Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5750734 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24180 on: November 01, 2013, 01:23:35 AM »
Is possible to have a split off thread for the SS driving stories?

I actually don't mind having them here.  I can't drive but I like hearing about them.
If you go back and look, I would venture to guess that you would find that at least half the stories in this thread are about SS drivers.  This is the correct place for them.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Garden Goblin

« Reply #24181 on: November 01, 2013, 01:54:44 AM »
POD to BarensMom, as well as Diane AKA Traska. A 13-year-old should know that pointing any kind of weapon, real or fake, at a cop, is a stupid idea. Refusing to stand down makes it monumentally stupid. As tragic as that boy's death is, he should have put the toy down.

Unfortunately, the police officers did not accord him enough time to do so.  There is also apparently considerable question as to whether the gun was actually pointed at the officers at any time.   It appears there was monumental stupidity on both sides of the equation. 

Garden Goblin

« Reply #24182 on: November 01, 2013, 01:57:22 AM »
This Halloween, apparently, a mom in North Dakota decided to give out 'stern' letters to kids she felt were overweight.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #24183 on: November 01, 2013, 02:04:00 AM »
This Halloween, apparently, a mom in North Dakota decided to give out 'stern' letters to kids she felt were overweight.

There is a thread about that. But I will agree, what an SS.
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=130740.0

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #24184 on: November 01, 2013, 02:36:05 AM »

There is a thread about that. But I will agree, what an SS.
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=130740.0

Or would be, were it not a hoax
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24185 on: November 01, 2013, 06:07:42 AM »
I have had a few SS salespeople.  One guy came up behind me in a mall as I was walking, head down a bit looking at my cell phone trying to figure out where X store was to buy a specific present for someone. I'm a surgical-strike kind of person.  I know what I want, how much it'll be, in and out and gone to the next place.  I also don't go to malls until I have at least a few places to stop so - I have a plan.  This guy comes up behind me, grabs my elbow- nearly made me drop my phone - and when I whipped around, he says, "Since you refuse to say hello, the least you can do is come over and look at my lotions! You could really use some!"  I came very, very close to hitting him, and I could certainly make an argument for legally being able to do so.  Instead, I looked him in the eye and said, "Let go!"  (He didn't, and I followed up with this, in the middle of which he did let go): "I am going to file a complaint against you for grabbing my arm like that.  You never, ever touch a person without their explicit permission.  I didn't hear you trying to flag me down.  I'm deaf.  I HOPE you get fired."   For the record, I know I was abrupt and rude in saying what I said, but I was a bit frightened and angry. I did follow that up with a prompt visit to the mall security office, where I filed a complaint against that guy.   The security officer told me that the mall has at least one complaint a week about someone (not just that stall) grabbing or otherwise stopping guests. 

Another time a woman came up to me with a perfume bottle and proceeded to spray me in the face with it, twittering on about how it was a lovely seasonal scent and I'd be the hit of the party, blah blah.  I honestly don't know what else she was saying, because I was too busy pawing at my face.  I'm allergic to something that's in a lot of perfumes, and I was having a reaction.  I didn't speak to her then, but after washing my face in a bathroom, I did file a complaint against her with mall security, then to the company itself.  Never really heard back from the company other than a form letter. 

Wow.  Someone grabbing my arm and refusing to let go?  I'd be calling the cops.  I'd consider calling the cops on the perfume lady, too.  If mall security or their employers won't do anything, I'm sure an assault and battery charge would smarten them right up in a hurry.
I am pretty sure that spaying anything in someone's face without permission is illegal (with exceptions for self defence). If it happened to me I would probably
1. Knock the person's block off
2. Go into a full blown asthma attack
3. Press criminal charges against the the person
4. Suing the person, their company, and the mall for my medical expenses.

People grabbing me on the arm has resulted in
1. Me doing a defensive break move
2. Me screaming DO NOT TOUCH ME very loudly
3. My telling them off when they say "Calm down I'm just trying to get your attention" and in the case of lotion sample people  that will include a teacher voice explanation that their product is horrible and will blister my skin causing severe pain.

I've complained about people like this to mall management I always use "loaded" language like "I was assaulted by lotion person at this time. (I've also included photographs of the resulting skin reaction. I conclude by asking they rethink leasing to a company that has a marketing plan that starts and finishes with assaulting people. I've noticed a reduction in those groups and increase in remote airplanes flying down the mall corridors.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24186 on: November 01, 2013, 06:22:52 AM »
I had a kid in the apartment complex point his paint ball gun in my face. I didn't even register the orange tip until after I had knocked the thing out of my face and grabbed it from him. His parents complained to the management and a cop that lived in the complex got involved. Upshot was they were told
1. He had pointed a "loaded" weapon in my face. Had he shot the paintball at me at that range I would have been seriously injured.

