Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5648898 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23775 on: October 09, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
Also, the "left lane is for passing" is only in certain areas and on certain roads. Not the case in my state.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23776 on: October 09, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »
... my husband went through an area of road construction that cautioned "Road Construction: 45mph limit SPEEDING ENFORCED" and then got ticketed because he was going exactly 45mph and he got ticketed for obstructing traffic by going too slow.

I'd be fighting that ticket in court.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sebastienne

« Reply #23777 on: October 09, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
I get it. When I'm road-tripping, one of the worst things to hit on a 4-lane highway is a truck in the left lane slooowly passing a long line of other trucks in the right lane. Left-lane truck is passing, true, and he will usually get over when he's done. But he's almost always going maybe two miles an hour faster than the right lane, so it takes 10 minutes, and it creates a huge mess of cars either stuck in the right lane or trailing behind Mr. Truck in the left.

It's especially terrible on roads where the truck speed limit is lower than the car speed limit. Drives me crazy.

wildkitty

« Reply #23778 on: October 09, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
I'd like to nominate two for SS status during my morning commute.  SS number one for getting into the left lane, and then staying there forever.  Sure you were going a couple of miles an hour above the speed limit, but you had a long line of cars behind you.  You were only going a couple of miles/hour faster than the people in the right lane, and some times you were just matching their speeds until they had to slow down for traffic in their lane.  You had many opportunities to get back in the right lane, and didn't.

Looks to me like that info was in the original post.

weeblewobble

« Reply #23779 on: October 09, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »
I would like to nominate the people we came into contact with on our vacation over the weekend. 

At the amusement park:

-My family and I stood in line for about 15 minutes to buy bottled drinks in a concession stand. My mom was standing behind us with her purchase.  A little girl about 8-9 walked up the counter, in front of my mom, and plopped her purchase in front of the cashier. The cashier very politely told her that she needed to go to the back of the line.  The girl said, No, she didn't want to wait.  The cashier went back to waiting on my mom, but the girl kept nudging in front of my mom, trying to put her drink in the cashier's hand to be scanned, and at one point took my mom's money out of the cashier's hand, put it on the counter and handed the cashier her money. Mom told her, "Step away and do not touch my money again." in a very firm voice, and the girl started to stomp and cry.  Mom finished her transaction and walked away as quickly as possible before the girl's angry looking mother could make it to the counter.

-The boys (8-10) at the water park who repeatedly shoved the little kids out of the way while they were lining up for the slide on the sprayground. My son (5) was pushed aside several times and my daughter (9) went up to the slide platform and told them to cut it out and let the little kids play.  They called her filthy names. A lifeguard told the boys and their mom that they would be sent out of the park if they didn't behave. The mom then turned her wrath on the lifeguard.  I took my kids to a different area of the park so I'm not sure how it resolved.

-The couple at the Christmas decoration store who had two dogs in a stroller and another dog in a big square pet carrier.  The store was very crowded with merchandise and Christmas trees and it was very difficult to get around.  The dog couple parked their stroller in the middle of a pathway in the store and refused to move, effectively trapping my mom and I in a corner, until they found just the right ornament that matched their youngest dog perfectly.  We asked them politely to let us by and they snapped, "Just a minute!" Repeated requests for them to let us by caught the attention of an employee, who reminded them of the "no pets" sign on the store entrance.  The couple snapped at the employee that these weren't dogs, they were their babies.  Again, we left before the situation was resolved.

Roodabega

« Reply #23780 on: October 09, 2013, 02:51:12 PM »
Roodabega wrote:

"He never got out of the left lane even when the right lane was clear."

Since this is illegal it changes the story significantly, but this part wasn't in your original post.  Your initial post boiled down to being irritated that he wasn't speeding by a large enough margin.

Virg

Actually, in my original post, I said "You had many opportunities to get back in the right lane, and didn't."
My clarification was to the amount of time he spent in the left lane with traffic behind him and refused to move into right lane.  Maybe the sentence wasn't clear but I was trying to avoid a novel.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23781 on: October 09, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
I would like to nominate the people we came into contact with on our vacation over the weekend. 

