Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5040344 times)

nuit93

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23700 on: October 02, 2013, 01:22:40 PM »
Ran into a snowflake this morning.  In Manhattan, there are a lot of food trucks around.  One of my favorite food trucks does vegan dishes and is always near my office on Wednesdays, so I always make a point to stop there to get breakfast.  This one only has three people - one who acts like the cashier and give food out, and two to cook the food.

Today there was a lady who was arguing with the cashier because she thought that vegan meant peanut-free, so she was upset that some of their products had peanuts in them and they can't guarantee completely peanut-free.  She was ranting and raving and monopolozing the cashier, and when he started ignoring her and tried to take other people's orders, she started yelling at the other customers, too.  What a special snowflake.

"You keep on using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23701 on: October 02, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »
Inconceivable!

andi

« Reply #23702 on: October 02, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »
Ran into a snowflake this morning.  In Manhattan, there are a lot of food trucks around.  One of my favorite food trucks does vegan dishes and is always near my office on Wednesdays, so I always make a point to stop there to get breakfast.  This one only has three people - one who acts like the cashier and give food out, and two to cook the food.

Today there was a lady who was arguing with the cashier because she thought that vegan meant peanut-free, so she was upset that some of their products had peanuts in them and they can't guarantee completely peanut-free.  She was ranting and raving and monopolozing the cashier, and when he started ignoring her and tried to take other people's orders, she started yelling at the other customers, too.  What a special snowflake.
"You keep on using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

:snort laugh:

Shalamar

« Reply #23703 on: October 02, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
she thought that vegan meant peanut-free.

Yeesh! 

Coincidentally, I brought a vegan zucchini-chocolate-chip loaf to work yesterday, and I labeled it with "Vegan - nut-free".  One guy came up to me and said, puzzled, "But nuts don't contain meat."  I had to explain that I'd pointed out the nut-free aspect because some folks are allergic, not because I thought that vegan = nut-free and vice-versa.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23704 on: October 02, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »
A family member posted on Facebook that they wanted their wife to hurry back because he didn't know where anything was in the kitchen.  I told him it was a good time for him to find out where things are in the kitchen. 

You'll be glad to know that it turns out I was wrong about the family member.  He's actually no stranger to the kitchen, but his wife had the kitchen set up the way she wanted it after a recent move, and because he wasn't able to help her (he was in a wheelchair after a motorcycle accident that caused him to lose a leg) he doesn't know where anything is.  Now that he's gotten more adept with his prosthetic leg he's started cooking again.  As his mother told me, "Do you really think I'd raise a son who didn't know his way around a kitchen?"   

I'd have absolutely taken his comment as a joke, anyway.

carol1412

« Reply #23705 on: October 02, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »
Our city's airport is shut down right now because two men left suspicous packages around the airport and were arrested (one man was taken off a flight bound for DC). One of them supposedly told security "I have a bomb." Yet special snowflakes are whining to the tv stations "ugh, don't interrupt my show for this."  ???

I wouldn't call this SS. To be fair, they might have been in the middle of a nail biting movie/show/game and simply didnt want it be interrupted by a news story that would no doubt be covered round the clock by a station that is mostly news or is already playing a news program. Especially if you're not in an area that the story directly affects or you are watching one of those stations that don't pause the show but pick up where it would have been without the interruption.

I agree. The 24/7 media attention to "breaking events" when there's no news actually emerging is exhausting. If I was worried about catching a flight later or somebody I knew at the airport, then I'd check an actual news channel or online, which the vast majority of Americans have access to these days.

So I shouldn't expect to get current local news from the local station ? I should just check CNN or whatever every couple hours to see what's happened in my town that day, just so someone doesn't miss an episode of The Voice ?  ??? (that was one of the shows people whined about)

I could definitely see a "breaking news - ____________. More details at 10", but I am so TIRED of shows being interrupted to watch "news" which consists of interviewing anyone and everyone walking by to get their take on the matter. If there's actual news, fine, but that is almost never what's happening.

And yes, you should have to watch the news to get your news. Or sign up for updates to your phone if it's important to you to stay up-to-date. But just because I like my trashy tv show uninterupted by Joe Everman saying, "Oooo scary!" doesn't make me SS. Just means I want my brain candy.

Even worse is the hours-long "breaking news" that it's snowing in Wisconsin. News in July, not so much in January. Besides, we know the storm is pretty ugly. That's why we stayed home from work and off the slippery, dangerous streets. Now feed my junk-TV-loving soul instead of telling me "it's still snowing". Yep. Looked out the window and goldurnit, you're right!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #23706 on: October 02, 2013, 01:41:26 PM »
Our city's airport is shut down right now because two men left suspicous packages around the airport and were arrested (one man was taken off a flight bound for DC). One of them supposedly told security "I have a bomb." Yet special snowflakes are whining to the tv stations "ugh, don't interrupt my show for this."  ???

I wouldn't call this SS. To be fair, they might have been in the middle of a nail biting movie/show/game and simply didnt want it be interrupted by a news story that would no doubt be covered round the clock by a station that is mostly news or is already playing a news program. Especially if you're not in an area that the story directly affects or you are watching one of those stations that don't pause the show but pick up where it would have been without the interruption.

I agree. The 24/7 media attention to "breaking events" when there's no news actually emerging is exhausting. If I was worried about catching a flight later or somebody I knew at the airport, then I'd check an actual news channel or online, which the vast majority of Americans have access to these days.

