Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5737066 times)

greencat

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23655 on: October 01, 2013, 12:31:10 AM »
One of the things that convinced me that I should break up with my ex was that when I broke a bone in my foot, and was laid up on pain meds for three weeks, that I had to stand in the kitchen for a good two hours washing dishes at the two week mark because the ex had not been doing them.  There was nothing clean to cook in or eat off of or drink out of - and I realized when I went to wash out my cup that I couldn't do that because the dishes were stacked too high in the sink to actually run water into the glass.  The dishwasher?  Empty except for a few bits and bobs that hadn't been used since the last time I ran it before I broke my foot.  :o

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #23656 on: October 01, 2013, 12:44:56 AM »
...   Father: "If I'd known you didn't have that channel anymore, I wouldn't have bothered coming!" ...

Well, there are two ways to avoid having a repeat of this problem:

1.  Check the sports section of the TV channel guide and never schedule another family event on the day of a 'big game'.
2.  Don't invite the FIL since he obviously has far more important things to do than spend time with his grandchildren.

I vote for choice 2.
It's not her father in law, it's her father. That's what made it all the worse for her.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #23657 on: October 01, 2013, 01:38:09 AM »
Hope I haven't told this one before.  Sirius' post reminded me.

Best friend was hugely pregnant and was diagnosed with something that had to do with toxins and the baby's heart and her heart. Can't remember what it was called. To protect her and the baby, she was required to stay on the couch or in bed all day with a 15 minute break allowed every couple of hours for bathroom.

I put together half a dozen casseroles and brought them to her.  Her husband's comment:  "Oh, I am so glad you did that.  With this toxemia thing, she barely has time to slap together a sandwich and bring it to me before she has to lie down again."

I asked him why he couldn't make his own sandwich...and one for her while he was at it.  His reply:  "Hey, I work all day!  I expect someone else to fix my meals for me when I get home!"

Yeah, they have been divorced for almost ten years now......scariest thing?  She originally wanted to set ME up with this jewel of a man.  I feel as though I dodged a bullet.....

Wow, there are guys who actually do the "woman, make me a sandwich" thing? I guess I was kind of hoping that was a cliche!

There's a tumblr dedicated to collecting tweets of guys who post a variant of the sandwich phrase, but then contrasted with another of their tweets that emphasis how immature, sad and lonely they actually are (probably because of their attitudes to women). If you google the phrase "make a sandwich tumblr" you should find it.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #23658 on: October 01, 2013, 08:26:21 AM »
Hope I haven't told this one before.  Sirius' post reminded me.

Best friend was hugely pregnant and was diagnosed with something that had to do with toxins and the baby's heart and her heart. Can't remember what it was called. To protect her and the baby, she was required to stay on the couch or in bed all day with a 15 minute break allowed every couple of hours for bathroom.

I put together half a dozen casseroles and brought them to her.  Her husband's comment:  "Oh, I am so glad you did that.  With this toxemia thing, she barely has time to slap together a sandwich and bring it to me before she has to lie down again."

I asked him why he couldn't make his own sandwich...and one for her while he was at it.  His reply:  "Hey, I work all day!  I expect someone else to fix my meals for me when I get home!"

Yeah, they have been divorced for almost ten years now......scariest thing?  She originally wanted to set ME up with this jewel of a man.  I feel as though I dodged a bullet.....

Wow, there are guys who actually do the "woman, make me a sandwich" thing? I guess I was kind of hoping that was a cliche!

What's weird is that my brothers would be perfectly happy to make their own sandwich, but it would never occur to them to ask 'I'm making a sandwich. Do you want anything?'   
Yeah, they're self-sufficient, but totally ignorant of anyone outside of their own bubbles.

Jones

« Reply #23659 on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:12 AM »
I know someone who's husband moved out a few weeks after their daughter was born because she never had anytime for him anymore.  >:( 

They have been divorced for years now.

One of my friend's coworkers had a "surprise" baby with his girlfriend.  The baby was colicky and cried a lot. So friend's coworker moved out when the baby was three months old because he "couldn't handle the stress" of a crying baby.  But his girlfriend, I suppose, could handle it all on her own.  ::)

Oh, and when he wasn't dashing out of the door to avoid the baby's crying, he was griping at the girlfriend over her eating habits.  He was a super-clean, paleo diet type and when he found a bag of potato chips in the house, he took it as a "personal betrayal" and woke her up from a nap (you know, to get the sleep she missed while caring for their crying baby ALONE because he was too stressed) to start an argument over bringing chips into the house. She told him good riddance and they do not have contact beyond his weekend visits with the now toilet trained, non-colicky preschooler.

.... and he didn't understand why my friend didn't think this was reasonable behavior.  My friend doesn't talk much to him anymore.
Good Riddance is right. Her life probably only improved once he left.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23660 on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:58 AM »
Our crazy neighbors have not been behaving. Again.

This time, the assistant property manager was showing the model unit, and the neighbors (all young women in their 20's) were screaming at each other and throwing things at each other in the street in between the buildings. Property manager called law enforcement and reported it as a domestic incident. Then crazy neighbors had someone come to visit and the parked in the middle of the street for over an hour. The police came, and had the car towed and wrote a citation to crazy neighbors.

To top it all off, they now have a puppy, who they leave on the balcony all day and all night. Which is not allowed in the lease agreement.

Sigh.

Evil Snowfire grabs a bowl of popcornand a drink and settles into the recliner for what is sure to be a continuing saga of misbehavior.

They now have two Husky puppies (in Florida!) outside on their balcony. We heard crying and whining all night. I will call the office again after class.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #23661 on: October 01, 2013, 08:34:14 AM »

They now have two Husky puppies (in Florida!) outside on their balcony. We heard crying and whining all night. I will call the office again after class.

