Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5228589 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23895 on: October 17, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »
No separate license here in Canada, either.  Very few people drive stick any more.  I had difficulty finding a stick when I was shopping a month and a half ago.  If I'd been buying a car, I might have had an easier time but I was buying a CUV.

I learned to drive on an old Ford F150 that was three on the tree.  (Which means it only had three gears plus reverse and the shifter was on the steering column.  They haven't made them since the 80's, I don't think.)

Shalamar, I'm not sure I could have resisted in your shoes.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #23896 on: October 17, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
What's a CUV?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Browyn

« Reply #23897 on: October 17, 2013, 07:56:41 PM »
What's a CUV?

CUV: crossover utility vehicle

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #23898 on: October 17, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »
SSIParkusWhereIWantus aka the gentleman driving the supersized SUV who parked across the driveway going in and out of the bank. I am actually glad you decided to pull over to have the intense cell phone conversation you were having instead of doing it while driving. However, you could have pulled 15 to 20 feet into the parking lot and parked in a spot to take the call instead of making it impossible to pull in or out of the bank. And glaring and swearing at the guy ahead of me who tooted his horn to get your attention was not polite either.
Not quite the same, but similar.  I was driving on a rural route - 2 lane winding road.  A very large SUV (almost Hummer size) pulled over, I presume to talk on their cell phone.  It is illegal to use an electronic device (talking or texting) unless one pulls over and turns off the ignition.  This driver pulled maybe half way out of the lane and stopped there, on a blind curve on the near side of a high point on the road so oncoming vehicles could not see him or me when I tried to drive around him.  No flashing lights, no clue that this vehicle was not moving until one reached it.  Fortunately there was no oncoming traffic when I swerved around him.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

greencat

« Reply #23899 on: October 17, 2013, 09:02:35 PM »
I am nominating the person ahead of me in the left-turn-arrow governed lane earlier today.  The light turned green.  They lurched forward a few feet - so they obviously saw it - and then stopped.  There was nothing in the road that would have caused them to pause.

I honked a lot and they finally moved.

I'm sorry, but I would call you the SS in that situation.  The way you described it, it sounds like they were in a stick.  If they were new to it, or if something was wrong, it's very easy to have it stall after lurching forward a little like that.  You "honking a lot" made it no easier on that driver trying to get going again.  I was always so nervous while learning to drive a stick that I would have a driver react that way to me.  A little patience and giving the other person the benefit of the doubt goes a lot longer than laying on your horn.

First, I didn't immediately start honking.  Second, they pretty clearly braked - their brake lights went off when they started forward and then they came on again as they stopped, rather than shortly after as with a stick shift stalling and being restarted.  Third, it was a fairly new Chevy Suburban, and I just double-checked, and those things don't come in stick shift.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #23900 on: October 17, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »
First, I didn't immediately start honking.  Second, they pretty clearly braked - their brake lights went off when they started forward and then they came on again as they stopped, rather than shortly after as with a stick shift stalling and being restarted.  Third, it was a fairly new Chevy Suburban, and I just double-checked, and those things don't come in stick shift.

You must have missed the "I brake for hallucinations" bumper sticker.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

mmswm

« Reply #23901 on: October 17, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »
RE: Stick shifts

The reason I still drive a 1999 Civic is because I've had a  horrible time finding a car in a manual that I can afford.  You can still get them new, but finding one that's a few years old (which is what I could maybe afford) is difficult.  I think that most people who drive sticks around here are like me.  They drive them because they love them and don't want to give them up.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #23902 on: October 17, 2013, 10:12:48 PM »
The last two cars I've owned - a Mini Cooper and a Jeep Wrangler - were both quite easy to find in a low-mileage used with a stick shift. There seem to be some vehicles that are easier to find in a stick shift than others.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MissRose

« Reply #23903 on: October 18, 2013, 08:19:01 AM »
O/T but I have to ask. In the USA do you have to sit a separate test for automatics and manual cars?

In the Uk a passing a test in a "stick" means you can drive both, but if you pass in an automatic you have a different license and are not legally allowed to drive a stick.

Not as far as I am aware, although laws to vary by state. Many people these days never learn to drive a stick at all.

In my state, I learned to drive using an automatic not a stick in my driver's training class years ago.   I tried to learn to drive a stick shift one time with my sister's then boyfriend trying to teach me, my sister was in the backseat laughing at me either stalling the car or grinding the gears!  I will NOT drive a stick nor will learn how.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #23904 on: October 18, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »
I don't even have a driver's license but I can drive stick.  When my 4 cousins and me turned 16 within a few months of each other, my uncle bought his kids (triplets who all got their license at the same time) a cheap used beater that was manual.  So my uncle, brave soul that he is, taught all 5 of us to drive stick in that car, presuming that Dave and I, who were a few months younger, would be soon to get our licenses as well.  (Dave did, I never did.)

We practised in a then-empty parking lot and my cousin Danielle laid a patch hard enough in that parking lot that now, 16 years later, it's still there.  I laugh to myself every time I go to that parking lot, where a Home Depot is now, and I see the skidmark.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #23905 on: October 18, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »
My father taught me how to drive a stick when I was a teen, and I will always be grateful.  After not having driven one in 20 years, I was once able to drive one again with no problem.

Not to all contestants in The Amazing Race: there is a high probability that at some point they will make you drive a stick, so learn before you go.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #23906 on: October 18, 2013, 09:57:46 AM »
RE: Stick shifts

The reason I still drive a 1999 Civic is because I've had a  horrible time finding a car in a manual that I can afford.  You can still get them new, but finding one that's a few years old (which is what I could maybe afford) is difficult.  I think that most people who drive sticks around here are like me.  They drive them because they love them and don't want to give them up.

I drive a 2011 Mazda Tribute that's a stick shift, but you're right, I got it new.  I also got it really cheap because it's a stick shift and nobody else wanted it.  Yay for me!

Years ago when I was looking for a new car (in 2000), I could have had a very high-end year-old Volvo (the kind with the little wipers on the headlights) because it was custom-made as a stick shift, and then sold after only a year.   I could have gotten it for a very small price, BUT I was commuting 60 miles one way at the time and Volvos aren't known for good gas mileage.  It was a great-feeling car, though.  Nice and solid. 

I love my stick shift.  Please never take it away.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #23907 on: October 18, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
It's definitely a bonus having a manual transmission truck when SS people tell you they're *going* to borrow it to move or pick up large stuff.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23908 on: October 18, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
It's definitely a bonus having a manual transmission truck when SS people tell you they're *going* to borrow it to move or pick up large stuff.

How true!  It is a PITA when roadtripping, though, if no one else knows how to drive stick.

We have a great program here in my city where you call this service if you've had too much to drink.  They come to you, in pairs, and one of them drives you home in your own vehicle and the other person follows in their car.  It is as cheap or cheaper than a taxi AND you don't have to go pick up your car the next day.  I haven't used them yet but a friend was at my place and called them.  They said they have lots of drivers who can drive stick but to be sure to specify if I'm calling them.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hillia

« Reply #23909 on: October 18, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »
I bought an 04 Hyundai new, and it had a stick.  I love driving stick, but it's not really practical for us since DH doesn't know how, so we'd never be able to switch vehicles.

My exH taught me to drive a stick.  It was essential, because we were down to one car and it was a manual.  He was a major jerk in many, many ways but he did a great job of teaching this.  His best piece of advice?  If you're panicking, don't know what gear you're supposed to be in, put in the clutch.  That will disengage the gears and you can't do any damage, and gives you a second to think about what you're doing next.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools