News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 31, 2015, 06:01:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6168016 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24345 on: November 10, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »
I had a lovely scare at work today. I was sitting outside eating lunch. SS decided to walk into traffic holding her kid's hand and talking on a cellphone, without checking for cars. Someone in a pickup truck had to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting SS. SS marched to the passenger side window, waved her arms around, pressed her face against the glass and yelled "WHAT THE HELL! WHY DON'T YOU LOOK WHERE YOU GOING! YOU ALMOST RAN ME OVER, FEMALE DOG! *to phone* Hold on a second, I'm gonna have to set down the phone down SO I CAN SHOOT THIS LADY!"  :o The pickup driver wisely drove away from the crazy lady. SS marched down the sidewalk yelling into her phone "What the hell is wrong with that female dog! She almost ran me over with her truck! Who does she think she is, barreling through the parking lot! Don't she see I'm a pedestrian trying to cross! And hello, can't she see I'm trying to have a conversation on my phone! I shouldn't have to watch out for her crazy a_s driving *turns to kid* Oh, I'm sorry,honey, that you almost got ran over by that lady who don't know how to drive."  I was going to call 911 if she'd actually pulled out a gun.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 09:05:41 PM by TeamBhakta »

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #24346 on: November 10, 2013, 10:38:57 PM »
I nominate my Dad based on a recent conversation we had. 

Dad:   Oh by the way you know cousin Mike is getting married next year
Me:     Yes I heard, but I also heard we're not invited
Dad:   What?
Me:     Yes I may be wrong but <Mike's sister> told <my sister> that they're just doing something small so not including all of the cousins etc
Dad:   Oh that's a shame.   I wonder if it's about money?    I should call them and offer to pay for all of our plates. 
Me:     I'm not sure if that's a good idea, they've probably already picked their venue so it might have a limit on headcount.

In his defense, he is a little bit wealthier than his relatives so does pay for things from time to time, for example taking Mike's parents (his sister and her husband) on vacation with him etc, which they appreciate, so from his perspective if it's a simple matter of finance then he should be able to fix it.     But given Mike and his fiance have probably agreed on who they want to attend their wedding - most like in consultation with Mike's fiance's family who she is very close to - I don't think calling and insisting that they should invite our whole family is reasonable, particularly given we don't know the actual situation e.g. who is going to be invited and the size of the wedding.    Did I mention that I have several siblings, plus our spouses and children, so inviting us isn't just an extra couple, we're talking about an extra 15 people!    :)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #24347 on: November 11, 2013, 01:06:26 AM »
Oh my goodness.... I am with VorFemme.  laughing so hard I can't breathe.

I agree.  That story almost made me laugh off the back of my lap.

However, I do have a serious question.  Was there a baby at home?

I want to know, too!  The way the "baby" is in quotes makes me think that it was just an excuse... but it just seems like such an idiotic excuse to use if it isn't true.

KB

« Reply #24348 on: November 11, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »
I had a lovely scare at work today. I was sitting outside eating lunch. SS decided to walk into traffic holding her kid's hand and talking on a cellphone, without checking for cars. Someone in a pickup truck had to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting SS. SS marched to the passenger side window, waved her arms around, pressed her face against the glass and yelled "WHAT THE HELL! WHY DON'T YOU LOOK WHERE YOU GOING! YOU ALMOST RAN ME OVER, FEMALE DOG! *to phone* Hold on a second, I'm gonna have to set down the phone down SO I CAN SHOOT THIS LADY!"  :o The pickup driver wisely drove away from the crazy lady. SS marched down the sidewalk yelling into her phone "What the hell is wrong with that female dog! She almost ran me over with her truck! Who does she think she is, barreling through the parking lot! Don't she see I'm a pedestrian trying to cross! And hello, can't she see I'm trying to have a conversation on my phone! I shouldn't have to watch out for her crazy a_s driving *turns to kid* Oh, I'm sorry,honey, that you almost got ran over by that lady who don't know how to drive."  I was going to call 911 if she'd actually pulled out a gun.

