Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5763848 times)

MissRose

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24900 on: December 26, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »
Recently, my church is calling on the ushers plus a few people per Mass to watch out for the following: people taking from the collection basket as it is passed around, going to the large collection basket placed by the altar to take from the offerings, and/or taking purses during Communion.  Apparently, some people missed the day that the commandment about not stealing.  If someone is truly in need, my church is willing to try to help or direct someone to the right place to get help.

Miss March

« Reply #24901 on: December 26, 2013, 01:11:11 PM »
 :o I can not imagine anyone taking from the plate as it is passed by them. What a thing to do.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

cwm

« Reply #24902 on: December 26, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »
Recently, my church is calling on the ushers plus a few people per Mass to watch out for the following: people taking from the collection basket as it is passed around, going to the large collection basket placed by the altar to take from the offerings, and/or taking purses during Communion.  Apparently, some people missed the day that the commandment about not stealing.  If someone is truly in need, my church is willing to try to help or direct someone to the right place to get help.

:o  >:(

That's not even the least bit cool. The few Catholic churches I've been to have been stingy with aid to the poor in the area, but absolutely nothing excuses behavior like that. (Well, possibly a 2 year old grabbing out of the offering dish, but a responsible parent should be able to put a stop to that very quickly.) Wow. That's just infuriating.

MissRose

« Reply #24903 on: December 26, 2013, 01:47:33 PM »

:o  >:(

That's not even the least bit cool. The few Catholic churches I've been to have been stingy with aid to the poor in the area, but absolutely nothing excuses behavior like that. (Well, possibly a 2 year old grabbing out of the offering dish, but a responsible parent should be able to put a stop to that very quickly.) Wow. That's just infuriating.

As far as I know, it is not youngsters helping themselves.   My church is pretty generous to the poor, and we participate in various local county/community outreach projects to donate food or clothes etc.  I am sure the organizations are checked out as I am sure many call or visit to request help via the diocese then the local churches.  If adults are in need of help, they need to ask not steal from the collection baskets and/or purses.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #24904 on: December 26, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »
The usher next to my mom at church Christmas Eve.  Ushers are typically supposed to help people find seats until until the Gospel or so at our church.  Mainly because sometimes it's easier to find groups of empty seats once people sit down.  We came in, couldn't find 3 seats together and my mom wasn't feeling well, so my dad and I saw one seat empty and told her to sit down, we'd stand in the back with a boatload of other people.  My mom made the comment to the man sitting next to her "Wow, they need some ushers at this mass..." He said "Oh, I'm an usher tonight.....I just didn't feel like doing it.  I deserve MY Christmas too."   :o :o :o

Um, no.  Being an usher is voluntary.  If you sign up, you do it.  If you don't want to, no one is forcing you - take your name off the list.  But signing up and then not doing it....not an option.  Oy.

HorseFreak

« Reply #24905 on: December 26, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
A few weeks ago I went to the Opry at the Ryman in Nashville with a friend. We were seated about 10' from the stage and 20' from the performers. We arrived on time and took our seats while the seats in front of us remained empty. 15 minutes into the performance a couple arrived and was seated directly in front of us. They would not stop laughing, waving or talking at full volume and even mocked the performers on stage! At one point an older lady in front of them shushed them and the female of the couple mocked her and mimed pouring beer on her. 50 minutes into the performance out of a 2 hour show their friends arrived and were only a little quieter. I was having trouble watching the show with all the commotion and so I found an usher during intermission. The usher called the head of security who said they take these things VERY seriously and would talk to them.

The group got a very stern lecture and a warning they would be tossed over one more complaint. They asked the woman in front if she had complained and she said no. My friend and I were discussing work things and the female turned around and started drunkenly interrogating us about where we were from and what we were doing. She was the kind of drunk person who is impossible to get to be quiet if they get on a roll and we just kind of looked at her quizzically. When intermission ended their behavior improved a little, but it was impossible to get out of the pew to find the usher again.

The Opry is NOT your typical rock concert where this behavior is tolerated or even condoned. Two of the performers had been Opry members for over 35 years and one group was making their debut.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:18:23 PM by HorseFreak »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24906 on: December 26, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »
The usher next to my mom at church Christmas Eve.  Ushers are typically supposed to help people find seats until until the Gospel or so at our church.  Mainly because sometimes it's easier to find groups of empty seats once people sit down.  We came in, couldn't find 3 seats together and my mom wasn't feeling well, so my dad and I saw one seat empty and told her to sit down, we'd stand in the back with a boatload of other people.  My mom made the comment to the man sitting next to her "Wow, they need some ushers at this mass..." He said "Oh, I'm an usher tonight.....I just didn't feel like doing it.  I deserve MY Christmas too."   :o :o :o

Um, no.  Being an usher is voluntary.  If you sign up, you do it.  If you don't want to, no one is forcing you - take your name off the list.  But signing up and then not doing it....not an option.  Oy.

