Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5755553 times)

shadowfox79

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23760 on: October 08, 2013, 02:57:03 AM »
I'm prepared to believe some of the miraculous "off-duty cop" stories on Not Always Right, but yeah - they do happen a little too often.

The main reason I give them the benefit of the doubt is the story I was told by the woman at the local wine shop, whose husband is a paratrooper.

Dealing with a customer alone in the shop at the end of the day, she was horrified when he suddenly pulled a gun. Before anything could happen, her husband came through the door, saw what was happening and chopped the guy on the back of the head. The man hit the floor and promptly had a seizure, which gave them time to call the police.

Not exactly off-duty, but in the right place at the right time.

mmswm

« Reply #23761 on: October 08, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »
Another thing to consider is the sheer number of submissions they get.  I'd be willing to bet they get at least 100 submissions for every one they post.  I've seen enough cops intervene in situations around here (though not quite to the level in some of these stories), that I can believe that it does happen, and the site owners just really like that type of story so they print those more often than some of the others.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

emwithme

« Reply #23762 on: October 08, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
You can tell I am from Coventry england, I thought it looked very efficient lol

The Coventry ring road is notorious as being very very scary. It's totally not though  ;D

*waves at fellow Coventrian* (although I now live in the SW, I grew up in Cov)

It so isn't, is it.  As long as you know to follow the signs, and stay in the right hand lane if you're not merging off or on...unless you're at the Foleshill Road/Old Ambulance station exit going anti-clockwise where you randomly need to be in the left lane.

I've quite frequently said that learning to drive in Coventry (and on my third ever driving lesson having to turn right onto Warwick Road just after 4 pm and then onto the ring road) means I can drive ANYWHERE.

Carotte

« Reply #23763 on: October 08, 2013, 10:32:34 AM »
Another thing to consider is the sheer number of submissions they get.  I'd be willing to bet they get at least 100 submissions for every one they post.  I've seen enough cops intervene in situations around here (though not quite to the level in some of these stories), that I can believe that it does happen, and the site owners just really like that type of story so they print those more often than some of the others.

You also have to consider that someone who got 'rescued' or compensated from a retail situation like that is more likely to go and post it. So you get 10 Notalwaysright post for every 10 000 situation where another customer or the clerk was a bit rude but it didn't warrant being posted, maybe 100 of those where sent to n-a-r, but they had to choose and only the 10 best got to the top.

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #23764 on: October 08, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
I am dealing with a SS parent right now at work.  Mom wants her child to only use the bathroom in my office "because it is private" and her child has IBS.  1.) we have no medical diagnosis, no documentation to confirm, Mom will not provide, will not tell us name of provider and will not sign a release of information  2.) Child is in a portable classroom - with a bathroom and 3.) Child would have to have swipe card to enter building, pass at least 3 "private" bathrooms and 2 multi stall bathrooms and travel the entire length of the building to use my bathroom.  I have tried to explain the logistics to Mom but to no avail.  We have attempted to make arrangements, Child can use classroom bathroom or swipe card and use next closest bathroom - which is a single bathroom (not a multi stall publice bathroom).  Mom is having none of that.  It *has* to be *this* bathroom.  Child could not care less and has been happily using classroom bathroom for over a month with no ill effects.  Mom has requested a meeting with Administration.  I have not once denied this child use of my bathroom and if she shows up here she uses it but she is content using facilities in her room and rarely comes down here.  Mom sends in long letters about how "disappointed" she is that her child is "subjected" to using the other bathrooms and how her child "deserves" the use of my bathroom.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #23765 on: October 08, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »
Oh my, the helicopter parent saga begins...

Today it's the bathroom, you have to wonder what in heaven's name will it be later?  ::)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #23766 on: October 08, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »
Remember the gentle brontosaurus article from way back?  I just had a teen try it on me, I think, though I am sure he didn't KNOW that was what he was doing.

