Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5301789 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23580 on: September 19, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
We have a older lady that works in my building. She seems nice and looks to be in full possession of her faculties, but she drives in a very erratic manner. Parking isn't any better. I came out to my car today to find hers next to me, parked asymmetrically and halfway in a space, with 4' feet of car sticking out into the driving lane.

We have buses come through on a route every 10 minutes, I hope they don't wreck.

Bluenomi

« Reply #23581 on: September 19, 2013, 07:36:14 PM »
Yesterday I had SS I drive a ute so don't need to follow road rules.

We were coming up to a form one lane. I was a good car length in front of him so legally he had to merge behind me. But he clearly didn't want to merge behind so sped past, using the shoulder when he ran out of lane and barged in front of me. He did it so quickly I barely had time to brake so I didn't run into the back of him when he suddenly pulled in front.

Didn't do him any good though, the car in front of him was slow so he as stuck behind them and further down the road his bad lane choice when we got another one meant I cruised past him and he was stuck in a big line of traffic.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #23582 on: September 19, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »

We were coming up to a form one lane. I was a good car length in front of him so legally he had to merge behind me. But he clearly didn't want to merge behind so sped past, using the shoulder when he ran out of lane and barged in front of me. He did it so quickly I barely had time to brake so I didn't run into the back of him when he suddenly pulled in front.

Didn't do him any good though, the car in front of him was slow so he as stuck behind them and further down the road his bad lane choice when we got another one meant I cruised past him and he was stuck in a big line of traffic.

Hate it when drivers do that. With all the bike lanes around, it's even riskier to overtake like that.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23583 on: September 20, 2013, 10:09:32 AM »

While its annoying, I always laugh when that happens. Since it does all the time on my way to work. People seem to think that because I leave more than a smidge of space between me and the car in front of me, it means they can tailgate me, whip over, and then cut in front of me. ONly to be stuck behind the rest of the line of traffic I was behind.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #23584 on: September 22, 2013, 02:22:17 AM »
So, my parents had a party tonight, and invited several of my father's old friends, all of which became my mother's friends as well.  It was for the "elderly" people, with guitars, singing, food and beer.  Nothing fancy.  My brother and I were only "invited" because we live here, and we contributed to the food.

My mother got a text from my uncle, demanding to know why he had not been invited to the party, and was it because of the kids.

Okay...first of all, it was a party for adults.  Second of all, my uncle has had several parties and not invited us, and that was perfectly fine.  Why is it wrong for my parents to do the same?

And finally, he posted a PA message online that pretty much amounted to "No one wants us!"...

Gee, I wonder why.  :-\ 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23585 on: September 22, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »
No apology necessary on the part of the speaker.  If anyone should be apologizing, it is the elderly lady.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23586 on: September 22, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »
Why on earth should the speaker apologize to someone who showed up after the meal had ended and made a childish disturbance during his speech? What was he supposed to do, go chase people down and force meatballs on them?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23587 on: September 22, 2013, 11:55:06 AM »
No apology necessary on the part of the speaker.  If anyone should be apologizing, it is the elderly lady.

Absolutely!  What on earth would the speaker even apologize for?  Speaking at the exact time he was scheduled to speak?

weeblewobble

« Reply #23588 on: September 22, 2013, 12:35:57 PM »
DH understands why the speaker didn't apologize, but thinks it might have been a nice gesture to placate the woman.  I said no.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23589 on: September 22, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
DH understands why the speaker didn't apologize, but thinks it might have been a nice gesture to placate the woman.  I said no.
You are right - because if he apologized she is right and the group was wrong. That means she gets to do the same thing next time. She needs to be told that the meal was over and she was wrong to disturb the talk. If it happens again she should be told to leave instead of being allowed disturb the group.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23590 on: September 22, 2013, 02:56:27 PM »

Even if the lady was owed an apology, it shouldn't be the speaker who would deliver it. He's the speaker, and not a member of the hosting organization, right? Any apology would come from the hosting organization via one of its officers.

And she wasn't owed an apology anyway.  The speaker wasn't interrupting anyone or hogging/preempting the mealtime with his speech.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #23591 on: September 23, 2013, 07:51:03 AM »

Why placate the woman? She was rude and disrupted a speech. Let her stew.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

o_gal

« Reply #23592 on: September 23, 2013, 08:09:31 AM »

I had a similar situation happen in which I did not apologize to placate someone. I think someone at the church eventually did, but my attitude was that heck no, it's not going to be me doing it.

I was a youth advisor and Youth Sunday was coming up in a few months. This is a service that is completely handled by the youth - US 6th through 12th grade. They choose who will do each piece, those people get to do what they want to do (write their own prayer, choose a bible verse, write the sermon, etc.) within the bounds of the church rules on what must take place in order for it to be a worship service.

This event was on both the youth calendar and Church calendar. It was stated in the youth newsletter (1990's snail mail that all the eligible kids in the church received), when the planning sessions were going to be held. As planning went on, the newsletter stated which areas still needed to be covered. By the day of the service, everything was in place and ready to go. Service was held, kids did great, everyone really enjoyed it - mostly because the services done by the kids usually end really, really early  :D

The next week, as I'm stopping in the church to check on something, I'm taken aside by one of the ministers. See, I need to call this one family and apologize. For what? I ask. Well, it seems that they were very upset and offended that their kids had not been personally invited to participate in the service. It wasn't enough that they received every single piece of information that all the other kids received. No, they wanted to be called and now were complaining and demanding that the youth staff apologize to them. Since I was the advisor that oversaw the service, that would come down to me.

I didn't  >:D

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23593 on: September 23, 2013, 08:29:50 AM »

I had a similar situation happen in which I did not apologize to placate someone. I think someone at the church eventually did, but my attitude was that heck no, it's not going to be me doing it.

I was a youth advisor and Youth Sunday was coming up in a few months. This is a service that is completely handled by the youth - US 6th through 12th grade. They choose who will do each piece, those people get to do what they want to do (write their own prayer, choose a bible verse, write the sermon, etc.) within the bounds of the church rules on what must take place in order for it to be a worship service.

This event was on both the youth calendar and Church calendar. It was stated in the youth newsletter (1990's snail mail that all the eligible kids in the church received), when the planning sessions were going to be held. As planning went on, the newsletter stated which areas still needed to be covered. By the day of the service, everything was in place and ready to go. Service was held, kids did great, everyone really enjoyed it - mostly because the services done by the kids usually end really, really early  :D

The next week, as I'm stopping in the church to check on something, I'm taken aside by one of the ministers. See, I need to call this one family and apologize. For what? I ask. Well, it seems that they were very upset and offended that their kids had not been personally invited to participate in the service. It wasn't enough that they received every single piece of information that all the other kids received. No, they wanted to be called and now were complaining and demanding that the youth staff apologize to them. Since I was the advisor that oversaw the service, that would come down to me.

I didn't  >:D

Good for you! I hate when people seem to think they need a special invitation, or their hand held through everything. I could only see you owing them an apology if it was just thorugh word of mouth, or phone calls, and they somehow slipped thorugh the cracks. but in  this case, sorry, you had all the info, so its up to you what you do with it. Or not.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23594 on: September 23, 2013, 10:06:14 AM »
Why give positive reinforcement for bad or SS behavior?

I call SS to my coworker who is always on the fad diet of the month and has now decided she needs to make smoothies three times a day, which require her to bring a blender in to our office. She does so, without closing the door to the break room, and the blender is loud. The blender has tripped the breaker each and every time as well.  ::)