Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5538074 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24810 on: December 12, 2013, 08:51:13 PM »
The thing is, the "cost" to using 911 is purposely low.  The higher the barrier to entry, the less you'll have people call - and this includes people who genuinely need emergency help.  People occasionally propose a charge for calling, but all that does is punish anyone who can't afford the cost of being wrong.  (And I happen to think that particular link is one of the most SS things I've read online . . .)  On a more basic level, though, it's much worse for someone to not get help than they need it than for someone to waste time - which is why we may roll our eyes about the strange non-emergencies people call about, but there's really no good way to stop them without hurting people.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24811 on: December 12, 2013, 08:57:24 PM »
It just infuriates me SO MUCH when people abuse emergency numbers. Someone could die trying to get through to the emergency services, while call operators are stuck dealing with idiots like this. I really hope that the people in the hash brown case also get into trouble for wasting police time. Police are busy enough as it is without SS who cannot identify what is an emergency and what isn't.
Note: this is specific to my county.  Others may have different regulations.

Not only is the 911 operator and the police dispatcher (some places they are different people) tied up with this, but the dispatcher in the family says that when someone calls and wants the police, they MUST send someone, no matter how ridiculous and trivial.  They can't say "Really? McD's didn't give you any hashbrowns?  DO NOT waste our time with nonsense like that!" 

Now in this case when the other customer and the manager called about the aggressive customer, THAT was an emergency.  He was already behind the counter and screaming at them.  If he'd gone full-on berserk, he could have caused serious injury to someone. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:01:18 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lauds

« Reply #24812 on: December 12, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »
The thing is, the "cost" to using 911 is purposely low.  The higher the barrier to entry, the less you'll have people call - and this includes people who genuinely need emergency help.  People occasionally propose a charge for calling, but all that does is punish anyone who can't afford the cost of being wrong.  (And I happen to think that particular link is one of the most SS things I've read online . . .)  On a more basic level, though, it's much worse for someone to not get help than they need it than for someone to waste time - which is why we may roll our eyes about the strange non-emergencies people call about, but there's really no good way to stop them without hurting people.

Here in NZ you do get charged for false 111 calls (111 is our equivalent of 911). The first false call you don't get charged but any after that is about $6 per call. So if you let your toddler play with the phone it can get quite expensive.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #24813 on: December 13, 2013, 08:20:21 AM »
It just infuriates me SO MUCH when people abuse emergency numbers. Someone could die trying to get through to the emergency services, while call operators are stuck dealing with idiots like this. I really hope that the people in the hash brown case also get into trouble for wasting police time. Police are busy enough as it is without SS who cannot identify what is an emergency and what isn't.

I had a friend once who was living with his mother (he was in his 30s), and she called the police because he wanted to eat the chicken that he'd prepared for dinner instead of the salad that she'd made.
I am not making this up.  The police actually had to come to her house for this.   
She was a real whackaloon.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #24814 on: December 13, 2013, 09:14:49 AM »
Note: this is specific to my county.  Others may have different regulations.

Not only is the 911 operator and the police dispatcher (some places they are different people) tied up with this, but the dispatcher in the family says that when someone calls and wants the police, they MUST send someone, no matter how ridiculous and trivial.  They can't say "Really? McD's didn't give you any hashbrowns?  DO NOT waste our time with nonsense like that!" 

Now in this case when the other customer and the manager called about the aggressive customer, THAT was an emergency.  He was already behind the counter and screaming at them.  If he'd gone full-on berserk, he could have caused serious injury to someone.

A very good family friend is a dispatcher for the state police in her state.  When the first snow storm of the year hit, she was able to tell people in certain circumstances, "I do not have any cars to dispatch for this as we're dealing with the snow.  If you want to report it, please come down to the station or wait until the snow storm passes."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #24815 on: December 13, 2013, 09:18:20 AM »
The woman on the highway last week who was weaving in and out of traffic holding her entire left arm out of the window with the middle finger extended.   ???
I don't know who it was intended for. Everyone? She was just driving along, changing lanes and saluting the other 3 lanes of traffic.
I will admit I had to laugh at her.  It was just such a baffling sight.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Yarnspinner

« Reply #24816 on: December 13, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »
We had a small (two inches) snow storm this week.  (Preparation, I guess, for the seven to twelve inches expected tomorrow)

Anyway, I was stuck behind someone who must have been afraid of hitting black ice, or afraid of OTHER people hitting black ice because he or she was driving down the center of the two right hand lanes effectively preventing anyone from passing them.  They kept their speed to a nice brisk five miles per hour.  If you tried to pass, they just got further into the left hand lane....

