Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5419478 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24375 on: November 12, 2013, 06:01:39 PM »
I nominate my Dad based on a recent conversation we had. 

Dad:   Oh by the way you know cousin Mike is getting married next year
Me:     Yes I heard, but I also heard we're not invited
Dad:   What?
Me:     Yes I may be wrong but <Mike's sister> told <my sister> that they're just doing something small so not including all of the cousins etc
Dad:   Oh that's a shame.   I wonder if it's about money?    I should call them and offer to pay for all of our plates. 
Me:     I'm not sure if that's a good idea, they've probably already picked their venue so it might have a limit on headcount.

In his defense, he is a little bit wealthier than his relatives so does pay for things from time to time, for example taking Mike's parents (his sister and her husband) on vacation with him etc, which they appreciate, so from his perspective if it's a simple matter of finance then he should be able to fix it.     But given Mike and his fiance have probably agreed on who they want to attend their wedding - most like in consultation with Mike's fiance's family who she is very close to - I don't think calling and insisting that they should invite our whole family is reasonable, particularly given we don't know the actual situation e.g. who is going to be invited and the size of the wedding.    Did I mention that I have several siblings, plus our spouses and children, so inviting us isn't just an extra couple, we're talking about an extra 15 people!    :)

At least he was going to offer to pay, instead of saying "Oh, they won't mind a few more people!"

Yes that's true!   The thing with my Dad is he's very much of the "doesn't hurt to ask" mindset.    A lot of people when they first meet him think he's arrogant, but I'd describe it more as cheeky with a touch of the opportunistic.     So from his perspective it's a simple problem solving exercise - I want my whole family to be there, they can't afford to invite us, I'll give them money.     He just didn't stop to think through the complexity of wedding planning and all of the social implications. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #24376 on: November 13, 2013, 07:46:45 AM »
Quote from: Hmmmmm
This made me think of a time when I was the SS.

In my early 20's (late 80s) I was working for a smallish company who was holding an open house for our customers. I suggested Ninfa's for catering and the boss turned everything over to me. When I placed the order I was given the option of either frozen Ninfarita's or regular frozen margaritas. For those unfamiliar, a Ninfarita had not only tequila but a small amount of Everclear. I knew this, but I figured what the heck I love Ninfaritas. I as the person placing the order knew to take it easy with the frozen treats. I didn't think to share this information with our guests or other staff.

The Marketing Manager pulled me asside after an hour concerned that it was apparent several of our clients and the staff were getting smashed. He was not overly thrilled with me, to say the least. He shut down the margarita machine and started pumping lots of fluids and food into the guests and had to stop several from driving. Several people were driven home, others remained for hours and hours after the planned ending time. And many employees didn't make it to work the next day.

The company never held another open house again. But I learned a good lesson about catering.

That's not being a special snowflake, that's just inexperience. It only would've been special snowflakery if you'd thought, "Well, there's a lot of alcohol in here, but I like it, so to heck with anyone else."

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

katcheya

« Reply #24377 on: November 13, 2013, 04:00:22 PM »
I'm reporting my oldest sister.

Relevant BG on my sister: She's very dramatic, loves to air out her dirty laundry in public, twists the truth around, flat out lies, etc.  /BG

Our cousin got married this Summer.  A few months prior to the wedding, my Oldestsis found out that invitations had gone out, and she hadn't received one.  Cue public flip out on Facebook.  She was so HURT!  She didn't understand why cousin was so MEAN to her!  I mean, she had invited cousin to HER wedding!  Why didn't cousin want my sister to share in her happy day???

First, sister's wedding was in 1993, when cousin was 10 years old.  Second, sister didn't pay for her wedding; my parents did.  Cousin and her fiance are paying for the wedding themselves.  Third, sister got married in a tiny town where prices were MUCH smaller.  Cousin got married in Toronto, Ontario=HUGE overpriced city.  And did I mention the HUGE family?  That's just on her mother's side!  The guest list also had to include the equally large family on her father's side, her fiance's family and their close friends.  The line had to be drawn somewhere.

Knowing cousin, she must have physically felt every cut to the guest list that she had to make.  My twin sister and I were appalled, embarrassed and ashamed by our older sister's behavior.  We weren't invited to the wedding either, but completely understood why!  We both contacted our cousin and let her know as much: she's not made of money, our family is huge, and we knew she would have invited everyone if she could have.  Twinsis and I made it clear that we absolutely did not share Oldersis's sentiments.  Poor kid needed to hear it!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24378 on: November 14, 2013, 07:00:34 PM »
A waitress and former marine was refused a tip on religious grounds.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/new-jersey-waitress-dayne-morales-denied-tip-because-of-gay-lifestyle/story-fnixwvgh-1226760859617

Don't these people realize that acting rude in this way doesn't help or convince anyone? I don't think religion us enough of an excuse to be rude. And it's not the first time it happened.

squeakers

« Reply #24379 on: November 14, 2013, 08:28:15 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/new-jersey-waitress-dayne-morales-denied-tip-because-of-gay-lifestyle/story-fnixwvgh-1226760859617

Don't these people realize that acting rude in this way doesn't help or convince anyone? I don't think religion us enough of an excuse to be rude. And it's not the first time it happened.

