Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5280188 times)

Pen^2

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24465 on: November 22, 2013, 12:18:37 AM »

<snip>

I can't help but wonder how they bathe.

<snippety>

Or, you know, become pregnant....or deliver...or...or...

I always wondered about how the boy in this Fry and Laurie sketch existed, also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmb1DT62FVc

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24466 on: November 22, 2013, 02:48:03 AM »
PeterM wrote:

"I don't think she had to wait overly long for her purchase."

If you take the post at face value, she had to wait three minutes while the cashier tried and failed to corral a coworker to handle it.  That's a long time for a transaction that should take less than a minute to begin with.

"I definitely don't think a cashier lane devoted solely to alcohol at a grocery store is a reasonable suggestion, especially since they already have an easy way to tell if you're going to have to wait longer with your alcohol."

My take on that request is not a lane that rings up alcohol exclusively, but telling customers that they should always go to lane 5 if they're buying alcohol.  Many stores already do this with tobacco products, and that way they could always put a cashier in that lane who can sell alcohol.

"Add in the attempt to scam the cashier, and I think you're being overly charitable."

Rude isn't always SS.  Impatient isn't always SS.  Scamming isn't always SS.  That's my point.  This story fits several threads on this board, but I don't think it's a good fit for this one because the core of it revolves around the store dropping the ball so her complaint was legitimate.

Virg

poundcake

« Reply #24467 on: November 22, 2013, 05:32:23 AM »
I didn't want to go down the terrible path of criticising his parenting decisions, especially when they're hilariously stupid,

I do.

I really wish, on behalf of my fellow educators and teachers, that we could have a "my class, my rules" dynamic again. If you don't want your children to read ___ or hear ___ or think about ___? Homeschool them. The idea that the rest of the world has to conform to your nutty beliefs is the epitome of SSness.

Pen^2

« Reply #24468 on: November 22, 2013, 06:47:54 AM »
I didn't want to go down the terrible path of criticising his parenting decisions, especially when they're hilariously stupid,

I do.

I really wish, on behalf of my fellow educators and teachers, that we could have a "my class, my rules" dynamic again. If you don't want your children to read ___ or hear ___ or think about ___? Homeschool them. The idea that the rest of the world has to conform to your nutty beliefs is the epitome of SSness.

Is it kind of sad that I actually dream about this? Every older coworker (teacher by occupation) I've had has complained that as we've moved away from that kind of culture, entitlement has soared while discipline and respect have plummeted. But it's probably a correlation thing, not causation. At any rate, it's both the kids and the teachers who are worse off here.

Melle

« Reply #24469 on: November 22, 2013, 07:14:45 AM »
The train I ride to work each day is always very crowded, no matter if I get on at 6 AM or 9 AM. Standing for the full duration of the ride is the usual MO and it's all anyone can do to try not to stand in anyone's way or inadvertently hit them.

I was positioned by the door, which, at times when the train isn't crowded, is wide enough to let two grown people enter or exit at once. I tried to tuck myself into the corner between the door and the seats but that wasn't enough for one elderly gentleman with a walker who was standing behind another person when the double doors opened at one stop.

He was determined to enter simultaneously with the person in front of him and thus veered his walker to the right where I was standing, rolling it over my foot first, then shoving the metal frame into my shin with full force, all the while grunting angrily. I was so surprised that all I managed to utter was a a whimper; I had people and obstacles to both sides and behind me so there was no way for me to yield or dodge.

Had he waited for the person in front of him to enter, he would have been able to get on the train without having to assault anybody.

Needless to say, I was a tiny bit miffed when he was offered a seat right away while I was rubbing my bruised shin.

Carotte

« Reply #24470 on: November 22, 2013, 07:20:23 AM »

I do.

The problem with that is that while the OP has a very normal curriculum who simply includes the very normal and acceptable word Nude (which is only bothering say 1% of the population), you might get teachers with weird preferences or believes that 99% of the population would frown upon.
How do you define who's nutty?
I guess you can only go by the established state/country/national curriculum to decide if you want or need to homeschool your kids.
If you're against the curriculum, homeschool, if you're OK with the curriculum but the teacher is going off base, you do have a right to complain.

Now, I'm sure Poundcake was only talking about the normal teachers that yeah, should have the right to say "My class (my imposed curriculum the state said I had to follow)/ my rules (that I need to do my job)", but I've heard and seen a few 'horror' stories and thought "hey, can he actually say/teach that? shouldn't we tell the administration on him?".

o_gal

« Reply #24471 on: November 22, 2013, 07:58:39 AM »

Then she asked for cash back, in specific denominations, and then told the cashiwer she didnt' get all her $$ back. Cashier politely said yes, SS said no, cashier begins to call for a manager. SS then says "oh, here it is, i found it, i put it somewhere in my purse" No apology or anything else. Just very rude and entitled.

