Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5092230 times)

BB-VA

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24750 on: December 08, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »
I am a big fan of Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta and SYTTD: Bridesmaids.  It is an education in human nature sometimes to watch these people interact (although I still hope to see a bridesmaid get fired).

I am not knocking people who want expensive dresses or big weddings, but after watching these two programs, I am very glad that I paid for my own wedding dress and I went alone to pick it out.
LOTS less stress, for sure!
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24751 on: December 09, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »
Last night, my family attended a Christmas program with a full orchestra, mass choir and a guest celebrity narrator. In order to attend, you had to have passes to the place where it was held and either pay extra for priority seating or wait in a 30 minute line for seats.

SS#1: Woman in front of me who either checked USA Today for updates on her phone while holding it up, so that was the only thing I could see the way the theatre seating is, tried (didn't seem to know how to and had to ask her husband or son for help) to take pictures constantly or sang off key the entire show.

SS Group: A group of teenagers that were roughhousing in the line, and knocked an elderly lady down, then did not apologize or help her up. Once they were seated behind us, they talked loudly the entire time.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24752 on: December 09, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »
This bride-to-be ended a column about wedding prices by taking a swipe at other brides. The last sentence is such a gem  ::)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/magazine/the-wedding-fix-is-in.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

I thought that was an excellent article about economics.   

She's right - bridezillas who are willing to pay anything for their perfect day does mean that there is a perception that vendors can charge a premium for weddings, even when supplying the same services.  I've also read elsewhere that some vendors justify the extra pricing simply because of the hassle of dealing with bridezillas!

I don't see anything special snowflakey about that article at all.

I don't see the need to refer to someone as a bridezilla because they are willing to pay a premium for something they really want. I do think the law of supply and demand has taken over the industry some. But it also can mean that if your flexible then you can get discounts. Don't need the trendy blue cocktail napkins, then yeah for you, you can get the discount oragne ones. Prefer a Saturday wedding but willing to have a Sunday afternoon? Then yeah for you because you are going to get a great deal.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #24753 on: December 09, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
I was about the first person into Matalan this morning because ohmygoodfemaledeity I have so much to do today - if anybody asks if you've seen me, say no, because I totally do not have time to stop, drink a cup of tea and read on EHell, so plainly I'm not doing that - shot round the store, picked up the things I needed and legged it for the till. The Matalan tills are in a row along one wall, with a big S-bend funnel to get you past the things you can absolutely manage without whatever the sales staff think, and an electronic board telling you which cashier is free.

It's not even breakfast time, so there are only 2 tills open but you still have to walk through the bend. SS-There's-Nobody-Here-But-Me pushes her trolley into the funnel - which is one trolley width plus about 2 feet - and stops dead to do something with her phone. I come up behind her, all clacking heels because I'm in a hurry, but, you know, EHell expects and all that so I don't barge past or yell 'move it, dingbat!' I hesitate politely for fifteen seconds so that she can finish what she's doing. I don't know what it is - she's either hacking into MI5 or playing Candy Crush - but she isn't finishing it and getting a move on, so I ask her, in a perfectly polite tone, if she minds if I come past. She looks shocked, pockets her phone and sets off towards the till at a speed approximating to that of continental drift, casting an 'oh, sorry' back over her shoulder at me.

I might have rolled my eyes, but I trotted in her wake, and at the tills she turned one way and I turned the other to the two cashiers. I was done in three minutes, purchases under my arm and heading for the exit, which is at the other end of the line of tills. SS-TNHBM had her trolley set right across the aisle, and looked at me blankly when I came up, with a distinct expression of 'what? what do you want?' She seemed completely shocked when I set a hand on the trolley and asked 'may I just come through?' I don't know, maybe she was expecting me to hurdle the rack of sports socks instead?

I bet she's a joy when all 20 tills are in use.

bloo

« Reply #24754 on: December 09, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »
I was about the first person into Matalan this morning because ohmygoodfemaledeity I have so much to do today - if anybody asks if you've seen me, say no, because I totally do not have time to stop, drink a cup of tea and read on EHell, so plainly I'm not doing that - shot round the store, picked up the things I needed and legged it for the till. The Matalan tills are in a row along one wall, with a big S-bend funnel to get you past the things you can absolutely manage without whatever the sales staff think, and an electronic board telling you which cashier is free.