If the office won't help try calling the ASPCA; we had a couple in the complex that was just thisside of neglect and they had the ASPCA called on them so many times they voluntarily rehomed the poor dog.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23662 on: October 01, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »
This morning I had two extra special shiny sparkly special snowflakes, in the same area.

Driving, at top of exit ramp, stopped at a light, in the left turn lane. S5 goes through the intersection after their light was red, and was blocking both turn lanes. I have a great horn and I am not afraid to apply it as needed. He somehow finds enough room to move forward, but my lane through is blocked. I waited for the two cars in the center left turn lane to pass and was able to get around.

Second S5 also wanted to turn left where the first one did, but missed the turn and stops in the middle of the straight lane to make a left. I slammed on my brakes behind her, as I was traveling the speed limit the two blocks between and she suddenly stopped. She then proceeds to go straight and make a u-turn.

For both of these, I guess everyone else's safety and ability to drive on the roads is trumped by their convenience.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23663 on: October 01, 2013, 10:42:47 AM »

If the office won't help try calling the ASPCA; we had a couple in the complex that was just thisside of neglect and they had the ASPCA called on them so many times they voluntarily rehomed the poor dog.

The ASPCA is only in NYC. Many people believe that all the SPCAs are linked together under one umbrella organization - that is not the case. The local SPCA has no affiliation and gets no money from the ASPCA. So the OP should find out who does animal cruelty cases in her area and call them. (not every area has an agency called SPCA either)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23664 on: October 01, 2013, 10:55:33 AM »
...   Father: "If I'd known you didn't have that channel anymore, I wouldn't have bothered coming!" ...

Well, there are two ways to avoid having a repeat of this problem:

1.  Check the sports section of the TV channel guide and never schedule another family event on the day of a 'big game'.
2.  Don't invite the FIL since he obviously has far more important things to do than spend time with his grandchildren.

I vote for choice 2.
It's not her father in law, it's her father. That's what made it all the worse for her.

I stand corrected, but it doesn't change my attitude!   ;D
You're right.  It does make it worse.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23665 on: October 01, 2013, 11:24:31 AM »
Our crazy neighbors have not been behaving. Again.

This time, the assistant property manager was showing the model unit, and the neighbors (all young women in their 20's) were screaming at each other and throwing things at each other in the street in between the buildings. Property manager called law enforcement and reported it as a domestic incident. Then crazy neighbors had someone come to visit and the parked in the middle of the street for over an hour. The police came, and had the car towed and wrote a citation to crazy neighbors.

To top it all off, they now have a puppy, who they leave on the balcony all day and all night. Which is not allowed in the lease agreement.

Sigh.

Evil Snowfire grabs a bowl of popcornand a drink and settles into the recliner for what is sure to be a continuing saga of misbehavior.

And nothing can cry like a husky puppy.  Poor dogs.  Maryland is even too warm for them in the summer, but at least it sometimes snows here.  We put in a special tiled area in front of the fireplace so that our husky would have somewhere cold to lie on in the summer.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

earthgirl

« Reply #23666 on: October 01, 2013, 11:41:46 AM »
Only on page 1221 but I have a really weird one.  The SS who took my boyfriend's order at the pizza parlour down the street.  He ate there with friends but before he left he placed an order to bring home to wake me up with (grrr midnights!). He ordered my favorite:  onion and pineapple.  She told him she couldn't process his order.  Thinking he'd done something wrong, he asked why.  Her reply:  "Nobody likes that combination!  How about green peppers and onions instead?"  Bless his chivalrous heart, he wouldn't argue with a woman and just went along with it, knowing I like all veggies.  I just thought that was pretty darn presumptuous.  How does she know what I like?!

That would have prompted a call to the restaurant manager from me. Why is she deciding what someone likes or doesn't? I worked in a pizza place through high school and part of college. We got some orders for combinations that grossed me out on occasion. But, no one would have thought it was okay to tell the customer that they couldn't process the order because "nobody likes that combination."

I went to a chain that specializes in frozen delicacies and specifically ordered a yogurt smoothie (as opposed to a sorbet smoothie).  I noticed that the girl was making a sorbet smoothie so I corrected her.  She made a face and said, "I'm making you a sorbet smoothie because this is how I like to make them."   
She seemed surprised when I asked her to please make what I had actually ordered instead of what she wanted to give me, and even more surprised when I walked out the door when she balked at my request. 
I didn't even think of contacting the manager. 

Christabeldreams

« Reply #23667 on: October 01, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »
Not sure if this qualifies as special snowflake, but it certainly looked unsafe. On the way to church last Sunday, we passed a group of cyclists in the other lane, biking side by side, instead of one by one, and taking up the entire lane. So, instead of looking like this:
 8)
 8)
 8)

It looked like this:
 8) 8) 8)

No cars could get through, but fortunately, there weren't any cars behind them when we drove past. However, the whole thing struck me as a little SS (It would only be really SS if they didn't move to let cars past) and VERY unsafe if there was a speedster behind them. All it would take was one impatient driver...

BarensMom

« Reply #23668 on: October 01, 2013, 02:22:23 PM »

The ASPCA is only in NYC. Many people believe that all the SPCAs are linked together under one umbrella organization - that is not the case. The local SPCA has no affiliation and gets no money from the ASPCA. So the OP should find out who does animal cruelty cases in her area and call them. (not every area has an agency called SPCA either)

I would call the local Animal Control - if they're organized the same way as in CA, the officers can immediately seize the dogs and issue citations.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23669 on: October 01, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »
Called the office again. So far, no results. I will call local Animal Control tomorrow if things don't improve.