Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5393699 times)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23805 on: October 11, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »
I'll admit when house-hunting that I felt VERY weird about opening people's closets/cupboards, even though the realtor said it was okay and expected. So I made my glance quick!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #23806 on: October 11, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »
I'll admit when house-hunting that I felt VERY weird about opening people's closets/cupboards, even though the realtor said it was okay and expected. So I made my glance quick!
There's looking and there's looking . There's looking for space and looking to see what's in there. Most people do the former.

MrTango

« Reply #23807 on: October 11, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »
There's looking and there's looking . There's looking for space and looking to see what's in there. Most people do the former.

Personally, I don't think the latter is inappropriate (to a point).  If I were viewing a house that was still occupied, I might take note of the sorts of things that the sellers kept in a closet as a way of deciding where it might be convenient to store certain types of things.  I certainly wouldn't look closer than just a basic idea of what sort of things are in there: "towels", "linens", "laundry supplies", "shoes"

weeblewobble

« Reply #23808 on: October 11, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
I would like to nominate the people we came into contact with on our vacation over the weekend. 

At the amusement park:

-My family and I stood in line for about 15 minutes to buy bottled drinks in a concession stand. My mom was standing behind us with her purchase.  A little girl about 8-9 walked up the counter, in front of my mom, and plopped her purchase in front of the cashier. The cashier very politely told her that she needed to go to the back of the line.  The girl said, No, she didn't want to wait.  The cashier went back to waiting on my mom, but the girl kept nudging in front of my mom, trying to put her drink in the cashier's hand to be scanned, and at one point took my mom's money out of the cashier's hand, put it on the counter and handed the cashier her money. Mom told her, "Step away and do not touch my money again." in a very firm voice, and the girl started to stomp and cry.  Mom finished her transaction and walked away as quickly as possible before the girl's angry looking mother could make it to the counter.

Reminds me of the little snowflakes that come to my sample cart
"Can I have a cup of coffee ?"
"Sorry, I can only give hot coffee to adults."
"But my mom lets me drink coffee."
"Sorry, it's the store rules. We can't give hot coffee to kids. I can only give one to your parents."
"But my mom said I could come and take a coffee. My mom is in the ice cream aisle and she lets me drink coffee all the time."

This reminds me of one I had to deal with earlier this year at the science fiction convention DH and I help run. I suppose he was 13 or so? And to his credit, he was volunteering at the time, so he does get points for that.

But the part that was making me want to muzzle him was that he kept whining about two things for pretty much the entire 90 minutes.

The first was that he wanted to play in a certain game in the LAN Gaming area, but wouldn't be able to because that particular session was during the adults only hours. (This was not due to the content of the game, but the convention designates about three hours a night as adult only time in that area, mostly to give the adults a chance to play, as otherwise it tends to be dominated by kids and teens.)

The second was that there is a card game called "Cards Against Humanity." (NOTE: This game is VERY, VERY NSFW. Do NOT Google it at work, or if you do, don't blame me!  ;D) Game play is similar to "Apples to Apples," but the content of the cards is really, really not for kids. A couple of the rooms for Gaming are, again, adults only after a certain time of night (not all of the rooms, but some of them) and this game was being played in one of those adults-only rooms. Anyway, the kid in question was going on and on and ON about how his parents wouldn't care, would totally allow him to play the game, etc. My response was that his parents could make whatever rules they wanted at home; the convention could also make and enforce rules. After that, I pretty much tuned him out, but it was still annoying.

Luckily I could and did get up and walk the floor once in awhile and get away from where he was volunteering for a few minutes...especially when I caught myself eying the roll of duct tape speculatively...

I recently play Cards Against Humanity.  It's a blast.  But I don't think I'd want my kids to be in the same building while its being played. :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23809 on: October 11, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »
I don't care about where the cotton came from, I care about the thread count. You can get 100 count Egyptian cotton sheets. 

I'm a big fan of microfiber sheets and I just found some comfy jersey sheets at HomeGoods.

Oh, jersey sheets are awesome! Like sleeping wrapped up in an old, comfy t-shirt.

The only sheets we buy are jersey. They can be difficult to find in King, but Target is a reliable source.

deadbody

« Reply #23810 on: October 11, 2013, 11:02:19 PM »
I would like to nominate the people we came into contact with on our vacation over the weekend. 

At the amusement park:

-My family and I stood in line for about 15 minutes to buy bottled drinks in a concession stand. My mom was standing behind us with her purchase.  A little girl about 8-9 walked up the counter, in front of my mom, and plopped her purchase in front of the cashier. The cashier very politely told her that she needed to go to the back of the line.  The girl said, No, she didn't want to wait.  The cashier went back to waiting on my mom, but the girl kept nudging in front of my mom, trying to put her drink in the cashier's hand to be scanned, and at one point took my mom's money out of the cashier's hand, put it on the counter and handed the cashier her money. Mom told her, "Step away and do not touch my money again." in a very firm voice, and the girl started to stomp and cry.  Mom finished her transaction and walked away as quickly as possible before the girl's angry looking mother could make it to the counter.

"Sorry, it's the store rules. We can't give hot coffee to kids. I can only give one to your parents."
"But my mom said I could come and take a coffee. My mom is in the ice cream aisle and she lets me drink coffee all the time."

This reminds me of one I had to deal with earlier this year at the science fiction convention DH and I help run. I suppose he was 13 or so? And to his credit, he was volunteering at the time, so he does get points for that.