So I shouldn't expect to get current local news from the local station ? I should just check CNN or whatever every couple hours to see what's happened in my town that day, just so someone doesn't miss an episode of The Voice ?  ??? (that was one of the shows people whined about)

If there's nothing new actually happening, and they're just rehashing the details over and over again, then they might do better to just add a news ticker  to the bottom of the screen with regular programming. Then cut in again when there are new developments. If there are new, ongoing developments, then yea, sorry, news takes priority.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23707 on: October 02, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »

If there's nothing new actually happening, and they're just rehashing the details over and over again, then they might do better to just add a news ticker  to the bottom of the screen with regular programming. Then cut in again when there are new developments. If there are new, ongoing developments, then yea, sorry, news takes priority.

And if I want to watch my local news to find out what's happening in my home town, I watch my local news. You know, the Evening News at 6, or the Nightly News at 10. The news show. I don't randomly turn on the tv and expect them to start showing the news. If I want 24hour coverage of something, then yes, I'll turn on CNN/Fox or get online. Each type of show has its own place.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23708 on: October 02, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »

I could definitely see a "breaking news - ____________. More details at 10", but I am so TIRED of shows being interrupted to watch "news" which consists of interviewing anyone and everyone walking by to get their take on the matter. If there's actual news, fine, but that is almost never what's happening.

And yes, you should have to watch the news to get your news. Or sign up for updates to your phone if it's important to you to stay up-to-date. But just because I like my trashy tv show uninterupted by Joe Everman saying, "Oooo scary!" doesn't make me SS. Just means I want my brain candy.

But your show will be on DVD at some point or be rerun again. My news stories will not

But I'm saying that it's not actual news. It's mostly conjecture and useless interviews with random people on the street. There are plenty of 24-hour local and national news channels that you could turn to if you want to see your news. But being upset or annoyed that your "news" over-taking my shows when you have other options to get what you want and me missing this show means I'm probably not going to see it again for weeks (by which time it's going to be spoiled) is not SS or anything like it.

This. If it is really something that requires citizen action then I can understand an hour of "breaking news" coverage. But when they have an hour of the same talking heads repeating the same information, doing interviews with on lookers who are providing no real information just their opinions, or showing the same video over and over, it is providing little to no value. In this case, unless you were impacted by the airport closure, I'm not sure why you would need immediate coverage.

But I'll admit this is a pet peeve of mine. I live in Houston where the local NBA team was in game 5 of the finals and was interrupted by the stupid OJ Simpson 30 mile an hour car chase. We all wondered if the local stations would switch to the city rioting about the disruption.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23709 on: October 02, 2013, 03:29:35 PM »
I respectfully request the television topic move to a spinoff thread.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #23710 on: October 02, 2013, 09:02:44 PM »
Setting new standards for picky:

A friend was telling me about her father, who has always tended toward "surly" but has gotten downright grumpy as he's gotten older.  Her parents had the gutters redone recently; her father got out a ladder to check out the job.  And then called the gutter company to complain because they used some tan nails, some brown nails, and some silver nails, and they should all match the gutter!  (You can't see the nails at all from the ground.)

Apparently the owner of the gutter company apologized and sent out a bag of properly-colored nails for the father to re-do himself if he wanted to.  He also mentioned that nobody had ever complained about the color of the nails used before  :o

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #23711 on: October 02, 2013, 09:48:51 PM »
I respectfully request the television topic move to a spinoff thread.
Done!

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=130312.0
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #23712 on: October 03, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »

Even worse is the hours-long "breaking news" that it's snowing in Wisconsin. News in July, not so much in January. Besides, we know the storm is pretty ugly. That's why we stayed home from work and off the slippery, dangerous streets. Now feed my junk-TV-loving soul instead of telling me "it's still snowing". Yep. Looked out the window and goldurnit, you're right!

This made me laugh out loud.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #23713 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
The people who like to make a big huge deal out of nothing, and get themselves all worked up in a tizzy, in the hopes they'll get something free.

DH belongs to an online forum dedicated to a specific make and model of car. One of the posters was ranting this morning about his most recent service appointment. Yes, the dealership fixed what was wrong with his car. Yes, they were timely and courteous and reasonably priced. The problem? There was a lighter sitting on the driver seat when he picked up his car. Most people would probably assume said lighter fell out of the pocket of the person who pulled his car around.

Not this guy. He is so distraught over finding a lighter sitting on his driver seat that he is going to call the vehicle manufacturer and complain about this dealership. Because....

Obviously the mechanics were smoking in his car!!! Does it smell like smoke inside his car? Well, no, but what if the mechanic took a stinky smoke break and then got into his car??!!! Does it smell like smoke inside his car? Still no. So what in the world is the issue? Yeah, I'm not sure either but he obviously expects the vehicle manufacturer to "do something" to ease his pain and suffering.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23714 on: October 04, 2013, 08:13:39 PM »
Does it smell like smoke inside his car? Still no. So what in the world is the issue? Yeah, I'm not sure either but he obviously expects the vehicle manufacturer to "do something" to ease his pain and suffering.

Evil me would tell Sheldon Cooper over there "I bet the mechanic took your car out for a joy ride with some ladies of ill repute. The lighter probably fell out of their purses. Oh man, what if they rode around Times Square hanging out the sun roof smoking and flashing people! You should check the car for random stray wig hairs. And they probably set back the odometer! Did your car seem too clean when you got it back ? Eww, I can only imagine what happened if they had to clean it up. You should check the fender well and under the driver's seat for drugs. I heard this true story on Snopes that some valet borrowed a car for a drug sale, left a bit behind by accident and boom, poor sap owner got arrested during a traffic stop later..."  >:D