Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5526032 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23670 on: October 01, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »
Not sure if this qualifies as special snowflake, but it certainly looked unsafe. On the way to church last Sunday, we passed a group of cyclists in the other lane, biking side by side, instead of one by one, and taking up the entire lane. So, instead of looking like this:
 8)
 8)
 8)

It looked like this:
 8) 8) 8)

No cars could get through, but fortunately, there weren't any cars behind them when we drove past. However, the whole thing struck me as a little SS (It would only be really SS if they didn't move to let cars past) and VERY unsafe if there was a speedster behind them. All it would take was one impatient driver...

This can be contentious and varies a lot on the area.  Cyclists in the road have the same rights as motorists, and most will move over toward the side of the road to let faster cars by if they can.  However, if you do that when cycling, some motorists will blast right by you without moving over, which is extremely unsafe because it can knock you into loose gravel or sand on the side of the road.  The drag effect from a large vehicle speeding past you also pulls your bike back into the lane, and there have been many cyclist deaths where one car speeds past and pulls the bike into the path of a second car which also wasn't intending to pass safely.

So yes, proper cycling etiquette is to go into single-file line when a car comes so they can pass all of you sequentially, but sometimes safety trumps etiquette.  If you're cycling in an area where the shoulder is not safe to ride on, it's better to stick as a group and take the lane you have the legal right to.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23671 on: October 01, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »
We have SS cyclists near my work that ride alongside each other in the right lane, even though they have a clearly designated bike lane. They have now been ticketed for running a red light and for not using the bike lanes that were put in for them.

magicdomino

« Reply #23672 on: October 01, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
I'm nominating my sister for Special Snowflake status, at least for this.

Recently, we were talking on the phone and the subject of our late brother came up.  Sister was very upset because she wanted to be holding Brother's hand when he passed away, and his wife and son didn't even bother to call her.  This was her younger brother; how could they leave her out?  Then his immediate family was cruel enough to have him cremated, and scatter the ashes way out in some private cemetary where his wife's family is buried.  Sister doesn't even know the full name of the cemetary, and how can she sit by his grave and talk to him if she can't find him. 

I happen to know that Sister was delibrately left out of the last hours because of her tendency toward drama, and the burial arrangements because what she wanted wasn't at all what they wanted, but I'm not going to tell her that.  I thought about telling her that I want to be cremated and dumped in the back yard, though.   >:D

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23673 on: October 01, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »

Recently, we were talking on the phone and the subject of our late brother came up.  Sister was very upset because she wanted to be holding Brother's hand when he passed away, and his wife and son didn't even bother to call her.  This was her younger brother; how could they leave her out?  Then his immediate family was cruel enough to have him cremated, and scatter the ashes way out in some private cemetary where his wife's family is buried.  Sister doesn't even know the full name of the cemetary, and how can she sit by his grave and talk to him if she can't find him. 

I happen to know that Sister was delibrately left out of the last hours because of her tendency toward drama, and the burial arrangements because what she wanted wasn't at all what they wanted, but I'm not going to tell her that.  I thought about telling her that I want to be cremated and dumped in the back yard, though.   >:D
Tell her you want her to accompany your body to Tibet for a sky burial.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial >:D >:D >:D
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #23674 on: October 01, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »

There is an old proverb about someone wanting to be the bride at every wedding and the widow at every funeral (if not the corpse - it is the center of attention, but being dead is no fun for a drama llama).

Does this sound like your sister at all?

I have no idea what to do with a sparkly Princess Drama Llama like that - shooting them just sends them into transports of joy as they are now able to play the wounded innocent for weeks (Princess Drama Llamas take two or three times as long to recover from any thing as normal people do - even hang nails will cause issues for days).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23675 on: October 01, 2013, 05:14:31 PM »
I'm nominating my DH today. DH and I differ on our buying philosophy. If we have 2 options that are reasonably close in features, price, and functionality, I'll pick the cheaper or what I consider more functional option. DH will pick the nicer looking or "cooler" one.

We are currently looking for a used truck for DS. DS really doesn't care too much as long as it is not one of the 3 colors he's vetoed, has a crew cab and short bed, and is one of 3 makes that he likes. Initially when looking DH would nix some I suggested because "he didn't like the way they looked". It's taken a while but we've finally got down to them either falling into ones he says "look like and old man's truck" or they "look like a work crew truck".

