Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5420452 times)

petal

• Dancing Queen
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23820 on: October 13, 2013, 12:16:21 AM »
Special snowflake honorable mention: I don't care how close to finalized your divorce is; having enthusiastic sex with your girlfriend WHILE YOUR WIFE IS IN THE NEXT ROOM is not going to make your wife suddenly realize what she's missing.

(The wife in this scenario is a friend of mine, who can't WAIT to get out of there.)

now if I was his wife I'd use my intimate knowledge of him to embarrass him a touch.   (that was a bit quicker than usual honey)

or speak loudly thru the wall about his mother or something equally off putting

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #23821 on: October 13, 2013, 07:46:46 AM »
I am telling on myself as a special snowflake today.

My wife bought some Egyptian cotton sheets a few years ago.  She assures me that they become more comfortable the more you use them.

I hate them.  They feel like sleeping on 120 grit sandpaper while you are slowly sliding downhill.  It's not relaxing.  I toss and turn all night long.

I try, however, to remember that sometime in the future they will become as comfortable as other sheets are right after you buy them and that in order for that to happen we have to use them.

This morning, I was trying to say: "Oh, are those the Egyptian cotton sheets on the bed?"

Unfortunately, what came out was: "Oh, are those the sheets that might get comfortable in a few more years?"  I blame the lack of sleep and coffee.

I don't think you're being a special snowflake. I love nice sheets and there's no way I'd put up with bad ones for years without saying anything. You may want to work on your early morning tact, though  :D

I really don't think it should take *years* for cotton to soften up!

I typically buy 1200 count or better Egyptian cotton sheets.  They are easy to soften if you know how. Some manufacturers coat them with stain resistant gunk and lots of starch to make them look pretty in the package...the extra stiffness can also be because they are vat dyed.

Wash them in cool or warm water if you must, do not use hot as it can actually burn the fiber tips.  Use a very small amount of detergent (maybe 1/4 of what you normally would), 1 cup of baking soda and NO fabric softener and NO bleach (bleach will damage the fibers and fabric softener/dryer sheets CLOG the fibers them making them hot and uncomfortable).  Use a full cup of white vinegar in the rinse.

Dry on low setting, do not use fabric sheets.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #23822 on: October 13, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
This could have gone in a few places but I thought here would work.

NSFW involves bad language.

http://tinyurl.com/SSBiologyonline

in short:

The Blog editor of Biology-Online asked our Hero if I she would like to blog for them. She asked the conditions such as pay. He explained (no pay, but Dr bigwig does it for free so you should be paying me to work on this). She said no. He then called her a very very bad name.

::)
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23823 on: October 13, 2013, 10:32:07 PM »
Special snowflake honorable mention: I don't care how close to finalized your divorce is; having enthusiastic sex with your girlfriend WHILE YOUR WIFE IS IN THE NEXT ROOM is not going to make your wife suddenly realize what she's missing.

(The wife in this scenario is a friend of mine, who can't WAIT to get out of there.)

now if I was his wife I'd use my intimate knowledge of him to embarrass him a touch.   (that was a bit quicker than usual honey)

or speak loudly thru the wall about his mother or something equally off putting

Or if she (the gf) is being particularly loud in her vocalizations, hinting that she's faking it would be tempting too.  >:D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Cherry91

« Reply #23824 on: October 14, 2013, 05:14:22 AM »

in short:

The Blog editor of Biology-Online asked our Hero if I she would like to blog for them. She asked the conditions such as pay. He explained (no pay, but Dr bigwig does it for free so you should be paying me to work on this). She said no. He then called her a very very bad name.

Wow. WOW. Just... no. And I bet he'd have expected a high level of commitment too - not just a couple hours when she could spare them, but full time dedication for no money whatsoever.

And I'm pretty darn sure it wouldn't have happened if he's been contacting a man...

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #23825 on: October 14, 2013, 06:22:35 AM »
Special Snowflake at the grocery store. The fish they had in their cart was not the fish on special although it was the same species. He argued and argued that a raincheck wasn't good enough and since "all these fish come from the same company you WILL give me the sale price" and made many other comments.  She didn't back down- she pointed out that the company names were different and she wasn't going to give him the sale price. He took it with poor grace. I was thisclose to telling him to stuff it.

Snowflake at work.  A guest returned from a business function came up to me at the front desk and requested some help from the bellman,  who was assisting another guest and had been since before the first guest returned to the property. I said "of course! It will be a minute or two as he is currently assisting another guest but he'll be right back up after he finishes." Snowflake looks at me and says "what do you mean 'another guest?' He's helping someone else? I need help!" I am so sorry we have more guests than just you. I am so sorry we did not think to assign you your own personal bellman.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #23826 on: October 14, 2013, 06:31:48 AM »

in short:

Wow. WOW. Just... no. And I bet he'd have expected a high level of commitment too - not just a couple hours when she could spare them, but full time dedication for no money whatsoever.

And I'm pretty darn sure it wouldn't have happened if he's been contacting a man...

