Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4397501 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23625 on: September 30, 2013, 07:13:53 AM »
Yikes! If he's always like that I'd consider a cut!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #23626 on: September 30, 2013, 07:31:39 AM »
Yikes! If he's always like that I'd consider a cut!
Sadly that sort of thing seems to be par for the course for him.  :(
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #23627 on: September 30, 2013, 07:59:49 AM »
I recently attended a wedding where there was an open bar for the first few hours of the reception. People at the table where I ate kept announcing to each other how much longer the open bar ran so they could drink as much as possible for free. I personally consider this SS because they very much made it seem as if the reception was about getting smashed not the wedding couple.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #23628 on: September 30, 2013, 08:22:13 AM »
I don't consider that SS -- just greedy and rude. They don't sound like they're whining about the cutoff, or demanding free alcohol past the cutoff point, or anything; though that they seem to have come there for the free booze does make them rude and jerkish, it doesn't really make them entitled.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23629 on: September 30, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »
I don't consider that SS -- just greedy and rude. They don't sound like they're whining about the cutoff, or demanding free alcohol past the cutoff point, or anything; though that they seem to have come there for the free booze does make them rude and jerkish, it doesn't really make them entitled.

Rob

I think the snowflakish part is that they are trying to drink more than they might otherwise, because their dear friends (the HC) are footing the bill. It's basically saying, "I can't afford this much liquor - but *you* can."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shalamar

« Reply #23630 on: September 30, 2013, 11:22:05 AM »
Wolfway, your friend's father sounds like my brother-in-law.  I've told this story before - he once had a tantrum at our house on Boxing Day because I wouldn't let him watch The Game.  I pointedly turned off the TV, saying "We're here to socialize."   He stomped upstairs in a fury.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #23631 on: September 30, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
I've posted many, many stories about my MIL here before - she's very sweet, but her sense of appropriate behavior and boundaries tends to be . . . nonexistent, really.

So MIL's mother died a year ago and was cremated.  MIL and her three brothers got together on the anniversary of their mother's death and went to the city where GMIL had requested her ashes be scattered, at the old family farm.  (MIL and her brothers all live in different states and GMIL's family farm was in a separate state altogether, so this was what MIL termed a "creunion."  Cremation + reunion, I suppose.)

The farm isn't in the family anymore, but MIL had been in contact with the people who lived there a few years ago and they had told her they were fine with family coming to wander around the stream and the fields and whatnot if they were ever in town.  MIL and her brothers did so, calling ahead - only to find that the people MIL had talked to had recently sold the farmhouse to someone new who had just signed the paperwork but hadn't moved in yet.  As a result, there was no one to ask for permission to go inside the house and see what had changed (something MIL was really eager to do).

So the SS thing: MIL and her brothers scattered GMIL's ashes anyway, without actually talking to the people who now owned the property.  And since MIL couldn't get inside the house, she scattered some of the ashes on the doorstep so they'd get tracked into the house anyway, even without the new tenants knowing.  I mean, on the one hand they're just ashes, but conceptually something like "I'd like you to track bits of this dead person onto your carpet, please!" kind of squicks me out  :o

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23632 on: September 30, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
...   Father: "If I'd known you didn't have that channel anymore, I wouldn't have bothered coming!" ...

Well, there are two ways to avoid having a repeat of this problem:

1.  Check the sports section of the TV channel guide and never schedule another family event on the day of a 'big game'.
2.  Don't invite the FIL since he obviously has far more important things to do than spend time with his grandchildren.

I vote for choice 2.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23633 on: September 30, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »
Oh, my goodness gracious. That is extreme SS behavior!

So many cultures have strong feelings concerning death, that is definitely not okay!

Library Dragon

« Reply #23634 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »

Rob

No, that would have been DDIL's mother's boyfriend (did you get all that?).  The bartender was breaking down the bar at the reception and he was loudly bemoaning the fact that he couldn't get another free drink.  After all he had brought DDIL's mother down from St. Louis just for the wedding.  We okay-ed one more round. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #23635 on: September 30, 2013, 12:45:22 PM »
A family member posted on Facebook that they wanted their wife to hurry back because he didn't know where anything was in the kitchen.  I told him it was a good time for him to find out where things are in the kitchen. 

Along these same lines, years ago a co-worker had had four teeth pulled.  She told me she had taken some pain medication and had gone to sleep, and when her husband got home he woke her up and made her get up and make dinner for him.  I'd have told him, "Make yourself a sandwich," and gone back to sleep. 

Yarnspinner

« Reply #23636 on: September 30, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
Hope I haven't told this one before.  Sirius' post reminded me.

Best friend was hugely pregnant and was diagnosed with something that had to do with toxins and the baby's heart and her heart. Can't remember what it was called. To protect her and the baby, she was required to stay on the couch or in bed all day with a 15 minute break allowed every couple of hours for bathroom.

I put together half a dozen casseroles and brought them to her.  Her husband's comment:  "Oh, I am so glad you did that.  With this toxemia thing, she barely has time to slap together a sandwich and bring it to me before she has to lie down again."

I asked him why he couldn't make his own sandwich...and one for her while he was at it.  His reply:  "Hey, I work all day!  I expect someone else to fix my meals for me when I get home!"

Yeah, they have been divorced for almost ten years now......scariest thing?  She originally wanted to set ME up with this jewel of a man.  I feel as though I dodged a bullet.....

audhs

« Reply #23637 on: September 30, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
I know someone who's husband moved out a few weeks after their daughter was born because she never had anytime for him anymore.  >:( 

They have been divorced for years now.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #23638 on: September 30, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
Reading the above stories, I don't know what hurts more; my head or my heart.  what awful, selfish people.  >:(
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Shalamar

« Reply #23639 on: September 30, 2013, 03:17:55 PM »
YarnSpinner, if the husband had said that to me, I would have laughed merrily, thinking he was joking.  What.  A.  Tool.

That reminds me of a guy I used to work with.  His wife was a SAHM.  He took a few days off work because he had a cold, and when he got back to work, he said indignantly "My wife actually expected me to to do some chores while I was home, instead of letting me focus on getting better."  I said "Not that I don't sympathize, but think of it from her perspective.  What about when SHE gets sick?  With three little kids at home, she probably isn't allowed to just focus on getting better either."  He just stared at me uncomprehendingly.  "But ... that's her JOB."