I think you probably should have called them anyway!  :o

nuit93

« Reply #24349 on: November 11, 2013, 02:36:01 AM »
I nominate my Dad based on a recent conversation we had. 

Dad:   Oh by the way you know cousin Mike is getting married next year
Me:     Yes I heard, but I also heard we're not invited
Dad:   What?
Me:     Yes I may be wrong but <Mike's sister> told <my sister> that they're just doing something small so not including all of the cousins etc
Dad:   Oh that's a shame.   I wonder if it's about money?    I should call them and offer to pay for all of our plates. 
Me:     I'm not sure if that's a good idea, they've probably already picked their venue so it might have a limit on headcount.

In his defense, he is a little bit wealthier than his relatives so does pay for things from time to time, for example taking Mike's parents (his sister and her husband) on vacation with him etc, which they appreciate, so from his perspective if it's a simple matter of finance then he should be able to fix it.     But given Mike and his fiance have probably agreed on who they want to attend their wedding - most like in consultation with Mike's fiance's family who she is very close to - I don't think calling and insisting that they should invite our whole family is reasonable, particularly given we don't know the actual situation e.g. who is going to be invited and the size of the wedding.    Did I mention that I have several siblings, plus our spouses and children, so inviting us isn't just an extra couple, we're talking about an extra 15 people!    :)

Good on you for preventing your dad from being an extra-special snowflake!

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #24350 on: November 11, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »
I did not witness it but heard about from one of the other waitresses at a place we go to for dinner a couple of times a week. A couple of soccer teams came in to eat, their bill was nearly $200.00 and they tipped $1.00 to the waitress. She was just about in tears she was so upset. With party that large, I am sure that they were her only table or if not, she only had 1-2 other tables for the hour or two that they were there.  I don't know if the manager was going to call the school about it or not, I told her to let me know the info and I would call, that was just outragious.

Our waitresss used to be one of the managers there and she called one of the local high schools to tell them that if they were going to send thier kids down there after early release, to let them know that tipping the wait staff was expected and that trashing the resturant was not acceptable behavor.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24351 on: November 11, 2013, 10:52:13 AM »
I did not witness it but heard about from one of the other waitresses at a place we go to for dinner a couple of times a week. A couple of soccer teams came in to eat, their bill was nearly $200.00 and they tipped $1.00 to the waitress. She was just about in tears she was so upset. With party that large, I am sure that they were her only table or if not, she only had 1-2 other tables for the hour or two that they were there.  I don't know if the manager was going to call the school about it or not, I told her to let me know the info and I would call, that was just outragious.

Our waitresss used to be one of the managers there and she called one of the local high schools to tell them that if they were going to send thier kids down there after early release, to let them know that tipping the wait staff was expected and that trashing the resturant was not acceptable behavor.

That's horrible! Maybe they need to start instituting the instant gratuity for parties over x number.

And good for the waitress!  I did that for one summer, in a not-so-fancy family style restaurant. I can still recall a party of maybe 6 or so, whose bill came to just under $100, and they had me running like a headless chicken. No tip on the table, so I checked with the hostess/cashier to see if they had put one on the cc slip. Nope. I was so angry since I had given great service, and got nothing in return.

Snooks

« Reply #24352 on: November 11, 2013, 04:38:58 PM »

Sorry, but I don't think it had anything to do with you and you certainly shouldn't have been phoning anyone about it, what were you going to say?  It doesn't sound like you were there to witness it.

The waitress did the right thing by giving the school the head's up that their pupils had behaved that way, as long as she didn't expect a tip to be forthcoming after the call.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #24353 on: November 11, 2013, 04:57:13 PM »

Sorry, but I don't think it had anything to do with you and you certainly shouldn't have been phoning anyone about it, what were you going to say?  It doesn't sound like you were there to witness it.

I think that a concerned citizen has the absolute right to raise the issue herself. If you don't want to get involved, then don't, but don't berate Wulfie for taking action.