2. I didn't hurt him

3. He and his friends had vandalized the complex by shooting past each other and hitting the building. (Seriously the management had kicked out another family over sidewalk chalk - paint balls hitting the building not a good idea)

4. He was very lucky that the person he did this to was not one of several residents that carried guns as part of their jobs.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

poundcake

« Reply #24187 on: November 01, 2013, 07:33:14 AM »
I've noticed a reduction in those groups and increase in remote airplanes flying down the mall corridors.

Ugh, the remote helicopters and airplanes! There is a mall near me where they take outward delight in launching those things right in front of your face. Since I never see anyone react with anything but annoyance and anger, and I have never seen any of these things sell, I can only assume they are getting paid to be part of a mall obstacle course.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24188 on: November 01, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »
I nominate the SS in the SUV who doesn't know how rude it is to beep your horn to get people to come out. Particularly early in the morning or late at night.

Nomination also goes to the people who have loud conversations underneath our window early on weekend mornings.

mmswm

« Reply #24189 on: November 01, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »
I nominate my dog this morning.  He was 140 pounds of over-excited "puppy", demanding belly rubs and breakfast. At 5am.

More seriously, as to the toy guns: Cops have to make split second life or death decisions.  Pointing even a toy gun at a cop and not expecting them to react quickly and strongly is a really bad idea.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24190 on: November 01, 2013, 09:11:10 AM »
Speaking of SS drivers..

This morning I was heading in to work, on a 2 lane rural highway with a speed limit of 45 that eventually increases to 55.

There was a car in the opposing lane that was apparently not going fast enough for the SS behind it. So what does SS do? Passes it. Which would've been fine, because they were in a passing zone. Except that I and another car were in the lane that SS driver swerved into to pass the slow car. The car in front of me had to slam on the brakes to avoid a head-on collision with SS driver, who quickly swerved back into their lane around the slower car, nearly hitting me and almost clipping the slower car in the process because they swerved back so quickly that they nearly lost control and fishtailed.

mmswm

« Reply #24191 on: November 01, 2013, 09:13:16 AM »
Speaking of SS drivers..

This morning I was heading in to work, on a 2 lane rural highway with a speed limit of 45 that eventually increases to 55.

There was a car in the opposing lane that was apparently not going fast enough for the SS behind it. So what does SS do? Passes it. Which would've been fine, because they were in a passing zone. Except that I and another car were in the lane that SS driver swerved into to pass the slow car. The car in front of me had to slam on the brakes to avoid a head-on collision with SS driver, who quickly swerved back into their lane around the slower car, nearly hitting me and almost clipping the slower car in the process because they swerved back so quickly that they nearly lost control and fishtailed.

I had something similar happen to me Sunday afternoon.  On the 7 Mile Bridge in the Lower Keys.  Thankfully I was able to brake in time and there was nobody behind me, but that was a really stupid move on any bridge, let alone that one.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #24192 on: November 01, 2013, 09:48:47 AM »
Yesterday at the independent pharmacy I trade at...The SS that parked in the entrance driveway! 

There were several parking slots open when I arrived so I don't know if there weren't any available when Snowflake arrived or if they were just too special to park where allowed and had to block an entryway.  There was also parking on the side street available also.

I complained inside twice but I doubt that anything was done - I said you have someone towed a time or two for doing that and believe me it will stop, your reputation gets around town.  And it will also make them think twice before creating their own special snowflake parking place.

z_squared82

« Reply #24193 on: November 01, 2013, 09:56:25 AM »
Speaking of SS drivers..

I had something similar happen to me Sunday afternoon.  On the 7 Mile Bridge in the Lower Keys.  Thankfully I was able to brake in time and there was nobody behind me, but that was a really stupid move on any bridge, let alone that one.

I've driven that bridge. And got caught behind an accident that had it blocked for hours. You are very correct, dumb donkey move.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #24194 on: November 01, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »
Someone else who thinks Halloween decorations are scary.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/life-style/family-entertainment/halloween-shop-displays-too-scary-for-some-20131011-2vdf8.html#utm_source=FD&utm_medium=lifeandstylepuff&utm_campaign=scary

Funny thing is, Halloween isn't that big here so the decorations are rather token.

Wonder if "her kid" gets upset at seeing pictures of women in their underwear at clothing stores. After all, those are family stores too...
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!