Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5747035 times)

BB-VA

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24885 on: December 21, 2013, 06:29:49 AM »
"You should move, move to Jupiter!" (is that an insult? Is Jupiter bad?)

Only the atmosphere. Everything else is probably just about perfect!

Note to self: avoid Walmart.

You are not kidding. >:( I note that to myself November 1st thru the end of December.

Heck, I stay out of Walmart from 11/1 - 2/1, to avoid the return season.   Walmartians are bad enough the rest of the year.l
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

southern girl

« Reply #24886 on: December 21, 2013, 08:03:24 AM »

. . . and now the kids start in "She doesn't have to move!", "You should move, move to Jupiter!" (is that an insult? Is Jupiter bad?)

Maybe the kids were talking about Jupiter, Florida.  They have several Wal-Marts there and the weather is great this time of year.   ;)

Mal

« Reply #24887 on: December 21, 2013, 08:42:48 AM »
Heck, I stay out of Walmart from 11/1 - 2/1, to avoid the return season.   Walmartians are bad enough the rest of the year.l

For some reason, I'm trying to imagine what Marvin The Walmartian might look like...

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24888 on: December 21, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »

For some reason, I'm trying to imagine what Marvin The Walmartian might look like...

He's already dressed badly - turning him into a Walmartian is...brain bleach, please.  I need to stop thinking about it...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Jocelyn

« Reply #24889 on: December 21, 2013, 12:40:04 PM »
Hm-m-m, sounds like a company for which I used to work.  They had a problem with employees coming in late and arriving late for meetings.  Promptness was not optional according to the 4 partners.  They took a large clear plastic jar and labeled it as "late fine."  If you were late for work or a meeting, you had to put $1 in the jar.  At the time, I was barely making ends meet and resented every penny I had to spend for everything, so I was especially careful to be early.  Other employees, not so much.  One guy said he liked the new system because he was late all the time and they gave him no end of grief for his tardiness, but now all he had to do was put a dollar bill in the jar and he was home free.

The partners realized they needed to take disciplinary action against transgressors if they wanted anyone to change their habits.  Putting the dollar in the jar was an acceptable cost for not stressing out getting to work on time.
Make the contents of the jar payable to the first person who arrived for the meeting?

purplerainbow

« Reply #24890 on: December 21, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »
Teacher in Yellow department, who decided to be a lazy jerk.  ::)
I work in a school part time, during the afternoons. Sometimes, as was the case this week, I'll do extra hours invigilating exams, or somesuch. This week was mock exams, meaning that the papers had to be delivered to departments after the exam, rather than sent away. So, exam finished, and I took the papers for Yellow subject to my desk to staple any extra sheets to the exam papers. I checked on our computer system where teachers from Yellow department could be found during that lesson; most of them were teaching (I don't like interrupting lessons), and some were doing other stuff that didn't say which rooms they were in. Not wanting to waste my time on a wild goose chase, I noted that Yellow were timetabled to have a departmental meeting immediately after lunch. My desk is next door to the staff room, where I know at least several members of the department eat their lunch. So, I could wait 20 minutes to drop the papers off to someone from Yellow at lunch, and get on with other work I needed to do in the meantime. Literally, my brief for the papers was that they be delivered to someone in Yellow department. Simples, right?
Nuh-uh. When the teacher from Yellow dept arrived in the staffroom for lunch, I gave him the box of papers, which were all neatly divided into class groups. It was one box, not heavy at all, of papers his department needed to mark over Christmas break, and I wasn't asking him to go out of his way, at all. All he needed to do, was take those papers with him when he left the staff room to go to the departmental meeting, and everyone could have their papers.
He tried to joke, acting like he was too cool or whatever to carry the box to next period. He had a real attitude of, "nah, not my teaching time, so I'm not lifting a finger." But what really bugged me, was how he acted like my time wasn't at all valuable. I had a list of stuff to do for my afternoon work, which started immediately after lunch break.
He left the box in the staffroom, taking only his class's papers. I'm satisfied that I did what was required of me, but annoyed that Yellow SS thought he was above doing one simple thing that didn't even involve him going out of his way AT ALL, plus the insinuation that my time isn't valuable, etc. Gah.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, because I don't like this), I know that he messes other staff around too. For example, in certain classes, he is supposed to keep all the students registered for his class in his classroom - he is not allowed to let them go to other classes. This is to make the burden on each teacher equal for that particular session. Yellow SS? Constantly allowed kids to go to the library, because hey, there's another teacher there, so SS has n fewer kids to deal with for that period.

