Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5527288 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24795 on: December 12, 2013, 11:06:09 AM »
There was a recent post on Customers Suck about someone who wanted to return library books on Thanksgiving Day. The library was closed & the book drop locked. So they called the police.

The library didn't find out how the police responded, just "Apparently the cops called our custodian (who's their contact if our security alarm goes off) to let them know this call came through. They specified that they weren't asking us to do anything about it and that they think we do a great job, etc. "

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24796 on: December 12, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »
There was a recent post on Customers Suck about someone who wanted to return library books on Thanksgiving Day. The library was closed & the book drop locked. So they called the police.

Why is this everyone's go to plan? I can't do what I want so I'm calling the cops, how does that make any sense? What were the police going to do? Force someone to come down and open the library? Do people actually know what police do?

Melle

« Reply #24797 on: December 12, 2013, 11:17:01 AM »
I think it's just that people have gotten so used to the "everything is possible immediately and for free" mentality they've developed a sense of entitlement. That's certainly true for the library I work at.

We had a staff meeting once and opened the library two hours later than usual. This information was broadcast on all available channels to our customers four weeks in advance.
People still came and furiously knocked, yelled and kicked, and one young man took the cake by mooning us through the glass door.

Melle

« Reply #24798 on: December 12, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »
(and, on an entirely different note, I seem to be twelve years old again because I just had to suppress a very childish chuckle when I read the hash-brown-incident article and came across the line "Michael and Nova Smith say they ordered a Number 2")

mumma to KMC

« Reply #24799 on: December 12, 2013, 12:09:03 PM »
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/mesa/valley-couple-calls-911-after-they-dont-get-hash-brown-order-at-mcdonalds

These two feel pretty SS to me. I wasn't there to witness this or anything, just heard about it on the news and though "I must tell e-hell!!".

Yes, the worker should've just given them the hash browns and not bothered to fight. Oh we screwed up, so sorry. Even if they had put them in the bag and the couple was looking for free hash browns, seriously, it's not worth an argument. But the correct response when the worker refused was not to throw the bag of food at said worker!! Asking for a manager, threatening to call corporate, calling corporate, would've been fine responses (in theory they do these things without acting batty but well...they seem to take breakfast food very seriously). But throwing food is going to solve NOTHING. I heard the 911 call from the manager, and according to that call they were going behind the counter.

In case you're wondering, they got two citations and are being charged with assault because the employee got hit by food. See what happens when you don't stay calm and polite? The police get involved and you get a citation.

Wow. It is a hash brown people, I realize you paid for it, and you didn't get it, but really, to throw you bag of food over it? McDonald's doesn't have the issue, you do!

Last week, Zaxby's missed our salad, what did I do? I got out of the car and went it to ask for it, with a smile on my face, let them know, and I got it. End of story. I didn't get upset and I didn't argue, I just said it was forgotten. That easy.

cwm

« Reply #24800 on: December 12, 2013, 12:31:34 PM »
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/mesa/valley-couple-calls-911-after-they-dont-get-hash-brown-order-at-mcdonalds

These two feel pretty SS to me. I wasn't there to witness this or anything, just heard about it on the news and though "I must tell e-hell!!".

Yes, the worker should've just given them the hash browns and not bothered to fight. Oh we screwed up, so sorry. Even if they had put them in the bag and the couple was looking for free hash browns, seriously, it's not worth an argument. But the correct response when the worker refused was not to throw the bag of food at said worker!! Asking for a manager, threatening to call corporate, calling corporate, would've been fine responses (in theory they do these things without acting batty but well...they seem to take breakfast food very seriously). But throwing food is going to solve NOTHING. I heard the 911 call from the manager, and according to that call they were going behind the counter.

In case you're wondering, they got two citations and are being charged with assault because the employee got hit by food. See what happens when you don't stay calm and polite? The police get involved and you get a citation.

Wow. It is a hash brown people, I realize you paid for it, and you didn't get it, but really, to throw you bag of food over it? McDonald's doesn't have the issue, you do!

Last week, Zaxby's missed our salad, what did I do? I got out of the car and went it to ask for it, with a smile on my face, let them know, and I got it. End of story. I didn't get upset and I didn't argue, I just said it was forgotten. That easy.

Both times I've been to Bob Evans they've forgotten our bread. I just asked if we could get it to go when our server brought our check. Problem solved. I do the same thing when a fast food place messes something up, just go in and politely mention it.

I've worked fast food. Those places aren't exactly set up and run to exacting standards. Mistakes happen, people are human.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24801 on: December 12, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »

Why is this everyone's go to plan? I can't do what I want so I'm calling the cops, how does that make any sense? What were the police going to do? Force someone to come down and open the library? Do people actually know what police do?

I have a theory.  You know those parents that tell their children "You see that policeman?  If you don't settle down right now, he's going to arrest you."  These are the result, their children.  Mommy threatened me with the police if I didn't do what she wants, that must be how they work.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24802 on: December 12, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »

Both times I've been to Bob Evans they've forgotten our bread. I just asked if we could get it to go when our server brought our check. Problem solved. I do the same thing when a fast food place messes something up, just go in and politely mention it.

