Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5090613 times)

Melxb

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23850 on: October 15, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »
This could have gone in a few places but I thought here would work.

NSFW involves bad language.

http://tinyurl.com/SSBiologyonline

in short:

The Blog editor of Biology-Online asked our Hero if I she would like to blog for them. She asked the conditions such as pay. He explained (no pay, but Dr bigwig does it for free so you should be paying me to work on this). She said no. He then called her a very very bad name.

::)

Wow. WOW. Just... no. And I bet he'd have expected a high level of commitment too - not just a couple hours when she could spare them, but full time dedication for no money whatsoever.

And I'm pretty darn sure it wouldn't have happened if he's been contacting a man...

Is he trying to commit Professional Darwinism?  ??? ??? ???
At first he was being supported to the point of  DNLee's original post being taken down by Scientific American. There was major backlash and they have reversed their decision to censor her and restored her post. I haven't seen any reports of him being fired, and he should be.

He was let go by biology-online.org, where he was blogging.  However, he works for the NIH as an HIV/AIDS researcher.  He still has that job. 

MindsEye

« Reply #23851 on: October 15, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »
A big 'ol roll of the eyes to the SS acquaintance who decided that the best response to a minor disagreement  was to cut me off and un-friend me on FaceBook.... who threw a tantrum that I didn't notice the un-friending until it was pointed out to me... and then threw another tantrum when my response to the news of the un-friending was "I really don't care".   

The cut direct.  Un-friending.  These do not mean what I think that you think they mean....

And this is a grown woman in her late 30s with two kids by the way... not a middle school tween, behavior notwithstanding.

misha412

« Reply #23852 on: October 15, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »
 A single trip to the bank this morning, a whole flurry of SSs along the way.

Two of note:

SSIParkusWhereIWantus aka the gentleman driving the supersized SUV who parked across the driveway going in and out of the bank. I am actually glad you decided to pull over to have the intense cell phone conversation you were having instead of doing it while driving. However, you could have pulled 15 to 20 feet into the parking lot and parked in a spot to take the call instead of making it impossible to pull in or out of the bank. And glaring and swearing at the guy ahead of me who tooted his horn to get your attention was not polite either.

SSINeedusExtraSpaceusToTurnus aka the gentleman who needed to swerve out of the turn lane into the travel lane in order to make a simple 90-degree turn. That intersection is of modern design and provides plenty of room to make the turn. You were driving a smaller four-door sedan, not a full-sized semi-truck with an attached heavily loaded trailer. There was zero reason why the front part of your car needed to swerve right, into the travel lane, before following the car ahead of you to take the left turn.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #23853 on: October 15, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
I saw this on my newsfeed today http://www.komonews.com/news/crime/Police-Woman-blocking-hospital-driveway-pummels-annoyed-driver-with-cane-227843141.html

Recap:
Couple stopped in a no-parking zone, blocking the driveway to the hospital so that the woman could get out. They admit to taking a few minutes to get out of the car. A guy behind them honked his horn to let them know they were blocking traffic. They responded by assulting the annoyed driver with her cane and screaming that the driver was hitting her. The driver of her car also got out and assulted the annoyed driver.

The police got involved and while they were not arrested, the police recomended charges be filed against the couple.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23854 on: October 15, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »
This morning, dropping off DS as usual. Pulling through the exit to the parking lot, a SS driver had made a partial u-turn from the entrance and was blocking both exit lanes. I honked, as the driver stopped the car to let their child out. I honked again when the driver did not move the car and I was rewarded by a middle finger. Then I noticed the children in the back seat of the car, about ages 6 - 9. What a great example of parenting!

The driver did not move until other cars behind me started honking.  ::)

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #23855 on: October 15, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »
Ok found another one this time on the police blotter!  http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2013/10/14/man-flies-into-rage-after-being-asked-to-pay-for-third-tub-of-ranch-dressing/

Man Flies Into Rage After Being Asked to Pay For Third Tub of Ranch Dip

Edited for copyright laws.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:12:15 AM by cass2591 »

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #23856 on: October 15, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »
I saw this on my newsfeed today http://www.komonews.com/news/crime/Police-Woman-blocking-hospital-driveway-pummels-annoyed-driver-with-cane-227843141.html

Recap:
Couple stopped in a no-parking zone, blocking the driveway to the hospital so that the woman could get out. They admit to taking a few minutes to get out of the car. A guy behind them honked his horn to let them know they were blocking traffic. They responded by assulting the annoyed driver with her cane and screaming that the driver was hitting her. The driver of her car also got out and assulted the annoyed driver.

The police got involved and while they were not arrested, the police recomended charges be filed against the couple.

Good Gravy!

I never honk because I'm afraid someone will shoot at me - how scary has this world become?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23857 on: October 15, 2013, 05:22:25 PM »
I'm nominating the person in front of me in the left-turn lane, who ignored the green turn arrow and just sat there until the arrow turned red, then sneaked forward and turned left through a tiny gap in the oncoming cars!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jocelyn

« Reply #23858 on: October 15, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »
This morning on one of the morning shows, I heard people talking about ways they deterred sales people who came by unsolicited.  Some of things seemed to be a bit snowflakey from what I can recall.   If a salesperson or other solicitor rings my doorbell, I will kindly turn them away - I do not need a new vacuum (have 1 already), hear your political speech (not a political person here), or you trying to tell me about your religion (happy with my choice of Deity and faith).
I keep a hand-and-a-half sword near the front door. Oddly enough, people are strangely reluctant to peeve a person who has a large and lethal-looking sword within arm's reach.

