Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5623822 times)

heartmug

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24015 on: October 24, 2013, 02:13:23 PM »
Just watched that.  The girl on the end amazes me!  She was able to stay focused on the routine.  Kudos to her.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Tsaiko

« Reply #24016 on: October 24, 2013, 02:54:27 PM »
This video is all over the internet currently:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ab9M_St6bPk

Almost all the comments abut the little girl are positive: about her enthusiasm, cuteness, and show-stealingness.

Honestly, I feel sorry for all the other girls who were trying to stick to their routine.  Especially that girl on the end, she was just about isolated out there and was really doing well, despite the disruption.
I'm of two minds here.  Yes, she was cute and enthusiastic.  But she came very close to kicking the girls on either side by flailing around the way she was. If I were the dance instructor, I'd have a long talk with the girl and her mother about the need to do the routine as it was choreographed, and if she couldn't do that, perhaps she would be happier at another dance school.

I have quite a bit of sympathy for the girl doing her own thing, because as a kid, I was that girl. I had no rhythm, no ability to do the routine as practiced, and all the grace of drunk hippo in a tutu (still have that much grace too, though I can now keep a rhythm). My mom has dozens of pictures of me on stage where every one is doing one thing, and I'm doing another.

Why did she continue to let me do dance lessons? Because I enjoyed it and the dance instructor didn't mind. As she put it "Tsaiko is a free spirit." The teacher should probably have a talk with the girl about being careful not to hit/interfere with anyone, but really, their kids. If the girl is having fun, let her.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24017 on: October 24, 2013, 03:12:30 PM »
Perhaps the blogger has a point...but I was always taught that it was poor manners to talk about having something someone else did not, or could not afford. To expect to be both admired for having things, and pitied for all the trouble having nice things causes, seems to me to be antithetical to the purposes of etiquette.

I didn't think that piece did either of those things.

Shalamar

« Reply #24018 on: October 24, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
That reminds me of when I was taking Riverdancing lessons a few years ago.  You probably know this, but Riverdancing requires wearing shoes with metal taps on them, and they're very loud (that's the point).  There was one woman in my class who could not learn the choreography to save her life, and her solution was to just make up her own steps.   Hearing and seeing her doing something completely different from the rest of the class was VERY distracting.  I always tried to make sure that I was on the opposite end of the room from her.

(Unlike that little girl, this woman didn't have youth or cuteness to help forgive her behavior - she was just a special snowflake.)

Hillia

« Reply #24019 on: October 24, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
It's a fine line between not stifling this little girl's exuberance and maintaining order for the rest of the class.  Maybe she'd be better served in a class that was more about individual movement than choreography, so that she could do her own thing without distracting the others.  She was very cute but I relate to her neighbor on the end of the line, sticking to the plan and doggedly ignoring the improv going on next to her! I have not a creative bone in my body but give me a pattern and I can follow it to the T.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yarnspinner

« Reply #24020 on: October 24, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
Yesterday, a patron who is always flamboyant and usually a delight to help, wore a T-Shirt that had a truly outrageous, crude and rude message of a carnal nature.  I mean, it was offensive!  In what was not my best moment of judgment, I suggested that he consider wearing something a lot less offensive the next time he was in.

Next thing I know, he is demanding my supervisor's address, wants to talk to Stonecold (if you can find her, be my guest), is getting his lawyer involved and so forth.  My supervisor and I finally spoke to him together and I apologized profusely (which really made me mad as all get out, but it seemed the right thing to do) and ultimately, he and I ended up laughing over it.

What made it a snowflake moment for me is that he flat out admitted he had worn it to tick people off. 

Uh......

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24021 on: October 24, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
What made it a snowflake moment for me is that he flat out admitted he had worn it to tick people off.
Mission Accomplished! ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24022 on: October 24, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »
Let me introduce Mr. ICanParkMyMotorcycleAnywhereIWantus:  I live in Waikiki.  Parking is always difficult unless you own your own parking stall (which we do).  This morning I took our dog out to pee in the designated pee spot.  There was a motorcycle parked on the sidewalk in front of my condo.  Not a bicycle, not even a moped.  A full sized motorcycle.  It wasn't in my way, but it is illegal to park a motorcycle on the sidewalk.  Bicycles, mopeds, skateboards, roller skates, and Segways are not allowed on the sidewalks in Waikiki.  Sidewalks are just for people.  They are that crowded.

