Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5098699 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23595 on: September 23, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »
Why give positive reinforcement for bad or SS behavior?

I call SS to my coworker who is always on the fad diet of the month and has now decided she needs to make smoothies three times a day, which require her to bring a blender in to our office. She does so, without closing the door to the break room, and the blender is loud. The blender has tripped the breaker each and every time as well.  ::)

What a showoff!  ::)

My aunt is an avid juicer, but she makes everything at home and then takes it into work

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #23596 on: September 23, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »
Back to movies not appropriate for children.  Back in the 60s & 70s there was a theater in an affluent suburb famous for its Saturday afternoon kiddie matinees.  Every kid movie ever made showed there (to prove how low the bar was, they even showed Santa Claus VS the Martians).  Parents would slow down in front of the theater, toss their kids out along with money for tickets and popcorn, and speed away.

One weekend they were showing Tales of Beatrix Potter, which my family opted to see as it had excellent reviews.  There were signs everywhere: This Is a Ballet Film!  There Is NO DIALOGUE!  There is classical music and ballet.  The box office staff was grilling parents and refusing to sell to children under the age of ten who were not accompanied by a parent before they sold a ticket.

There were still some poor children whose parents must have said, Fine, fine, fine.  Roscoe loves ballet.

Fortunately for once, there were enough adults in the audience who demanded that children not scream or throw food.  Children were removed by ushers and phone calls made.

And it is a lovely film.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

missmarie

« Reply #23597 on: September 23, 2013, 07:36:57 PM »
Only on page 1221 but I have a really weird one.  The SS who took my boyfriend's order at the pizza parlour down the street.  He ate there with friends but before he left he placed an order to bring home to wake me up with (grrr midnights!). He ordered my favorite:  onion and pineapple.  She told him she couldn't process his order.  Thinking he'd done something wrong, he asked why.  Her reply:  "Nobody likes that combination!  How about green peppers and onions instead?"  Bless his chivalrous heart, he wouldn't argue with a woman and just went along with it, knowing I like all veggies.  I just thought that was pretty darn presumptuous.  How does she know what I like?!
Outside of a dog, books are man's best friend.  Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

misha412

« Reply #23598 on: September 24, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »
Only on page 1221 but I have a really weird one.  The SS who took my boyfriend's order at the pizza parlour down the street.  He ate there with friends but before he left he placed an order to bring home to wake me up with (grrr midnights!). He ordered my favorite:  onion and pineapple.  She told him she couldn't process his order.  Thinking he'd done something wrong, he asked why.  Her reply:  "Nobody likes that combination!  How about green peppers and onions instead?"  Bless his chivalrous heart, he wouldn't argue with a woman and just went along with it, knowing I like all veggies.  I just thought that was pretty darn presumptuous.  How does she know what I like?!

That would have prompted a call to the restaurant manager from me. Why is she deciding what someone likes or doesn't? I worked in a pizza place through high school and part of college. We got some orders for combinations that grossed me out on occasion. But, no one would have thought it was okay to tell the customer that they couldn't process the order because "nobody likes that combination."

Xandraea

« Reply #23599 on: September 24, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »
DH understands why the speaker didn't apologize, but thinks it might have been a nice gesture to placate the woman.  I said no.
You are right - because if he apologized she is right and the group was wrong. That means she gets to do the same thing next time. She needs to be told that the meal was over and she was wrong to disturb the talk. If it happens again she should be told to leave instead of being allowed disturb the group.

This.  Doors should be closed, allowing no entry during the speaker's part of the event. Once the speaker began, the meal part of the event was over and this woman shouldn't have been arriving, much less with such a commotion. She was the rude one.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23600 on: September 26, 2013, 01:06:05 AM »
I nominate the parents who are trying to sue Brian Holloway  ::) You can bet if I'd done with their kids did, my parents would've dragged me by the ear back down to his house to apologize and clean up. And then I would've gotten more punishments when I got home

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ex-nfl-star-face-lawsuits-parents-house-crashing-teens-article-1.1462008

Iris

« Reply #23601 on: September 26, 2013, 01:25:43 AM »
I nominate the parents who are trying to sue Brian Holloway  ::) You can bet if I'd done with their kids did, my parents would've dragged me by the ear back down to his house to apologize and clean up. And then I would've gotten more punishments when I got home

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ex-nfl-star-face-lawsuits-parents-house-crashing-teens-article-1.1462008

I saw this story earlier and there's part of me that hopes, really hopes, that there is more to the story. Otherwise that would mean there are 299 parents who think that breaking into someone's house and vandalising it is okay, but saying "Here's a photo that you yourself posted of yourself vandalising my house" is not. And that would make me weep.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Bluenomi

« Reply #23602 on: September 26, 2013, 01:26:42 AM »
I've had 2 this week

First it was SS waiting room edition. I was at my OB's office and due to the nature of an OB's job it's not uncommon for him to run late. Generally he's pretty good but this week he lost a whole day of appointments and had squeezed 2 days worth into 1 day (he was working extra hours to help cover the extra though) so chances of him running late were greater than usual. His midwives (he had 2 instead of his usual 1 to help with the extra work) were running on time as always.

