Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5556128 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24360 on: November 11, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »
I did not witness it but heard about from one of the other waitresses at a place we go to for dinner a couple of times a week. A couple of soccer teams came in to eat, their bill was nearly $200.00 and they tipped $1.00 to the waitress. She was just about in tears she was so upset. With party that large, I am sure that they were her only table or if not, she only had 1-2 other tables for the hour or two that they were there.  I don't know if the manager was going to call the school about it or not, I told her to let me know the info and I would call, that was just outragious.

Our waitresss used to be one of the managers there and she called one of the local high schools to tell them that if they were going to send thier kids down there after early release, to let them know that tipping the wait staff was expected and that trashing the resturant was not acceptable behavor.

Sorry, but I don't think it had anything to do with you and you certainly shouldn't have been phoning anyone about it, what were you going to say?  It doesn't sound like you were there to witness it.

The waitress did the right thing by giving the school the head's up that their pupils had behaved that way, as long as she didn't expect a tip to be forthcoming after the call.
I'm of two minds and need a clarification. When you say soccer teams was it official - with the coaches, was it unofficial but the kids were in uniform, or is it a small town the kids weren't in uniform but the staff knows they are on the team?

1. If it was official the ehell needs to be raised with the school and the coaches need to make this right.

2. If the kids were in uniforms but without the adults (as in they left after the game and went out as friends) Then let the school know and they can give some feedback to the kids but it wasn't a school function and the school isn't responsible. Back when I was a Junior in HS there was open lunch for Seniors and the legal drinking age was 18. Many seniors often went to a Ninfa's for lunch. They started getting rowdy and drunk. Hell rained down on them - not ehell but full on trouble. It didn't matter they were 18, they weren't allowed to drink during school hours. They got one warning - then all 6 principals (Building Principal, Building AP, and each Grade Level Principal) showed up and started suspending people. A couple of scholarships were lost.

3. Kids not in uniform but it is a small  town - bypass the school they aren't representing it. The restaurant needs to call the parents and tell them their children banned until they learn to behave properly.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

BarensMom

« Reply #24361 on: November 11, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »
One of my mother's neighbors just accused her of stealing his dog, based on the fact that his dog ran away and someone saw the dog running around *outside* of my mother's fenced front yard. Not in the yard. Outside of it, where there's a ditch between her fence and the road. Mom told him she doesn't have his dog. His response was that he is going to call animal control on her over her dogs, which are well taken care of and do not run loose. He then left with the parting shot of "you'll be hearing from me again".

Mom is very upset, needless to say.

Tell your mother not to worry - AC officers are used to getting "crank" calls from disgruntled neighbors.  As long as your mom's dogs have licenses, are vaccinated, and are obviously well taken care of, she has nothing to worry about.  The officer will then make a note that the neighbor has a habit of "crying wolf."

When Baren got bit by the two dogs last October, the owners tried to say that Baren was the aggressor.  When the officer met Baren, who is clean, well-groomed, well-mannered, and very much an inside dog, versus the two dogs who were unkempt, unlicensed, unvaccinated, and unsocialized, he knew the truth of the matter.

katiescarlett

« Reply #24362 on: November 11, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »
As much as I completely agree with all of you that it was not right, I don't think the school should have been called over the tip.  Behavior of the students (if it was an official school-sanctioned event) yes, but absolutely not over the tip.  I always tip very well, but it is certainly my prerogative on what I tip, and even on whether I tip at all.  I absolutely believe it is wrong not to tip for good service, but it is not a requirement.

While they were certainly not nice about leaving her a dollar, it is the customer's right to decide what to leave and unfortunately, the waitress doesn't get to say anything to the customer about it.

Please, as I know everyone is about to get angry with me, understand that I DO NOT condone this at all, and always, always leave good tips myself.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24363 on: November 11, 2013, 09:08:18 PM »
How do childrens even learn things if they're not called out on it?

Anyway, I've seen EHellers say it's over the top to call schools on the behaviour of students...

katiescarlett

« Reply #24364 on: November 11, 2013, 09:13:39 PM »
Oh, I definitely agree that they should have been called on their behavior.  However, the manager doesn't get to decide how much anyone tips unless he institutes an automatic gratuity, or he can deny service I suppose.