It's not even breakfast time, so there are only 2 tills open but you still have to walk through the bend. SS-There's-Nobody-Here-But-Me pushes her trolley into the funnel - which is one trolley width plus about 2 feet - and stops dead to do something with her phone. I come up behind her, all clacking heels because I'm in a hurry, but, you know, EHell expects and all that so I don't barge past or yell 'move it, dingbat!' I hesitate politely for fifteen seconds so that she can finish what she's doing. I don't know what it is - she's either hacking into MI5 or playing Candy Crush - but she isn't finishing it and getting a move on, so I ask her, in a perfectly polite tone, if she minds if I come past. She looks shocked, pockets her phone and sets off towards the till at a speed approximating to that of continental drift, casting an 'oh, sorry' back over her shoulder at me.

I might have rolled my eyes, but I trotted in her wake, and at the tills she turned one way and I turned the other to the two cashiers. I was done in three minutes, purchases under my arm and heading for the exit, which is at the other end of the line of tills. SS-TNHBM had her trolley set right across the aisle, and looked at me blankly when I came up, with a distinct expression of 'what? what do you want?' She seemed completely shocked when I set a hand on the trolley and asked 'may I just come through?' I don't know, maybe she was expecting me to hurdle the rack of sports socks instead?

I really enjoyed reading this, you're a good writer!

Yesterday I was at Sam's Club with my son to pick up a few items* and when we got to the check-outs they were pretty full so we headed to the Self-check-outs. This guy had a big dolly full of stuff and positioned himself between the two regular Self-check-outs (the express Self-check-out was busy) so I waited behind him and he started dancing a little jig because he knew someone was behind him but he wanted to keep queuing. So I finally asked him, "Sir, which line are you in?"

To which he looked back at me and replied, "I don't know, I just want to get out of here." So a non-answer and he didn't move his dolly and his wife turned around so she didn't have to make eye contact with me.

As I was about to inform him that he needed to pick one so I could get in line (I swear I would have done it politely), my son noticed that the Express Self-check-out was empty and guided me to that, avoiding kerfuffle. DS and I dilly-dallied a little letting Queue Guy in front of me as we wheeled over to get our receipts highlighted.

Then DS left me at the pull-thru to get the vehicle so he could pick me and our things up. And who do I see drive past me? Queue Guy, studiously avoiding eye-contact. I actually said, out loud, 'This guys is always in my way,' as the pull-thru has a line and the person in front of you could technically keep you in the pull-thru (depending on how close you are to them) until they leave.

There was a happy ending as Queue Guy decided to drive past the end of the pull-thru and onto the sidewalk, thereby NOT blocking in anyone behind him.  ::)

*I asked my soon-to-be 18 yo son if he minded taking me to Sam's Club as I only needed one thing. After I put my tenth item in the cart, he mildly protested with "I thought you said you were only getting one thing?" I replied, deadpan, "When a woman tells you she's only picking up one thing, she is ALWAYS lying." We both laughed.  ;D And yes I know men are equally guilty of that.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #24755 on: December 09, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »

I really enjoyed reading this, you're a good writer!

Yesterday I was at Sam's Club with my son to pick up a few items* and when we got to the check-outs they were pretty full so we headed to the Self-check-outs. This guy had a big dolly full of stuff and positioned himself between the two regular Self-check-outs (the express Self-check-out was busy) so I waited behind him and he started dancing a little jig because he knew someone was behind him but he wanted to keep queuing. So I finally asked him, "Sir, which line are you in?"

To which he looked back at me and replied, "I don't know, I just want to get out of here." So a non-answer and he didn't move his dolly and his wife turned around so she didn't have to make eye contact with me.

As I was about to inform him that he needed to pick one so I could get in line (I swear I would have done it politely), my son noticed that the Express Self-check-out was empty and guided me to that, avoiding kerfuffle. DS and I dilly-dallied a little letting Queue Guy in front of me as we wheeled over to get our receipts highlighted.

Then DS left me at the pull-thru to get the vehicle so he could pick me and our things up. And who do I see drive past me? Queue Guy, studiously avoiding eye-contact. I actually said, out loud, 'This guys is always in my way,' as the pull-thru has a line and the person in front of you could technically keep you in the pull-thru (depending on how close you are to them) until they leave.

