Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5738595 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24060 on: October 26, 2013, 08:12:33 PM »
Sadly, it used to be a quite common attitude that anyone with a physical difference was somehow subhuman and disgusting to be around, and 'normal' people should be protected from having to see a wheelchair, or crutches, or someone with spastic movements.  Karen Killilea was born premature in 1940 and developed cerebral palsy.  Her parents had to take her to 23 doctors before finding one who did not advise sending her to an institution, even though her condition was manageable and her intellectual and emotional development perfectly normal.  She tells of going on an outing with her parents and seeing a group of children from an institution, all using various assistive devices and with various issues.  People around them had no problem talking loudly about how disgusting it was that 'those people' were out in public where they could be seen, and how rude their caregivers were to impose them on everyone else.

Some people have never gotten past this viewpoint.
There was also a mention about people who said that "only wicked, evil people would have a child like that", I guess as a punishment from Deity.  ???
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24061 on: October 26, 2013, 08:25:09 PM »
...   There was also a mention about people who said that "only wicked, evil people would have a child like that", I guess as a punishment from Deity.  ???

They should have been corrected.  They heard it wrong.  It's actually "only wicked, evil people would ever comment negatively about a child like that".

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #24062 on: October 26, 2013, 08:35:33 PM »
Honestly...at 3 I would hate to have a dance moms type teacher and atmosphere.  They are there to start learning basics, not become prima ballerinas.  I thought the video was adorable..she knew how to perform (maybe not what she was supposed to) but she was putting on a show!  To me, at 3 that is progress because they mostly just stand on stage and scream.  I remember my older DD's first soccer coach (before I lost my mind and volunteered).  It was a team of 4-5 yr olds and it was only to start teaching them the basics and the games were no goalie, no score keeping.  When our coach told us parents at a meeting that it was instructional only and his goal was for the kids to learn not to fall while kicking the ball, and that at this age coaching was more like herding cats, a dad got up with a disgusted look and said "What do you mean you don't keep score??  My son is a competitor and I want him on a team that will be competing in real games!"  As the rest of us gaped at him, the coach calmly said he could go to the high school and see if they had a spot on their team.  BTW, kid stayed on the team and spent more time sitting down pulling up grass than 'competing'  ::)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #24063 on: October 27, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »
...   There was also a mention about people who said that "only wicked, evil people would have a child like that", I guess as a punishment from Deity.  ???

They should have been corrected.  They heard it wrong.  It's actually "only wicked, evil people would ever comment negatively about a child like that".

I can't find the Bible passage for the life of me today, because my Google-fu is off-kilter. But at least in the Bible, Jesus says in one of the Gospels that a person's illness is not based on his/her parents' deeds or misdeeds. Personally, people who say nasty things like that are on my "I really don't like you" list (not saying the actual name for it because it involves a bad word).

Vita brevis, ars longa

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24064 on: October 27, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »

I can't find the Bible passage for the life of me today, because my Google-fu is off-kilter. But at least in the Bible, Jesus says in one of the Gospels that a person's illness is not based on his/her parents' deeds or misdeeds. Personally, people who say nasty things like that are on my "I really don't like you" list (not saying the actual name for it because it involves a bad word).

I've been known to call it my "eat worms and die" list...but I have to admit that Snarky and Evil use much pithier terms....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Browyn

« Reply #24065 on: October 27, 2013, 04:14:48 PM »

I think this is the one you want:

John 9:1-3
As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #24066 on: October 27, 2013, 04:56:19 PM »

I think this is the one you want:

John 9:1-3
As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.