Today I pulled one up that met all the requirements. Right color, right make, good price, low mileage and all the other criteria.
Me: "Hey look at this one, it's a diesel 2009 X model. What do you think?"
Him: "It's a diesel" said in a disparaging tone.
Me: "Yeah, I know."
Him: "But it's a diesel."
Me: "Yeah, diesels get better mileage and the engines usually last a lot longer."
Him: "But it's diesel."
Me: "I know. What the h*#)) is wrong with a diesel?"
Him: "Teens don't drive diesels. That's a farm or work truck."
Me:  :o ::) >:(

Iris

« Reply #23676 on: October 01, 2013, 07:03:56 PM »
I know someone who's husband moved out a few weeks after their daughter was born because she never had anytime for him anymore.  >:( 

They have been divorced for years now.

One of my friend's coworkers had a "surprise" baby with his girlfriend.  The baby was colicky and cried a lot. So friend's coworker moved out when the baby was three months old because he "couldn't handle the stress" of a crying baby.  But his girlfriend, I suppose, could handle it all on her own.  ::)

Oh, and when he wasn't dashing out of the door to avoid the baby's crying, he was griping at the girlfriend over her eating habits.  He was a super-clean, paleo diet type and when he found a bag of potato chips in the house, he took it as a "personal betrayal" and woke her up from a nap (you know, to get the sleep she missed while caring for their crying baby ALONE because he was too stressed) to start an argument over bringing chips into the house. She told him good riddance and they do not have contact beyond his weekend visits with the now toilet trained, non-colicky preschooler.

.... and he didn't understand why my friend didn't think this was reasonable behavior.  My friend doesn't talk much to him anymore.

Thank you for posting this. DD1 was a surprise baby and cried All The Time for the first three months for a few reasons, and also I struggled to lose the baby weight. (Now) DH was absolutely an equal partner through all of it and has never ever complained about my eating, even now when I have the baby weight back and then some. He will really appreciate you telling this story when his wife is extra nice to him when he gets home from work  :)

I guess sometimes we all need a little perspective to remember how lucky we are.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23677 on: October 01, 2013, 08:21:16 PM »
Our city's airport is shut down right now because two men left suspicous packages around the airport and were arrested (one man was taken off a flight bound for DC). One of them supposedly told security "I have a bomb." Yet special snowflakes are whining to the tv stations "ugh, don't interrupt my show for this."  ???
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:24:13 PM by TeamBhakta »

snowdragon

« Reply #23678 on: October 01, 2013, 08:58:42 PM »
An acquaintance (BB)of mine had a car die recently,while she was out and about with her kids. She posted from her smartphone that she had called everyone in the area - no one could get them and they were "stuck" as they would not all fit in the towtruck cab.
  Another acquaintance (CT) replied that he was free, and close to where she was stuck and would come get them and take them home. Apparently the kids were quite rambunctious in CT's car including drawing in spit on CT's windows. CT found out about this, when he witnessed it as he fueled up the car at a gas station. He asked twice, politely, for the kids not to do that - and their mother responded with 'They are allowed to do that'. CT's response was "Not in my car and if it continues, I will leave you here." BB is now livid that CT "tried to tell her how to parent her kids, and threatened to abandon us at the roadside." and is telling everyone who will listen how horrible CT is.
  She's simply beside herself that most of us agree with CT and some have told her that it's gross for her kids to cover windows in spit.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23679 on: October 01, 2013, 09:33:22 PM »
^^^   :o  Now we know why no one else would come and rescue them!!  CT won't either, next time.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #23680 on: October 01, 2013, 11:57:26 PM »
I'm nominating my DH today. DH and I differ on our buying philosophy. If we have 2 options that are reasonably close in features, price, and functionality, I'll pick the cheaper or what I consider more functional option. DH will pick the nicer looking or "cooler" one.

We are currently looking for a used truck for DS. DS really doesn't care too much as long as it is not one of the 3 colors he's vetoed, has a crew cab and short bed, and is one of 3 makes that he likes. Initially when looking DH would nix some I suggested because "he didn't like the way they looked". It's taken a while but we've finally got down to them either falling into ones he says "look like and old man's truck" or they "look like a work crew truck".

Today I pulled one up that met all the requirements. Right color, right make, good price, low mileage and all the other criteria.
Me: "Hey look at this one, it's a diesel 2009 X model. What do you think?"
Him: "It's a diesel" said in a disparaging tone.
Me: "Yeah, I know."
Him: "But it's a diesel."
Me: "Yeah, diesels get better mileage and the engines usually last a lot longer."
Him: "But it's diesel."
Me: "I know. What the h*#)) is wrong with a diesel?"
Him: "Teens don't drive diesels. That's a farm or work truck."
Me:  :o ::) >:(

Ummmm may I just interject with a quick comment on how cool I think you are for wanting to buy your son a diesel? I would have fainted if my mom would have done that!  ;D

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #23681 on: October 02, 2013, 02:10:11 AM »
A family member posted on Facebook that they wanted their wife to hurry back because he didn't know where anything was in the kitchen.  I told him it was a good time for him to find out where things are in the kitchen. 

