Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5097302 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24405 on: November 15, 2013, 08:09:32 PM »
A waitress and former marine was refused a tip on religious grounds.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/new-jersey-waitress-dayne-morales-denied-tip-because-of-gay-lifestyle/story-fnixwvgh-1226760859617

Don't these people realize that acting rude in this way doesn't help or convince anyone? I don't think religion us enough of an excuse to be rude. And it's not the first time it happened.

How would they even know if she was g@y or not? Just because she had short hair? *SMH* And how does that have anything to do with her waiting on them... if she was g@y did it make her slower or something?

First, yes, all homosexuals (but especially lesbians) are just terrible at waiting tables. Very slow and unhelpful. All of us. Second, of course it's because she had short hair. Only lesbians have short hair. Cutting your hair short automatically makes you a lesbian. Jennifer Lawerence just cut her hair....welcome to the team  >:D.

So that's how you prepare!!! ;)

Right before my 7th grade year, my mother talked me into getting my hair cut short, and I hated it almost as soon as we walked out of the salon.  I hated it all the more when kids started teasing me about being a lesbian because of the haircut and never having a boyfriend till that point.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #24406 on: November 15, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »
Can we please get back to Special Snowflake stories please?

magician5

« Reply #24407 on: November 15, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »
Speaking of a different gender and a different day, I am old enough to remember the Beatles' first visit to the U.S.

You never heard so many comments like "Are they boys or are they girruls? Hyuk!" - Inside of a year, the American-kid hair-length battle was in its full heat. Redneck buzz cuts vs "those four lovable mop-tops from Liverpool." When the shouting was over, nobody doubted the Beatles' preferences (after so many "he slept with her and then her" articles) and it wouldn't be long before those of a certain class were wearing mullets and those incredibly stupid rat-tails.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:46:39 PM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

PeterM

« Reply #24408 on: November 15, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
Her reply "I dont' play silly games.  I hunt REAL ducks!!"   

she said this several times throughout the evening, as if her being a duck hunter should have been some big deal.

Does she hunt them by jumping out of a plane with nothing but a parachute on her back, a knife in her teeth and black murder in her heart, refusing to open the chute until she's bagged herself a duck in hand to hand combat? If that's not how she does it, I'm not very impressed.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #24409 on: November 16, 2013, 01:26:29 AM »
Speaking of a different gender and a different day, I am old enough to remember the Beatles' first visit to the U.S.

You never heard so many comments like "Are they boys or are they girruls? Hyuk!" - Inside of a year, the American-kid hair-length battle was in its full heat. Redneck buzz cuts vs "those four lovable mop-tops from Liverpool." When the shouting was over, nobody doubted the Beatles' preferences (after so many "he slept with her and then her" articles) and it wouldn't be long before those of a certain class were wearing mullets and those incredibly stupid rat-tails.

DH and I watched Terminator 2 again last night.  I was glad to see they weren't overly burdened by plot . . . or physics . . . but lordy, that 80's hair!  There are some pretty spectacular mullets in that movie!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #24410 on: November 16, 2013, 02:56:22 AM »
I've never had long hair.  When my hair reaches a certain length it starts growing outward instead of down, and I look like I've hit a hot wire.  All it means is that I prefer my hair short. 

I haven't encountered any really memorable Special Snowflakes in awhile.  I hope that doesn't mean I'm about to be buried by a blizzard.

BB-VA

« Reply #24411 on: November 16, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »

My Mama's comment on their first appearance on the Sullivan show:  "They'd be right nice looking  boys if they would just cut their hair."

A young friend, looking at my HS Yearbook for 1968 in the late 1970's, asked if the football team was required to keep their hair that short.  The football team that year had hair longer than the 1964 Beatles.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #24412 on: November 16, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/new-jersey-waitress-dayne-morales-denied-tip-because-of-gay-lifestyle/story-fnixwvgh-1226760859617

Don't these people realize that acting rude in this way doesn't help or convince anyone? I don't think religion us enough of an excuse to be rude. And it's not the first time it happened.

