Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5534231 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24000 on: October 23, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »
Wasn't there a girl in The Breakfast Club who was "poor" but actually had a decent sized house?

Molly Ringwald's character - lived in a nice middle class house and I think had her own car, but apparently not having a mansion and servants meant she was 'poor'.  I do wonder how much of that has to do with the Hollywood lifestyle - maybe nobody working on the film realised how this would come across to the paying public who would love to be that 'poor'.

If I am remembering correctly, parts of the film were poking fun at her 'poor little rich girl' attitude, so I think the filmmakers did OK.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

nuit93

« Reply #24001 on: October 23, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
Wasn't there a girl in The Breakfast Club who was "poor" but actually had a decent sized house?

Molly Ringwald's character - lived in a nice middle class house and I think had her own car, but apparently not having a mansion and servants meant she was 'poor'.  I do wonder how much of that has to do with the Hollywood lifestyle - maybe nobody working on the film realised how this would come across to the paying public who would love to be that 'poor'.

I thought that was "Pretty in Pink"?

Firecat

« Reply #24002 on: October 23, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »

I think that was "Pretty in Pink." In "The Breakfast Club," I don't think you ever see her house, and one of parents drops her off at the school and picks her up afterwards.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #24003 on: October 23, 2013, 10:14:45 PM »

I think that was "Pretty in Pink." In "The Breakfast Club," I don't think you ever see her house, and one of parents drops her off at the school and picks her up afterwards.

IIRC, in Pretty in Pink, she really was broke as a joke. Had a house but not that nice, unemployed Dad, worked in a record store.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

andi

« Reply #24004 on: October 23, 2013, 10:52:01 PM »
Yeah - PIP she was "from the wrong side of the tracks" and her love interest was "spoiled rich kid".

Emmy

« Reply #24005 on: October 23, 2013, 10:55:10 PM »
An SS Parent in Texas has filed a "bullying" complaint after their son's high school football team was on the losing end of a 91-0 game.

The winning team's coach (who is the accused in the bullying complaint) actualy pulled all of his starters early in the game, and even the losing team's coach has come out and said that he disagrees with the complaint.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1043566/333/Parent-files-bullying-complaint-after-91-0-football-loss

I heard the parent was no longer upset once he learned the winning coaches tried to show mercy on the other team by playing the second and third string players, let the clock run, ect. and wanted to retract the complaint.  Unfortunately once the complaint was filed, it still has to be investigated.

audhs

« Reply #24006 on: October 24, 2013, 09:00:05 AM »
An SS Parent in Texas has filed a "bullying" complaint after their son's high school football team was on the losing end of a 91-0 game.

The winning team's coach (who is the accused in the bullying complaint) actualy pulled all of his starters early in the game, and even the losing team's coach has come out and said that he disagrees with the complaint.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1043566/333/Parent-files-bullying-complaint-after-91-0-football-loss

I heard the parent was no longer upset once he learned the winning coaches tried to show mercy on the other team by playing the second and third string players, let the clock run, ect. and wanted to retract the complaint.  Unfortunately once the complaint was filed, it still has to be investigated.

I'm confused by the original complaint, even if the winning team hadn't pulled its best players, how would it have been bullying?  I get if they we're smack talking p, or taunting the losing team with how bad they were but just being a better team isn't bullying or being mean, it's life. It sucks to be beat that bad and maybe it was unnecessary to keep playing but that wasn't the other coaches fault.

I do think it shows that the teams are in different leagues and shouldn't be put up against each other.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #24007 on: October 24, 2013, 10:49:07 AM »

I'm confused by the original complaint, even if the winning team hadn't pulled its best players, how would it have been bullying?  I get if they we're smack talking p, or taunting the losing team with how bad they were but just being a better team isn't bullying or being mean, it's life. It sucks to be beat that bad and maybe it was unnecessary to keep playing but that wasn't the other coaches fault.

I do think it shows that the teams are in different leagues and shouldn't be put up against each other.