We sell earbuds for a dollar for patrons to use on the computers so their love of the loud and shriek will not disturb others around them.  (Mostly that's just us librarians who can't hear ourselves think otherwise.)  Keep in mind, these are cheap-o ear buds.  One dollar.  If I understood my supervisor correctly, we don't even sell these at cost, we sell them below.  These also go in your ears.  Once you have used them, I am pretty sure no one else wants them.  I know *I* don't.

And yet.....a young man wanted us to let him borrow headphones.  I smiled gently and said we don't loan headphones, we sell earbuds.  No, he said, I want the headphones.  Sorry, I said, we don't have headphones.  We sell earbuds.

I just want to borrow them.

You can't just borrow them, they cost a dollar and you get to keep them forever.

I want to borrow headphones.

We. Don't. Have. Headphones.

And then....he stood at my desk.  And continued to stare at me.  And stare.\

Because, you know, that will magically cause headphones to grow in the drawer and I will open the drawer and---whoosh!--they will shoot out just like a beanstalk.

Except that didn't happen, of course and he finally walked away calling me a name under his breath.  Because, you know, I'm a mean hater. 

And while I am feeling crabby.....to access the computer, you type your library card number in where the screen says "patron".  Why does each and every patron point to their library card number (a series of twelve numbers) and ask me "Which one of these numbers do I type in?"    OR they point to the front of the card, where the library's street address is indicated and as if the street number is what they type in. 

I realize not everyone understands the concept, that if you are from another country, you are going to have trouble, but we are talking about literate adults who were raised speaking English. 

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #23767 on: October 08, 2013, 03:00:29 PM »
And Child has said "Mom, I don't care.  A toilet is a toilet"
But Mom barrels on...
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Yarnspinner

« Reply #23768 on: October 09, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
Yesterday was a day of snowflakes.  I had a guy who wanted me to open up "the other public bathroom" for him.  I said there was only one men's public bathroom and it was downstairs.  "No, the OTHER public bathroom." 

Now, it's true that there is, in fact, another bathroom on our floor which is staff only.  I have been known to allow the occasional toddler, doing the pee-pee dance in when I realized he would never make it to the children's bathroom in time.  But that's pretty much it.  There is also a handicapped restroom on the third floor (I don't understand why it's on the third floor, either) which we allow general public to use only if the downstairs bathrooms are not working.

This guy was adamant.  "I am asking to use the public restroom."

"You don't have to ask.  It is downstairs."

"You don't understand.  I want to use the public restroom on this floor."

"There is no other public restroom but the one on the first floor."

After a few minutes of back and forth, his true priorities were divulged  "There are two other men waiting and I do not want to wait.  Now let me in the other public bathroom."

I suggested that since he had been arguing for five minutes the other two men were probably gone and he could now use the only public bathroom available to him.

He walked away from me muttering under his breath. 

Roodabega

« Reply #23769 on: October 09, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »
I'd like to nominate two for SS status during my morning commute.  SS number one for getting into the left lane, and then staying there forever.  Sure you were going a couple of miles an hour above the speed limit, but you had a long line of cars behind you.  You were only going a couple of miles/hour faster than the people in the right lane, and some times you were just matching their speeds until they had to slow down for traffic in their lane.  You had many opportunities to get back in the right lane, and didn't.

SS number two was one of the cars following you (not me btw :p ).  A group of cars finally decided they had waited long enough.  I was in the right hand lane a little behind you and coming up on slower traffic.  Three cars decided to cut over into the right lane to pass you just in front of me.  SS number two (vehicle number three in the group) almost ran into the car in the right lane, and then cut you off when he zoomed into the left lane almost hitting you.

Seriously people, get the *&*&& out of the left lane and also don't cut people off because you are ticked.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23770 on: October 09, 2013, 01:32:56 PM »
Roodabega wrote:

"SS number one for getting into the left lane, and then staying there forever.  Sure you were going a couple of miles an hour above the speed limit, but you had a long line of cars behind you.  You were only going a couple of miles/hour faster than the people in the right lane, and some times you were just matching their speeds until they had to slow down for traffic in their lane.  You had many opportunities to get back in the right lane, and didn't."

