Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5415594 times)

Hillia

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24420 on: November 17, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »
They don't have to tip, but unless their refusal is business related (the service was awful), there is absolutely no reason to announce the reason why.  This was just a blatant display of smug self righteousness.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

poundcake

« Reply #24421 on: November 17, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
A waitress and former marine was refused a tip on religious grounds.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/new-jersey-waitress-dayne-morales-denied-tip-because-of-gay-lifestyle/story-fnixwvgh-1226760859617

Don't these people realize that acting rude in this way doesn't help or convince anyone? I don't think religion us enough of an excuse to be rude. And it's not the first time it happened.

Notice the idea of her being lesbian did not stop them from letting her wait on them.  Same story, new slant.  They are just cheap and insulting.

That's exactly it, if it were really about religious beliefs they would have left upfront and not dined there.  It was just a SS excuse to be a cheap, nasty person while still making themselves feel as though they had the moral high ground.   "I'm not cheap, just principled!"     By doing so they make others who share their religion look bad by association.

So by their logic, I could refuse to tip a person wearing a cross necklace because I don't agree with their "lifestyle." Which everyone knows is illegal and unconstitutional. See how it works, homophobes?

There's nothing illegal or unconstitutional about not tipping for any reason.  And the Constitution applies to what the US government can and cannot do, not private citizens.  :)

Then, allow me to clarify, I could [do/not do any action] based on my not agreeing with their Christian lifestyle, and announce it, which could indeed be problematic. Not to mention a jerk move!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24422 on: November 17, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »
A waitress and former marine was refused a tip on religious grounds.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/new-jersey-waitress-dayne-morales-denied-tip-because-of-gay-lifestyle/story-fnixwvgh-1226760859617

Don't these people realize that acting rude in this way doesn't help or convince anyone? I don't think religion us enough of an excuse to be rude. And it's not the first time it happened.

Notice the idea of her being lesbian did not stop them from letting her wait on them.  Same story, new slant.  They are just cheap and insulting.

That's exactly it, if it were really about religious beliefs they would have left upfront and not dined there.  It was just a SS excuse to be a cheap, nasty person while still making themselves feel as though they had the moral high ground.   "I'm not cheap, just principled!"     By doing so they make others who share their religion look bad by association.

So by their logic, I could refuse to tip a person wearing a cross necklace because I don't agree with their "lifestyle." Which everyone knows is illegal and unconstitutional. See how it works, homophobes?

There's nothing illegal or unconstitutional about not tipping for any reason.  And the Constitution applies to what the US government can and cannot do, not private citizens.  :)

Then, allow me to clarify, I could [do/not do any action] based on my not agreeing with their Christian lifestyle, and announce it, which could indeed be problematic. Not to mention a jerk move!

We are in full agreement.

Angel B.

« Reply #24423 on: November 17, 2013, 07:08:18 PM »
Definitely one of the oddest things I've seen at the gym. I can't imagine why she pulled the machine into the aisle in the first place, or why she didn't think, "Gee, I'm blocking the way," when she saw people climbing over other machines to get around her.
She probably thought "They can just wait until I'm done."  No idea why she moved it, though.  Maybe she felt crowded by the other machines?

What I want to know is if she moved it on her own, how did it take two people plus her to move it back???
My greatest treasure is love beyond measure.
-Il barbiere di Siviglia

Jocelyn

« Reply #24424 on: November 17, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »
What I want to know is if she moved it on her own, how did it take two people plus her to move it back???
Because the staff member was not strong enough to move it by herself, even though the SS was. That was what contributed to the SS-ness of the matter- that she was well-capable of putting the machine back, but was just standing there watching the other woman struggle.

parrot_girl

« Reply #24425 on: November 18, 2013, 06:57:53 AM »
Her reply "I dont' play silly games.  I hunt REAL ducks!!"   

she said this several times throughout the evening, as if her being a duck hunter should have been some big deal.

Does she hunt them by jumping out of a plane with nothing but a parachute on her back, a knife in her teeth and black murder in her heart, refusing to open the chute until she's bagged herself a duck in hand to hand combat? If that's not how she does it, I'm not very impressed.
Dear PeterM, I would just like to thank you for making me giggle till I cried. That mental image is warming the cockles of my heart!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24426 on: November 18, 2013, 08:48:07 AM »
SS I don't have to wait

This morning, on a 6 lane road, I saw something that made me gasp. There was a large, extra-long flatbed semi truck with a large generator strapped onto the bed. He had signaled and had clearance to move from the middle lane to the right. He started to move over.