Is he trying to commit Professional Darwinism?  ??? ??? ???
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #23827 on: October 14, 2013, 06:59:26 AM »
Someone else who thinks Halloween decorations are scary.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/life-style/family-entertainment/halloween-shop-displays-too-scary-for-some-20131011-2vdf8.html#utm_source=FD&utm_medium=lifeandstylepuff&utm_campaign=scary

Funny thing is, Halloween isn't that big here so the decorations are rather token.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23828 on: October 14, 2013, 07:06:21 AM »
There were about five or six Special Snowflakes at the football games yesterday.  They were loud, drunk and opinionated, and didn't appear to have a good grasp on vocabulary, since one curse word was serving as a noun, verb, adverb, etc in the conversation.  One of them decided it would be fun to whistle directly into my ear (they were right behind us) after I looked around the first time he whistled to see where the noise was coming from.  Two of them had discussions better left private about how their relationship functioned.  One of them spilled beer on me and refused to apologize, saying, "That's just what you gotta expect at a football game!" (only with considerably more cursing involved).  Security walked by several times, saw almost all of what happened, and did nothing.  >:(  I will not wonder anymore why the NFL has such a hard time selling premium tickets if this is the experience ticketholders go through! 

MissRose

« Reply #23829 on: October 14, 2013, 08:03:13 AM »
Yesterday, I was traveling to the expressway on a 5 lane road, and darting across the 5 lanes (and not even at a cross walk) appeared to be 5 people (1 adult and 4 kids under age 10).  Who does that , especially with the expressway traffic not far away.  Makes me wonder why they did not walk to the cross walk at the intersection about 1 block away?

amyg

« Reply #23830 on: October 14, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »

in short:

Is he trying to commit Professional Darwinism?  ??? ??? ???

Not trying. He did. He was fired this morning.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #23831 on: October 14, 2013, 12:28:42 PM »
Concert snowflakes on Facebook. Austin City Limits Festival was cancelled yesterday. I'll admit to being disappointed myself but after what happened in 2009, I think canceling the final day was the right call. Zilker Park would have been destroyed.

Many of the bands scheduled tried to find alternative venues to play pop up shows for as many people as they could. It just goes to show you can't please everyone. People were complaining about:

1. No notice of pop up shows. ACL said follow Facebook, Twitter and Instagram all day. The notices went out all day.

2. It's just a little rain. Glastonbury, Bonnaroo, Jazz Fest, etc wouldn't have cancelled. Drought conditions + 12 inches of rain overnight. It was too much for the park to take. Did I mention Zilker Park lies between two bodies of water?

3. I had a wristband, I should get priority for any shows that come up. So did 50,000 other people.

4. But I wanted to see (insert act name here)! So did 50,000 other people. It's not safe and the artist is probably as disappointed as you.

5. I bought my tickets on Craigslist. I'm not getting a refund. The promoter was pretty clear about this from the beginning. Only tickets purchased through them were covered. Weekend two tickets didn't sell out until Wednesday.  It was possible for a lot of festival goers to avoid scalpers or third party vendors.

I know my fifth point will probably prove divisive but, had I bought my tickets from a scalper, I'd have to suck it up. That the promoter is even issuing refunds at all is pretty generous.

I had a blast on the days I was able to attend. The Cure's phenom all set alone was well worth it.

Carotte

« Reply #23832 on: October 14, 2013, 01:12:04 PM »

5. I bought my tickets on Craigslist. I'm not getting a refund. The promoter was pretty clear about this from the beginning. Only tickets purchased through them were covered. Weekend two tickets didn't sell out until Wednesday.  It was possible for a lot of festival goers to avoid scalpers or third party vendors.

I know my fifth point will probably prove divisive but, had I bought my tickets from a scalper, I'd have to suck it up. That the promoter is even issuing refunds at all is pretty generous.

Where the tickets only available from one source only and you had to provide the name of the people who would be using it beforehand?
If the ticket is valid, I don't see how the promoter can get out off what would be (or not, depending on situations) a legal obligation to refund, just because the ticket changed hands at one time.
This time is probably moot, "act of nature" and only cancelling part of something means they most likelly are not legaly obligated to refund anything.
At one point or another the scalpers had to buy it from someone, the promoter, so unless they are able to track everyone or the tickets have a name or something it sounds weird*.

*Not saying it's the wrong way to do it, saying it's donne differently here, where you can buy festival or show tickets in a variety of shops/kiosks, and if ShopA refunds ShopA tickets, they have to refund every ShopA tickets, even if it went through 5 hands inbetween, they have no way to know that.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #23833 on: October 14, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
The promoter is refunding 1/3 of the price of tickets to the purchaser of record. In my case, that would be DH. Since the promoter is the only recognized vendor, they are well within their rights to deal with the situation in this manner.

So third party vendors are going to be getting 1/3 of the money they spent buying their tickets back and their customers have no recourse. People who bought their tickets off Craigslist are complaining because the promoter is not going to go out of their way for them. We were all warned that some protections would be lost if tickets were secured via a third party. Now that people see that the promoter was serious, people are crying foul.

I don't see how the promoter can refund people's money any other way. I also feel you assume some risk when you purchase tickets through a third party.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23834 on: October 14, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »
One of my friends who went to ACL was posting pictures of the flooded areas today.

http://republicofaustin.com/2013/10/13/acl-fest-2013-flooding-pictures-weekend-2/

Yeah, having thousands of people sloshing around in knee-deep water sounds just brilliant.../eyeroll
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls