Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5535730 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24345 on: November 09, 2013, 09:32:26 PM »
Oh my goodness.... I am with VorFemme.  laughing so hard I can't breathe.

I agree.  That story almost made me laugh off the back of my lap.

However, I do have a serious question.  Was there a baby at home?

Snarky & Evil will give you pretty good odds that there wasn't.  They do tend to the cynical...

I'm with Snarky and Evil!

magician5

« Reply #24346 on: November 10, 2013, 02:10:50 AM »
A GOOD SS:

I just came out of 4 days in hospital. A systemic infection had made me weak and seriously clouded my mind. Between those problems and those awful hospital beds (they only fold where people don't bend) and strange surroundings, I couldn't even get out of bed by myself.

My neighbor was a 91-year-old Hispanic man who was determined to do exactly as he pleased. He'd get up and wander the halls on unsteady feet, which sent the staff scurrying to bring him back. Then, as soon as they got him back in bed, and they left, he'd take another trip, which started the commotion again. Not good for my sleep. He'd leave the TV on all night on the most horrid cable channel (I learned all about "as seen on TV" products, sleazy lawyers, televangelists and celebrity gossip) but thankfully, being mostly deaf, he didn't turn the sound on.

Sadly, bilingual people were not common on the staff. We all (staff and I) agreed that most of his restlessness came from being incredibly bored and also not entirely sure why he was there. I helped with a little Spanish (a little is all I have), and that resulted in his being provided a good chair so he could sit out in the hall watching the passing people. He finally got some sleep in the chair, I finally got another chair and sat in the hall too so I could get some sleep (studying ceiling tiles is BORING!) and I opined that when I get to 91, with my personality and stubbornness, I'm likely to be just like him.

He was annoying, but he made my stay tolerable.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 02:16:12 AM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

greencat

« Reply #24347 on: November 10, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »
Parking garage SS:

I was waiting behind another car, who was waiting for the vehicle in front of them to move.  I saw the reverse lights of the vehicle on the rear passenger side of the car ahead of me come on - there was about 3 feet between the back of their parked car and the side of the trunk of the car ahead of me.  The car in the parking spot started to move back.  I honked when they got about a foot and a half from the car behind them.  They stopped.  They started backing up again.  I honked when they were 8" or so from the car ahead of me.  They stopped.  They started moving again.  They were about 3" away from the car ahead of me and I laid on my horn.  They stopped.  They then backed up again - into the other car.  I saw the car in front of me jiggle a little bit, and as the car backing out of the parking spot stopped and pulled forward at that point, they clearly knew their backward progress had been impeded.  The drivers of both cars got out, and started talking.  As expected, the driver of the car ahead of me came around to my window, and told me:

"The guy claims that he didn't hit me!  That he didn't feel anything!"

My gasted was flabbered.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #24348 on: November 10, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »
I had a lovely scare at work today. I was sitting outside eating lunch. SS decided to walk into traffic holding her kid's hand and talking on a cellphone, without checking for cars. Someone in a pickup truck had to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting SS. SS marched to the passenger side window, waved her arms around, pressed her face against the glass and yelled "WHAT THE HELL! WHY DON'T YOU LOOK WHERE YOU GOING! YOU ALMOST RAN ME OVER, FEMALE DOG! *to phone* Hold on a second, I'm gonna have to set down the phone down SO I CAN SHOOT THIS LADY!"  :o The pickup driver wisely drove away from the crazy lady. SS marched down the sidewalk yelling into her phone "What the hell is wrong with that female dog! She almost ran me over with her truck! Who does she think she is, barreling through the parking lot! Don't she see I'm a pedestrian trying to cross! And hello, can't she see I'm trying to have a conversation on my phone! I shouldn't have to watch out for her crazy a_s driving *turns to kid* Oh, I'm sorry,honey, that you almost got ran over by that lady who don't know how to drive."  I was going to call 911 if she'd actually pulled out a gun.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 09:05:41 PM by TeamBhakta »

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #24349 on: November 10, 2013, 10:38:57 PM »
I nominate my Dad based on a recent conversation we had. 