Thank you so much! :)

Vita brevis, ars longa

gemma156

« Reply #24067 on: October 27, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »
Could we please move the subject back to special snowflake stories.
Thank you.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #24068 on: October 27, 2013, 07:46:08 PM »
OK..met a few SS's today at ZooBoo.  It is barely 50 degrees, windy and chilly (we had snow on Friday) so some animals at the zoo are not out.  There are signs saying that such and such animal is off display until spring due to weather and I actually heard 2 women complaining that when THEY come to the zoo, THEY expect!!! all the animals to be out for THEM to see (emphasis was their tone).  Well..kimodo dragons and alligators tend to not like freezing temps and some animals do actually hibernate, but these women wanted them out for THEM!!!  They actually complained to a docent who I think, hurt herself when her eyes started rolling at these two.  She explained the weather concept but these two said they paid money to see all the animals..I couldn't wait to get away from them.  Then there was the grandfather (I think) with 2 boys about 9-10 years old who held up the lines through the walk through Halloween displays and haunted house by making the boys stand next to every blessed display for pictures and when you would try to say excuse me and go past he would block the way while he tried to be Ansel Adams.  Then there was the family with a young couple (possibly late teens), their little girl (maybe 2) and the boys parents.  GrandDad was just beyond pleased with taking his grand daughter to the zoo so he loudly proclaimed at every animal "Coco, look Coco, Look at the rhino.  It is a baby and mommy Coco.  Look at them Coco.  Coco, are people in the way so you can't see?  Grandpa will let you see Coco, you are a baby Coco, people should let you up front Coco"  Let me tell you I was stuck with this family through half the zoo (finally lost them at the food area) and Coco couldn't have cared less about anything other than picking her nose and making faces at the other kids.  I heard one other parent mutter he was going to be hearing that guys voice in his sleep   ;D.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24069 on: October 27, 2013, 08:02:17 PM »
OK..met a few SS's today at ZooBoo.  It is barely 50 degrees, windy and chilly (we had snow on Friday) so some animals at the zoo are not out.  There are signs saying that such and such animal is off display until spring due to weather and I actually heard 2 women complaining that when THEY come to the zoo, THEY expect!!! all the animals to be out for THEM to see (emphasis was their tone).  Well..kimodo dragons and alligators tend to not like freezing temps and some animals do actually hibernate, but these women wanted them out for THEM!!!  They actually complained to a docent who I think, hurt herself when her eyes started rolling at these two.  She explained the weather concept but these two said they paid money to see all the animals..I couldn't wait to get away from them.  Then there was the grandfather (I think) with 2 boys about 9-10 years old who held up the lines through the walk through Halloween displays and haunted house by making the boys stand next to every blessed display for pictures and when you would try to say excuse me and go past he would block the way while he tried to be Ansel Adams.  Then there was the family with a young couple (possibly late teens), their little girl (maybe 2) and the boys parents.  GrandDad was just beyond pleased with taking his grand daughter to the zoo so he loudly proclaimed at every animal "Coco, look Coco, Look at the rhino.  It is a baby and mommy Coco.  Look at them Coco.  Coco, are people in the way so you can't see?  Grandpa will let you see Coco, you are a baby Coco, people should let you up front Coco"  Let me tell you I was stuck with this family through half the zoo (finally lost them at the food area) and Coco couldn't have cared less about anything other than picking her nose and making faces at the other kids.  I heard one other parent mutter he was going to be hearing that guys voice in his sleep   ;D.
I ran into those women but they were complaining that the animals weren't out because it was over 100 and why wasn't the zoo doing something to cool off the zoo. The Houston Zoo has cooling misting fans around, most of the pathways are in the shade of old oak trees.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

HoneyBee42

« Reply #24070 on: October 27, 2013, 08:10:56 PM »
Snowflake-oblivious.

Today, I stopped off at the grocery store on my way back from the gym.  On the way in, people can get carts (I didn't because I was only getting a couple items) and there's a stand where you can pick up an extra sales flyer.

