Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4404124 times)

cwm

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24435 on: November 19, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
I have a story of three SS drivers. Two of them are SS Speed Limit Doesn't Apply, and the third is SS In A Hurry.

Years ago, I had to go to the mall for something. This was in college, and to get there I had to drive down a major thoroughfare. Not a problem, it's two lanes, 45mph all the way there. Except for the two SS-SLDAs ahead. They each seemed to be incapable of going more than 30mph, and of course they had to be driving side by side, rather than one falling in behind the other. And they had to be going on the main road rather than side roads.

I'm following them at a respectable distance, though very annoyed at the situation when up comes SS-IAH. I can see him coming up behind me for a few blocks, speeding and swerving in and out of the lanes of traffic, trying to get somewhere. I fall back further behind SS-SLDAs because I know what's going to happen, and I'm not disappointed. SS-IAH gets up to them and starts switching lanes between the two of them, back and forth, whichever happens to be a few inches ahead of the other at the time. He's laying on his horn, arms flying out the windows, and I crack my window just enough that I can verify that he was screaming some very choice words.

SS-SLDAs don't appear to be moved to speed up by this guy, they both slow down. They've already caused a pretty decent backup on this road by going so slow to begin with, but now they're down to about 25-28mph, and SS-IAH is FURIOUS. He lays on his horn and doesn't let up at all, he's riding right on the back end of one of the SS-SLDAs.

I don't know what happened after that, I had to turn off to get to the mall, but I was certainly glad that I wasn't behind that traveling circus any longer.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #24436 on: November 19, 2013, 11:17:43 AM »
This is from Customers Suck. Most of the story is about a woman screaming to a store manager that she is going to sue if she doesn't get her way. That's just a garden variety of SS. The real winner is the woman's daughter who "had pushed our ENTIRE window display to the side of the table, laid down a napkin on the surface, and was eating her lunch off our window display table. " (emphasis in original)

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=103209

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Belle

« Reply #24437 on: November 19, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »
What I want to know is if she moved it on her own, how did it take two people plus her to move it back???
Because the staff member was not strong enough to move it by herself, even though the SS was. That was what contributed to the SS-ness of the matter- that she was well-capable of putting the machine back, but was just standing there watching the other woman struggle.

Yes, what Jocelyn said. There was one staff member attempting to move it back, but the staff member wasn't strong enough and the special snowflake just stood there watching. Eventually, the snowflake stepped in and helped to move it back.

I also wondered if she had moved it so she wasn't as close to the people on the other machines, but moving her machine didn't really help with that. She may not have been right next to the people on machines anymore, but now she had patrons trying to climb around her to get past and getting much closer than if she had left the machine where it was originally. It was just very, very odd.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #24438 on: November 19, 2013, 02:09:41 PM »
This may yet become professional darwinism, but . . . I'm just gonna leave this here.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #24439 on: November 19, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
Back to topic...

I nominate my Special Snowflake Sister for refusing to turn over to our brother the car our mother left him. 

She wanted it and he didn't "deserve" it.  She determines who in this world is deserving and who isn't and legality has nothing to do with it - it's all up to her Snowflake Highness.  He eventually got the car.

This is just one of the many toxic things she has done in her life.  If she wants it she takes it - doesn't matter if it belongs to you or not, she saw it, she wanted it, she took it.  And our mother enabled this a great deal most of her life.  Last time she tried something like that she got arrested - you know, out in the real world!   

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24440 on: November 19, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »
I've removed the posts on homelessness but left the original link up.  Those who would like to discuss the issue in depth, please take it to the Civilized Politics forum.

http://www.civilizedpolitics.com/

TeamBhakta

« Reply #24441 on: November 19, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
People at a live performance who ignore the signs and loud pre-show announcements to not use cameras or recording devices. It's really distracting and rude in a dark theatre when you suddenly see someone raise a bright little screen, tap tap to record, adjust the viewfinder, etc. Especially the snowflake near the front row who did that and then posted it on the performer's twitter page; you've got brass ones to say "loved this moment, thanks for giving me a laugh" when the performer doesn't want you to record in the first place. I was ready to strangle the couple in front of me who taped the performer + took "look at us kissing" shots of themselves during the show

Nuala

« Reply #24442 on: November 19, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »
This is just one of the many toxic things she has done in her life.  If she wants it she takes it - doesn't matter if it belongs to you or not, she saw it, she wanted it, she took it.  And our mother enabled this a great deal most of her life.  Last time she tried something like that she got arrested - you know, out in the real world!   

My goodness! What happened?

mime

« Reply #24443 on: November 19, 2013, 07:10:53 PM »
Something similar happened to me recently.   

Background:  I live in a part of the US where lots of women hunt.   Usually with their husbands or fathers, but nonetheless are just as much into it.   So it's not a novelty.