At the amusement park:

-My family and I stood in line for about 15 minutes to buy bottled drinks in a concession stand. My mom was standing behind us with her purchase.  A little girl about 8-9 walked up the counter, in front of my mom, and plopped her purchase in front of the cashier. The cashier very politely told her that she needed to go to the back of the line.  The girl said, No, she didn't want to wait.  The cashier went back to waiting on my mom, but the girl kept nudging in front of my mom, trying to put her drink in the cashier's hand to be scanned, and at one point took my mom's money out of the cashier's hand, put it on the counter and handed the cashier her money. Mom told her, "Step away and do not touch my money again." in a very firm voice, and the girl started to stomp and cry.  Mom finished her transaction and walked away as quickly as possible before the girl's angry looking mother could make it to the counter.

Reminds me of the little snowflakes that come to my sample cart
"Can I have a cup of coffee ?"
"Sorry, I can only give hot coffee to adults."
"But my mom lets me drink coffee."
"Sorry, it's the store rules. We can't give hot coffee to kids. I can only give one to your parents."
"But my mom said I could come and take a coffee. My mom is in the ice cream aisle and she lets me drink coffee all the time."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #23782 on: October 09, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »
-The couple at the Christmas decoration store who had two dogs in a stroller and another dog in a big square pet carrier.  The store was very crowded with merchandise and Christmas trees and it was very difficult to get around.  The dog couple parked their stroller in the middle of a pathway in the store and refused to move, effectively trapping my mom and I in a corner, until they found just the right ornament that matched their youngest dog perfectly.  We asked them politely to let us by and they snapped, "Just a minute!" Repeated requests for them to let us by caught the attention of an employee, who reminded them of the "no pets" sign on the store entrance.  The couple snapped at the employee that these weren't dogs, they were their babies.  Again, we left before the situation was resolved.

SnarkyDiane:  Yes, and the family resemblance is uncanny.

mmswm

« Reply #23783 on: October 09, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »

SnarkyDiane:  Yes, and the family resemblance is uncanny.

I think SnarkyDiane won the internet for the day. I love it!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

andi

« Reply #23784 on: October 09, 2013, 08:21:17 PM »
SS mom at Boo's baseball game :

The weather tuned from summer to winter Saturday morning, low 90's on Friday to low 50's, raining and WINDY on Saturday morning.  We were late starting the game, late finishing and all miserably cold by the end.  I'd brought some extra pieces of warm outerwear and had passed them out to some moms that were not dressed as warmly and lived too far away to go back home

Just before the game was over my hubby came by the stands and muttered something to me but I couldn't hear him. Next thing I know one of the moms comes up behind me and tells me "my feet were cold and wet, so when I was in the dugout I went through some bags and found socks in your child's bag and took them.  I only stretched them out a little bit and I'll bring them back next week"

I went into shock! My brain shut down and I could not think up one thing to say that would not get me thrown out of a child's baseball game. Seriously - who does that?!

1) parent's have been repeatedly asked NOT to go into the dugout during the game, there's not enough room, it bugs the coaches and it messes with the kid
2) you went through other people's bags without permission?  I don't are if they're "just kids" - you have no right to go through anyone's stuff
3) you TOOK items out of someone's bad without asking and wore them!!  Hmmm - where I come from we call that stealing.
4) you came over to tell me this after the fact as if this is normal!  On what planet is that normal?

The kicker is, if she had been in the dugout (where we're not supposed to be anyway), saw the socks laying on the top of my sons's bag and cMe over and ASKED me if she could borrow them, I'd have said "sure". But she dug through his bag without permission and just took them!!!!

Later I thigh of several great things to say - but right then I was just in shock.  (and she did not bring them back to the next game)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:24:22 PM by andi »

MissRose

« Reply #23785 on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:47 AM »
This morning, I was pulling into my favorite gas station to get gas and my morning caffeine fix.  As there were a lot more people than normal, it took a bit for me to be able to pull up to a pump as the place is prepay only - I had to wait patiently.   On my left side, a woman pulls in driving a mini van, and goes around the line, she was on a cell phone talking - driving with 1 hand and holding the phone with the other.  How she did not manage to drive into others or even the building is beyond me. 

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #23786 on: October 10, 2013, 09:17:59 AM »
SS mom at Boo's baseball game :

The weather tuned from summer to winter Saturday morning, low 90's on Friday to low 50's, raining and WINDY on Saturday morning.  We were late starting the game, late finishing and all miserably cold by the end.  I'd brought some extra pieces of warm outerwear and had passed them out to some moms that were not dressed as warmly and lived too far away to go back home

Just before the game was over my hubby came by the stands and muttered something to me but I couldn't hear him. Next thing I know one of the moms comes up behind me and tells me "my feet were cold and wet, so when I was in the dugout I went through some bags and found socks in your child's bag and took them.  I only stretched them out a little bit and I'll bring them back next week"

I went into shock! My brain shut down and I could not think up one thing to say that would not get me thrown out of a child's baseball game. Seriously - who does that?!