He's the sort of guy who's good fun to have around, but if you need him to do anything, forget it. He's the first to get involved in after-work drinks, but if he thinks he can get away with something, he will.

chigger

« Reply #24891 on: December 22, 2013, 05:54:34 AM »
Walmartians--heh heh!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24892 on: December 23, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
I nominate my DH because, although he abhors Wally Mart and refuses to shop there, he sends me to buy stuff that either isn't available anywhere else or is a lot more expensive elsewhere. :P
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

turtleIScream

« Reply #24893 on: December 24, 2013, 01:06:05 PM »
We are visiting my in-laws and staying at a hotel for a couple of days. Last night, we met a very special snowflake. We went to bed around 10:30, but couldn't fall asleep right away because of people talking in the hall and loudly closing doors. But, although it was annoying, we understand that some level of noise is to be expected. Fortunately, the noise died down, and I finally drifted under just before midnight. At 12:23, I was awakened by pounding footsteps and a child's shriek. I jumped out of bed, went into the hallway, and saw a young boy (about 2) running full tilt up and down the length of the hall. He was laughing and counting the number of doors he passed, while his dad followed behind! To make it even better, this was a pet-friendly hotel, and the noise woke several dogs who all started barking (until this happened, I was unaware of other dogs on the floor). The SS dad made no move to corral his son, or quiet him down.

We met the second SS at breakfast. The breakfast area was very crowded. Several people were standing to eat because the tables were full. One lady sat at her table with her meal remnants in front of her. She was very clearly done eating, but made no move to vacate her table while she played on her phone.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Shalamar

« Reply #24894 on: December 24, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »
turtleIScream's story reminded me of the one my co-worker told about her husband and son.  Her son is 11, so old enough to know better, and her husband definitely is.  The three of them were staying in a hotel, and Husband decided to roughhouse with Son fairly early in the morning (7:00 a.m. or thereabouts).  They made so much noise, management came to knock on their door to ask them to cut it out. 

Ten minutes later, Husband decides to start roughhousing with Son again.  This time, management wasn't quite so polite.  They said in no uncertain terms that, if there was a third complaint, the three of them would be kicked out of the hotel. 

Thankfully, Husband took the hint that time.   :o

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24895 on: December 24, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
At 12:23, I was awakened by pounding footsteps and a child's shriek. I jumped out of bed, went into the hallway, and saw a young boy (about 2) running full tilt up and down the length of the hall. He was laughing and counting the number of doors he passed, while his dad followed behind! To make it even better, this was a pet-friendly hotel, and the noise woke several dogs who all started barking (until this happened, I was unaware of other dogs on the floor). The SS dad made no move to corral his son, or quiet him down.
Not that it is an acceptable excuse, but I suspect the father was trying to *unwind* the little boy by letting him run.  I'm not a parent, but the time (after midnight) leads me to think/hope he was just a parent desperate to get his overexcited kid to go to bed in unfamiliar surroundings.

We are SSs: Our dog should be leashed at all times when she is on the property.  Our building has interior/enclosed hallways.  We play fetch in the hall with Honey Girl.  We call it "Hall Ball."  I taught her a special command, "Ditch," where she runs into our unit with the ball in case someone scowls at us.  So far, so good.  All our permanent neighbors pause and play with her. (Our building is a condotel, so some of us own our units, some rent long term, and some are vacation rentals/timeshares).  HG is not allowed to bark or growl in the building.  Amazingly, because she is dachshund/terrier, she complies with this restriction.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24896 on: December 24, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »
The van that came in with us yesterday. My mom's development has a gatehouse at the entrance, with two lanes, each with a gate. The left side is for guests, and the guard opens it for you, after you have been verified. Right is for residents, and you put in a code and the gate opens. We came in simultaneously with a van, and the guard opened the left gate for it. But he then cut over and went right, pcausing the gate to then come down with a glancing blow on mom's car ( after one car it comes down). Fortunately she has a wheelchair car topper which will be replaced, but even so, she was annoyed.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24897 on: December 25, 2013, 11:10:41 PM »
The man who lives down the street and rides his motorcycle while revving the engine in between the buildings, for effect.

The other man who lives at the end of my block and loudly broadcasts music for 6-7 hours at a time from his garage.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #24898 on: December 25, 2013, 11:52:47 PM »
We had a blizzard of special snowflakes tonight in my area. 25 to 30 teenagers tried to rush an off duty cop at a movie theatre, without buying tickets. She had to use pepper spray, call more police for help, etc. This turned into 600 teenagers showing up in the shopping center's parking lot to riot  :o They were throwing punches, damaging cars and snatching things from other people. It was horrible to watch on tv. Kids were rushing across a busy road to join the fight. And then the little snowflakes got upset when the police took some guy down + put him in handcuffs. Five kids have been arrested so far.

magicdomino

« Reply #24899 on: December 26, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
We had a blizzard of special snowflakes tonight in my area. 25 to 30 teenagers tried to rush an off duty cop at a movie theatre, without buying tickets. She had to use pepper spray, call more police for help, etc. This turned into 600 teenagers showing up in the shopping center's parking lot to riot  :o They were throwing punches, damaging cars and snatching things from other people. It was horrible to watch on tv. Kids were rushing across a busy road to join the fight. And then the little snowflakes got upset when the police took some guy down + put him in handcuffs. Five kids have been arrested so far.

Only five?  Sounds like a least a flurry of snowflakes needs to spend some time melting at a police station.