What made it super special was that when we got to the light, he or she slid back into the right hand lane...and, despite being afraid of going fast while on the straightaway, had no problems with suddenly making a right hand turn, despite the oncoming traffic from the left.  I mean, they had a RED light and drove directly in front of oncoming traffic. 

The driver behind me was as baffled as I was.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24817 on: December 13, 2013, 10:42:40 AM »
Years ago, I worked with a woman who had recently come to the States from China.  She was new to the city and got lost on the way to work one day.  She had heard about calling 911 for an emergency, and to her, being lost and late to work was an emergency.  She was honestly confused when the dispatcher was abrupt with her.

It did turn into a teaching moment, though, as our group had 3 women from China, all recently arrived, and we were able to have a conversation about what was and was not an emergency to call 911 for.

Yeah, a new arrival who is genuinely confused gets a pass. Joe Snowflake who has lived here all his life and calls 911 because he got a mocha latte instead of a mocha frappuchino needs to have the book thrown at him.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MissRose

« Reply #24818 on: December 13, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »
The holiday school concert snowflakes seemed to be out in full force recently at my nephew then niece's schools recently:

*Parents that were not trying to keep younger siblings quiet during the performances

*Kids who were old enough to keep quiet during each number that were not doing so.  I had to turn around a few times and place my finger to my mouth to get their attention quietly as I needed to video my niece's group for my sister who was not able to get off work to see her daughter & her grade's performance.  I do not need to hear their loud whispering.

*People around me talking even in whispers during the performances

*People getting up to snap pictures and/video the performance - the way they were doing so.  I'd rather they do so from their seat quietly or at least be in a place then stay there during the number then move after the number not during it.

*The drivers in the parking lots not always watching for other cars pulling in/out and the pedestrians.  Mix the snow and cold with it, and it was a good thing no accidents were caused.

Isilleke

« Reply #24819 on: December 13, 2013, 01:04:23 PM »
I don't know if I was the snowflake or not. I'd like to believe that I wasn't, but I'm not that sure anymore.

I got on a very full bus today, but didn't want to wait another hour so I got in anyway. After a couple of stops I could go further in the back  instead of standing directly in front of the door so I did. Upon which I discovered that at the back of the bus there were 3 open places. This  child was sitting in the middle of two, so I asked/told him "can I sit please". He did say something that I didn't understand, but moved anyway. Five minutes later it became clear to me what he had said, namely that there was someone sitting there, but he was talking with some other kids. Allow me to explain. A school was coming back from an outing and there were about 15 children and 2 or 3 teachers.

On one hand I do feel a little bit guilty, but on the other hand I was thinking "people were standing thisclose to eachother and you expect to have a seat but not use it? That struck me as snowflakey, but I'm sure they saw me as the snowflake one. I'm sure they do because after I became aware of what I did the boy and his teacher came to sit behind me and I heard them talking about me being rude.

I don't know, I probably was in their eyes. I didn't mean to, but I wouldn't be happy either if someone took my seat and consider them rude as well. BUT I don't feel this applies to a bus (especially when people are packed like sardines), I think the teacher should have explained that when in public you can't assume your seat/table/... stays yours when you are not occupying it for a long period of time instead of berating me behind my back.

greencat

« Reply #24820 on: December 13, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »
A veritable blizzard of snowflakes at work today.

You see, another part of my department had sent out a message to inform Head Honchos of other departments that things were changing, and in order to have certain widgets work the way they've been doing after the change, the Head Honchos needed to send my department a request to have them updated.