But the part that was making me want to muzzle him was that he kept whining about two things for pretty much the entire 90 minutes.

The first was that he wanted to play in a certain game in the LAN Gaming area, but wouldn't be able to because that particular session was during the adults only hours. (This was not due to the content of the game, but the convention designates about three hours a night as adult only time in that area, mostly to give the adults a chance to play, as otherwise it tends to be dominated by kids and teens.)

The second was that there is a card game called "Cards Against Humanity." (NOTE: This game is VERY, VERY NSFW. Do NOT Google it at work, or if you do, don't blame me!  ;D) Game play is similar to "Apples to Apples," but the content of the cards is really, really not for kids. A couple of the rooms for Gaming are, again, adults only after a certain time of night (not all of the rooms, but some of them) and this game was being played in one of those adults-only rooms. Anyway, the kid in question was going on and on and ON about how his parents wouldn't care, would totally allow him to play the game, etc. My response was that his parents could make whatever rules they wanted at home; the convention could also make and enforce rules. After that, I pretty much tuned him out, but it was still annoying.

Luckily I could and did get up and walk the floor once in awhile and get away from where he was volunteering for a few minutes...especially when I caught myself eying the roll of duct tape speculatively...

I recently play Cards Against Humanity.  It's a blast.  But I don't think I'd want my kids to be in the same building while its being played. :)

I did let my 15 year old play with us this summer on a disc golf weekend, but there may have been drinking involved in that decision making.

That being said if you find generally offensive humor to be amusing, this is the game for you.  I have never laughed so hard or so long as playing this game with like minded friends.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23811 on: October 11, 2013, 11:39:17 PM »
I don't care about where the cotton came from, I care about the thread count. You can get 100 count Egyptian cotton sheets. 

I'm a big fan of microfiber sheets and I just found some comfy jersey sheets at HomeGoods.

Oh, jersey sheets are awesome! Like sleeping wrapped up in an old, comfy t-shirt.

The only sheets we buy are jersey. They can be difficult to find in King, but Target is a reliable source.

I've found them reliably at BB&B and occasionally at HomeGoods.  I don't visit HG as much, but I always check to see if they have any there.  the cotton quality seems to be a bit better

andi

« Reply #23812 on: October 12, 2013, 09:57:31 AM »
BB&B had the Pima and Supima cotton sateen - the thread count is between 600 and 750, just right to "breath" at night.  They're sold separate spout the Egyptian Pima sateen is pretty good too, comes in sets and fits a tighter budget. If you're looking for something specific PM me and I'll see what I can find (I work for them)

Firecat

« Reply #23813 on: October 12, 2013, 11:53:45 AM »

At the amusement park:

I did let my 15 year old play with us this summer on a disc golf weekend, but there may have been drinking involved in that decision making.

That being said if you find generally offensive humor to be amusing, this is the game for you.  I have never laughed so hard or so long as playing this game with like minded friends.

LOL - yeah, the game is a blast to play with the right group of people, but it's definitely not for kids! At the convention, it was being played in a room that's away from the main convention traffic, and during a time when only adults were allowed in that room, with the doors closed to minimize people accidental overhearing. It actually worked out pretty well...the only complaint I know of was from the kid I mentioned above. 

Snooks

« Reply #23814 on: October 12, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »

Jersey sheets make me overheat which is really unlike me as normally I'm an ice cube. I kept waking up in a sweat feeling smothered.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23815 on: October 12, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
I am telling on myself as a special snowflake today.

My wife bought some Egyptian cotton sheets a few years ago.  She assures me that they become more comfortable the more you use them.

I hate them.  They feel like sleeping on 120 grit sandpaper while you are slowly sliding downhill.  It's not relaxing.  I toss and turn all night long.

I try, however, to remember that sometime in the future they will become as comfortable as other sheets are right after you buy them and that in order for that to happen we have to use them.

This morning, I was trying to say: "Oh, are those the Egyptian cotton sheets on the bed?"

Unfortunately, what came out was: "Oh, are those the sheets that might get comfortable in a few more years?"  I blame the lack of sleep and coffee.

I don't think you're being a special snowflake. I love nice sheets and there's no way I'd put up with bad ones for years without saying anything. You may want to work on your early morning tact, though  :D

I really don't think it should take *years* for cotton to soften up!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #23816 on: October 12, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »
Special snowflake honorable mention: I don't care how close to finalized your divorce is; having enthusiastic sex with your girlfriend WHILE YOUR WIFE IS IN THE NEXT ROOM is not going to make your wife suddenly realize what she's missing.

(The wife in this scenario is a friend of mine, who can't WAIT to get out of there.)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23817 on: October 12, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »
Special snowflake honorable mention: I don't care how close to finalized your divorce is; having enthusiastic sex with your girlfriend WHILE YOUR WIFE IS IN THE NEXT ROOM is not going to make your wife suddenly realize what she's missing.

(The wife in this scenario is a friend of mine, who can't WAIT to get out of there.)

Yikes!  The girlfriend must be a real work of art too!  I can't think of much of anything LESS romantic than getting it on with your boyfriend while his wife is in the next room.   :o

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23818 on: October 12, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »
Ew. Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew.

Did I mention ew? Because ew.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Iris

« Reply #23819 on: October 12, 2013, 10:44:16 PM »
Ew. Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew.

Did I mention ew? Because ew.

You said it all. Just...ew.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.