Dad:   Oh by the way you know cousin Mike is getting married next year
Me:     Yes I heard, but I also heard we're not invited
Dad:   What?
Me:     Yes I may be wrong but <Mike's sister> told <my sister> that they're just doing something small so not including all of the cousins etc
Dad:   Oh that's a shame.   I wonder if it's about money?    I should call them and offer to pay for all of our plates. 
Me:     I'm not sure if that's a good idea, they've probably already picked their venue so it might have a limit on headcount.

In his defense, he is a little bit wealthier than his relatives so does pay for things from time to time, for example taking Mike's parents (his sister and her husband) on vacation with him etc, which they appreciate, so from his perspective if it's a simple matter of finance then he should be able to fix it.     But given Mike and his fiance have probably agreed on who they want to attend their wedding - most like in consultation with Mike's fiance's family who she is very close to - I don't think calling and insisting that they should invite our whole family is reasonable, particularly given we don't know the actual situation e.g. who is going to be invited and the size of the wedding.    Did I mention that I have several siblings, plus our spouses and children, so inviting us isn't just an extra couple, we're talking about an extra 15 people!    :)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #24350 on: November 11, 2013, 01:06:26 AM »
Oh my goodness.... I am with VorFemme.  laughing so hard I can't breathe.

I agree.  That story almost made me laugh off the back of my lap.

However, I do have a serious question.  Was there a baby at home?

I want to know, too!  The way the "baby" is in quotes makes me think that it was just an excuse... but it just seems like such an idiotic excuse to use if it isn't true.

KB

« Reply #24351 on: November 11, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »
I had a lovely scare at work today. I was sitting outside eating lunch. SS decided to walk into traffic holding her kid's hand and talking on a cellphone, without checking for cars. Someone in a pickup truck had to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting SS. SS marched to the passenger side window, waved her arms around, pressed her face against the glass and yelled "WHAT THE HELL! WHY DON'T YOU LOOK WHERE YOU GOING! YOU ALMOST RAN ME OVER, FEMALE DOG! *to phone* Hold on a second, I'm gonna have to set down the phone down SO I CAN SHOOT THIS LADY!"  :o The pickup driver wisely drove away from the crazy lady. SS marched down the sidewalk yelling into her phone "What the hell is wrong with that female dog! She almost ran me over with her truck! Who does she think she is, barreling through the parking lot! Don't she see I'm a pedestrian trying to cross! And hello, can't she see I'm trying to have a conversation on my phone! I shouldn't have to watch out for her crazy a_s driving *turns to kid* Oh, I'm sorry,honey, that you almost got ran over by that lady who don't know how to drive."  I was going to call 911 if she'd actually pulled out a gun.

I think you probably should have called them anyway!  :o

nuit93

« Reply #24352 on: November 11, 2013, 02:36:01 AM »
I nominate my Dad based on a recent conversation we had. 

Dad:   Oh by the way you know cousin Mike is getting married next year
Me:     Yes I heard, but I also heard we're not invited
Dad:   What?
Me:     Yes I may be wrong but <Mike's sister> told <my sister> that they're just doing something small so not including all of the cousins etc
Dad:   Oh that's a shame.   I wonder if it's about money?    I should call them and offer to pay for all of our plates. 
Me:     I'm not sure if that's a good idea, they've probably already picked their venue so it might have a limit on headcount.

In his defense, he is a little bit wealthier than his relatives so does pay for things from time to time, for example taking Mike's parents (his sister and her husband) on vacation with him etc, which they appreciate, so from his perspective if it's a simple matter of finance then he should be able to fix it.     But given Mike and his fiance have probably agreed on who they want to attend their wedding - most like in consultation with Mike's fiance's family who she is very close to - I don't think calling and insisting that they should invite our whole family is reasonable, particularly given we don't know the actual situation e.g. who is going to be invited and the size of the wedding.    Did I mention that I have several siblings, plus our spouses and children, so inviting us isn't just an extra couple, we're talking about an extra 15 people!    :)

Good on you for preventing your dad from being an extra-special snowflake!

