Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5296488 times)

MindsEye

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23685 on: October 02, 2013, 08:13:43 AM »
Not sure if this qualifies as special snowflake, but it certainly looked unsafe. On the way to church last Sunday, we passed a group of cyclists in the other lane, biking side by side, instead of one by one, and taking up the entire lane. So, instead of looking like this:
 8)
 8)
 8)

It looked like this:
 8) 8) 8)

No cars could get through, but fortunately, there weren't any cars behind them when we drove past. However, the whole thing struck me as a little SS (It would only be really SS if they didn't move to let cars past) and VERY unsafe if there was a speedster behind them. All it would take was one impatient driver...

This can be contentious and varies a lot on the area.  Cyclists in the road have the same rights as motorists, and most will move over toward the side of the road to let faster cars by if they can.  However, if you do that when cycling, some motorists will blast right by you without moving over, which is extremely unsafe because it can knock you into loose gravel or sand on the side of the road.  The drag effect from a large vehicle speeding past you also pulls your bike back into the lane, and there have been many cyclist deaths where one car speeds past and pulls the bike into the path of a second car which also wasn't intending to pass safely.

So yes, proper cycling etiquette is to go into single-file line when a car comes so they can pass all of you sequentially, but sometimes safety trumps etiquette.  If you're cycling in an area where the shoulder is not safe to ride on, it's better to stick as a group and take the lane you have the legal right to.

It does vary a lot depending on the area.  In my area (growing numbers of commuter bicyclists, few to no bike lanes, rough gravel shoulders on most roads) bicyclists are actually instructed to bike side by side in the road like that for their own safety, because it forces cars to pass them like another car and pass in the other lane, rather than simply blow past and run them off of the road.  Lone bicyclists are instructed to bike in the middle of the lane, rather than off to the side, for the same reason.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #23686 on: October 02, 2013, 09:38:52 AM »
One of the things that convinced me that I should break up with my ex was that when I broke a bone in my foot, and was laid up on pain meds for three weeks, that I had to stand in the kitchen for a good two hours washing dishes at the two week mark because the ex had not been doing them.  There was nothing clean to cook in or eat off of or drink out of - and I realized when I went to wash out my cup that I couldn't do that because the dishes were stacked too high in the sink to actually run water into the glass.  The dishwasher?  Empty except for a few bits and bobs that hadn't been used since the last time I ran it before I broke my foot.  :o

Did you take up with my EX?  Same exact story!

I couldn't drive either and he refused to drive me anywhere he didn't want to go.  Controlling much?   

magicdomino

« Reply #23687 on: October 02, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
I'm nominating my sister for Special Snowflake status, at least for this.

Recently, we were talking on the phone and the subject of our late brother came up.  Sister was very upset because she wanted to be holding Brother's hand when he passed away, and his wife and son didn't even bother to call her.  This was her younger brother; how could they leave her out?  Then his immediate family was cruel enough to have him cremated, and scatter the ashes way out in some private cemetary where his wife's family is buried.  Sister doesn't even know the full name of the cemetary, and how can she sit by his grave and talk to him if she can't find him. 

I happen to know that Sister was delibrately left out of the last hours because of her tendency toward drama, and the burial arrangements because what she wanted wasn't at all what they wanted, but I'm not going to tell her that.  I thought about telling her that I want to be cremated and dumped in the back yard, though.   >:D

There is an old proverb about someone wanting to be the bride at every wedding and the widow at every funeral (if not the corpse - it is the center of attention, but being dead is no fun for a drama llama).

Does this sound like your sister at all?
I have no idea what to do with a sparkly Princess Drama Llama like that - shooting them just sends them into transports of joy as they are now able to play the wounded innocent for weeks (Princess Drama Llamas take two or three times as long to recover from any thing as normal people do - even hang nails will cause issues for days).

I won't go quite that far, but Sister can be pretty self-centered sometimes.  She behaves pretty well at weddings, aside from maybe drinking a bit too much champange, but deaths of close family members require much weeping and wailing and hanging around the house for hours being useless.*  My late brother requested that she not be called in because her presence would be too upsetting; instead of comforting him in his last hours, he and his family would have to try and comfort her. 

Now, it's quite possible that the rest of us judge her too harshly, and Sister really is that sensitive to grief.  What really got me this time was her complaints that Late Brother's funeral arrangements were so terrible for her, when they were what Late Brother and his wife wanted.