Cue SS IDHTW. She pulled up in her little compact car into the path of the semi as it changed lanes. She must have realized this was a Bad IdeaTM, because she slammed on her brakes a minute before her car would have been made a convertible.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24427 on: November 18, 2013, 08:51:40 AM »

she said this several times throughout the evening, as if her being a duck hunter should have been some big deal.

Does she hunt them by jumping out of a plane with nothing but a parachute on her back, a knife in her teeth and black murder in her heart, refusing to open the chute until she's bagged herself a duck in hand to hand combat? If that's not how she does it, I'm not very impressed.

Wouldn't that be hand to wing combat?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Redsoil

« Reply #24428 on: November 18, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »
Oh no.  She only hunts SUPERDUCKS - the ones with extra appendages and mad martial art skillz.  Anything less wouldn't be a challenge.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24429 on: November 18, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »
Oh no.  She only hunts SUPERDUCKS - the ones with extra appendages and mad martial art skillz.  Anything less wouldn't be a challenge.

So, when served, you can get a wing, a leg, or an arm?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24430 on: November 18, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »

Dear PeterM, I would just like to thank you for making me giggle till I cried. That mental image is warming the cockles of my heart!

Does she hunt them with Elmer Fudd? 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #24431 on: November 18, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
Something similar happened to me recently.   

Background:  I live in a part of the US where lots of women hunt.   Usually with their husbands or fathers, but nonetheless are just as much into it.   So it's not a novelty.

I was at a party and in one of the rooms we were playing a video game with shooting ducks.   You basically pointed the gun at the TV and tried to shoot the ducks before they all flew off.   A woman I did not know walked in and watched.   When the round finished, one of the players politely offered her their spot.  Her reply "I dont' play silly games.  I hunt REAL ducks!!"   

I would pray for straight lines like that at a gathering I'm hosting.  The responses could be so fun:
"If you want to do that, you'll have to go outside..."
or
"Not in MY living room!"
or
(wide eyed) "Good heavens!  Not indoors, I hope!"

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #24432 on: November 19, 2013, 07:56:35 AM »
We had a guest who told us at check out that the taxes were too high (they're set by the county; we have nothing to do with what the tax rate is) so she wasn't going to pay all of it. She said this to my boss. He said "yes you are" and she had a meltdown. When that didn't work she tried crying. He charged her card printed a receipt and said goodbye.

cwm

« Reply #24433 on: November 19, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
I have a story of three SS drivers. Two of them are SS Speed Limit Doesn't Apply, and the third is SS In A Hurry.

Years ago, I had to go to the mall for something. This was in college, and to get there I had to drive down a major thoroughfare. Not a problem, it's two lanes, 45mph all the way there. Except for the two SS-SLDAs ahead. They each seemed to be incapable of going more than 30mph, and of course they had to be driving side by side, rather than one falling in behind the other. And they had to be going on the main road rather than side roads.

I'm following them at a respectable distance, though very annoyed at the situation when up comes SS-IAH. I can see him coming up behind me for a few blocks, speeding and swerving in and out of the lanes of traffic, trying to get somewhere. I fall back further behind SS-SLDAs because I know what's going to happen, and I'm not disappointed. SS-IAH gets up to them and starts switching lanes between the two of them, back and forth, whichever happens to be a few inches ahead of the other at the time. He's laying on his horn, arms flying out the windows, and I crack my window just enough that I can verify that he was screaming some very choice words.

SS-SLDAs don't appear to be moved to speed up by this guy, they both slow down. They've already caused a pretty decent backup on this road by going so slow to begin with, but now they're down to about 25-28mph, and SS-IAH is FURIOUS. He lays on his horn and doesn't let up at all, he's riding right on the back end of one of the SS-SLDAs.

I don't know what happened after that, I had to turn off to get to the mall, but I was certainly glad that I wasn't behind that traveling circus any longer.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #24434 on: November 19, 2013, 11:17:43 AM »
This is from Customers Suck. Most of the story is about a woman screaming to a store manager that she is going to sue if she doesn't get her way. That's just a garden variety of SS. The real winner is the woman's daughter who "had pushed our ENTIRE window display to the side of the table, laid down a napkin on the surface, and was eating her lunch off our window display table. " (emphasis in original)

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=103209

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data