Wow!! I agree, when one signs up to be an usher they have to understand sometimes they're going to be assigned for a holiday service!  Even when we have children serve as ushers they're more responsible than that guy!  :o
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24907 on: December 26, 2013, 04:20:33 PM »
Aloha HorseFreak;

My husband and I were in Nashville earlier this year.  I attended a professional conference and DH, who is a blues DJ, immersed himself in the Nashville music scene.  He was able to tour the Ryman and take some pictures.  He told me all about it and was only sorry that there were no concerts scheduled during our all-too-brief visit.

Based on that, I would say that the seeing country music performed live in the Ryman is a type of religious experience which should receive the same respect one would give to a church service, albeit with applause at the appropriate times.

We are looking forward to visiting Nashville again, but next time we'll plan to spend more time there.

Midnight Kitty
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

HoneyBee42

« Reply #24908 on: December 26, 2013, 06:12:18 PM »

No kidding!  In my parish, before the holidays, they'll put out sign up sheets for each service (door greeters, ushers, servers, readers, EMHCs).  You sign up (deliberately) for the service in which you wish according to the role that you've been trained on.  Now I suppose if we didn't have enough people for a given role sign up, a person who is known to be trained for the role who is present might be asked to do the particular duty.  Not that we've had a problem with a shortage of people signing up.  But if you really want to just enjoy "your Christmas", the answers are either a) don't sign up at all or b) sign up for one Mass and perform the duty in question and then attend another Mass to just "enjoy your Christmas".   

MerryCat

« Reply #24909 on: December 26, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »

Wow!! I agree, when one signs up to be an usher they have to understand sometimes they're going to be assigned for a holiday service!  Even when we have children serve as ushers they're more responsible than that guy!  :o

I really can't figure out how someone can be entitled enough to think "I'm not going to do thing I voluntarily signed up for because it's my Christmas too."

If it's such an imposition, hows about you just don't sign up?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24910 on: December 26, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »

I really can't figure out how someone can be entitled enough to think "I'm not going to do thing I voluntarily signed up for because it's my Christmas too."

I guess there's the chance someone else signed him up, but he's an adult, he could have approached the person making the schedule and said "Look, someone volunteered me without checking with me first, could you take my name off the list?"

Or there's the chance I suppose that he got shanghai'd into it.  As in "Oops! The one who volunteered to do this got sick and isn't coming to the service, we need an usher!" and someone said "Oh he'll do it" and he didn't feel he could argue right then and there.

All guesses and none excuse the behavior, just considering possibilities other than one signing up and then refusing.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #24911 on: December 26, 2013, 08:30:33 PM »

There you go introducing logic into the situation....:)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #24912 on: December 27, 2013, 02:42:22 AM »

There you go introducing logic into the situation....:)

Well if he were also breaking wind a lot I might wonder if he wasn't the BIL from the "It's my Christmas too" thread in "Families and Children" in the main folder

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24913 on: December 27, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »
MissRose wrote:

"If adults are in need of help, they need to ask not steal from the collection baskets and/or purses."

The mistake you're making is thinking that those stealing from the church are people in need of help.  Sometimes they're just thieves taking advantage of the goodwill and trust often found in churches to get more.  Not everyone has the moral character to feel guilty about stealing in a church, and such people find churches to be easy pickings.

Virg

cattlekid

« Reply #24914 on: December 27, 2013, 11:52:56 AM »
Yup.  The secretary at my parents' home church stole thousands of dollars from the church office as she had unfettered access to the safe where the collection plates were stored before the treasury committee arrived on Monday morning to count and deposit the previous day's collections. 

This was a few years ago and the same  town just had another instance where a janitor did just about the same thing to another church.

MissRose wrote:

"If adults are in need of help, they need to ask not steal from the collection baskets and/or purses."

The mistake you're making is thinking that those stealing from the church are people in need of help.  Sometimes they're just thieves taking advantage of the goodwill and trust often found in churches to get more.  Not everyone has the moral character to feel guilty about stealing in a church, and such people find churches to be easy pickings.

Virg