that hoodie to school one day. It was confiscated and his parents had to come collect it.
One of our neighbors was livid because her dd got sent home for wearing a Corona Beer tee-shirt to school. In the 4th grade.

Shalamar

« Reply #23470 on: September 11, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
My parents took me to see a revival of Hitchcock's Frenzy when I was 12.  Yeah, they hadn't done their homework.  It didn't traumatize me (in fact, it's now my favorite Hitchcock movie), but I did have to leave the theatre during a particular scene.  (Anyone who's seen it will know what I'm talking about.)

Likewise for Ralph Bakshi's Wizards.  "It's a cartoon, so it's meant for kids!"  Um, Fritz the Cat was a cartoon too ...

poundcake

« Reply #23471 on: September 11, 2013, 02:19:47 PM »
This was a huge issue for me when ex and I split.  He would let DS, then age 6 or 7, watch whatever movie he and his girlfriend and her 4 kids wanted to watch...so DS got to see The Green Mile, Blade, Dracula 2000, Candyman, all sorts of great stuff.  It was in the court order that DS wasn't allowed to watch anything over PG at either house, but that's pretty much non-enforceable.  Made me nuts.

My cousin did this with her kids. Of course, she'd ask them, "Do you want to see ___?" and they'd always say yes. Then there would be weeks of nightmares after "Child's Play" or "Blair Witch." When she had two of the kids at the movie theatre to see one of these movies (I think the kids were five and two) and a parent complained, she flipped out on them with the whole "How DARE you tell me what my kids can and can't see, don't you judge me" routine. The five year old was very impressed with Mommy sticking up for her, and was even more into going to see too scary movies, because Mommy said she could because she was mature for her age. Then you get a 6 year old explaining "8 Mile" and to you and wonder what in God's green earth was my cousin was thinking.

There are some things that are not for kids. Period.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:05:31 PM by poundcake »

snowdragon

« Reply #23472 on: September 11, 2013, 02:41:54 PM »

My cousin did this with her kids. Of course, she'd ask them, "Do you want to see ___?" and they'd always say yes. Then there would be weeks of nightmares after "Child's Play" or "Blair Witch." When she had two of the kids at the movie theatre to see one of these movies (I think the kids were five and two) and a parent complained, she flipped out on them with the whole "How DARE you tell me what my kids can and can't see, don't you judge me" routine. The five year old was very impressed with Mommy sticking up for her, and was even more into going to see too scary movies, because Mommy said she could because she was mature for her age. Then you get a 6 year old explaining "8 Mile" and to you and wonder CRIVINS! my cousin was thinking.

There are some things that are not for kids. Period.

I have a cousin who let her kids watch a documentary on Ted Bundy and another one about the Atlanta Child Murders.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23473 on: September 11, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
My parents took me to see a revival of Hitchcock's Frenzy when I was 12.  Yeah, they hadn't done their homework.  It didn't traumatize me (in fact, it's now my favorite Hitchcock movie), but I did have to leave the theatre during a particular scene.  (Anyone who's seen it will know what I'm talking about.)
The bit where the serial killer recovers the significant clue?  And how he goes about it?  Yeah.  I was a bit older, and it squicked me out too. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jones

« Reply #23474 on: September 11, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »
My mom's big thing of interest was the holocaust; I watched a bunch of documentaries and listened to very sad tapes while elementary school age, as it's what she was watching/listening to at the time.

As an aside, there's a family video of me as a little girl playing with my Bingo Bear at my Gramma's house, and the conversation in the background (you catch snippets) is of my Gramma, an uncle and a couple of aunts discussing a then-current news story involving child rape. That Gramma was the first to tell me about certain types of torture too, she had a historical book with (thankfully not so graphic) pictures. Apparently, real life events were deemed acceptable entertainment/discussion around the kids, whereas fictional stories (examples, Terminator, Jurassic Park) were strictly forbidden. I didn't watch my first R rated movie until I was 16, but boy, I could give some detailed accounts of the Holocaust and some of my 17 century ancestors by the time I was nine, should anyone have asked.

I don't consider it SS to allow kids to watch or read certain types of movies or books, so long as the parent/guardian A--understands the subject matter, B--is willing to explain and talk to their kid about the subject, and C--doesn't try to blame or sue anyone else for their child being exposed to that subject matter.