Really not condoning the no tipping either, just how I feel.  After all tipping is not law and cannot be enforced.  I do tip and feel that waitress should have gotten a hefty one.  Anyway, I won't comment more on this.   :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24365 on: November 11, 2013, 09:21:55 PM »
...   Anyway, I won't comment more on this.   :)

Okay.  Then I will.   :D

If this was an event where the kids were accompanied by coaches or other adults affiliated with the school, then yes, I'd definitely think the school should be notified of what happened there.  The coaches should have been responsible for seeing to it that an appropriate tip was left.  It's an important lesson for the kids they're supervising. 

The only excuse I can possibly think of is that maybe they assumed without looking carefully at the bill that there was an automatic gratuity (for groups of more than x number) already added into the total, so they didn't feel the need to leave more.  The $1 tip that was left may have been left by a kid whose Mom told him he needed to leave a tip.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #24366 on: November 11, 2013, 09:49:04 PM »
The restaurant should call the school if their behavior, while in a uniform identifying the school was unacceptable, but for not tipping?  The school has nothing to do with that as it is not a behavior thing, it is a business thing and kids don't understand tipping.  My 18 yr old DD will still call me and ask how much she should tip when she is out.  As far as the poster calling to complain, no, I don't think she should simply because she was not there, did not see the actions (is only getting second hand info), wouldn't be able to identify any of the kids...nothing that would be helpful.  It would be like me calling our school after the neighbor told me about deplorable behavior of the students at a football game..I wasn't there so I can't say what actually happened other than what I was told by another so the school would not really take me seriously.  Only first hand witnesses will be of any use.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #24367 on: November 11, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »
I was at a fast food restaurant later one evening when a group of about 12 teens came in, all wearing identifiable team shirts.  The two adults sat in a different section and when it was time to go, they simply hollared over to the youth.   The kids got up with nary a hint of cleaning up the smeared ketchup, wrappings, and trash.  They left a MESS!!

I called the school to report what a black eye the members had so obviously left. 

I was thanked, and have not seen such a mess ever left again.  Admittedly, have not seen that same team, but I have seen other teams from that same school, and all was nice and well.

so, so not know if my call mattered, but I like to think it did.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #24368 on: November 11, 2013, 11:57:23 PM »
A very annoying SS waitress at a restaurant today. She kept trying to bait customers in the most random ways, so that she could share "I have a (specific model) motorcycle. I race. It's parked out back." Seriously, every.single.table. She actually trotted over to some frat boys and asked "My friends and I are having a debate. What do you consider manly to be ?....Yeah, beards are manly, I agree. I don't have one, but I ride motorcycles. I guess that makes me a dude without a beard lol I race them. Mine is parked out back. (cue long story about the waitress' boyfriend and her motorcycle hobby)." It was like that episode of the Big Bang Theory where Howard kept bringing up "I went to space." The bike she had actually wasn't that impressive. Evil me was tempted to leave a note on the seat saying "lol @ you bragging about this piece of junk. Lame. I've seen cooler tricycles"  >:D

katiescarlett

« Reply #24369 on: November 12, 2013, 12:03:43 AM »
That waitress does sound annoying, TeamBhakta!

I definitely agree.  Calling the school about the kids' behavior was definitely the right thing to do.  (Okay, sorry, one more comment.  :) )

CuriousParty

« Reply #24370 on: November 12, 2013, 12:34:24 AM »
Many seniors often went to a Ninfa's for lunch. They started getting rowdy and drunk.

Well, that is because Ninfaritas are pure, irresistible, yummy works of the devil.  The kids were powerless in the face of such temptation.

I do not miss much about those years in my life, but I do miss Ninfaritas.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24371 on: November 12, 2013, 01:17:18 PM »
My husband went today and talked to the neighbors about the missing dog. Apparently it was the neighbor's adult son who came down and was being awful to mom about the dog. DH informed the neighbor that Mom is 95 lbs and terminally ill. She can't handle a large, energetic breed of dog like a husky. She can barely manage her small dogs. He said the neighbor had no idea his son had talked to Mom like that, and the neighbor apologized on his son's behalf and said he would talk to him about it.

So hopefully that is the end of it.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24372 on: November 12, 2013, 02:14:58 PM »
Many seniors often went to a Ninfa's for lunch. They started getting rowdy and drunk.