As far as why the parent got upset and cried bullying in the first place - running up the score on an inferior opponent, especially in a high school game, can be unsportsmanlike. When the score gets that unbalanced, it was probably easy to see it as the opposing team's coaches using his team for punching bags: "Can we score with this play? Yes! How about that kid? Yep! Haha, man, you guys can't stop anything, can you?" There's no official 'mercy' rule in football, so it's on the coaches of both sides to recognize an unbalanced game and let it end quickly, especially because that big of a disparity can lead to trash talk, or kids committing fouls to try and "even things up."

My guess would be the parent didn't realize the steps that the opposing coaches had taken to ease up on the game. Running up the score stings, and can be unsportsmanlike behavior, but the strategies to avoid that result aren't always noticeable, nor perfectly successful. A lot of people barely notice which players are on the field from the opposing team, whether or not there are more run than pass plays, or what a continuous clock is for. All they see is the score going up and up and up, and they go into mama bear/papa wolf mode.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #24008 on: October 24, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »
The pickup truck that was weaving in and out of traffic behind us yesterday, cut in front of us, and ran a red light.  The light was yellow and then red in plenty of time for the guy to stop, but he didn't even slow down, and he honked his horn as he went through the intersection.  The only way I could see any kind of reason for this is if there was a medical emergency and he needed to get to the hospital...

cwm

« Reply #24009 on: October 24, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
The pickup truck that was weaving in and out of traffic behind us yesterday, cut in front of us, and ran a red light.  The light was yellow and then red in plenty of time for the guy to stop, but he didn't even slow down, and he honked his horn as he went through the intersection.  The only way I could see any kind of reason for this is if there was a medical emergency and he needed to get to the hospital...

Sadly, we get those all the time. The best is when the light is turning and they're speeding down the hill honking the whole way, then run the light several seconds after it turns red.

Sis ran into one once. There's this weird turn lane just off the highway, and it has its own light to cross oncoming traffic, but the rest of the forward traffic in this direction doesn't have a light. SS was in front of sis, stopped at the red light, and then decided he didn't want to wait the 5-7 minutes for the light to cycle through again, so he waits for a break in traffic and runs it.

Cop behind Sis turns on his lights and sirens and motions sis to go through the intersection. Sis was terrified at this point, wondering if cop had run her plates or something, but cop just sped right by her and pulled over the SS who ran the light first. It was quite an interesting day.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #24010 on: October 24, 2013, 11:59:59 AM »
This video is all over the internet currently:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ab9M_St6bPk

Almost all the comments abut the little girl are positive: about her enthusiasm, cuteness, and show-stealingness.

Honestly, I feel sorry for all the other girls who were trying to stick to their routine.  Especially that girl on the end, she was just about isolated out there and was really doing well, despite the disruption.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #24011 on: October 24, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »

Almost all the comments abut the little girl are positive: about her enthusiasm, cuteness, and show-stealingness.

Honestly, I feel sorry for all the other girls who were trying to stick to their routine.  Especially that girl on the end, she was just about isolated out there and was really doing well, despite the disruption.

I'm sorry, but that was the cutest thing ever.  She's a 3 year old, I'm glad they managed to get her on the stage with all of her clothes on :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24012 on: October 24, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »

I agree with you.  I think it's an amazing show of "presence" that the other girls did not allow this one overly enthusiastic child to totally distract them, even though she clearly was trying to involve the one on the end.  That little cutie just ignored her and went right on with the team's routine.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24013 on: October 24, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »

I'm of two minds here.  Yes, she was cute and enthusiastic.  But she came very close to kicking the girls on either side by flailing around the way she was. If I were the dance instructor, I'd have a long talk with the girl and her mother about the need to do the routine as it was choreographed, and if she couldn't do that, perhaps she would be happier at another dance school. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hillia

« Reply #24014 on: October 24, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »
I wonder what she's like in class.  Does she always go off and do her own thing?  Does her teacher have to spend a large percentage of class time keeping her with the group?  Maybe she's just not quite ready for group activities yet.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools