Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5229424 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24090 on: October 28, 2013, 07:28:56 PM »
And these kinds of stories make me A-Okay with the fact that there are no Ikeas within about a 2 hour drive from us.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lilfox

« Reply #24091 on: October 28, 2013, 07:33:08 PM »
Oh My, FRH Chick!  And I thought I had it bad when I made the same decision as you a few weeks ago - skipped the queue at the self-check to get behind the one couple at the next (manned) register over who were, I thought, mostly done checking out.

Except that one couple (who, it should be said, were not Snowflakes) had so many little things that the checking out went on, and on, and on.  And then!  Their transaction exceeded the limit of items that could be bought in a single transaction.  I didn't even know the limit existed, and neither did the cashier who had to wait on another (more senior) cashier to explain what was going on and why it wouldn't ring up anything else.  That was when I switched back to the now-even-longer self checkout queue.  I still made it out before that couple did.  If they had been arguing or complaining over it or making sorties to get more stuff like in Hippy Chick's situation, that would make them SS.  Instead they just had a staggeringly large order.

The moral is: never skip the self-checkout.  There's a reason people go to the staffed registers and it's rarely a quick one.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #24092 on: October 28, 2013, 07:59:05 PM »
Re: FRHC's story

And that is why I will never ever go into an IKEA unless under pain of death.  Not the checkout part but the overflow of people happens every time I go there.  That + claustrophobia + hearing sensitivity that comes and goes... I'd rather cut off both ears, thanks.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #24093 on: October 28, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
I'm very lucky that there are 2 equidistant from me.  I also tend to go during "off" hours and so can get in and out pretty quickly if I time it right. 

andi

« Reply #24094 on: October 28, 2013, 09:54:39 PM »
Oops - sorry - I had a moment. No idea what I was going to say ....  Of to get a cookie

Sebastienne

« Reply #24095 on: October 28, 2013, 10:49:05 PM »
I love IKEA things; I hate going to IKEA because the combination of the layout, the people, and the fact that The Only Thing I Want (in Swedish: Låkönli) will inevitably be out of stock when I get down to the warehouse, turns me into a terrible person. IKEA is consumer hell.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24096 on: October 28, 2013, 10:51:18 PM »
Referring back to my right rear brake light and turn signal assembly (which has no wiring harness) - found that it is $50 and a five day wait for delivery from Pep Boys (warehouse several states away) or $40 (with wiring harness) at the second closest auto salvage yard around where we live (closer to VorGuy's work than the closer one - which is closer to the house).  Saturn parts are not easily found now that there is no Saturn car company...

But the new part was found, bought, the old one removed (ten minutes - part of the time spent looking for the * screwdriver with six points), the new one clipped into the electrical system to check for working light bulbs (replaced the one burnt out bulb with one from the one missing the red clear plastic cover), and then spent about an hour wrestling with it to get both screws into place where they would hit the appropriate hole.

They needed to go in at an angle and the plastic assembly had small wells that were NOT set up to make it easy to get the danged screw in at an angle.  But it is done and we have a working, weather proof (again) brake & turn signal again. 

Although VorGuy might decide to let a repair shop do the installation the next time that happens, if it ever does.  I was assuming that there was a very slight "crumple" to the metal that was keeping the new plastic parts from lining up perfectly...but I didn't see any difference between the two parts - other than the missing clear plastic cover (in red & white) to protect the light bulbs....

But I know exactly how much of a SS the person was for running off without leaving any contact information...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24097 on: October 28, 2013, 11:00:16 PM »
At least at the IKEA near me, it is possible to skip all the floor layouts and go straight to the housewares. I think you pretty much go up to the second floor (where all the show stuff is) and then quickly turn and go right down the stairs that take you to the housewares.

It doesn't help with the checkout lines, of course, but at least it gets you to them faster with (presumably) fewer headaches.

Amara

« Reply #24098 on: October 28, 2013, 11:17:21 PM »
I hope the mods will allow a very brief off-topic detour. On the matter of IKEA, I would like to know why you can't turn around and go back the way you came. It sounds like you can't but I cannot figure out why. What's stopping you? (I've never been in one.)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #24099 on: October 28, 2013, 11:32:04 PM »
I hope the mods will allow a very brief off-topic detour. On the matter of IKEA, I would like to know why you can't turn around and go back the way you came. It sounds like you can't but I cannot figure out why. What's stopping you? (I've never been in one.)

I'm not sure what you mean ... the IKEAs I've been in have a big maze-like showroom where you walk by lots of  "rooms" of furniture, which then leads you to the warehouse/shopping area.  I don't know why you couldn't turn around and leave if you chose to.  There's usually a shortcut if you don't want to walk through the showroom.

Sebastienne

« Reply #24100 on: October 29, 2013, 12:13:27 AM »

The entrance/exits take you on completely different paths. The entrance for every IKEA I've ever been to involves taking an escalator up at least one floor to the showroom-maze, where you follow a kind of winding trail through sample rooms of merchandise. Even a brisk walk through the showroom, following the posted shortcuts, is going to take you at a minimum 10 - 15 minutes. At the bottom is the warehouse, where you load up your flat-pack boxes of furniture to assemble at home, followed by an area full of decorations and housewares (although housewares--particularly kitchen items--are also scattered throughout the showroom and may not be in this section), and the checkout/returns area.

So you can go in the exit, but you'll probably have a much more difficult time finding what you want. You might not find out the thing you want is out of stock until you've gone through the whole store.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #24101 on: October 29, 2013, 12:32:37 AM »
At ours, there are shortcuts, but you have to find a store map or ask a sales person to notice them.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hillia

« Reply #24102 on: October 29, 2013, 12:34:40 AM »
The aisles in the maze are purposely narrow, so if you were to try to turn around and go against traffic, you'd have a terrible time and make life very difficult for those coming behind you.  The aisles are really only about 2-2.5 people-widths wide, so there's just no space for someone swimming against the current.  The little display rooms are cul-de-sacs; if you should foolishly walk into one to take a closer look at the sofa or bookcase or whatever, it's like trying to enter the freeway at rush hour to get back on the path.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

marcel

« Reply #24103 on: October 29, 2013, 12:44:19 AM »
I simply stick to the main rule of IKEA: Do not go on weekends, weekdays after 3 (wednesday 12 because primary schools are out then in The Netherlands), or school holidays.

I just bought a house and spend a lot of time at IKEA, last week was a school holiday and then i realised I forgot the last part, for the rest my shopping experiences there are great.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

greencat

« Reply #24104 on: October 29, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
Special Snowflake of the Day at work:

This is a real chat support question I dealt with today.  I used find and replace to remove my name, the snowflake's name, and references to my workplace (CID stands for College ID in my chat - it's not actually what we call our student ID numbers, but you get the idea.)

Special Snowflake:
how can i create an account?
Welcome Special Snowflake! Your request has been directed to the (department Greencat works in). Please wait for our operator to answer your call.
Call accepted by operator Greencat. Currently in room: Greencat, Special Snowflake.
Greencat:
Good morning
Special Snowflake:
hi
Greencat:
An account for what?
Special Snowflake:
the COLLEGE E-mail
Special Snowflake:
the COLLEGE Mascot Email
Greencat:
Please log on to the MyCOLLEGE portal, click the Mascot email link on the left hand side, and then click the create account button.
Greencat:
You must log into the portal first.  That step is vital.
Special Snowflake:
do i click sign on for the myCOLLEGE portal?

Red Alert!  Red Alert!  This person has never interacted with this page before.  This does not bode well for the conversation.

Greencat:
That is how you log in to the portal.
Special Snowflake:
 then it is asking for my CID and password
Greencat:
Yes
Special Snowflake:
what is a CID?

Mayday!  Mayday!  As soon as your application to my college is processed, they send you an email telling you about this "CID," and how to retrieve it  This person, at best, submitted their application over the weekend, and it hasn't been processed yet.  Note that I said "at best."

Greencat:
Did you apply to COLLEGE?
Special Snowflake:
not yet
Greencat:
I'm sorry, those email address are for admitted COLLEGE students only.
Special Snowflake:
u were very nice helping me
Greencat:
Thank you for contacting the COLLEGE (department where I work). I hope you have a pleasant day.
Special Snowflake:
i like you
Special Snowflake is now off-line and may not reply. Currently in room: Greencat.

I was very, very, very confused by the end of the conversation.  I was afraid it was going to veer off into eye-bleach territory, but fortunately the Snowflake just logged off.

If you're wondering why this person is a Special Snowflake, realize that he was asking how to create an account that identified him as a student of a college where he hadn't even submitted an application!