I asked our building security guard what the motorcycle was doing on the sidewalk.  He said, "I don't know; It was there when I came on shift."  I said, "It is still parked illegally."  It is the security guard's job to take care of these matters.  When I left to catch my bus over an hour later the motorcycle was still on the sidewalk ... not doing much, just parked illegally. >:(
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24023 on: October 24, 2013, 04:50:24 PM »
I'm not sure any teacher of 3 year olds expects them to follow choreography very well.

I haven't seen the video, but it sounds like she's too young to have any malicious intent. Hopefully she will gain more grace in all areas of her life as she matures.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hillia

« Reply #24024 on: October 24, 2013, 04:54:02 PM »
I'm not sure any teacher of 3 year olds expects them to follow choreography very well.

I haven't seen the video, but it sounds like she's too young to have any malicious intent. Hopefully she will gain more grace in all areas of her life as she matures.

She absolutely has no malicious intent, she's just having fun.  And of course no one expects much in the way of performance out of 3 year olds, but this little girl is all over the place, and at one point is waving her hands in the face of the girl next to her...like 'Hey, lookit me!'  So she was  making it  hard for the girls on either side of her, who actually were kind of following the moves, to do their 'step turn step'.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

purplerainbow

« Reply #24025 on: October 24, 2013, 05:02:02 PM »
I know obviously the little girl didn't mean badly - it's hard to follow choreography at the age of 3. But I just feel, maybe if the dance teacher knew that particular girl had trouble following the routine, they could have placed her at the end? Then she wouldn't have confused the other little girl who was on the end, who really was trying her best to follow the others.
True, the girl who didn't follow the routine was pretty cute, and was most likely enjoying herself. But I just spent the video feeling so sorry for the little girl on the end. I'm not saying the other girl should stop dancing (especially if she enjoys it), but maybe find a class/method/form of dance where she isn't distracting someone else, or almost bumping into them?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24026 on: October 24, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »
It reminds me of our annual skating carnival in my home town.  The littlest ones would practice a choreographed routine prior to the carnival and they would start out doing their routine.  But then someone would turn on the bubble machine positioned above the ice and then they'd all gather under it, trying to pop the bubbles.  It was the cutest thing.  One year, the 'leader' (she was the tallest so she was at the front of the line) carried on doing the routine while all the little ones behind her went to the bubbles.  That was even cuter.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24027 on: October 24, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »
I wonder what she's like in class.  Does she always go off and do her own thing?  Does her teacher have to spend a large percentage of class time keeping her with the group?  Maybe she's just not quite ready for group activities yet.

I saw this on the news and thought "Oh good grief, that girl would have caused my DD to quit dance class." 

My DD was a perfectionist even at 3 and having someone not follow the choreographed routine would have driven her nuts. I hope the instructor can reign in the girl without breaking her spirit.

magician5

« Reply #24028 on: October 24, 2013, 05:48:16 PM »
This video is all over the internet currently:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ab9M_St6bPk

Almost all the comments abut the little girl are positive: about her enthusiasm, cuteness, and show-stealingness.

Honestly, I feel sorry for all the other girls who were trying to stick to their routine.  Especially that girl on the end, she was just about isolated out there and was really doing well, despite the disruption.

They're toddlers, darn it! They're all fairly clueless, and what they've been "trained" to perform is way above their ability to understand or absorb in any useful way. The little "overperformer" is barely able to contain herself because that's the way kids that age are.

I'd watch it again but I can't find a couple of pencils to stick in my eyes.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24029 on: October 24, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »
I was honestly kind of distracted by the little girl on the very end to pay attention to the one I was supposed to pay attention to. She was so cute, trying to follow her choreography (it looked like they might have been following an instructor in the audience), watching the other girls, and she'd look so proud when she got it!