Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5535963 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23790 on: October 10, 2013, 10:45:02 PM »
I don't care about where the cotton came from, I care about the thread count. You can get 100 count Egyptian cotton sheets. 

I'm a big fan of microfiber sheets and I just found some comfy jersey sheets at HomeGoods. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23791 on: October 10, 2013, 11:21:43 PM »
I don't care about where the cotton came from, I care about the thread count. You can get 100 count Egyptian cotton sheets. 

I'm a big fan of microfiber sheets and I just found some comfy jersey sheets at HomeGoods.

Oh, jersey sheets are awesome! Like sleeping wrapped up in an old, comfy t-shirt.

Iris

« Reply #23792 on: October 11, 2013, 01:42:27 AM »
I am telling on myself as a special snowflake today.

My wife bought some Egyptian cotton sheets a few years ago.  She assures me that they become more comfortable the more you use them.

I hate them.  They feel like sleeping on 120 grit sandpaper while you are slowly sliding downhill.  It's not relaxing.  I toss and turn all night long.

I try, however, to remember that sometime in the future they will become as comfortable as other sheets are right after you buy them and that in order for that to happen we have to use them.

This morning, I was trying to say: "Oh, are those the Egyptian cotton sheets on the bed?"

Unfortunately, what came out was: "Oh, are those the sheets that might get comfortable in a few more years?"  I blame the lack of sleep and coffee.

I don't think you're being a special snowflake. I love nice sheets and there's no way I'd put up with bad ones for years without saying anything. You may want to work on your early morning tact, though  :D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #23793 on: October 11, 2013, 01:47:44 AM »

My wife bought some Egyptian cotton sheets a few years ago.  She assures me that they become more comfortable the more you use them.

I hate them.  They feel like sleeping on 120 grit sandpaper while you are slowly sliding downhill.  It's not relaxing.  I toss and turn all night long.

I try, however, to remember that sometime in the future they will become as comfortable as other sheets are right after you buy them and that in order for that to happen we have to use them.

This morning, I was trying to say: "Oh, are those the Egyptian cotton sheets on the bed?"

Unfortunately, what came out was: "Oh, are those the sheets that might get comfortable in a few more years?"  I blame the lack of sleep and coffee.

This sounds like a Dave Barry story  ;D

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #23794 on: October 11, 2013, 04:30:16 AM »

Can I confess, I did much the same? My husband was not happy, since he bought them. I gave up and threw them in the wash at 90 degrees and prolonged tumble-dry about three times in sucession before they became useable. Then I put them on the guest bed.

wildkitty

« Reply #23795 on: October 11, 2013, 08:10:21 AM »
Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the comfort of Ralph Lauren SuPima cotton sheets. They are fantastic! Pricy, but I think they're worth every penny.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #23796 on: October 11, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »
I nominate the people who came to look at our house last night. please tell me if you think I am being over sensitive because I was instantly annoyed by them. I think its rude for them to walk in to my home without knocking.

We rent and are moving, so perspective new tenants came round at about 5.

The first people to come were nice and while they were upstairs with the estate agent (EA) in walks SS family of 5.

Now I say walks in because they did not knock. I know this because I was stood by the front door for a good 10 Mins before  they let them selves in, they were early  as well. (in my experience of renting in the UK you wait out side for the EA to come let you in. You don't even knock until the EA is there.)
When they saw me they told me they were here for a viewing and then stood expectantly.
I explained that EA was upstairs and they could come in (although they already were.) and they come in to the living room so I give a quick run down of what comes with the house etc.

They had two kids with them of maybe 9-10 and the boy immediately starts fiddling with everything he sees.
He ask if he can go upstairs even though the adults were not finished looking round down stairs (the only reason he asked was there was a baby gate and he was clearly trying to open it before he asked) I said he needed to wait for the other people to finish upstairs and then EA would show them round. He plays with ornaments and anything within reach Including trying to unscrew a bolt from one of the baby gates. I asked him not to do that in the hope one of the adults would take note and tell him not to touch.

When EA finally takes them upstairs I can hear the rocking chair go like the clappers (when I go up a lot of Boos toys have been messed with).

Then on the way down stairs the little girl decides to rub and prod at an oil painting on the wall. I asked her not to touch the painting as she will damage it.

They then all stand and have a 20 minuet chat in my hall stopping me for leaving my living room and stopping me making dinner.

To top it off as they are leaving the boy is going through all Boo's toys and I ask him jokingly if he is staying with us because the adults  have left and he is still there.

aghh! They were treating it like a show home, but its not, it's still my home. With three adults you would think one of them could have kept half an eye on the kids and not let them paw over other peoples things.

Don't get me wrong I had put most brick-a-brack away but I should not have to put every single thing I own in to storage for what should be a five minuet walk round. Maybe this bit is just me but they were also opening all the cupboards under the stairs the kitchen cupboards and the airing cupboard as well.

had the kids been younger I wouldn't have a problem with them homing on and playing with Boos toys while they looked but they were old enough to know better, and even saying that the adults should have stopped them messing with ornaments and things that were clearly not toys. (this is stuff is out of reach of my 18MO and the only reason they could mess with it was because they were older) I mean who thinks it's ok to poke and prod a painting.

N.B they said they were from Ghana(I think thats what they said) so perhaps I am over reacting and it's just a cultural thing. 
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23797 on: October 11, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »

I don't think you're being a special snowflake. I love nice sheets and there's no way I'd put up with bad ones for years without saying anything. You may want to work on your early morning tact, though  :D

You are not a SS. I bought some about 8 years ago and was assured they would become softer. My first mistake was the thread count was too high because I found them heavy and hot.

