Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5649532 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24870 on: December 20, 2013, 10:28:14 AM »
I went to Walmart last night.

I don't know what I was thinking, I'd forgotten to get dog food all day and well...they have it there and...the dogs need food....so I went.

Anyways I was trying to get in line to pay and this woman is blocking the aisle I'm in with her cart and her kids (the youngest looked about 9, the others all teens) and the youngest one is just screaming at the top of his lungs for someone....or something...I don't know. And mom is just....standing there. Not moving. Finally I say "Excuse me, I need to get through" and started moving towards the registers, hoping she'd move the cart forward. At this point I was just thinking she was a bit rude and spacey but not snowflakey (and that maybe we should get the kid to quiet down). Then she speaks.

"Back off! Just BACK OFF!! I'm CHRISTMAS shopping!!!!! You don't need to get through!!! JUST BACK OFF!!!", ok, I've activated the crazy. I can't go backwards because I'm blocked by people shopping in the aisle, she's lost her mind and won't move, the kid is still screaming about something and now I'm feeling trapped and anxious. Time to try again, sweet as pie smile, "Ma'ma I just need to get to the registers, I'll just slip right on by if you'll move just a little this way", stay calm, I will be able to get out. "I told you I'm CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!! I will move when I'm dingdangity good and ready to move!" and now the kids start in "She doesn't have to move!", "You should move, move to Jupiter!" (is that an insult? Is Jupiter bad?), the older girls said some things I can't say here that would've resulted in my mouth being washed out with soap. Then mom talks again "Some people, just calm down lady" and continues to stand and stare. Finally I just turned around and asked the other ladies behind me "I'm sorry, could I get back through here, I really just want to pay" they were nice enough to let me through.

Before crazy lady there was one in the candle aisle I was in who flipped out as well when I walked next to her cart, she started saying "Don't you rush me! I was here first!" and then when I picked up a candle "I saw that first, I want it! Give it to me!" I just decided to ignore her. I didn't like the candle so I put back down and she grabbed it right up.

Note to self: avoid Walmart.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #24871 on: December 20, 2013, 10:51:21 AM »
Supermarkets... Christmas... #shudder#

What IS it about people that they panic before Christmas in supermarkets? Why do they think they need to buy all the food in the world EVER? And I confess, I'm as guilty of this as anyone else. Is it some sort of race memory of the Bad Old Days when the shops shut at lunchtime on Christmas Eve and didn't open again until Jan 2nd? But we lay in food as if for a siege, forgetting that everything is open again on Boxing Day.

But with that as a given, can we have consensus that actually at the till, with half your shopping already packed, on the Friday before Christmas, is TOTALLY NOT the time to start the discussion with your wife about whether the electronic DooDah which the cashier has already put through the till is the wrong gift for Granny?

Mal

« Reply #24872 on: December 20, 2013, 10:55:29 AM »
I'm a pretty mellow person, but the pressure of not having all of my Christmas presents yet gets even me nervous. It's like a knot in my stomach until I'm finally all set. I felt that again today when I got the last gift of the season :)
It's by no means okay to turn into a raging lunatic in a supermarket, but I kind of get the place where the crazy started.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #24873 on: December 20, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »

I don't know what I was thinking, I'd forgotten to get dog food all day and well...they have it there and...the dogs need food....so I went.

Anyways I was trying to get in line to pay and this woman is blocking the aisle I'm in with her cart and her kids (the youngest looked about 9, the others all teens) and the youngest one is just screaming at the top of his lungs for someone....or something...I don't know. And mom is just....standing there. Not moving. Finally I say "Excuse me, I need to get through" and started moving towards the registers, hoping she'd move the cart forward. At this point I was just thinking she was a bit rude and spacey but not snowflakey (and that maybe we should get the kid to quiet down). Then she speaks.

"Back off! Just BACK OFF!! I'm CHRISTMAS shopping!!!!! You don't need to get through!!! JUST BACK OFF!!!", ok, I've activated the crazy. I can't go backwards because I'm blocked by people shopping in the aisle, she's lost her mind and won't move, the kid is still screaming about something and now I'm feeling trapped and anxious. Time to try again, sweet as pie smile, "Ma'ma I just need to get to the registers, I'll just slip right on by if you'll move just a little this way", stay calm, I will be able to get out. "I told you I'm CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!! I will move when I'm dingdangity good and ready to move!" and now the kids start in "She doesn't have to move!", "You should move, move to Jupiter!" (is that an insult? Is Jupiter bad?), the older girls said some things I can't say here that would've resulted in my mouth being washed out with soap. Then mom talks again "Some people, just calm down lady" and continues to stand and stare. Finally I just turned around and asked the other ladies behind me "I'm sorry, could I get back through here, I really just want to pay" they were nice enough to let me through.

Before crazy lady there was one in the candle aisle I was in who flipped out as well when I walked next to her cart, she started saying "Don't you rush me! I was here first!" and then when I picked up a candle "I saw that first, I want it! Give it to me!" I just decided to ignore her. I didn't like the candle so I put back down and she grabbed it right up.