Exactly one Honcho responded to the request immediately.  The rest sent them today (Friday the 13th), wanting the widgets updated before the change took effect.  The email notifying the Honchos of the change went out November 20th.  The change takes effect Monday the 16th.

I fully expect a blizzard of complaints on Monday from both these snowflakes wanting to know why their requests weren't fulfilled before the change, and new ones who ignored the original email and didn't request widget updates wanting to know why things aren't working anymore.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #24821 on: December 13, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
I'm nominating my uncle (Uncle 1).  He's throwing a fit because my other uncle (Uncle 2), who lives a couple hours away, isn't making the drive down here on Christmas.  Uncle 2 had promised to house- and dog-sit for someone who would be traveling this Christmas, and he made this promise before Uncle 1 'invited' him.

Uncle 1 has tried to drag my mother and I into it by ranting while we were over there, and I just about had blood in my mouth from biting my tongue.  No, Uncle 1, I don't agree with you.  If someone had promised Uncle 1 something, then reneged because someone else invited them to such-and-such, he would go nuclear.  But it's okay for him to expect others to break promises for him?  Nuh-uh.  Oh, and using his kids as leverage in said argument was pretty low, IMO.  "You know what?  That's fine!  If he doesn't want to see his nieces, that's fine!"  This said in front of the girls, who were innocently coloring and every now and then shooting their father confused looks.

Last night, my mom got a text from Uncle 2, saying that Uncle 1 had basically blown his top over it.  My mom does not want to get in the middle of it, and hasn't (as far as I know) answered the text.

The person Uncle 2 promised to house- and dog-sit for?  His ex-wife, whom he is still friends with, and who very recently really helped him out of one heck of a jam.  The dogs are with her, but they got them when they were still together.  The way I see it, it's Uncle 2's choice to spend Christmas however he chooses, and he owes his ex-wife more than he owes Uncle 1.

So, yeah.  Uncle 1, life-long Special Snowflake, and unlikely to change.  ::)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #24822 on: December 13, 2013, 03:03:35 PM »
A veritable blizzard of snowflakes at work today.

You see, another part of my department had sent out a message to inform Head Honchos of other departments that things were changing, and in order to have certain widgets work the way they've been doing after the change, the Head Honchos needed to send my department a request to have them updated.

Exactly one Honcho responded to the request immediately.  The rest sent them today (Friday the 13th), wanting the widgets updated before the change took effect.  The email notifying the Honchos of the change went out November 20th.  The change takes effect Monday the 16th.

I fully expect a blizzard of complaints on Monday from both these snowflakes wanting to know why their requests weren't fulfilled before the change, and new ones who ignored the original email and didn't request widget updates wanting to know why things aren't working anymore.

Years ago I had the same thing happen.  I was typing up a list of approved hospital abbreviations for a major hospital inspection (as a favor to my boss - no good deed goes unpunished), so the hospital commander put out the call for people to send me e-mails with their departmental abbreviations to be incorporated into the list.  Most did - but I got a few nasty e-mails and phone calls from people who waited until the last minute to contact me, and as a result another department's abbreviation was being used on the list instead of theirs.  When I'd point out that I was just the typist and the orders came from Colonel Bigshot, and that they'd had a month to get this information to me I would hear, "I'm busy treating patients.  I don't have time for this."  I'd tell them to take it up with Colonel Bigshot. 

I started typing this list in 2001; by 2004 when I left to move out of state it was still being bounced back to me.  I started referring to it as a paper boomerang.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24823 on: December 13, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »
The folks who refuse to merge until the last possible minute.

Really, it's not a construction thing, this is something that is just part of driving down this road, it goes from a four lane road to a two lane road. (two lanes going each way to one lane each way just before a bridge) and it's been that way the whole four years I've lived here, folks.

Which means please stop waiting till the LAST possible minute to merge? Traffic is going slow enough on that road today, we surely don't need anyone backing it up further because they're trying to get in and couldn't do it earlier!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24824 on: December 13, 2013, 03:25:09 PM »
Counter to the above, the people who will not let merging traffic in. I try to be considerate, pace myself at the same speed, but some drivers consider it their purpose to speed up and keep merging cars from getting in. Ugh!