Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5290976 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23745 on: October 07, 2013, 02:05:38 AM »
Yeah, a lot of the entries on there sound entirely plausible except for the ". . . and then the manager banned them from the store forever!" or ". . . and then she got fired and I got a raise!" endings.  I'm guessing people have something genuinely site-worthy happen to them, but they're missing a resolution so they feel the need to add one.

perpetua

« Reply #23746 on: October 07, 2013, 03:10:30 AM »
Yeah, a lot of the entries on there sound entirely plausible except for the ". . . and then the manager banned them from the store forever!" or ". . . and then she got fired and I got a raise!" endings.  I'm guessing people have something genuinely site-worthy happen to them, but they're missing a resolution so they feel the need to add one.

Orrrr 'and then he turned as white as a sheet and ran out of the store'. Lots of people running out of stores on that site.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #23747 on: October 07, 2013, 03:25:22 AM »
Or, "and then the WhiteKnight customer gave me his number, and we've been dating for a year!"

Redsoil

« Reply #23748 on: October 07, 2013, 05:47:05 AM »
Or "the next person in line was an off-duty cop and he arrested them!" 

The whole site seems rife with egregious Mary-Sue-ism!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23749 on: October 07, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
On my way to work I have to cross a bridge. After you exit the bridge you have two choices - go straight and into town and beyond, or take a right and enter the major roadway to go in the other two directions. Most people will want to enter the major roadway. This roadway entrance isn't set up so well - basically it is a giant circle. You want to go south then you take the right and merge, you want to go north you take the right, make sure noone who is currently going south wants to turn around/go onto the bridge/the city (they have the right of way to merge in front of you) then keep going and make a partial circuit and then merge into traffic. It's a pain and there are accidents on there many many times. I need to go south but I would rather take the extra five minutes of driving through town and merge at a better point then take that first right. On the other side of the road you have the option of going straight to cross the bridge or turning right to start on the the set of turns to go north or south - with north being the first right and south being the one halfway through the circle.

Today I am going straight and the person in front of me decides he wants to go north - so he makes a left hand turn across two lanes of traffic so he can use the other side's entrance ramp.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23750 on: October 07, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »
 :-\

From your description of the set up, I doubt seriously that this driver was a true Special Snowflake.  My guess is he was someone unfamiliar with this road and was just horribly confused. 

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23751 on: October 07, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
:-\

From your description of the set up, I doubt seriously that this driver was a true Special Snowflake.  My guess is he was someone unfamiliar with this road and was just horribly confused.

There is no way he could possibly have thought that was a legal  move. He had to cross 2 lanes of traffic and a double yellow line to get into a lane that was veering away - it was obvious that lane was meant to be used only by the people coming the other way. If he had just kept going about 500 more feet he would have been able to make a u turn at a light.

It's confusing to describe and I am trying to find a picture but I can't. But trust me - what he did wasn't safe and he had no illusions that it could possibly be legal.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23752 on: October 07, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
Oh no!  I'm not defending him.  Yes, it should have been (and probably was) obvious to him that what he did was totally illegal!  I'm just saying I've confronted a few really weird intersections/ramps/etc. while driving in uncharted waters so to speak, and I know how trying to suddenly take in what seems like fifty different conflicting road signs or unexpected left side exit ramps can really mess you up!

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23753 on: October 07, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »
Here is a picture that might help.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=mid+hudson+bridge&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89dd3ddb1d7ddbf5:0xd0a81afab58c978,Mid-Hudson+Bridge,+U.S.+44,+Tollplaza+highland,+NY+12528-1725&gl=us&ei=UddSUqLiAsi6yAH4ioFQ&ved=0CI0BELYD

if you scroll to the right side of the bridge you see that there is what looks like an infinity sign. One curve is for each side - and the guy had the left onto was was clearly not intended to be accessed from our side of the bridge. And he had to be familiar with the area - he didn't stop or anything - just drove as normal and then made the left. There are no signs on our side of the road that indicate that road led to route 9 or anything. The only way he would have known it was the one he wanted is if he knew the area - in which case he would also have known he could turn around at the next light which wasn't that far ahead.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #23754 on: October 07, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »
Or, "and then the WhiteKnight customer gave me his number, and we've been dating for a year!"

Or "the next person in line was an off-duty cop and he arrested them!" 

The whole site seems rife with egregious Mary-Sue-ism!

Every time a story ends so perfectly, I immediately assume it's been embellished.

I must confess that in my own submission to notalwaysworking.com I was also "rescued" by another customer, however I promise she was not an off-duty cop, the CEO in disguise nor are we now dating.

http://notalwaysworking.com/this-worker-is-a-real-headache/31489

Shalamar

« Reply #23755 on: October 07, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
That was you?   You poor thing!   :(

cutejellybeen

« Reply #23756 on: October 07, 2013, 02:44:55 PM »

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=mid+hudson+bridge&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89dd3ddb1d7ddbf5:0xd0a81afab58c978,Mid-Hudson+Bridge,+U.S.+44,+Tollplaza+highland,+NY+12528-1725&gl=us&ei=UddSUqLiAsi6yAH4ioFQ&ved=0CI0BELYD

if you scroll to the right side of the bridge you see that there is what looks like an infinity sign. One curve is for each side - and the guy had the left onto was was clearly not intended to be accessed from our side of the bridge. And he had to be familiar with the area - he didn't stop or anything - just drove as normal and then made the left. There are no signs on our side of the road that indicate that road led to route 9 or anything. The only way he would have known it was the one he wanted is if he knew the area - in which case he would also have known he could turn around at the next light which wasn't that far ahead.

That looks terrifying to drive if you dont know what you are doing!

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23757 on: October 07, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »

That looks terrifying to drive if you dont know what you are doing!

that is one of the reasons that I usually take the side streets to merge at a different point! It's not that bad but you really have to pay attention - the biggest accident is rear enders since you have people merging into and out of the same spot. I don't know if you can see it well on that map but on route 9 there is also a second merge from the city at that spot - so on one direction you have people who are trying to circle around to the right direction, people trying to merge into the lane so they can go onto the bridge/change directions and people who are coming from the train station trying to merge really quickly so they can go over two lanes and go onto the bridge/change directions. People grumble about it but on one side is a train track and on the other side is the city - some of which is historical - so there aren't many options for changing it. Maybe one day someone will figure out a way to do it. Until then I take an extra 5 minutes and avoid as much as I can.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #23758 on: October 07, 2013, 02:53:29 PM »
You can tell I am from Coventry england, I thought it looked very efficient lol

The Coventry ring road is notorious as being very very scary. It's totally not though  ;D
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

mmswm

« Reply #23759 on: October 07, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »
SS Road signs don't apply to me:

Coming out of the grocery store parking lot there's a sign that says "right turn only".  It's basically impossible to make that left turn, which is why they made it that way.  Idiot decides to try anyway. He waits, and waits and waits for the break that won't happen until about 2am (10 hours from when I was at the store...seriously, the way the lights on either side of the shopping center are time, there's never a break large enough to make a left unless it's in the middle of the night, and sometimes that's debatable.) So, I wait.  the guy in front of me honks his horn.  The 5-7 people behind me honk their horns.  Then the fire truck pulls up, throws on his sirens and blows his air horn until the guy finally figures out he needs to make a right and get out of the way.  I have no idea if they were actually on a call, or they just wanted the guy to move, but I've never been so happy to be deafened by the horn and sirens on a fire truck.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)