I was at a party and in one of the rooms we were playing a video game with shooting ducks.   You basically pointed the gun at the TV and tried to shoot the ducks before they all flew off.   A woman I did not know walked in and watched.   When the round finished, one of the players politely offered her their spot.  Her reply "I dont' play silly games.  I hunt REAL ducks!!"   

she said this several times throughout the evening, as if her being a duck hunter should have been some big deal.

My grandmother did almost the same thing (but no hunting)... She lives in a seniors' residence, and her brother (my great uncle) and SIL lived there as well. Great Uncle & Aunt were on the residence's Wii Bowling Team. They would meet against other senior living complexes and have tournaments. (My uncle was the champion several times  ;D) My grandmother, upon seeing the trophy and uncle's name as the champion, said "well they're just swinging their arms around at the screen, and you don't even have to aim. If it was *real* bowling, then maybe I'd do it."

Now, where my grandmother's story differs from yours is that my grandmother has NEVER bowled in her life, and now at 91, could not possibly walk in a straight line if she was carrying as much as an 8lb ball in her hand. She just loves to fling poo on other peoples' fun.

mime

« Reply #24444 on: November 19, 2013, 07:23:09 PM »
I have a story of three SS drivers. Two of them are SS Speed Limit Doesn't Apply, and the third is SS In A Hurry.

Years ago, I had to go to the mall for something. This was in college, and to get there I had to drive down a major thoroughfare. Not a problem, it's two lanes, 45mph all the way there. Except for the two SS-SLDAs ahead. They each seemed to be incapable of going more than 30mph, and of course they had to be driving side by side, rather than one falling in behind the other. And they had to be going on the main road rather than side roads.

I'm following them at a respectable distance, though very annoyed at the situation when up comes SS-IAH. I can see him coming up behind me for a few blocks, speeding and swerving in and out of the lanes of traffic, trying to get somewhere. I fall back further behind SS-SLDAs because I know what's going to happen, and I'm not disappointed. SS-IAH gets up to them and starts switching lanes between the two of them, back and forth, whichever happens to be a few inches ahead of the other at the time. He's laying on his horn, arms flying out the windows, and I crack my window just enough that I can verify that he was screaming some very choice words.

SS-SLDAs don't appear to be moved to speed up by this guy, they both slow down. They've already caused a pretty decent backup on this road by going so slow to begin with, but now they're down to about 25-28mph, and SS-IAH is FURIOUS. He lays on his horn and doesn't let up at all, he's riding right on the back end of one of the SS-SLDAs.

I don't know what happened after that, I had to turn off to get to the mall, but I was certainly glad that I wasn't behind that traveling circus any longer.

I think my blood pressure went up as I read this. Where I come from, they call the cluster of slow drivers lined up across lanes so nobody can pass "the wedge", since it's often in a flying-goose formation. They call the SS-IAH drivers... uh... somthing else.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24445 on: November 19, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »
Where I come from, they call the cluster of slow drivers lined up across lanes so nobody can pass "the wedge", since it's often in a flying-goose formation. They call the SS-IAH drivers... uh... somthing else.
... a wedgie? >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24446 on: November 19, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
Where I come from, they call the cluster of slow drivers lined up across lanes so nobody can pass "the wedge", since it's often in a flying-goose formation. They call the SS-IAH drivers... uh... somthing else.
... a wedgie? >:D

Well they are a PITA..

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #24447 on: November 20, 2013, 09:59:30 AM »

She was helping nurse a friend (for free, you know like a friend does) and she took an expensive ring.  The woman noticed it missing and called police to report it stolen (suspecting another caregiver), when they arrived at Sis' house to question her about it she had it on her finger. 

She returned it and charges were later dismissed (and friendship ended) but her rationale was that "friend wasn't wearing it any longer and I deserved it for taking care of her"   :o

That is EXACTLY how our mother justified her taking things from brother & I, "you weren't using it and now she is..."  We grew up in a house understanding that nothing ever actually belonged to us - sis could take whatever she wanted from us at anytime, destroy it and there would be no consequences for her. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #24448 on: November 20, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »

She was helping nurse a friend (for free, you know like a friend does) and she took an expensive ring.  The woman noticed it missing and called police to report it stolen (suspecting another caregiver), when they arrived at Sis' house to question her about it she had it on her finger. 

She returned it and charges were later dismissed (and friendship ended) but her rationale was that "friend wasn't wearing it any longer and I deserved it for taking care of her"   :o

That is EXACTLY how our mother justified her taking things from brother & I, "you weren't using it and now she is..."  We grew up in a house understanding that nothing ever actually belonged to us - sis could take whatever she wanted from us at anytime, destroy it and there would be no consequences for her. 

My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #24449 on: November 20, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »

Oh, how I can relate to this.  I have the same model of family.  My Dad is famous for giving away things we "weren't using" or that he thought we didn't deserve to have.