I think that the SS was trying to scam the cashier, and knew that her monkey business wouldn't stand up to manager scrutiny.

Last month I was directly behind a woman in Wegman's who was apparently trying to shoplift 3 small items of produce.  She looked like a regular shopper, and she wasn't dressed poorly.  The woman chatted nicely with the young checker as she was being checked out.  When most everything was rung up the young checker looked in her shopping cart and said, "What's that?"  The woman hemmed and hawed, and said that she didn't know.  I could see 3 smallish fruits in there about the size of kumquats, but they weren't kumquats. The woman had not put the little things into a produce bag, like is normally done for purchases - they were just loose in the cart like can happen with stray leaves of cabbage.   Finally the checker said, "How much do they cost?"  The woman scowled and sighed and said, "Three for $2," and the checker added them to the bill. 

I could be wrong, but I think that the woman wanted the things for a special recipe and just didn't want to pay $2 for them.  She was deceptive when she claimed that she didn't know how the little fruits got into her cart, but knew exactly how much the obscure items cost.

I had an incident similar to this a few weeks ago, and I really hope that I was misinterpreting the situation, but the cashier told me that they get lots of people trying to steal things by using the self-checkouts.

I was waiting for 2 women in front of me at the large self-checkout - the kind where you can do a whole cartload of groceries. The first woman was checking out with multiple boxes of shoes. The second woman also had some shoe boxes in the bottom of  her cart, and at one point I thought I saw them talking to each other, so I thought they were together. First woman finishes and picks up her stuff - she goes off to the side to rearrange bags, further making me think that they're together and first woman is waiting for second woman.

Second woman starts checking out her stuff, and keeps running into snags where the items won't scan easily. She keeps apologizing to me about how long she's taking. At one point, where the shoe boxes are still in the bottom of her cart, and she's only scanned 2 of the 5 or 6 packs of 8 bottled sodas/pop, she starts to pay. She has multiple change purses from which she's taking out cash. I thought she was doing multiple transactions, like she's buying stuff for someone else. Nope, she continues apologizing to me (distracting me?) about how long it's taking. Then she bags up what she has scanned, and leaves.

She never scanned the 2 (at least) shoe boxes at the bottom of her cart. She hasn't scanned all of the soda/pop packs in the cart. She just bagged up and left. First woman has also left. So when I was scanning and getting through all my stuff, I called the cashier over and explained. 1 or 2 cashiers oversee the 10 self-checkouts, and she says that she sees people do this all.the.time. I gave her a description of the woman and the fact that she was the immediate transaction at this register before me. But since she was paying cash, they have no record of who she might be. The most they could do is pull security tapes of the checkout line, and if she really was stealing, then try to pull tapes in the parking lot to get a license plate number if she drove there. But it's a long shot and as I said, I'm really hoping I misinterpreted the situation. But I don't think I did  :(

poundcake

« Reply #24472 on: November 22, 2013, 07:58:56 AM »

I do.

The problem with that is that while the OP has a very normal curriculum who simply includes the very normal and acceptable word Nude (which is only bothering say 1% of the population), you might get teachers with weird preferences or believes that 99% of the population would frown upon.
How do you define who's nutty?
I guess you can only go by the established state/country/national curriculum to decide if you want or need to homeschool your kids.
If you're against the curriculum, homeschool, if you're OK with the curriculum but the teacher is going off base, you do have a right to complain.

Now, I'm sure Poundcake was only talking about the normal teachers that yeah, should have the right to say "My class (my imposed curriculum the state said I had to follow)/ my rules (that I need to do my job)", but I've heard and seen a few 'horror' stories and thought "hey, can he actually say/teach that? shouldn't we tell the administration on him?".

I would hope that the "within reason" would be understood, but ah, considering the topic AND the state of education, I probably should have clarified that, huh? With double underlines!  :-\

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24473 on: November 22, 2013, 09:55:13 AM »

I do.

Is it kind of sad that I actually dream about this? Every older coworker (teacher by occupation) I've had has complained that as we've moved away from that kind of culture, entitlement has soared while discipline and respect have plummeted. But it's probably a correlation thing, not causation. At any rate, it's both the kids and the teachers who are worse off here.

And I, as a college administration worker, see those children later on.

The one who expects to be admitted based on who they are, not based on achievements. These are the students who escalate every minor issue they have to the head of the university. Who consider it a great injustice when they have to wait for anything. Their parents aren't doing them or the world any favors.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24474 on: November 22, 2013, 10:05:34 AM »

I'd been teaching his son in reading about silent e, and how it makes vowels say their name rather than their short sound (e.g. hop vs hope, sit vs site, etc.) which is useful, since there are literally hundreds of such words in English, including a lot of very common ones.

The dirty word? "nude"   ...

I loved your story, but I'm sitting here wondering what a 'nud' would be?   ;D

I take it that some words were just random words without a "no silent e" counterpart?

