Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5536102 times)

weeblewobble

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24915 on: December 27, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
The usher next to my mom at church Christmas Eve.  Ushers are typically supposed to help people find seats until until the Gospel or so at our church.  Mainly because sometimes it's easier to find groups of empty seats once people sit down.  We came in, couldn't find 3 seats together and my mom wasn't feeling well, so my dad and I saw one seat empty and told her to sit down, we'd stand in the back with a boatload of other people.  My mom made the comment to the man sitting next to her "Wow, they need some ushers at this mass..." He said "Oh, I'm an usher tonight.....I just didn't feel like doing it.  I deserve MY Christmas too."   :o :o :o

Um, no.  Being an usher is voluntary.  If you sign up, you do it.  If you don't want to, no one is forcing you - take your name off the list.  But signing up and then not doing it....not an option.  Oy.

Wow!! I agree, when one signs up to be an usher they have to understand sometimes they're going to be assigned for a holiday service!  Even when we have children serve as ushers they're more responsible than that guy!  :o

I really can't figure out how someone can be entitled enough to think "I'm not going to do thing I voluntarily signed up for because it's my Christmas too."

If it's such an imposition, hows about you just don't sign up?

I guess there's the chance someone else signed him up, but he's an adult, he could have approached the person making the schedule and said "Look, someone volunteered me without checking with me first, could you take my name off the list?"

Actually, there's a pretty good chance that happened.  I know someone whose wife volunteers him for EVERYTHING at their church.  Door greeter, usher, Sunday morning coffee/donut committee, sound equipment technician, working shifts for special events, working as a server for the women's luncheons, and on and on.  She ignores his repeated requests that she stop doing this to him, so he shows up and does the worst, laziest job possible.  It's like a super-PA revenge.  She wants him to do all of these things so they look like they're "movers and shakers" in the church, but he messes that up for her by being over the top incompetent.

You might ask, why can't SHE do any of these things, instead of volunteering her husband? She says it's because she has to take care of their young children while they're at church. And no, she doesn't volunteer to work in the church nursery.  It's "too stressful."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24916 on: December 27, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »
Sounds like they end up making themselves look utterly ridiculous.

I admit I don't volunteer much in the nursery because my older two still need a bit more guidance in church etiquette.  (As in not bickering with each other and at least pretending they're paying attention to what's going on) And I don't want to shove that responsibility off on someone else.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Anyanka

« Reply #24917 on: December 30, 2013, 12:16:14 AM »
found two special snowflakes on my way home!

I was walking in the store parking lot when i saw two cars... in the lane people use to drive in. and they were quite near the enterance/exit of the parking lot. They were parked there, talking to each other. In order to exit the parking lot from that entrance/exit, they had to swerve around the two snowflake drivers in the lanes!

I wondered where they had moved to. They used to live near me and block roads all the time as they drove along side by side talking to each other.
Even Vengence Demons have feelings

proudmama

« Reply #24918 on: December 31, 2013, 01:05:57 PM »
The lady I ran into at the bakery definitely qualifies as a special snowflake.  The bakery that I go to is in a strip mall with about 20 other stores.  The parking lot is huge.  I don't think I've ever seen it more than 1/4 full.  The parking lot has angled parking and it is clearly marked that the traffic direction is one way down each lane.  I pulled into the lane in front of the bakery.  There were a few spots open in the front and I was going to pull into one of those, but before I could do that, a woman driving in the wrong direction, starts beeping her horn and frantically pointing to those spots.  I just drove down the lane and parked a little further down.  Because of the angle of the parking spots, she had a really hard time pulling into the space.  She had to back up many, many times. 

I walked into the bakery and got on a pretty long line.  4 or 5 people walked in after me and got on line.  She walks in and starts telling the people in back of me that she should be in front of me because she was in the parking lot first and that I should have held her place.  One of the guys started laughing and told her that maybe if she drove the right way down the lanes, she would not have to spend 10 minutes trying to park her car and to get in the back of the line where she belongs.  She kept muttering loud enough for everyone to hear that she should be in front of me.  When it was my turn, she tried to call out what she wanted when I was asked what I wanted.  The person helping me smiled and asked me what I needed.  I got my order and left, as she was still muttering how we were all some very not nice things. 

Pen^2

« Reply #24919 on: December 31, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »
proudmama, well done on not engaging the crazy.