*When my father died many years ago, Sister stayed at our house for three or four days.  Which wouldn't have been so bad, except she spent most of the time sitting on the couch talking to people, while Mother and other relatives took care of food, washing dishes, etc.  She did something similar when our mother died, except that she spent the nights at Mother's house.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23688 on: October 02, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »
I'm nominating my sister for Special Snowflake status, at least for this.

Recently, we were talking on the phone and the subject of our late brother came up.  Sister was very upset because she wanted to be holding Brother's hand when he passed away, and his wife and son didn't even bother to call her.  This was her younger brother; how could they leave her out?  Then his immediate family was cruel enough to have him cremated, and scatter the ashes way out in some private cemetary where his wife's family is buried.  Sister doesn't even know the full name of the cemetary, and how can she sit by his grave and talk to him if she can't find him. 

I happen to know that Sister was delibrately left out of the last hours because of her tendency toward drama, and the burial arrangements because what she wanted wasn't at all what they wanted, but I'm not going to tell her that.  I thought about telling her that I want to be cremated and dumped in the back yard, though.   >:D

There is an old proverb about someone wanting to be the bride at every wedding and the widow at every funeral (if not the corpse - it is the center of attention, but being dead is no fun for a drama llama).

Does this sound like your sister at all?
snip

Oh, wow, it might not sound like her sister, but it pegs one of mine to a "T".

Ryuugan80

• AO3 Profile
« Reply #23689 on: October 02, 2013, 11:39:21 AM »
Our city's airport is shut down right now because two men left suspicous packages around the airport and were arrested (one man was taken off a flight bound for DC). One of them supposedly told security "I have a bomb." Yet special snowflakes are whining to the tv stations "ugh, don't interrupt my show for this."  ???

I wouldn't call this SS. To be fair, they might have been in the middle of a nail biting movie/show/game and simply didnt want it be interrupted by a news story that would no doubt be covered round the clock by a station that is mostly news or is already playing a news program. Especially if you're not in an area that the story directly affects or you are watching one of those stations that don't pause the show but pick up where it would have been without the interruption.
"Yo, those kids are straight up liars, man. All I told them to do was run product. And by product, I mean chewing gum."  - Lie to Me

-----

Lestrade: "Exactly how many times did he fall out of the window?"
Sherlock: "Oh, it's all a bit of a blur, Detective Inspector. I lost count

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #23690 on: October 02, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »
Ran into a snowflake this morning.  In Manhattan, there are a lot of food trucks around.  One of my favorite food trucks does vegan dishes and is always near my office on Wednesdays, so I always make a point to stop there to get breakfast.  This one only has three people - one who acts like the cashier and give food out, and two to cook the food.

Today there was a lady who was arguing with the cashier because she thought that vegan meant peanut-free, so she was upset that some of their products had peanuts in them and they can't guarantee completely peanut-free.  She was ranting and raving and monopolozing the cashier, and when he started ignoring her and tried to take other people's orders, she started yelling at the other customers, too.  What a special snowflake. 

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #23691 on: October 02, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »
Our city's airport is shut down right now because two men left suspicous packages around the airport and were arrested (one man was taken off a flight bound for DC). One of them supposedly told security "I have a bomb." Yet special snowflakes are whining to the tv stations "ugh, don't interrupt my show for this."  ???

I wouldn't call this SS. To be fair, they might have been in the middle of a nail biting movie/show/game and simply didnt want it be interrupted by a news story that would no doubt be covered round the clock by a station that is mostly news or is already playing a news program. Especially if you're not in an area that the story directly affects or you are watching one of those stations that don't pause the show but pick up where it would have been without the interruption.

I agree. The 24/7 media attention to "breaking events" when there's no news actually emerging is exhausting. If I was worried about catching a flight later or somebody I knew at the airport, then I'd check an actual news channel or online, which the vast majority of Americans have access to these days.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23692 on: October 02, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »

I agree. The 24/7 media attention to "breaking events" when there's no news actually emerging is exhausting. If I was worried about catching a flight later or somebody I knew at the airport, then I'd check an actual news channel or online, which the vast majority of Americans have access to these days.

So I shouldn't expect to get current local news from the local station ? I should just check CNN or whatever every couple hours to see what's happened in my town that day, just so someone doesn't miss an episode of The Voice ?  ??? (that was one of the shows people whined about)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #23693 on: October 02, 2013, 12:25:59 PM »
Special snowflake collision between one of the my-dogs-are-my-children variety and one of the douse-the-noisy-dog variety:

One of our neighbors was gardening, down on her hands and knees weeding next to her property wall. Her two small yappy-type spoilt brat dogs were with her and started barking at something. The next second the contents of a bucket of cold water was tossed over the wall by her next door neighbor!  The next door neighbor must have assumed she was away and the dogs were acting up.