There was a happy ending as Queue Guy decided to drive past the end of the pull-thru and onto the sidewalk, thereby NOT blocking in anyone behind him.  ::)

*I asked my soon-to-be 18 yo son if he minded taking me to Sam's Club as I only needed one thing. After I put my tenth item in the cart, he mildly protested with "I thought you said you were only getting one thing?" I replied, deadpan, "When a woman tells you she's only picking up one thing, she is ALWAYS lying." We both laughed.  ;D And yes I know men are equally guilty of that.

I am somewhat confused.  Usually, there is a line that starts at the end of self check outs and when one is finally open, the first person in that line gets the next open spot.  We don't "pick" a line to stand in.   Maybe he was dancing a jig because he was tired of shopping and standing.  I know that happens to me and my lower back begins to hurt.  I rock back and forth usually and it is not because someone is behind me.  Actually, I think you were the rude one in this case. 

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #24756 on: December 09, 2013, 01:45:58 PM »

I am somewhat confused.  Usually, there is a line that starts at the end of self check outs and when one is finally open, the first person in that line gets the next open spot.  We don't "pick" a line to stand in.   Maybe he was dancing a jig because he was tired of shopping and standing.  I know that happens to me and my lower back begins to hurt.  I rock back and forth usually and it is not because someone is behind me.  Actually, I think you were the rude one in this case. 

At some places I've been to, you need to pick a line. At some others, you do not. I'm guessing bloo was in one of the former since she was waiting for him to decide and he said he couldn't make up his mind.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

bloo

« Reply #24757 on: December 09, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »

At some places I've been to, you need to pick a line. At some others, you do not. I'm guessing bloo was in one of the former since she was waiting for him to decide and he said he couldn't make up his mind.

Correct, blue2000, there is no queuing for the checkouts at my local Sam's Club. You pick one and hope for the best.

RubyCat

« Reply #24758 on: December 09, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
Speaking of people who block supermarket aisles, I was stuck behind one the other day who would park her shopping cart on one side of the aisle, keep one hand on her cart and reach across to grab an item on the opposite side of the aisle. When she wasn't doing that, she was parking her cart diagonally across the aisle. I finally got fed up and pushed the front of her cart toward one side and said "excuse me."  In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have touched her cart but I was tired of waiting on her.

Bobbie

« Reply #24759 on: December 09, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »

Hi, still kind of new and on page 1010 but would like to share a SS story about my mom with you.

This is Special Makusyourhouseahotelus.....

My mom is Japanese, important to the story, and I was reared in Hawaii, my Dad was in the Navy.  Growing up, we always had visitors from Japan staying with us.  Either relatives or people my mom meet in Wakiki at her job and brought home that then came to visit every year.  She is very social and likes to help and be the generous "lady of the manor". 

So, she meet this crafty woman (CW) from Japan that came to Hawaii and bought crafts and stuff to sell in her store in Japan.  My mom let her stay with her to save on her hotel room.  CW would come every few months on her shopping trips and on one she asked my mom if a friend of hers could come and stay also.  My mom said sure the more the merrier.  My mom worked full time as a barber and it was understood that they were on their own for entertainment and transportation but could eat anything in the house.  My mom would sometimes take them places but it depended on her schedule.  So, CW started to bring a couple of people each time to stay and this went on for a few trips.  Till the hammer fell,  one couple that came asked my mom if their breakfast was included in the price of their stay.  My mom was like  :o.  She found out that CW was charging people to stay at my mom's house and pocketing the money.  My mom kicked her out (she did let the nice couple stay and made sure that they told all their friends in Japan about CW).

What makes CW extra snowflakey is she asked my mom what she was going to tell the other couples she had lined up to stay at my moms house that  had already paid.   And she offered my mom $100 for the other couples that had stayed previously.  My mom said she tried calling many times and each time hung up on her.   

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #24760 on: December 09, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »

Hi, still kind of new and on page 1010 but would like to share a SS story about my mom with you.

My mom is Japanese, important to the story, and I was reared in Hawaii, my Dad was in the Navy.  Growing up, we always had visitors from Japan staying with us.  Either relatives or people my mom meet in Wakiki at her job and brought home that then came to visit every year.  She is very social and likes to help and be the generous "lady of the manor". 

So, she meet this crafty woman (CW) from Japan that came to Hawaii and bought crafts and stuff to sell in her store in Japan.  My mom let her stay with her to save on her hotel room.  CW would come every few months on her shopping trips and on one she asked my mom if a friend of hers could come and stay also.  My mom said sure the more the merrier.  My mom worked full time as a barber and it was understood that they were on their own for entertainment and transportation but could eat anything in the house.  My mom would sometimes take them places but it depended on her schedule.  So, CW started to bring a couple of people each time to stay and this went on for a few trips.  Till the hammer fell,  one couple that came asked my mom if their breakfast was included in the price of their stay.  My mom was like  :o.  She found out that CW was charging people to stay at my mom's house and pocketing the money.  My mom kicked her out (she did let the nice couple stay and made sure that they told all their friends in Japan about CW).

What makes CW extra snowflakey is she asked my mom what she was going to tell the other couples she had lined up to stay at my moms house that  had already paid.   And she offered my mom $100 for the other couples that had stayed previously.  My mom said she tried calling many times and each time hung up on her.   

:o :o :o There surely must be a word beyond chutzpah...

Carotte

« Reply #24761 on: December 09, 2013, 06:51:34 PM »
I got an almost snowflake the other day, but one that most likely learned her lesson!

background: I wrap gifts for a large department store, we're in a both build for the occasion, 4 settings for the workers and a bench that sits a few for the customers who are waiting. We have a very simple ticket system, you take a number and we'll call you when one of us is available. When there's no customers we tell them to forgo the ticket since we can help them right away, but when there's a rush it's just not possible to keep track of who came before whom so we go by the ticket number.

Someone who works in the store and that we've seen a few times (and who was a bit snotty to my coworkers) came just before a mini rush last sunday. I know she knows how it works so I didn't tell her about the ticket thing, wondered why she was there (and didn't take a ticket) but hey, free country. Those that got before her had a ticket, the many that came after with multiple things to wrap had their ticket, she realised only too late and had to wait a good 20/30min more that she would have  ::)
So, point off for thinking that she didn't need to follow procedures, redeemed in full because she quietly accepted her error and didn't say a thing.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24762 on: December 09, 2013, 07:49:03 PM »

:o :o :o There surely must be a word beyond chutzpah...

It's a phrase, but "cosmic-scale brass ones" leaps to mind.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24763 on: December 09, 2013, 08:33:21 PM »

If you had repeated in front of your Japanese grandmother what your mother said to CW - would your grandmother have washed out YOUR mouth with soap and then washed out your mother's mouth with soap, too? For using those words in front of her grandchild?

I know that my German grandmother had her three sons trained - none of them (even the one who'd been in the Navy) ever used "military language" in front of his mother or his nieces & nephews or his own kids.  (One of whom went into the Navy & retired a while back.)

Even after I went into the Air Force and learned "military language" - I never used those words around Grandma...

ETA - I have three cousins, an uncle by marriage, and an aunt who know at least SOME Japanese (girl cousin taught English in Japan for a year or so and Uncle was of Japanese descent but born in the USA and grew up speaking Japanese "at home", at least to his Japanese born grandparents). 

I do not know more than three or four words in Japanese (goodby, thankyou, and that -sama means lord & -san means much the same as Mr., while -sensei could be used for teacher or other honored profession [ a doctor, in the context where I saw it]).

My "mental movie" seemed to cry out for a scene relating to one from my very young childhood - when I repeated something my grandfather had said in German...and got told that since I didn't know what it meant, I would NOT be getting into trouble - but Grandpa was going to be in trouble for saying that in front of me...Grandma did not like people talking like that in her house...and if I ever said it again, then I would be the one in trouble. 

Big trouble...lye soap and peach switch trouble...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:49:39 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24764 on: December 09, 2013, 08:44:28 PM »
I was at the grocery store, checking out. The person in front of me takes off. Her order is finished. The cashier calls over the fantastic manager who suspends the woman's transaction and has the cashier check me out. Woman comes back as I'm getting my change and receipt and throws and ever loving fit calling the cashier several ugly names.

I'm tired, didn't sleep well last night. I had this meeting to go to that was scheduled to start well before I could get there after my after school duty is done. I got there as fast as I could and instead of starting at 3:15 we didn't start till 4:15 so I am so not in the mood. Cashier is a High School girl - I go into protective teacher mode.

I tell upset woman No you do NOT speak to this young lady like that she was only following the directions of the manager. Besides it just takes a moment for her to reactivate your transaction. At which point she says "you didn't cancel it", and the cashier said no it is just suspended. I made a note of the girl's name and when I got home I left a comment on their site complementing her by name for excellent service.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future