I've worked fast food. Those places aren't exactly set up and run to exacting standards. Mistakes happen, people are human.

A place made a mistake with my order and gave me free french fries.  I couldn't help but wonder if they do that because bad experiences made them afraid and they are now hoping free fries may preemptively calm the crazies people down.

cwm

« Reply #24803 on: December 12, 2013, 04:11:51 PM »
A place made a mistake with my order and gave me free french fries.  I couldn't help but wonder if they do that because bad experiences made them afraid and they are now hoping free fries may preemptively calm the crazies people down.

Yes. We were told that whenever we messed something up about the food itself to offer free french fries or a free child size ice cream cone (we had ice cream and fast food) and tell the manager to mark it off as waste. Another location in the same city had to ban a customer and send his picture and information to all the other stores because of his habit of scamming the stores for free food. He apparently came in three or four times a week complaining about things. They'd always refund his money, remake his food, and give him free extras. Oddly enough despite the store constantly getting things wrong, he kept coming back.

goldilocks

« Reply #24804 on: December 12, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »

My cat would like you to know that his name is Moose, not Snowflake.  I beg to differ.

Why on earth are you doing anything other than paying attention to him?

greencat

« Reply #24805 on: December 12, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

My cat would like you to know that his name is Moose, not Snowflake.  I beg to differ.

Why on earth are you doing anything other than paying attention to him?

My right hand was rubbing his belly.  My left hand was doing the typing and then picture-taking bits.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #24806 on: December 12, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »

Yes. We were told that whenever we messed something up about the food itself to offer free french fries or a free child size ice cream cone (we had ice cream and fast food) and tell the manager to mark it off as waste. Another location in the same city had to ban a customer and send his picture and information to all the other stores because of his habit of scamming the stores for free food. He apparently came in three or four times a week complaining about things. They'd always refund his money, remake his food, and give him free extras. Oddly enough despite the store constantly getting things wrong, he kept coming back.

You'd think that he'd rotate stores a bit, so as not to be found out. :)

I had a friend who'd do that sort of thing though. I think I mentioned it on ehell before, but she would go out to dinner and either forget her wallet (and someone would pay for her) or she'd complain enough to get free food and the manager would come to smooth things over. It was never fun, after a while we quit inviting her out with us.

We had food forgotten once when and called when we got home to let them know, basically for quality control (it wasn't worth the gas money to go back out and get it, to be honest) and  they said they'd mark us down for a free meal. We go out to eat so rarely that we won't redeem that anyway.

purplerainbow

« Reply #24807 on: December 12, 2013, 05:48:29 PM »

Wow.
I can't STAND people who dial emergency numbers for non-emergencies. My uncle is a fireman, one cousin is a police officer, and my grandfather also used to be a fireman. So it was drilled into us from an early age from family as well as school etc, not to misuse emergency numbers.
I watched a TV show a few months ago about all the stupid calls the emergency services get. They include gems such as people trying to order a pizza; someone calling because they want someone to come and change a lightbulb for them, and a grown man calling to whine about the fact his girlfriend had confiscated his XBox.  ::) None of these are emergencies!!!  >:(
It just infuriates me SO MUCH when people abuse emergency numbers. Someone could die trying to get through to the emergency services, while call operators are stuck dealing with idiots like this. I really hope that the people in the hash brown case also get into trouble for wasting police time. Police are busy enough as it is without SS who cannot identify what is an emergency and what isn't.

I went to Pizza Hut today, and my server brought me a Coke (or equivalent, I can't remember the brand), rather than a lemonade. Meh, not a problem - I realise I can speak a little indistinctly at times, and bar that one thing, he was great at his job. I didn't waste police time over it. Even if the exact drink had been a problem for me (which it wasn't), I would never in a million years call the emergency services over it.

Hillia

« Reply #24808 on: December 12, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »
Years ago, I worked with a woman who had recently come to the States from China.  She was new to the city and got lost on the way to work one day.  She had heard about calling 911 for an emergency, and to her, being lost and late to work was an emergency.  She was honestly confused when the dispatcher was abrupt with her.

It did turn into a teaching moment, though, as our group had 3 women from China, all recently arrived, and we were able to have a conversation about what was and was not an emergency to call 911 for.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24809 on: December 12, 2013, 06:34:59 PM »
The only way that I can see that being a legitimate emergency call is if someone turned out to be having a life threatening allergic reaction to something in their food (say, peanut oil not being mentioned as what the food was fried in or something along those lines).  No medical emergency?  No robber with a knife or gun?  No grill on fire and it's spreading to the structure*?

NOT an emergency!

*Drove past a restaurant some twelve years ago now and saw pale flames (it was daylight) shooting up out of their chimney - called the emergency number on my cell to report the fire while VorGuy tried to convince me that I was over-reacting and it was "only smoke" from their bbq smoker...by the time he turned around, the employees were evacuating the customers and seconds later there were emergency vehicles responding.  On our way home a short while later, we had to take a large detour as the trucks were still engaged in keeping the fire from spreading to neighboring businesses - there was smoke, heat, and water damage - but they kept the fire itself from spreading.

Plastic canopies melt...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?