Redsoil

« Reply #24920 on: January 01, 2014, 04:33:36 AM »

I was walking in the store parking lot when i saw two cars... in the lane people use to drive in. and they were quite near the enterance/exit of the parking lot. They were parked there, talking to each other. In order to exit the parking lot from that entrance/exit, they had to swerve around the two snowflake drivers in the lanes!

I wondered where they had moved to. They used to live near me and block roads all the time as they drove along side by side talking to each other.

That's standard practice in small rural towns in Australia! :)  We tend to generally have quite wide streets, so mates just pull up in the middle to yarn, and the rest of us just go around (unless one of us also pulls up for a quick g'day - not for too long - three abreast is pushing it a bit).  One of the things I love about rural life.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #24921 on: January 01, 2014, 07:14:08 AM »

That's standard practice in small rural towns in Australia! :)  We tend to generally have quite wide streets, so mates just pull up in the middle to yarn, and the rest of us just go around (unless one of us also pulls up for a quick g'day - not for too long - three abreast is pushing it a bit).  One of the things I love about rural life.

Yes but the beauty of it is that you *can* go around, 'cos nobody else is going that way!     Got to know your audience, and know your surroundings.   I'd never attempt it in the city.   Back home?  Yep!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Shalamar

« Reply #24922 on: January 01, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »
I'd like to nominate the guy at the grocery store who, rather than taking his cart back to the store (which would've taken 20 seconds), decided that leaving it in one of the few handicapped parking spots was close enough.   I audibly said "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?", but he didn't even look at me.

magician5

« Reply #24923 on: January 01, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
Maybe I'm unusual, or (as my wife insists) contrary, but I love finding an empty cart next to (not within) the handicapped space I pull into - or else resting against the "handicapped" signpost in front of the car. Why? Because then I don't have to try to hobble over to the cart corral, or wait for another shopper to emerge so I can beg them for their empty.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

greencat

« Reply #24924 on: January 01, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »
Maybe I'm unusual, or (as my wife insists) contrary, but I love finding an empty cart next to (not within) the handicapped space I pull into - or else resting against the "handicapped" signpost in front of the car. Why? Because then I don't have to try to hobble over to the cart corral, or wait for another shopper to emerge so I can beg them for their empty.

I tend to try and leave my shopping cart close to the handicap spaces, for that exact reason - I've seen many many disabled people get out of their cars and be grateful that there was a cart handy to lean on.  (I used to work in a grocery store and one of the jobs I did for awhile was cart roundup in the parking lot.)

Shalamar

« Reply #24925 on: January 01, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »
Oh yes, "close" to the handicapped spot would've been fine.   But this was right in the middle of the spot, as in a driver would've had to get out of the car first to move the cart before being able to park.

mmswm

« Reply #24926 on: January 01, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
SS police officer and 3 store employees today...

I went to the grocery store to pick up things for dinner.  I left the store, got my little one in the car, loaded his wheelchair and my groceries in the car, got in and started the engine.

The trouble here, is that during all this time, the police officer and store employees were standing in the middle of the parking lot aisle right behind my car, chatting and having a grand old time. This wasn't a problem during the 10 minutes it took to get everything and everybody loaded, but as soon as I turned on my engine and put my car into reverse, they really should have moved.  The didn't.  I waited an additional 5 minutes and was about to get out and ask them to move when another car attempted to drive down the aisle.  They still didn't move, but the other driver laid on his horn and they moved.  I'm about to call the store and complain.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24927 on: January 01, 2014, 05:31:42 PM »
^Yes, they should have moved if they notice you trying of leave, but why did you wait 5 minutes?  Why wouldn't you give a small toot of your horn instead of getting out of the car?  I don't drive so perhaps I'm just missing something? ??? :P

mmswm

« Reply #24928 on: January 01, 2014, 05:38:45 PM »
I figured they'd notice that I'd just started the car and move on their own, then it took a minute to get myself ready to drive (seatbelt, making sure the kids were belted in and such), and then I got a text message so I answered it, since I wasn't moving.  When I was done with the text exchange, I was going to get out, but the other driver eliminated the need for me to do so.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

andi

« Reply #24929 on: January 01, 2014, 06:41:28 PM »
The lady at walmart yesterday who pulled into the "entrance" lane to exit, blocking cars trying to get into the parking lot. Then, instead of safely backing up (plenty of room) and getting into the correct lane, she turned right in front of the car in the actual exit lane as they turned left and in front of me as I was correctly turning right. She almost hit 2 other cars as well. Just shook my head as I tried to stop my heart from pounding out of my chest