How would they even know if she was g@y or not? Just because she had short hair? *SMH* And how does that have anything to do with her waiting on them... if she was g@y did it make her slower or something?

I wish people would just worry more about improving themselves, helping others and improving the world vs wondering and worrying about other people's sexual choices/family decisions/mores and ideals/lives.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24380 on: November 15, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »
My SS boss. She is one of the most entitled people I know. NO rules apply to her. And while its not a rule, its generally understood that your phone is on vibrate while in the office. Everyone does it, and while some may forget every now and again, this one has hers full volume, all the time. She's been asked time and time again to put it on vibrate, it lasts a couple of days, then she's back to her old tricks.

She and this issue are the reason we, as in my entire dept of 4, moved to the other side of the floor as she could not get alont with our in-house travel agent, who sat near us. the two were at odds about the phone, the multiple conversations the boss had (and in turn, she tried to complain abut the TA being on the phone who was simply doing her job).

So ff to today. Boss usually has her phone glued to her body somehwere, but today she wandered off, and left it. And it rang several times in succession (probably her college-aged daughter who will call over and over and over)>

so the woman who sits on the other side of the cube, politely asked her if she could put it on vibrate, as it rang a bunch of times, and is very disruptive and distrubs us all. Boss lady came back wiht well, there are plenty of things that distrub people, and she said well yes, but YOUR phone is particulary disruptive.  Boss lady then said ok, but in that tone of voice where you KNOW she thinks she's being singled out, and she shouldn't have to do this.  And as the other woman walked away, bosslady says "merowwww" as in how catty! 

we all despise boss lady and her boss, my director, is never here, and can't be bothered which is why she gets away with all she does.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24381 on: November 15, 2013, 01:32:44 PM »

How would they even know if she was g@y or not? Just because she had short hair? *SMH* And how does that have anything to do with her waiting on them... if she was g@y did it make her slower or something?

First, yes, all homosexuals (but especially lesbians) are just terrible at waiting tables. Very slow and unhelpful. All of us. Second, of course it's because she had short hair. Only lesbians have short hair. Cutting your hair short automatically makes you a lesbian. Jennifer Lawerence just cut her hair....welcome to the team  >:D.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #24382 on: November 15, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »

First, yes, all homosexuals (but especially lesbians) are just terrible at waiting tables. Very slow and unhelpful. All of us. Second, of course it's because she had short hair. Only lesbians have short hair. Cutting your hair short automatically makes you a lesbian. Jennifer Lawerence just cut her hair....welcome to the team  >:D.

My mother (who has short hair) has been pestering me to cut my hair for most of my life. She also thinks I'm a lesbian. Does that mean she is trying to convince me to come out of the closet? ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24383 on: November 15, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »

My mother (who has short hair) has been pestering me to cut my hair for most of my life. She also thinks I'm a lesbian. Does that mean she is trying to convince me to come out of the closet? ;D

Yes. And also she's a lesbian.

Unfortunately growing your hair back out will not un-lesbian you. At least it hasn't for me...maybe I need it to get longer...

deadbody

« Reply #24384 on: November 15, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »

If your hair is cut short, no wonder the underwear in your hair confused your wife.  You must have long hair to pull that look off. 

Marking that as a definite no on my lesbian radar.  Underwear in the hair means they are straight.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24385 on: November 15, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »

If your hair is cut short, no wonder the underwear in your hair confused your wife.  You must have long hair to pull that look off. 

Marking that as a definite no on my lesbian radar.  Underwear in the hair means they are straight.

Actually...we both have long hair. We might get kicked out the club soon. Though we've each had short hair, I think it's once you're in you're in...I'll have to check the bylaws.

But yes, lets just assume anyone with underwear in the hair is straight. And crazy.

Jones

« Reply #24386 on: November 15, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »
I find this discussion particularly funny as I have never had so many men aggressively hitting on me as they did during the time period after DD was weaned and I had a buzzcut. Yup, post baby body and very short hair...obviously I needed an extra man in my life.

Carotte

« Reply #24387 on: November 15, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »

I think I've heard something about germs too, you know, the kind that will infect you with a love for disco music, will make your chest hair fall (if you're a man) or leg hair grow (for women) and uh, stuff about corrupting the mind of our children was it?

staceym

« Reply #24388 on: November 15, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »

apparently they were not sufficiently warned and prepared to meet lesbians - where is your friend's brunch date when you need her  :D

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #24389 on: November 15, 2013, 02:30:21 PM »
I am a Dorothy Hamill hair worshipper - love, love my short wedge hair

CRUD MONKEYS! now you're telling me that makes me g@y

No wonder I can't catch a man, they must all think like that!  I used to have big Loretta Lynn hair - it still didn't help my man catching abilities...do you think it's me? I'm straight - should I wear a sign?