I can't really get behind (heh heh) this one.  If he was in the left lane, going faster than the posted limit and overtaking cars reasonably regularly, then he wasn't an SS.  Maybe inattentive, maybe not, but not rude.  My take is that, if someone is doing something that's legal and your irritation is because he's preventing you from doing something illegal, then it should serve as a moment of introspection.  I know all about the arguments about driving in the left lane and holding up traffic, but you yourself said that he was going above the limit and that he was passing cars in the right lane whenever the right lane piled up.  What would be his motivation to get stuck in traffic because the cars behind him wanted to go even faster than the "too fast" that he was going?

Virg

Roodabega

« Reply #23771 on: October 09, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »
Roodabega wrote:

"SS number one for getting into the left lane, and then staying there forever.  Sure you were going a couple of miles an hour above the speed limit, but you had a long line of cars behind you.  You were only going a couple of miles/hour faster than the people in the right lane, and some times you were just matching their speeds until they had to slow down for traffic in their lane.  You had many opportunities to get back in the right lane, and didn't."

I can't really get behind (heh heh) this one.  If he was in the left lane, going faster than the posted limit and overtaking cars reasonably regularly, then he wasn't an SS.  Maybe inattentive, maybe not, but not rude.  My take is that, if someone is doing something that's legal and your irritation is because he's preventing you from doing something illegal, then it should serve as a moment of introspection.  I know all about the arguments about driving in the left lane and holding up traffic, but you yourself said that he was going above the limit and that he was passing cars in the right lane whenever the right lane piled up.  What would be his motivation to get stuck in traffic because the cars behind him wanted to go even faster than the "too fast" that he was going?

Virg

He was in the left lane for miles (at least 10 minutes).  Going 2-3 miles per hour faster than people you are passing takes forever.  And the truth about the left lane on major highways is that people go above the speed limit.  And then there's always the pesky law that says use the left lane for passing only.  I would think that should have been his motivation.  I was traveling on the same road, and I passed when needed and then got back into the right lane so people could pass me.   He never got out of the left lane even when the right lane was clear.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #23772 on: October 09, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »
I think the laws about speeding are just made so that police can pull over whoever they feel like.  You're not allowed to drive in the left lane unless you are *exceeding* the speed limit by 10 mph?  Whatever happened to it being the speed LIMIT, as in the highest speed you're supposedly allowed to drive on that road?  So the police officer is allowed to pull you over and give you a ticket for obstructing traffic.  But of course, if you *are* driving 10mph over the speed limit and you get pulled over, the officer is perfectly justified in giving you a ticket for speeding.  It basically makes it impossible to follow the law, so that police get discretion to ticket people at will.  The speed limits should be removed or raised to an actual, reasonable speed limit, in which the left lane is going *close to* the limit (but not over), the right lane is driving about 5-10 mph slower, and you get ticketed for speeding.  This is just ridiculous.  And yes, I'm a bit bitter about it ever since my husband went through an area of road construction that cautioned "Road Construction: 45mph limit SPEEDING ENFORCED" and then got ticketed because he was going exactly 45mph and he got ticketed for obstructing traffic by going too slow.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23773 on: October 09, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »
There was a SS driver in the left lane this morning, traveling slower than the speed limit, and leaving more than 100 yards (yes, yards!) in between them and the car in front of them. They finally got over in the right lane, and I passed SS driver safely, then got in front of their car with plenty of distance. SS driver started speeding up, making hand gestures, flashing their headlights and pounding their steering wheel. Not okay.

Also this morning, I was in the left lane, traveling at reasonable speed. There was a car in front of me and suddenly a very large pickup truck comes up behind me at high speed. I honestly wondered if the driver would brake in time to keep from hitting me. He passed me and got off on the next exit, less than 1/4 mile from coming so close to my car. Not okay.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23774 on: October 09, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
Roodabega wrote:

"He never got out of the left lane even when the right lane was clear."

Since this is illegal it changes the story significantly, but this part wasn't in your original post.  Your initial post boiled down to being irritated that he wasn't speeding by a large enough margin.

Virg