Well, that is because Ninfaritas are pure, irresistible, yummy works of the devil.  The kids were powerless in the face of such temptation.

I do not miss much about those years in my life, but I do miss Ninfaritas.

This made me think of a time when I was the SS.

In my early 20's (late 80s) I was working for a smallish company who was holding an open house for our customers. I suggested Ninfa's for catering and the boss turned everything over to me. When I placed the order I was given the option of either frozen Ninfarita's or regular frozen margaritas. For those unfamiliar, a Ninfarita had not only tequila but a small amount of Everclear. I knew this, but I figured what the heck I love Ninfaritas. I as the person placing the order knew to take it easy with the frozen treats. I didn't think to share this information with our guests or other staff.

The Marketing Manager pulled me asside after an hour concerned that it was apparent several of our clients and the staff were getting smashed. He was not overly thrilled with me, to say the least. He shut down the margarita machine and started pumping lots of fluids and food into the guests and had to stop several from driving. Several people were driven home, others remained for hours and hours after the planned ending time. And many employees didn't make it to work the next day.

The company never held another open house again. But I learned a good lesson about catering.

goldilocks

« Reply #24373 on: November 12, 2013, 02:28:59 PM »
I nominate my Dad based on a recent conversation we had. 

Dad:   Oh by the way you know cousin Mike is getting married next year
Me:     Yes I heard, but I also heard we're not invited
Dad:   What?
Me:     Yes I may be wrong but <Mike's sister> told <my sister> that they're just doing something small so not including all of the cousins etc
Dad:   Oh that's a shame.   I wonder if it's about money?    I should call them and offer to pay for all of our plates. 
Me:     I'm not sure if that's a good idea, they've probably already picked their venue so it might have a limit on headcount.

In his defense, he is a little bit wealthier than his relatives so does pay for things from time to time, for example taking Mike's parents (his sister and her husband) on vacation with him etc, which they appreciate, so from his perspective if it's a simple matter of finance then he should be able to fix it.     But given Mike and his fiance have probably agreed on who they want to attend their wedding - most like in consultation with Mike's fiance's family who she is very close to - I don't think calling and insisting that they should invite our whole family is reasonable, particularly given we don't know the actual situation e.g. who is going to be invited and the size of the wedding.    Did I mention that I have several siblings, plus our spouses and children, so inviting us isn't just an extra couple, we're talking about an extra 15 people!    :)

At least he was going to offer to pay, instead of saying "Oh, they won't mind a few more people!"

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #24374 on: November 12, 2013, 06:01:39 PM »
I nominate my Dad based on a recent conversation we had. 

Dad:   Oh by the way you know cousin Mike is getting married next year
Me:     Yes I heard, but I also heard we're not invited
Dad:   What?
Me:     Yes I may be wrong but <Mike's sister> told <my sister> that they're just doing something small so not including all of the cousins etc
Dad:   Oh that's a shame.   I wonder if it's about money?    I should call them and offer to pay for all of our plates. 
Me:     I'm not sure if that's a good idea, they've probably already picked their venue so it might have a limit on headcount.

In his defense, he is a little bit wealthier than his relatives so does pay for things from time to time, for example taking Mike's parents (his sister and her husband) on vacation with him etc, which they appreciate, so from his perspective if it's a simple matter of finance then he should be able to fix it.     But given Mike and his fiance have probably agreed on who they want to attend their wedding - most like in consultation with Mike's fiance's family who she is very close to - I don't think calling and insisting that they should invite our whole family is reasonable, particularly given we don't know the actual situation e.g. who is going to be invited and the size of the wedding.    Did I mention that I have several siblings, plus our spouses and children, so inviting us isn't just an extra couple, we're talking about an extra 15 people!    :)

At least he was going to offer to pay, instead of saying "Oh, they won't mind a few more people!"

Yes that's true!   The thing with my Dad is he's very much of the "doesn't hurt to ask" mindset.    A lot of people when they first meet him think he's arrogant, but I'd describe it more as cheeky with a touch of the opportunistic.     So from his perspective it's a simple problem solving exercise - I want my whole family to be there, they can't afford to invite us, I'll give them money.     He just didn't stop to think through the complexity of wedding planning and all of the social implications. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"