You'll be glad to know that it turns out I was wrong about the family member.  He's actually no stranger to the kitchen, but his wife had the kitchen set up the way she wanted it after a recent move, and because he wasn't able to help her (he was in a wheelchair after a motorcycle accident that caused him to lose a leg) he doesn't know where anything is.  Now that he's gotten more adept with his prosthetic leg he's started cooking again.  As his mother told me, "Do you really think I'd raise a son who didn't know his way around a kitchen?"     

MindsEye

« Reply #23682 on: October 02, 2013, 08:13:43 AM »
Not sure if this qualifies as special snowflake, but it certainly looked unsafe. On the way to church last Sunday, we passed a group of cyclists in the other lane, biking side by side, instead of one by one, and taking up the entire lane. So, instead of looking like this:
 8)
 8)
 8)

It looked like this:
 8) 8) 8)

No cars could get through, but fortunately, there weren't any cars behind them when we drove past. However, the whole thing struck me as a little SS (It would only be really SS if they didn't move to let cars past) and VERY unsafe if there was a speedster behind them. All it would take was one impatient driver...

This can be contentious and varies a lot on the area.  Cyclists in the road have the same rights as motorists, and most will move over toward the side of the road to let faster cars by if they can.  However, if you do that when cycling, some motorists will blast right by you without moving over, which is extremely unsafe because it can knock you into loose gravel or sand on the side of the road.  The drag effect from a large vehicle speeding past you also pulls your bike back into the lane, and there have been many cyclist deaths where one car speeds past and pulls the bike into the path of a second car which also wasn't intending to pass safely.

So yes, proper cycling etiquette is to go into single-file line when a car comes so they can pass all of you sequentially, but sometimes safety trumps etiquette.  If you're cycling in an area where the shoulder is not safe to ride on, it's better to stick as a group and take the lane you have the legal right to.

It does vary a lot depending on the area.  In my area (growing numbers of commuter bicyclists, few to no bike lanes, rough gravel shoulders on most roads) bicyclists are actually instructed to bike side by side in the road like that for their own safety, because it forces cars to pass them like another car and pass in the other lane, rather than simply blow past and run them off of the road.  Lone bicyclists are instructed to bike in the middle of the lane, rather than off to the side, for the same reason.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #23683 on: October 02, 2013, 09:38:52 AM »
One of the things that convinced me that I should break up with my ex was that when I broke a bone in my foot, and was laid up on pain meds for three weeks, that I had to stand in the kitchen for a good two hours washing dishes at the two week mark because the ex had not been doing them.  There was nothing clean to cook in or eat off of or drink out of - and I realized when I went to wash out my cup that I couldn't do that because the dishes were stacked too high in the sink to actually run water into the glass.  The dishwasher?  Empty except for a few bits and bobs that hadn't been used since the last time I ran it before I broke my foot.  :o

Did you take up with my EX?  Same exact story!

I couldn't drive either and he refused to drive me anywhere he didn't want to go.  Controlling much?   

magicdomino

« Reply #23684 on: October 02, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »

There is an old proverb about someone wanting to be the bride at every wedding and the widow at every funeral (if not the corpse - it is the center of attention, but being dead is no fun for a drama llama).

Does this sound like your sister at all?
I have no idea what to do with a sparkly Princess Drama Llama like that - shooting them just sends them into transports of joy as they are now able to play the wounded innocent for weeks (Princess Drama Llamas take two or three times as long to recover from any thing as normal people do - even hang nails will cause issues for days).

I won't go quite that far, but Sister can be pretty self-centered sometimes.  She behaves pretty well at weddings, aside from maybe drinking a bit too much champange, but deaths of close family members require much weeping and wailing and hanging around the house for hours being useless.*  My late brother requested that she not be called in because her presence would be too upsetting; instead of comforting him in his last hours, he and his family would have to try and comfort her. 

Now, it's quite possible that the rest of us judge her too harshly, and Sister really is that sensitive to grief.  What really got me this time was her complaints that Late Brother's funeral arrangements were so terrible for her, when they were what Late Brother and his wife wanted.

*When my father died many years ago, Sister stayed at our house for three or four days.  Which wouldn't have been so bad, except she spent most of the time sitting on the couch talking to people, while Mother and other relatives took care of food, washing dishes, etc.  She did something similar when our mother died, except that she spent the nights at Mother's house.