I'd survive about 2 nights and then throw them in the wash and put something else on for a week and then put these back on. After about 40 washes, I still found them hot and scratchy. They are the most expensive set of linens I ever bought and are stuck somewhere in the back of my linen closet.

I have now learned that the only type of sheets I really like are Pima cotton in a sateen weave in a 300 - 600 thread count. It's taken me about 20 years to figure out why I couldn't find sheets as comfortable as those my mom had, but now I can.

mmswm

« Reply #23798 on: October 11, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »
I nominate the people who came to look at our house last night. please tell me if you think I am being over sensitive because I was instantly annoyed by them. I think its rude for them to walk in to my home without knocking.

The first people to come were nice and while they were upstairs with the estate agent (EA) in walks SS family of 5.

Now I say walks in because they did not knock. I know this because I was stood by the front door for a good 10 Mins before  they let them selves in, they were early  as well. (in my experience of renting in the UK you wait out side for the EA to come let you in. You don't even knock until the EA is there.)
When they saw me they told me they were here for a viewing and then stood expectantly.
I explained that EA was upstairs and they could come in (although they already were.) and they come in to the living room so I give a quick run down of what comes with the house etc.

They had two kids with them of maybe 9-10 and the boy immediately starts fiddling with everything he sees.
He ask if he can go upstairs even though the adults were not finished looking round down stairs (the only reason he asked was there was a baby gate and he was clearly trying to open it before he asked) I said he needed to wait for the other people to finish upstairs and then EA would show them round. He plays with ornaments and anything within reach Including trying to unscrew a bolt from one of the baby gates. I asked him not to do that in the hope one of the adults would take note and tell him not to touch.

When EA finally takes them upstairs I can hear the rocking chair go like the clappers (when I go up a lot of Boos toys have been messed with).

Then on the way down stairs the little girl decides to rub and prod at an oil painting on the wall. I asked her not to touch the painting as she will damage it.

They then all stand and have a 20 minuet chat in my hall stopping me for leaving my living room and stopping me making dinner.

To top it off as they are leaving the boy is going through all Boo's toys and I ask him jokingly if he is staying with us because the adults  have left and he is still there.

aghh! They were treating it like a show home, but its not, it's still my home. With three adults you would think one of them could have kept half an eye on the kids and not let them paw over other peoples things.

Don't get me wrong I had put most brick-a-brack away but I should not have to put every single thing I own in to storage for what should be a five minuet walk round. Maybe this bit is just me but they were also opening all the cupboards under the stairs the kitchen cupboards and the airing cupboard as well.

had the kids been younger I wouldn't have a problem with them homing on and playing with Boos toys while they looked but they were old enough to know better, and even saying that the adults should have stopped them messing with ornaments and things that were clearly not toys. (this is stuff is out of reach of my 18MO and the only reason they could mess with it was because they were older) I mean who thinks it's ok to poke and prod a painting.

N.B they said they were from Ghana(I think thats what they said) so perhaps I am over reacting and it's just a cultural thing.

I hate the "it's a cultural thing" excuse to attempt to explain away rudeness.  Some mistakes, yes.  Maybe they didn't realize that there was somebody still living there and they walked in, not understanding they should wait for the EA.  I could forgive that if they then proceed to either apologize and wait outside, or sit quietly in the living room and keep control of their kids. I'm pretty sure destroying other people's property is considered rude in any culture.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23799 on: October 11, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »
It's not cultural, just rude.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

magicdomino

« Reply #23800 on: October 11, 2013, 02:55:22 PM »
Looking in all the closets and built-in cabinets is normal in the U.S. -- it's how you figure out how much storage there is and will your own stuff fit.  Playing with the resident child's toys and messing with the decoration, however, is rude.  I'm sure it would be just as rude in Ghana.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #23801 on: October 11, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »
I don't like using culture as an excuse for rudeness but I wasn't sure if maybe it was something like "it takes a village" and they assume that if the kids were doing something we did not like, we would say something.

Although I should not give it another thought because even if they take the house, I will never see them again.

I just hate having people come looking at my house. It makes me feel like I am under a microscope.  :-[ it's why I thought I might be over reacting.

But thats why we are buying so (in theory) I never have to do this again.  ;D
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

doodlemor

« Reply #23802 on: October 11, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »

I don't think that you would have been at all rude if you had told the parents and the EA to make the children stop touching things and for the children to stay right beside the adults.  If the children still wandered you could have asked the parents to each hold one of them by the hand, or to carry them.  This is still your home, since you have paid the rent, and no one has the right to play with or touch your possessions.  If any more children are brought along I think that you are within your rights to politely tell them at the door that the children need to stay with their parents, and that they cannot touch things. 

As I reread the last sentence I think that it sounds a bit rude to assume that other children are also "touchers."  However, I still think that having the rules stated upfront would be beneficial.

You are kinder than I am - I wouldn't want little hands that are likely unclean to touch my child's toys.  After all, these are not social visits.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23803 on: October 11, 2013, 03:59:36 PM »
^^^  She says these kids were around nine or ten.  Those kids are too big to be carried, and shouldn't NEED to be held by the hand. 

I think she should just have said "Those are our personal possessions, not part of the house.  Please don't touch them."
I'm surprised your Realtor didn't tell the parents (gently) what behavior was acceptable for their children. 

It isn't unusual for people to look into closets and cabinets to see how roomy they are (or aren't).  I think that should be kind of expected.  That doesn't, however give people carte blanche to go through dresser drawers or other storage places that are not part of the house and that includes toy boxes or shelves with toys!

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #23804 on: October 11, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »
I'll admit when house-hunting that I felt VERY weird about opening people's closets/cupboards, even though the realtor said it was okay and expected. So I made my glance quick!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.