I could turn it around on you. Wulfie's action didn't affect you at all, you weren't there, so why are you sticking your oar in? If you feel you can take Wulfie to task for her action, then you are exposing yourself to the exact same criticism.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

LadyDyani

« Reply #24354 on: November 11, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »

I think that a concerned citizen has the absolute right to raise the issue herself. If you don't want to get involved, then don't, but don't berate Wulfie for taking action.

I could turn it around on you. Wulfie's action didn't affect you at all, you weren't there, so why are you sticking your oar in? If you feel you can take Wulfie to task for her action, then you are exposing yourself to the exact same criticism.

Add to that the fact that many will not be appropriately ashamed of themselves until they know others know they have something to be ashamed of.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Hillia

« Reply #24355 on: November 11, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »
Not only that there's something to be ashamed of, but that the community in general observes their actions and feels they are not right. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24356 on: November 11, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »
One of my mother's neighbors just accused her of stealing his dog, based on the fact that his dog ran away and someone saw the dog running around *outside* of my mother's fenced front yard. Not in the yard. Outside of it, where there's a ditch between her fence and the road. Mom told him she doesn't have his dog. His response was that he is going to call animal control on her over her dogs, which are well taken care of and do not run loose. He then left with the parting shot of "you'll be hearing from me again".

Mom is very upset, needless to say.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24357 on: November 11, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »

The waitress did the right thing by giving the school the head's up that their pupils had behaved that way, as long as she didn't expect a tip to be forthcoming after the call.
I'm of two minds and need a clarification. When you say soccer teams was it official - with the coaches, was it unofficial but the kids were in uniform, or is it a small town the kids weren't in uniform but the staff knows they are on the team?

1. If it was official the ehell needs to be raised with the school and the coaches need to make this right.

2. If the kids were in uniforms but without the adults (as in they left after the game and went out as friends) Then let the school know and they can give some feedback to the kids but it wasn't a school function and the school isn't responsible. Back when I was a Junior in HS there was open lunch for Seniors and the legal drinking age was 18. Many seniors often went to a Ninfa's for lunch. They started getting rowdy and drunk. Hell rained down on them - not ehell but full on trouble. It didn't matter they were 18, they weren't allowed to drink during school hours. They got one warning - then all 6 principals (Building Principal, Building AP, and each Grade Level Principal) showed up and started suspending people. A couple of scholarships were lost.

3. Kids not in uniform but it is a small  town - bypass the school they aren't representing it. The restaurant needs to call the parents and tell them their children banned until they learn to behave properly.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

BarensMom

« Reply #24358 on: November 11, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »
One of my mother's neighbors just accused her of stealing his dog, based on the fact that his dog ran away and someone saw the dog running around *outside* of my mother's fenced front yard. Not in the yard. Outside of it, where there's a ditch between her fence and the road. Mom told him she doesn't have his dog. His response was that he is going to call animal control on her over her dogs, which are well taken care of and do not run loose. He then left with the parting shot of "you'll be hearing from me again".

Mom is very upset, needless to say.

Tell your mother not to worry - AC officers are used to getting "crank" calls from disgruntled neighbors.  As long as your mom's dogs have licenses, are vaccinated, and are obviously well taken care of, she has nothing to worry about.  The officer will then make a note that the neighbor has a habit of "crying wolf."

When Baren got bit by the two dogs last October, the owners tried to say that Baren was the aggressor.  When the officer met Baren, who is clean, well-groomed, well-mannered, and very much an inside dog, versus the two dogs who were unkempt, unlicensed, unvaccinated, and unsocialized, he knew the truth of the matter.

katiescarlett

« Reply #24359 on: November 11, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »
As much as I completely agree with all of you that it was not right, I don't think the school should have been called over the tip.  Behavior of the students (if it was an official school-sanctioned event) yes, but absolutely not over the tip.  I always tip very well, but it is certainly my prerogative on what I tip, and even on whether I tip at all.  I absolutely believe it is wrong not to tip for good service, but it is not a requirement.

While they were certainly not nice about leaving her a dollar, it is the customer's right to decide what to leave and unfortunately, the waitress doesn't get to say anything to the customer about it.

Please, as I know everyone is about to get angry with me, understand that I DO NOT condone this at all, and always, always leave good tips myself.