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #24353 on: November 11, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »
I did not witness it but heard about from one of the other waitresses at a place we go to for dinner a couple of times a week. A couple of soccer teams came in to eat, their bill was nearly $200.00 and they tipped $1.00 to the waitress. She was just about in tears she was so upset. With party that large, I am sure that they were her only table or if not, she only had 1-2 other tables for the hour or two that they were there.  I don't know if the manager was going to call the school about it or not, I told her to let me know the info and I would call, that was just outragious.

Our waitresss used to be one of the managers there and she called one of the local high schools to tell them that if they were going to send thier kids down there after early release, to let them know that tipping the wait staff was expected and that trashing the resturant was not acceptable behavor.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24354 on: November 11, 2013, 10:52:13 AM »
I did not witness it but heard about from one of the other waitresses at a place we go to for dinner a couple of times a week. A couple of soccer teams came in to eat, their bill was nearly $200.00 and they tipped $1.00 to the waitress. She was just about in tears she was so upset. With party that large, I am sure that they were her only table or if not, she only had 1-2 other tables for the hour or two that they were there.  I don't know if the manager was going to call the school about it or not, I told her to let me know the info and I would call, that was just outragious.

Our waitresss used to be one of the managers there and she called one of the local high schools to tell them that if they were going to send thier kids down there after early release, to let them know that tipping the wait staff was expected and that trashing the resturant was not acceptable behavor.

That's horrible! Maybe they need to start instituting the instant gratuity for parties over x number.

And good for the waitress!  I did that for one summer, in a not-so-fancy family style restaurant. I can still recall a party of maybe 6 or so, whose bill came to just under $100, and they had me running like a headless chicken. No tip on the table, so I checked with the hostess/cashier to see if they had put one on the cc slip. Nope. I was so angry since I had given great service, and got nothing in return.

Snooks

« Reply #24355 on: November 11, 2013, 04:38:58 PM »

Sorry, but I don't think it had anything to do with you and you certainly shouldn't have been phoning anyone about it, what were you going to say?  It doesn't sound like you were there to witness it.

The waitress did the right thing by giving the school the head's up that their pupils had behaved that way, as long as she didn't expect a tip to be forthcoming after the call.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #24356 on: November 11, 2013, 04:57:13 PM »

Sorry, but I don't think it had anything to do with you and you certainly shouldn't have been phoning anyone about it, what were you going to say?  It doesn't sound like you were there to witness it.

I think that a concerned citizen has the absolute right to raise the issue herself. If you don't want to get involved, then don't, but don't berate Wulfie for taking action.

I could turn it around on you. Wulfie's action didn't affect you at all, you weren't there, so why are you sticking your oar in? If you feel you can take Wulfie to task for her action, then you are exposing yourself to the exact same criticism.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #24357 on: November 11, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »

I think that a concerned citizen has the absolute right to raise the issue herself. If you don't want to get involved, then don't, but don't berate Wulfie for taking action.

I could turn it around on you. Wulfie's action didn't affect you at all, you weren't there, so why are you sticking your oar in? If you feel you can take Wulfie to task for her action, then you are exposing yourself to the exact same criticism.

Add to that the fact that many will not be appropriately ashamed of themselves until they know others know they have something to be ashamed of.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Hillia

« Reply #24358 on: November 11, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »
Not only that there's something to be ashamed of, but that the community in general observes their actions and feels they are not right. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24359 on: November 11, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »
One of my mother's neighbors just accused her of stealing his dog, based on the fact that his dog ran away and someone saw the dog running around *outside* of my mother's fenced front yard. Not in the yard. Outside of it, where there's a ditch between her fence and the road. Mom told him she doesn't have his dog. His response was that he is going to call animal control on her over her dogs, which are well taken care of and do not run loose. He then left with the parting shot of "you'll be hearing from me again".

Mom is very upset, needless to say.