So I'm following a couple who are walking in, and she takes a cart and starts pushing it, and then he grabs a flyer.  Neither of those things would make them snowflakey, but their next move is to push the cart crosswise across the entire entrance and *stop dead* to peruse the flyer.  And then give me a dirty look and a huge sigh from her when I said "excuse me".   Seriously, if there were another entrance, I would use it.  But expecting everyone to wait while you block the only way into the store--snowflakey.

greencat

« Reply #24071 on: October 27, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »

Snarky me would have made a well-meaning sounding suggestion that the first two ladies donate enough money to the zoo for them to build a climate controlled enclosure for the cold-sensitive critters.

I've previously lingered in an area longer than I wanted to in order to allow an annoying group to get far enough ahead of me to be out of earshot.

In special snowflakes:  I would like to present to you, my dog.  Lately he has wanted out a lot more than usual and I was getting concerned about his digestive and urinary tracts.  Today I figured out the real reason - he doesn't actually need to go out.  He just wants to go out...because my backyard has attracted new! different! not the ones he has inside! kitties.  Again.  I don't know why my yard, with no food, and frequently with a dog, is so attractive to the local stray cats.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #24072 on: October 27, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »
Snipping the quote tree:

For those saying you shouldn't drive a stick on the roads until you're completely ready, that's not possible.  There are things that you can never "practice" for until you're on the road and in the situation.  I practiced and practiced with my dad in the local elementary school's parking lot, but still had problems on the roads until I got the feeling for it. 

Such as? Yes, of course, new drivers might have duh moments, but by and large you (general) should be competent enough at the point where you pass your test to handle your car properly on the road in all kinds of conditions and situations. (However, as I'm discovering on the other thread, all driving tests are not created equal.)

I've been driving stick for 16 years - I still stall occasionally if borrowing an unfamiliar car. That doesn't mean it's unsafe for me to be on the roads, it just means that whoever's behind me may have to wait a couple of seconds extra while I restart the car.

All part and parcel of driving. Even in countries with mandatory official driving lessons in a manual car (which is the case in Denmark).

I occasionally stall my car, and that's a car I've driven since 1997.  I've been driving stick since 1978 or so.  It happens to all of us driving stick, usually at the most inopportune times (the last time it happened I had just made a comment to Mr. Sirius about my years of driving.  Bless him, he didn't say a word.)

andi

« Reply #24073 on: October 27, 2013, 10:44:33 PM »
Snowflake-oblivious.

Today, I stopped off at the grocery store on my way back from the gym.  On the way in, people can get carts (I didn't because I was only getting a couple items) and there's a stand where you can pick up an extra sales flyer.

So I'm following a couple who are walking in, and she takes a cart and starts pushing it, and then he grabs a flyer.  Neither of those things would make them snowflakey, but their next move is to push the cart crosswise across the entire entrance and *stop dead* to peruse the flyer.  And then give me a dirty look and a huge sigh from her when I said "excuse me".   Seriously, if there were another entrance, I would use it.  But expecting everyone to wait while you block the only way into the store-
-snowflakey.

Oh - I see the we shop at the same store. Had the same thing happen earlier this week twice!!

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24074 on: October 27, 2013, 10:55:59 PM »
Snowflake-oblivious.

So I'm following a couple who are walking in, and she takes a cart and starts pushing it, and then he grabs a flyer.  Neither of those things would make them snowflakey, but their next move is to push the cart crosswise across the entire entrance and *stop dead* to peruse the flyer.  And then give me a dirty look and a huge sigh from her when I said "excuse me".   Seriously, if there were another entrance, I would use it.  But expecting everyone to wait while you block the only way into the store-
-snowflakey.

Oh - I see the we shop at the same store. Had the same thing happen earlier this week twice!!

I must shop at the store where their kids shop. I haven't seen anyone block the entrance yet but there have been days when everyone stopped with their cart exactly perpendicular in the aisle , why would you do that its not even remotely practical to them to turn the cart 90 degrees look at items then turn it back so they can move. Bonus point to the woman who park their perpendicular in the meat isle and then stand in front on them bending into the meat case effectively blocking an isle more then 3 carts wide.