The shrill shouting went on for a while.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Carotte

« Reply #23694 on: October 02, 2013, 12:47:20 PM »
Our city's airport is shut down right now because two men left suspicious packages around the airport and were arrested (one man was taken off a flight bound for DC). One of them supposedly told security "I have a bomb." Yet special snowflakes are whining to the TV stations "ugh, don't interrupt my show for this."  ???

I wouldn't call this SS. To be fair, they might have been in the middle of a nail biting movie/show/game and simply didn't want it be interrupted by a news story that would no doubt be covered round the clock by a station that is mostly news or is already playing a news program. Especially if you're not in an area that the story directly affects or you are watching one of those stations that don't pause the show but pick up where it would have been without the interruption.

I agree. The 24/7 media attention to "breaking events" when there's no news actually emerging is exhausting. If I was worried about catching a flight later or somebody I knew at the airport, then I'd check an actual news channel or on line, which the vast majority of Americans have access to these days.

So I shouldn't expect to get current local news from the local station ? I should just check CNN or whatever every couple hours to see what's happened in my town that day, just so someone doesn't miss an episode of The Voice ?  ??? (that was one of the shows people whined about)

It kind of depends how the TV station is doing it.
A message scrolling on the bottom of the screen and a 5/10 min "update" every hour or every commercial break, why not.
A "we'll cancel the next 4h block of programing to say the same thing over and over and over with nothing new and a quick word by a police officer that cannot say anything and a passerby that didn't see anything", is, quite frankly, for an airport shutdown, too much. Way too much.
Plus, seems like the threat has passed and nothing actually happened.
Unless the media is used to help police investigation, in a "we are searching for these 3 men/this missing child, anyone that might have info please contact blah blah blah" it sounds like they're trying to create drama and fear mongering to drum up audience.
So, A) depend what actually happened, B) depend how it's being broadcasted,
Not knowing how it goes in this case, I cannot say if they're SS or not.

Goosey

« Reply #23695 on: October 02, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »

I could definitely see a "breaking news - ____________. More details at 10", but I am so TIRED of shows being interrupted to watch "news" which consists of interviewing anyone and everyone walking by to get their take on the matter. If there's actual news, fine, but that is almost never what's happening.

And yes, you should have to watch the news to get your news. Or sign up for updates to your phone if it's important to you to stay up-to-date. But just because I like my trashy tv show uninterupted by Joe Everman saying, "Oooo scary!" doesn't make me SS. Just means I want my brain candy.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23696 on: October 02, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »

I could definitely see a "breaking news - ____________. More details at 10", but I am so TIRED of shows being interrupted to watch "news" which consists of interviewing anyone and everyone walking by to get their take on the matter. If there's actual news, fine, but that is almost never what's happening.

And yes, you should have to watch the news to get your news. Or sign up for updates to your phone if it's important to you to stay up-to-date. But just because I like my trashy tv show uninterupted by Joe Everman saying, "Oooo scary!" doesn't make me SS. Just means I want my brain candy.

But your show will be on DVD at some point or be rerun again. My news stories will not

turtleIScream

« Reply #23697 on: October 02, 2013, 01:01:44 PM »

But your show will be on DVD at some point or be rerun again. My news stories will not

Re: the bolded. Not always. Shows like The Voice or So You Think You Can Dance have copyright limitations that do not allow for DVD release. Furthermore, it is up to the individual station to determine if they will run a re-broadcast. I can see being annoyed at having a show like that interrupted for meaningless news updates. But OTT whining is uncalled for.

Goosey

« Reply #23698 on: October 02, 2013, 01:02:19 PM »

But I'm saying that it's not actual news. It's mostly conjecture and useless interviews with random people on the street. There are plenty of 24-hour local and national news channels that you could turn to if you want to see your news. But being upset or annoyed that your "news" over-taking my shows when you have other options to get what you want and me missing this show means I'm probably not going to see it again for weeks (by which time it's going to be spoiled) is not SS or anything like it.

Mollie

« Reply #23699 on: October 02, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »
I watched Jeopardy a couple of times when they interrupted it for a breaking news story, and it is very annoying, and no, they won't be on dvd or rerun. It is important and I do like knowing what is happening as I don't watch the news, but I also want to see what the final question is.