Jocelyn

« Reply #23859 on: October 15, 2013, 09:48:33 PM »
A big 'ol roll of the eyes to the SS acquaintance who decided that the best response to a minor disagreement  was to cut me off and un-friend me on FaceBook.... who threw a tantrum that I didn't notice the un-friending until it was pointed out to me... and then threw another tantrum when my response to the news of the un-friending was "I really don't care".   

The cut direct.  Un-friending.  These do not mean what I think that you think they mean....

And this is a grown woman in her late 30s with two kids by the way... not a middle school tween, behavior notwithstanding.
I had my FB account hacked, and it sent out emails supporting a political position I definitely do not support. Friends who knew me well were amused by this, and posted notes joking about the change in my politics. Another friend, who DOES support that position, jumped on one of those posters, criticizing her politics. I posted a note saying that it was just a joke about my politics, and that surely Another Friend would have been struck by the incongruity of me espousing that position, since upon many, many occasions we had discussed politics and didn't she think it was amusing to imagine me making such a 180 turn?
Apparently it wasn't amusing to her, because she unfriended me. I am not distraught.

andi

« Reply #23860 on: October 15, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
Car pool just b**d's SS - they multiply by 10 in the rain. This morning and this afternoon drivers decided to ignore the giant "exit only" signs and yellow arrows pointing "out" from the driveway to the street and make illegal turns from the street into the parking lot using the exit lanes.  Horns honking this morning were rewarded with blushes and sheepish grins ( happened right in front of me). The one this afternoon almost got rear ended by the person behind her on the street and I was rewarded by "the finger" since i honked as I was pulling out as she pulled in and almost hit me

Very nice attitude at a private, faith- based school. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23861 on: October 16, 2013, 07:19:36 AM »

I had my FB account hacked, and it sent out emails supporting a political position I definitely do not support. Friends who knew me well were amused by this, and posted notes joking about the change in my politics. Another friend, who DOES support that position, jumped on one of those posters, criticizing her politics. I posted a note saying that it was just a joke about my politics, and that surely Another Friend would have been struck by the incongruity of me espousing that position, since upon many, many occasions we had discussed politics and didn't she think it was amusing to imagine me making such a 180 turn?
Apparently it wasn't amusing to her, because she unfriended me. I am not distraught.

My grandmother was part of the donkey party her whole life, and my uncle who gave her eulogy joked that he knew she was slipping when he went through her register and saw she'd donated money to the elephant party because she would have never done that before the Alzheimer's set in. 

Even the family members who were part of the elephant party had to chuckle at that one simply because it really was so out of character for Grandma. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MissRose

« Reply #23862 on: October 16, 2013, 08:07:15 AM »
Ok found another one this time on the police blotter!  http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2013/10/14/man-flies-into-rage-after-being-asked-to-pay-for-third-tub-of-ranch-dressing/

Man Flies Into Rage After Being Asked to Pay For Third Tub of Ranch Dip

Edited for copyright laws.

So many places charge for extra condiments these days anyways.  I remember when I worked at the Golden Arches that the only condiments we charged extra for was the salad dressing or cheese on the sandwich (extra slice or add on to one that came with cheese).  I see signs up for how much will be given to you before they charge for extras.  I would hate to deal with people if I worked at the Golden Arches again that would go ballistic over things like extra ketchup or dipping sauces!

darling

« Reply #23863 on: October 16, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »
Here's a closed-doesn't-actually-mean-closed snowflake:

http://q13fox.com/2013/10/15/teacher-ticketed-for-trying-to-take-students-to-national-park/?hpt=us_bn10#axzz2hjmV1Wm5

<snip>This weekend, Sanders was hosting some international students from Japan. She wanted them to see the park, so she did a quick check on the National Park Service website to see if she could go.

“I didn’t see anything saying I could not,” she said. “When I got to the park, there was a partial barricade. But there was a full lane open.”

There was a sign on the barricade, but Sanders was confused by the use of the word ‘facility.’

“I thought that meant the gift shop and the restrooms and the ranger station, I didn’t think it meant the waterfall and the path. It didn’t occur to me that I was breaking the law, at all.”

But within minutes, a park ranger showed up and wrote her and several other visitors $125 tickets for ‘violation of closure.’

I actually wanted to look it up to see if it’s a real law I violated, or if it’s just to communicate a point,” Sanders said.

Really?

z_squared82

« Reply #23864 on: October 16, 2013, 09:30:02 AM »
Here's a closed-doesn't-actually-mean-closed snowflake:

http://q13fox.com/2013/10/15/teacher-ticketed-for-trying-to-take-students-to-national-park/?hpt=us_bn10#axzz2hjmV1Wm5

<snip>This weekend, Sanders was hosting some international students from Japan. She wanted them to see the park, so she did a quick check on the National Park Service website to see if she could go.

“I didn’t see anything saying I could not,” she said. “When I got to the park, there was a partial barricade. But there was a full lane open.”

There was a sign on the barricade, but Sanders was confused by the use of the word ‘facility.’

“I thought that meant the gift shop and the restrooms and the ranger station, I didn’t think it meant the waterfall and the path. It didn’t occur to me that I was breaking the law, at all.”

But within minutes, a park ranger showed up and wrote her and several other visitors $125 tickets for ‘violation of closure.’

I actually wanted to look it up to see if it’s a real law I violated, or if it’s just to communicate a point,” Sanders said.

Really?

See, I vote for this as SS not b/c they didn't seem to know what closed meant, but rather, What rock have you been living under to not know that the National Parks are closed?!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:00:04 AM by z_squared82 »