Melle

« Reply #24475 on: November 22, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »
I loved your story, but I'm sitting here wondering what a 'nud' would be?   ;D

I take it that some words were just random words without a "no silent e" counterpart?

I was thinking the same thing  ;D

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #24476 on: November 22, 2013, 10:24:17 AM »

Then she asked for cash back, in specific denominations, and then told the cashiwer she didnt' get all her $$ back. Cashier politely said yes, SS said no, cashier begins to call for a manager. SS then says "oh, here it is, i found it, i put it somewhere in my purse" No apology or anything else. Just very rude and entitled.

I think that the SS was trying to scam the cashier, and knew that her monkey business wouldn't stand up to manager scrutiny.

Last month I was directly behind a woman in Wegman's who was apparently trying to shoplift 3 small items of produce.  She looked like a regular shopper, and she wasn't dressed poorly.  The woman chatted nicely with the young checker as she was being checked out.  When most everything was rung up the young checker looked in her shopping cart and said, "What's that?"  The woman hemmed and hawed, and said that she didn't know.  I could see 3 smallish fruits in there about the size of kumquats, but they weren't kumquats. The woman had not put the little things into a produce bag, like is normally done for purchases - they were just loose in the cart like can happen with stray leaves of cabbage.   Finally the checker said, "How much do they cost?"  The woman scowled and sighed and said, "Three for $2," and the checker added them to the bill. 

I could be wrong, but I think that the woman wanted the things for a special recipe and just didn't want to pay $2 for them.  She was deceptive when she claimed that she didn't know how the little fruits got into her cart, but knew exactly how much the obscure items cost.

I had an incident similar to this a few weeks ago, and I really hope that I was misinterpreting the situation, but the cashier told me that they get lots of people trying to steal things by using the self-checkouts.

I was waiting for 2 women in front of me at the large self-checkout - the kind where you can do a whole cartload of groceries. The first woman was checking out with multiple boxes of shoes. The second woman also had some shoe boxes in the bottom of  her cart, and at one point I thought I saw them talking to each other, so I thought they were together. First woman finishes and picks up her stuff - she goes off to the side to rearrange bags, further making me think that they're together and first woman is waiting for second woman.

Second woman starts checking out her stuff, and keeps running into snags where the items won't scan easily. She keeps apologizing to me about how long she's taking. At one point, where the shoe boxes are still in the bottom of her cart, and she's only scanned 2 of the 5 or 6 packs of 8 bottled sodas/pop, she starts to pay. She has multiple change purses from which she's taking out cash. I thought she was doing multiple transactions, like she's buying stuff for someone else. Nope, she continues apologizing to me (distracting me?) about how long it's taking. Then she bags up what she has scanned, and leaves.

She never scanned the 2 (at least) shoe boxes at the bottom of her cart. She hasn't scanned all of the soda/pop packs in the cart. She just bagged up and left. First woman has also left. So when I was scanning and getting through all my stuff, I called the cashier over and explained. 1 or 2 cashiers oversee the 10 self-checkouts, and she says that she sees people do this all.the.time. I gave her a description of the woman and the fact that she was the immediate transaction at this register before me. But since she was paying cash, they have no record of who she might be. The most they could do is pull security tapes of the checkout line, and if she really was stealing, then try to pull tapes in the parking lot to get a license plate number if she drove there. But it's a long shot and as I said, I'm really hoping I misinterpreted the situation. But I don't think I did  :(

My local grocery store is now conducting random cart checks at the self checkout.  So it will allow you to ring up everything and then it won't allow you to pay.  A manager/lead has to come over and verify what's in your cart before allowing the payment to continue.  It's not every single time, but I'd say in the past month, I've had 3 cart checks in 20 or so visits to the grocery store.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24477 on: November 22, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »
My cousin shared this on fbook, saying he thought it was funny.  I read it and well, I'm not laughing.

http://www.tickld.com/t/423186
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24478 on: November 22, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »

My local grocery store is now conducting random cart checks at the self checkout.  So it will allow you to ring up everything and then it won't allow you to pay.  A manager/lead has to come over and verify what's in your cart before allowing the payment to continue.  It's not every single time, but I'd say in the past month, I've had 3 cart checks in 20 or so visits to the grocery store.

There's a grocery store in town I like going to even though there's a closer branch simply because they have a scanner that allows you to scan groceries as you go and then just pay at the register. It's great cause you can see how much you're spending as you go and it makes the checkout quicker.

Now and then they have "Cart audits" but the only time I've had one, they gave me a coupon for $2.00 off my purchase and since I had nothing to hide, I didn't mind the audit. :) Thankfully she also didn't take long to perform the audit and only checked a few items.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #24479 on: November 22, 2013, 01:54:16 PM »
My cousin shared this on fbook, saying he thought it was funny.  I read it and well, I'm not laughing.

http://www.tickld.com/t/423186

I don't understand why that's funny ...  plus, she threw up?  Poor girl!