1) parent's have been repeatedly asked NOT to go into the dugout during the game, there's not enough room, it bugs the coaches and it messes with the kid
2) you went through other people's bags without permission?  I don't are if they're "just kids" - you have no right to go through anyone's stuff
3) you TOOK items out of someone's bad without asking and wore them!!  Hmmm - where I come from we call that stealing.
4) you came over to tell me this after the fact as if this is normal!  On what planet is that normal?

The kicker is, if she had been in the dugout (where we're not supposed to be anyway), saw the socks laying on the top of my sons's bag and cMe over and ASKED me if she could borrow them, I'd have said "sure". But she dug through his bag without permission and just took them!!!!

Later I thigh of several great things to say - but right then I was just in shock.  (and she did not bring them back to the next game)

Well, at least that lady doesn't have to worry about cold wet feet anymore. She'll be nice and toasty in etiquette hell! Really, the nerve!

Firecat

« Reply #23787 on: October 10, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »

At the amusement park:

Reminds me of the little snowflakes that come to my sample cart
"Can I have a cup of coffee ?"
"Sorry, I can only give hot coffee to adults."
"But my mom lets me drink coffee."
"Sorry, it's the store rules. We can't give hot coffee to kids. I can only give one to your parents."
"But my mom said I could come and take a coffee. My mom is in the ice cream aisle and she lets me drink coffee all the time."

This reminds me of one I had to deal with earlier this year at the science fiction convention DH and I help run. I suppose he was 13 or so? And to his credit, he was volunteering at the time, so he does get points for that.

But the part that was making me want to muzzle him was that he kept whining about two things for pretty much the entire 90 minutes.

The first was that he wanted to play in a certain game in the LAN Gaming area, but wouldn't be able to because that particular session was during the adults only hours. (This was not due to the content of the game, but the convention designates about three hours a night as adult only time in that area, mostly to give the adults a chance to play, as otherwise it tends to be dominated by kids and teens.)

The second was that there is a card game called "Cards Against Humanity." (NOTE: This game is VERY, VERY NSFW. Do NOT Google it at work, or if you do, don't blame me!  ;D) Game play is similar to "Apples to Apples," but the content of the cards is really, really not for kids. A couple of the rooms for Gaming are, again, adults only after a certain time of night (not all of the rooms, but some of them) and this game was being played in one of those adults-only rooms. Anyway, the kid in question was going on and on and ON about how his parents wouldn't care, would totally allow him to play the game, etc. My response was that his parents could make whatever rules they wanted at home; the convention could also make and enforce rules. After that, I pretty much tuned him out, but it was still annoying.

Luckily I could and did get up and walk the floor once in awhile and get away from where he was volunteering for a few minutes...especially when I caught myself eying the roll of duct tape speculatively...

Snooks

« Reply #23788 on: October 10, 2013, 04:23:15 PM »
This morning, I was pulling into my favorite gas station to get gas and my morning caffeine fix.  As there were a lot more people than normal, it took a bit for me to be able to pull up to a pump as the place is prepay only - I had to wait patiently.   On my left side, a woman pulls in driving a mini van, and goes around the line, she was on a cell phone talking - driving with 1 hand and holding the phone with the other.  How she did not manage to drive into others or even the building is beyond me.

Because I bet she drives like that all the time.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #23789 on: October 10, 2013, 10:24:35 PM »
I am telling on myself as a special snowflake today.

My wife bought some Egyptian cotton sheets a few years ago.  She assures me that they become more comfortable the more you use them.

I hate them.  They feel like sleeping on 120 grit sandpaper while you are slowly sliding downhill.  It's not relaxing.  I toss and turn all night long.

I try, however, to remember that sometime in the future they will become as comfortable as other sheets are right after you buy them and that in order for that to happen we have to use them.

This morning, I was trying to say: "Oh, are those the Egyptian cotton sheets on the bed?"

Unfortunately, what came out was: "Oh, are those the sheets that might get comfortable in a few more years?"  I blame the lack of sleep and coffee.