SS coming in for her appointment 10 mintues late and straight away asks if he is running on time. When the receptionist says there are a few women before her, she gets in a huff and declares she has to be back at work in an hour. Receptionist says midwives are on time so she'll be able to see them very soon and OB is working very quickly so the wait might not be too long. SS says she has to make a phone call to find out if this is acceptable and leaves the room.

A few minutes later the midwife calls for her and she's nowhere to be seen. I got to see OB when and when I come out she's still not reappeared and the midwife is calling her again. No idea if she ever came back or actually bothered to properly cancel her appointment. As it turned out she wouldn't have been too late, I saw OB only 15 mins after my appointment time and I was the booking before her!

Then there was SS illegal parker.

We have a row of permit parking spots for our daycare centre at work since parking can be an issue. These spots are all clearly marked and are angle parking on a one way section of the carpark. At one end of the row there is a gap which isn't a parking spot, it's only about 2/3rds the size of a standard spot.

SS parker decided they would park there. Somehow they managed to reverse into the spot which considering the angle and the one way road would have taken a lot of effort. They also had to fold in their side mirror in order to fit between the curb and the car in the actual spot next to it. They only got 3/4 of the way into the spot because if they went any further back they would have hit the other car's mirror.

The car they were next to was a parent fron daycare. The SS had completely blocked both passenger side doors which meant they had blocked access to the carseat for the child. Due to the side mirror issue that car couldn't back out of the spot either. So they would have been completely stuck until SS came back and moved their car or it got towed.

Someone must have objected to their parking because there was a note on their windshield, it was folded so I didn't get to see what it said!

English1

« Reply #23603 on: September 26, 2013, 09:22:33 AM »
I couldn't believe this one...

A couple of friends got married. They had a terrible time deciding on the guest list (both large families and lots of friends) and who to invite all day, who to the reception, who they could not invite at all. It was a very formal event at a hotel so not possible to add last minute extra people.

His best friend from childhood was the best man. 2 weeks before wedding best man's girlfriend of a couple of months demanded to be invited to the wedding (she had not been on the scene when invitations were done, my friends have never met her, they'd only recently started dating...) and if she wasn't - he wouldn't be allowed to be best man!

They had no option to give in to the blackmail. A real friend of theirs had to be 'uninvited' from the wedding, took it in good grace and luckily they had a last minute drop out due to illness so they were able to re-invite him.

The story went round the whole wedding and I'm surprised she didn't fizzle up and burst into flames from all the looks she was getting. And we all wondered why on earth best man didn't dump this special snowflake as soon as she showed what sort of awful person she was...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:24:43 AM by English1 »

Ginger G

« Reply #23604 on: September 26, 2013, 09:39:27 AM »
and if she wasn't - he wouldn't be allowed to be best man!

Wow, why would anybody put up with that type of behavior especially from someone they had only been seeing a couple of months?  I just don't get it!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #23605 on: September 26, 2013, 10:26:55 AM »

Wow, why would anybody put up with that type of behavior especially from someone they had only been seeing a couple of months?  I just don't get it!

Frankly, I would have pushed back on the best man. "Sorry, dude, but she's not getting an invitation. If you are going to put her tantrum over being in our wedding, then we'll miss you, but understand."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23606 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:12 AM »

Frankly, I would have pushed back on the best man. "Sorry, dude, but she's not getting an invitation. If you are going to put her tantrum over being in our wedding, then we'll miss you, but understand."

She could not possibly have provided a more obvious warning that she is a total control freak.  The Best Man, upon hearing her ultimatum, should have run like the wind!!

And if he didn't have the spine to tell her that yes, he indeed WAS going to be the Best Man, then I agree with Art that he should have been the one dropped from the wedding party and perhaps the guy who WAS initially dropped should have stepped in to take his place.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #23607 on: September 27, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »
I think your friends mishandled it, honestly, by throwing out someone else to accommodate a woman like that. If he was willing to go along with the blackmail, then he was as rude, and guilty, as she was.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Tsaiko

« Reply #23608 on: September 27, 2013, 09:38:21 AM »

She could not possibly have provided a more obvious warning that she is a total control freak.  The Best Man, upon hearing her ultimatum, should have run like the wind!!

And if he didn't have the spine to tell her that yes, he indeed WAS going to be the Best Man, then I agree with Art that he should have been the one dropped from the wedding party and perhaps the guy who WAS initially dropped should have stepped in to take his place.

I think we're all operating under the assumption that the Best Man knew she was going to make this threat. If I were the couple, I would have as quickly and politely as possible gotten off the phone with Crazy and immediately called Best Man to ask him if he was aware of what was going on. Because he 1) might not have known about the ultimatum, 2) not agreed with ultimatum if she had brought it up and didn't realize she was moving forward with it, and 3) it then prevents her from then turning around and complaining to Best Man that the couple were SO MEAN to her and she didn't understand WHY.

Forget the control freak nature, this raises red flags to me of beginning to try to isolate Best Man from his friends. Does the OP know if Best Man stayed with her after this?

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #23609 on: September 27, 2013, 09:45:07 AM »
Don't drive on the roadside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kOVRddGFm0&feature=youtu.be

Mean Jayhawk kinda wishes the camera had shown the driver's expression as they drove by.