Glitter, you showed remarkable restraint.  What is it about this time of year that turns people into maniacs? I was grocery shopping right after Thanksgiving--buying regular food, not rolls and rolls of cookie dough (over which there was a brutal battle raging).  I had reached the chicken breasts (needed for a Clean Eating recipe) and as I reach out to compare two packages of meat, I feel this odd sensation to my right and look---and there is a man and his cart, standing next to me.  Any closer and he would have been among me.  I moved down to accomodate him and he just moved to stand on top of me again.  Turned out he wanted the WHOLE chicken with bones on my left hand side.  Why he couldn't go around me to get them is one of those real life mysteries we cannot solve.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #24874 on: December 20, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »

This exact reason is why I visit Walmart at 3am in the morning.  There are still crazy people around, but there are fewer of them and can be avoided

PrettySticks

« Reply #24875 on: December 20, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »
I remember reading once about a daycare or preschool in Israel (I think?) that had a problem with chronic lateness, so they instituted a fee.  I think it was $3 for every 5 minutes?  And then people started being *more* late!  There was a study where they were trying to figure out why, exactly, this was the case.  It turned out that the reason was two things.  One was, instituting a fee rather than a penalty told people that it was okay to be late... as long as you were willing to pay the fee.  So people who before felt that being late was morally wrong, or that a calamity would occur, and who thus hurried to get their kids on time, now relaxed, figuring that at the worst, they'd have to pay a free.  The other was that the fee was too low.  Because it was too low, people saw it as being just a service offered, rather than a penalty.  They made the fee much higher (no idea what, sorry), and the lateness went way down.  It was an interesting study in how disincentives work, and how if a penalty for wrong behavior isn't high enough, it can make people think that the wrong behavior is okay since they'll pay the fee, and so they no longer think of the wrong behavior as being wrong.

MommyPenguin, I remember that study! I believe it was in the book Freakonomics.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #24876 on: December 20, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »

This exact reason is why I visit Walmart at 3am in the morning.  There are still crazy people around, but there are fewer of them and can be avoided

I went to my Walmart at 6pm last night, and it's one of the HUGE Walmarts, too.  I managed to get in and out in 15 minutes (only needed one item), and everybody was smiling and pleasant and no screaming.
I feel like I won a prize or something.   :D

bloo

« Reply #24877 on: December 20, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
"You should move, move to Jupiter!" (is that an insult? Is Jupiter bad?)

Only the atmosphere. Everything else is probably just about perfect!

You are not kidding. >:( I note that to myself November 1st thru the end of December.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #24878 on: December 20, 2013, 05:03:01 PM »
Supermarkets... Christmas... #shudder#

What IS it about people that they panic before Christmas in supermarkets? Why do they think they need to buy all the food in the world EVER? And I confess, I'm as guilty of this as anyone else. Is it some sort of race memory of the Bad Old Days when the shops shut at lunchtime on Christmas Eve and didn't open again until Jan 2nd? But we lay in food as if for a siege, forgetting that everything is open again on Boxing Day.

But with that as a given, can we have consensus that actually at the till, with half your shopping already packed, on the Friday before Christmas, is TOTALLY NOT the time to start the discussion with your wife about whether the electronic DooDah which the cashier has already put through the till is the wrong gift for Granny?

You're making me not want to go to the grocery store, even though we need kitty litter.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24879 on: December 20, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »

You are not kidding. >:( I note that to myself November 1st thru the end of December.

I'm avoiding our Walmart like the plague until well after Christmas.  I was relieved when Dh's aunt told us that replacing our back door window (Uncle's trade) was our Christmas gift because it means we're unlikely to get the usual Walmart gift cards from them.   Well the kids get them, we don't, but even while we're telling the boys to say thank you I'm usually inwardly groaning cause it means we have to go there. 

Though in all truth our Walmart isn't too bad, SS wise, but I don't enjoy shopping there as a rule anyway.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Amara

« Reply #24880 on: December 20, 2013, 07:11:22 PM »
What IS it about people that they panic before Christmas in supermarkets? Why do they think they need to buy all the food in the world EVER?

That is an excellent question. I don't have an answer, just a personal strategy. Tomorrow morning, early, I plan to shop for groceries (and cat litter/food) to last me the next ten or eleven days.  Fortunately, I am not making Christmas dinner. But all salad makings, vegetables, fruit, and milk and other necessary items will fill my cart. (Thankfully, the new market, Fresh Market, opened here last week and I used their "buy $100 worth of groceries and get $25 off" coupon to stock up on meat.) I will leave the market craziness to others.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24881 on: December 20, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »
No one in this scenario was a SS but it kind of fits with the Walmart stuff.

My supervisor asked me the other day if I'd be heading to Costco in the next few days.  I told him, 'Not a chance!'  He then explained that he was trying to buy a gift for his wife that Costco had a good deal on.  Their card is in his wife's name and he'd have to take her with him, which obviously, he didn't want to do.  He was going to see if anyone else was heading there.

I felt bad afterwards but I have no interest in hitting Costco until well into the New Year.  But I went to him today and let him know that if he picked me up in time to hit Costco for opening tomorrow and we ran in and got that one thing and got out, I'd go with him.  But he ended up getting the same deal at another store so it all worked out.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

andi

« Reply #24882 on: December 20, 2013, 10:41:57 PM »
My hubby works in retail grocery - has for 25 years. Oh the stories of the crazies he could tell!!  The vest are of the upscale ladies that get into fist fights over the last pies.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24883 on: December 20, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »

ACK!!! No, no, no!  Unless you are seriously underweight and wish to weigh over twice what you do now, don't go to Jupiter!  Weigh 150 pounds (68 kilos) here, and you'd weigh 354.6 pounds (160 kilos) there!  *wanders off, weeping quietly*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

bloo

« Reply #24884 on: December 21, 2013, 01:18:45 AM »

ACK!!! No, no, no!  Unless you are seriously underweight and wish to weigh over twice what you do now, don't go to Jupiter!  Weigh 150 pounds (68 kilos) here, and you'd weigh 354.6 pounds (160 kilos) there!  *wanders off, weeping quietly*

Oh well if thats the case forget the whole thing! :-)

I only meant its perfect in the sense that there are no Walmarts and no Special Snowflakes!  ::)