Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5423913 times)

andi

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23715 on: October 05, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »
Ilove it when people claim to be something and have no idea what it really means - it so makes e eryone else look bad.  Like the two women who came into my hubby's store proclaiming  "we're Vegan we must have organically grown portabela mushrooms"!!  My hubby tried to explain why organically grown mushrooms were not Vegan friendly but they would not listen.  Just got louder and shriller, demanding  he give them "organically grown prtabela mushrooms because we are Vegan and we NEED them!!"

So after several attempts to explain that organically grown mushrooms are grown in sterilized horse manure and therefore NOT Vegan friendly, he gave up and sold them what they asked for.  By the way they acted they had no clue what was involved in actually following a Vegan lifestyle, especially since he noted they were also both carrying purses of a brand that only uses leather to make their  products

Sadly, they were not the first or last to ask for that item for that reason, but most people would listen while he explained what that wasn't what they really wanted.

Reika

« Reply #23716 on: October 05, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
A friend of mine posted this link about complaints regarding various overseas trips. It made me cringe because it sounds like some of the snowflakes that call my job.

http://blogdramedy.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/its-enough-to-make-you-cancel-your-reservation/

123sandy

« Reply #23717 on: October 05, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »
A friend of mine posted this link about complaints regarding various overseas trips. It made me cringe because it sounds like some of the snowflakes that call my job.

http://blogdramedy.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/its-enough-to-make-you-cancel-your-reservation/

I don't think those people were snowflake-y, I think they were stupid...

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #23718 on: October 05, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »

I don't think those people were snowflake-y, I think they were stupid...

The world has never had a shortage of idiots.  And they demonstrated that this is as true today as it has ever been.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23719 on: October 05, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »
My personal favorite:  "The beach was too sandy."   :o

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #23720 on: October 05, 2013, 05:32:10 PM »
My personal favorite:  "The beach was too sandy."   :o

It's not their fault.  They don't like sand.  It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

veryfluffy

« Reply #23721 on: October 05, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »

So after several attempts to explain that organically grown mushrooms are grown in sterilized horse manure and therefore NOT Vegan friendly, he gave up and sold them what they asked for.

Okay, sorry, I'm not getting why something grown in horse manure isn't vegan-friendly. No animal is killed or exploited in the production of manure.

andi

« Reply #23722 on: October 05, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »

So after several attempts to explain that organically grown mushrooms are grown in sterilized horse manure and therefore NOT Vegan friendly, he gave up and sold them what they asked for.

Okay, sorry, I'm not getting why something grown in horse manure isn't vegan-friendly. No animal is killed or exploited in the production of manure.

From what I understand - many Vegans do not eat/use anything that is from an animal - even byproducts  such as honey or milk.  (which i did not know before coming here) I know there are Vegans on the forum - maybe someone can give more details?

But it was their attitude in general that makes them SS to me
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:51:44 PM by andi »

purplerainbow

« Reply #23723 on: October 05, 2013, 05:59:26 PM »
I work in a school library, after school.
There are two doors to the library, one at each end. Only one door has the beepy security gates by it, so last year I had a sign put on the other door, requesting that it be kept locked.

It's true, the locked door would otherwise provide a shortcut to a couple of departments, up the stairs immediately behind it. But it's not an insurmountable distance to just use the other door, and walk by whichever route one prefers in order to get to specific classrooms etc.

Some staff do open the door for students if they are going that way themselves, but I refuse, for several reasons.
1) I have enough to do supervising students already. I do not need to be running up and down like a jack-in-the-box because a student decides they want to use that door.
2) If I open it for one person, I'd have to open it for everyone. Like I said, I have enough to do; I'm not running up and down the library, and leaving it unlocked would mean keeping watch for students smuggling out books.
3) It really isn't that far to walk around, whether you want to enter the library or exit it. Sure, it may take a couple more minutes, depending where you're going, but it's not a huge trek.

I had one student ask me the other day if I would unlock the door for him, because he had to see a teacher (I think) and then go to some sports training, so he was in a rush. Basic gist:
Student: "Miss, can you open that door for me? I need to see Sir in..."
Me: "No, sorry. You can walk around."
Student: "But Miss, I need to see Sir, then I've got xyz training [holds up boots]..."
Me: "No, sorry. If I open it for you then I have to open it for everyone, and there are a lot of people in this school."
Student: "But Miss, I'm in a rush. I've got xyz tonight and I need to get to [classroom upstairs] now, like, and it's long going the other way."
Me: "You know, standing here talking to me takes time... you could have been up there already by now."  :)
Cue student leaving by the usual door.

Don't get me wrong, he wasn't especially rude - his tone was polite and he did obviously realise that I didn't have to unlock the door. I've always had a policy of keeping that door locked, and not opening it for people. I'm nothing if not consistent. But there are other students who will stand outside and bang on the glass, or try and climb in an open window rather than walk all of 20 metres(? I'm estimating!) to get in the usual door. Or stand and argue with me about why I should unlock it for them and if they're late to see Sir/Miss then it's all my fault for having a "problem".  ::)
This sort of thing happens at least several times a week.

StarFaerie

« Reply #23724 on: October 05, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »

There are many different types of veganism and many different reasons to go vegan. Not all vegans are vegans due to the ethical implications, many are due to the health benefits and so are still very happy to use leather and manure. Others will use manure as it is a byproduct of the animal living and does not affect the animal to have it collected, and so fits into their ethical viewpoint.

The women asked your husband for mushrooms, not his opinion of their veganism. I think he was quite rude to argue with them about it and to judge them on whether their view of veganism is the right one.

andi

« Reply #23725 on: October 05, 2013, 06:23:55 PM »
I get your point, but I think it was a matter of having to be there and see their overall attitude - many people dont know how certain things are grown or produced and initially he wanted to let them know so they could make an informed decision (because definitely not everyone is the same)   He's usaly thanked for the info then people make their  own choice (as should be).  Fuses girls were jst - beyond that

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23726 on: October 05, 2013, 06:29:54 PM »
At work today, I walked past a woman with a carseat in her shopping cart. I could hear a newborn crying, but there wasn't a baby in the carseat. Right past her was a man with his hands shoved under a not very tall shelf. He had the crying baby shoved in there and was changing it's diaper  :o I reported them to a nearby store employee (since I'm only considered a vendor). It's especially ridiculous since our store has one family restroom, two women's restrooms and two men's restrooms. All with changing tables, too. And the bathrooms were not closed, because I'd just walked out of one.  ::)

Rohanna

« Reply #23727 on: October 05, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »
I must say I've changed babies a lot of strange places but that is somehow that I've neither seen or had occur to me..... :o
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23728 on: October 05, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
You know our next question:  Did he leave the soiled diaper on the shelf?  :-\

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23729 on: October 05, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »

There are many different types of veganism and many different reasons to go vegan. Not all vegans are vegans due to the ethical implications, many are due to the health benefits and so are still very happy to use leather and manure. Others will use manure as it is a byproduct of the animal living and does not affect the animal to have it collected, and so fits into their ethical viewpoint.

The women asked your husband for mushrooms, not his opinion of their veganism. I think he was quite rude to argue with them about it and to judge them on whether their view of veganism is the right one.

I thought vegans use zero animal products, otherwise they are some form of vegetarians.  I'm not arguing, it's just what I always thought.  Perhaps I need to research more.

Anyway, from the way the girls acted, they are still rude SS.  If they know what they are talking about, it's easy to say "Thanks for the information, but it's fine.  I still want the mushrooms."