Notice the idea of her being lesbian did not stop them from letting her wait on them.  Same story, new slant.  They are just cheap and insulting.

Momiitz

« Reply #24413 on: November 16, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »
Can we please get back to Special Snowflake stories please?

POD. I'm tired of the hair stories too.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #24414 on: November 16, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »

Notice the idea of her being lesbian did not stop them from letting her wait on them.  Same story, new slant.  They are just cheap and insulting.

That's exactly it, if it were really about religious beliefs they would have left upfront and not dined there.  It was just a SS excuse to be a cheap, nasty person while still making themselves feel as though they had the moral high ground.   "I'm not cheap, just principled!"     By doing so they make others who share their religion look bad by association. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

poundcake

« Reply #24415 on: November 17, 2013, 03:12:02 AM »

That's exactly it, if it were really about religious beliefs they would have left upfront and not dined there.  It was just a SS excuse to be a cheap, nasty person while still making themselves feel as though they had the moral high ground.   "I'm not cheap, just principled!"     By doing so they make others who share their religion look bad by association.

So by their logic, I could refuse to tip a person wearing a cross necklace because I don't agree with their "lifestyle." Which everyone knows is illegal and unconstitutional. See how it works, homophobes?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24416 on: November 17, 2013, 07:59:22 AM »
Sounds like the work of a cheapskate to me. As a pp pointed out, they had no problem with her waiting on them.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Belle

« Reply #24417 on: November 17, 2013, 09:08:14 AM »
I saw a dangerously special snowflake at the gym this week. The gym has an aisle that allows you to walk between two long rows of machines. After I had been on my machine for a while I noticed that one woman had pulled her machine out from her row so that it was blocking the entire aisle and was right against the rowing machine that had (originally) been across the aisle from her (making it unusable). The front of the machine was still about 6-12 inches in the original row, which means you couldn't walk in front of it, either. The aisle is wide enough for walking, but it's not very wide, and certainly not wide enough to allow for a large cross-trainer machine.

I was watching in the reflection of a window, so at first I thought I was seeing it incorrectly. But, no, I wasn't. People wanting to get by her either had to climb on top of and over the rowing machine behind her (coming dangerously close to the back swing of her legs), or they had to step over the back end of the treadmill to her left (which was in use), walk through the space where her machine should have been, then walk over the back end of the treadmill to her right (also in use) in order to get back to the aisle. I'm amazed nobody was hurt. After a few minutes a staff member came up and said something to her, then the staff member struggled to push the machine back while the special snowflake watched. Staff member wasn't strong enough to push it back, so after another minute the snowflake finally helped.

Definitely one of the oddest things I've seen at the gym. I can't imagine why she pulled the machine into the aisle in the first place, or why she didn't think, "Gee, I'm blocking the way," when she saw people climbing over other machines to get around her.

CakeBeret

« Reply #24418 on: November 17, 2013, 11:33:56 AM »
SS "More Important than Rush Hour Traffic"

I started a new temp position about a month ago. I have to drive on Interstate Horrible, which is the only east-west interstate connecting more than half of the metro area, and so is impossible to avoid for most of the metro population. As you can imagine, rush hour traffic is always horrible, even without any accidents or morons.

There are 3 lanes in each direction. I was approaching the I-19 exits. You hit the southbound exit first, and then the northbound exit is about 1/3 mile ahead. As I'm driving past, I see a car reach the northbound exit and pull to the shoulder, so about 1/4 of the car is still sticking out into the lane. The car then throws it into reverse and proceeds to drive backwards the full 1/3 mile to the southbound exit, his car still part of the way into a lane of traffic, at rush hour. I have no idea how the idiot managed to avoid hitting anyone, but by George he made it to the southbound exit. ::)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24419 on: November 17, 2013, 11:49:53 AM »
Definitely one of the oddest things I've seen at the gym. I can't imagine why she pulled the machine into the aisle in the first place, or why she didn't think, "Gee, I'm blocking the way," when she saw people climbing over other machines to get around her.
She probably thought "They can just wait until I'm done."  No idea why she moved it, though.  Maybe she felt crowded by the other machines?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~