News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 30, 2015, 08:11:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6733416 times)

faithlessone

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23730 on: October 06, 2013, 05:57:03 AM »
Bridezilla
http://www.glamour.com/weddings/blogs/save-the-date/2013/10/todays-batsht-crazy-bride-does.html

Goodness, I just want to shake all the brides who think this way. Have a wedding YOU CAN AFFORD. If you need your guests to pay for the wedding, you've spent too much money.

And anyone who calls out their guests for "coming for free" should be consigned to a very Special area of eHell.

Jones

« Reply #23731 on: October 06, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
There is a thread on that very exchange going on right now. It's sad that the guest had already attended the wedding, and therefore couldn't simply bow out when finding out about the monetary "requirement".
“A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems.” CS Lewis

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #23732 on: October 06, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »
I like this grandma, she handled the situation well, and I hope the man learned something!

http://notalwaysright.com/capable-of-handicapping-the-capable/32138
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23733 on: October 06, 2013, 03:59:24 PM »
Where is the wedding thread?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Editeer

« Reply #23734 on: October 06, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #23735 on: October 06, 2013, 07:06:01 PM »
I like this grandma, she handled the situation well, and I hope the man learned something!

I just saw that one. thought it was great how she handled it.

squeakers

« Reply #23736 on: October 06, 2013, 10:13:58 PM »

No handicapped plate/ placard ? Grandma should have turned him in.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Psychopoesie

« Reply #23737 on: October 06, 2013, 10:28:10 PM »

No handicapped plate/ placard ? Grandma should have turned him in.

It's a good story - go grandma! However, like a lot of the not always right ones, I do wonder about it.

The grandma had to park further away and walked with a cane yet managed to catch up with the young guy who stole her parking spot?

It is possible if he parked there to wait for someone, perhaps, that she would have caught up with him. Maybe he got out of the car to wait and that's when the grandma had a chance to talk with him.

Still, I'm suspicious of the ones that have storybook endings like this.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #23738 on: October 07, 2013, 01:05:38 AM »
Yeah, a lot of the entries on there sound entirely plausible except for the ". . . and then the manager banned them from the store forever!" or ". . . and then she got fired and I got a raise!" endings.  I'm guessing people have something genuinely site-worthy happen to them, but they're missing a resolution so they feel the need to add one.

perpetua

« Reply #23739 on: October 07, 2013, 02:10:30 AM »
Yeah, a lot of the entries on there sound entirely plausible except for the ". . . and then the manager banned them from the store forever!" or ". . . and then she got fired and I got a raise!" endings.  I'm guessing people have something genuinely site-worthy happen to them, but they're missing a resolution so they feel the need to add one.

Orrrr 'and then he turned as white as a sheet and ran out of the store'. Lots of people running out of stores on that site.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #23740 on: October 07, 2013, 02:25:22 AM »
Or, "and then the WhiteKnight customer gave me his number, and we've been dating for a year!"

Redsoil

« Reply #23741 on: October 07, 2013, 04:47:05 AM »
Or "the next person in line was an off-duty cop and he arrested them!" 

The whole site seems rife with egregious Mary-Sue-ism!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23742 on: October 07, 2013, 10:16:24 AM »
On my way to work I have to cross a bridge. After you exit the bridge you have two choices - go straight and into town and beyond, or take a right and enter the major roadway to go in the other two directions. Most people will want to enter the major roadway. This roadway entrance isn't set up so well - basically it is a giant circle. You want to go south then you take the right and merge, you want to go north you take the right, make sure noone who is currently going south wants to turn around/go onto the bridge/the city (they have the right of way to merge in front of you) then keep going and make a partial circuit and then merge into traffic. It's a pain and there are accidents on there many many times. I need to go south but I would rather take the extra five minutes of driving through town and merge at a better point then take that first right. On the other side of the road you have the option of going straight to cross the bridge or turning right to start on the the set of turns to go north or south - with north being the first right and south being the one halfway through the circle.

Today I am going straight and the person in front of me decides he wants to go north - so he makes a left hand turn across two lanes of traffic so he can use the other side's entrance ramp.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23743 on: October 07, 2013, 10:22:35 AM »
 :-\

From your description of the set up, I doubt seriously that this driver was a true Special Snowflake.  My guess is he was someone unfamiliar with this road and was just horribly confused. 

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23744 on: October 07, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »
:-\

From your description of the set up, I doubt seriously that this driver was a true Special Snowflake.  My guess is he was someone unfamiliar with this road and was just horribly confused.

There is no way he could possibly have thought that was a legal  move. He had to cross 2 lanes of traffic and a double yellow line to get into a lane that was veering away - it was obvious that lane was meant to be used only by the people coming the other way. If he had just kept going about 500 more feet he would have been able to make a u turn at a light.

It's confusing to describe and I am trying to find a picture but I can't. But trust me - what he did wasn't safe and he had no illusions that it could possibly be legal.