Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5285920 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24975 on: January 06, 2014, 08:25:46 PM »
Along those same lines, this news story, though I suspect it might be made up just for fun.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/be-rude-and-ill-unleash-my-kids-on-you/story-fni0cvc9-1226794914343

The problem is that that behavior does get that results. The rest of us need to complain and complain LOUDLY be the squeeky wheel so management and corporate stop appeasing bad parents and instead kick them out.

I remember one time we flew to Washington DC. Because of the timeing of our flight we got to the hotel before "check in time". The travel agent had made arrangements for us to check in early, but something happened and our rooms weren't ready. Dad didn't let sis and I run around causing trouble. He ask if they had a luggage room to hold our luggage, and then we would go stretch our legs and get a bite till the rooms were ready.

They put our luggage in a storgage type room. We went for a walk, ate a light meal, took another walk. Got back to the hotel about 15 min after the time they gave us. Our luggage was already in our rooms. They gave use the keys. We went up. Turned on the TV - and heard the announcement that the then Vice-President had NOT been shot at that day. (A car had backfired near were he was or something). (Stuck in my mind because the then President was injured in an assasination attempt a short while after the trip.)

That was the same trip I posted about before where a SS family had let their kids run loose, and one had injured me in the revolving door (First trapping me - the slamming it forward so the door hit my ankle causing it to fissure bleed profusely.). The management did kick them out. The fact my Dad was on a slow but hot burn + the fact the injury looked deeper/more serious that it was because of my skin condition probably had something to do with their decision.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

MissRose

« Reply #24976 on: January 07, 2014, 07:41:21 AM »
I won't even let my own kids touch my kindle, especially after the lighted cover was rendered unusable after my middle child tried to figure out how it works. And as mine's one with the offers on it, I had to password protect it after the youngest one managed to get onto Amazon.com by hitting the "select" button while it was off and showing a special offer.  Thankfully he didn't manage to order anything but I am not taking any more chances.

No one touches my kindle or my mobile unless I am right there watching you.  At least the few times my sister or her kids have touched either, they know how expensive they are and to take care as they have similar items.

MissRose

« Reply #24977 on: January 07, 2014, 07:46:26 AM »
Yes, the special snowflakes are out in full force with the winter weather: the drivers who go by and have hardly any snow cleaned off their cars - give bonus SS points if the snow they have not removed hits other cars around them;  people who are not watching the traffic when trying to turn on the roads from driveways or from 1 road to another causing a few near misses - my horn was in use a few times to give them warnings ; my mother who thought I'd call off work today just because it was to be around -12 below all day today - but my car started and it took about 45 minutes compared to a 20 minute drive but I arrived in one piece ;

cattlekid

« Reply #24978 on: January 07, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »
Can I add the SS who was tailgating me when I was maintaining the correct spacing between my car and the traffic ahead, even though our streets are snowpacked and slippery as all get out?

Yes, the special snowflakes are out in full force with the winter weather: the drivers who go by and have hardly any snow cleaned off their cars - give bonus SS points if the snow they have not removed hits other cars around them;  people who are not watching the traffic when trying to turn on the roads from driveways or from 1 road to another causing a few near misses - my horn was in use a few times to give them warnings ; my mother who thought I'd call off work today just because it was to be around -12 below all day today - but my car started and it took about 45 minutes compared to a 20 minute drive but I arrived in one piece ;

Margo

« Reply #24979 on: January 07, 2014, 03:49:53 PM »
Can I add the SS who was tailgating me when I was maintaining the correct spacing between my car and the traffic ahead, even though our streets are snowpacked and slippery as all get out?

Absolutely!

I'd like to add in the one who was tailgating me (complete with hand gestures and flashing lights) this morning. We're not having the big freeze you are, we are having torrential rain, lots of localised flooding, very high winds with lots of debris on the road..

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #24980 on: January 07, 2014, 04:17:44 PM »
The undergrads are back in town and fail to remember that you can't walk 4 abreast down the sidewalk, you have to look both ways before crossing a street, you have to cross with the light, you can't meander slowly across the diagonal of an intersection, at a busy street you really should walk down 20 feet and cross in the crosswalk, cyclists have to follow traffic rules, you shouldn't ride a bike on a sidewalk, and the list goes on and on. All of this was in the space of about 10 minutes as I attempted to run an errand on main campus, but I gave up before I became a crazy ranting person.

darling

« Reply #24981 on: January 07, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »
The undergrads are back in town and fail to remember that you can't walk 4 abreast down the sidewalk, you have to look both ways before crossing a street, you have to cross with the light, you can't meander slowly across the diagonal of an intersection, at a busy street you really should walk down 20 feet and cross in the crosswalk, cyclists have to follow traffic rules, you shouldn't ride a bike on a sidewalk, and the list goes on and on. All of this was in the space of about 10 minutes as I attempted to run an errand on main campus, but I gave up before I became a crazy ranting person.

Don't forget the whole "bicyclists must stop at 4-way stops, just like cars do" thing. I swear we had a girl with a death-wish last year who would FLY through the busiest 4-way stop on campus. She never slowed even a bit.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24982 on: January 07, 2014, 06:59:02 PM »
The neighbor who parks in front of our house, thus making M park half a block away half the time.  We have ONE vehicle, dude.  One.  You have two, and one has its own dedicated handicapped spot (his mom's vehicle, not for him... his only handicap is social).  M works twelve hour days most days, doing physical work, and after a forty-five minute commute does NOT need to be walking half a block in the cold, lugging various things to the house (lately, in very cold conditions).  But, if you're going to continue to deliberately and willfully inconvenience us to this degree... could you at least drop the pretending to be our friend shtick?  Be a [REDACTED], don't, I have no control over what you do, but don't blow smoke up the dark place, got it?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24983 on: January 07, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »
The driveways on our block do not line up with the driveways across the street. 

The house across from our driveway and next to us both have two or more cars parked on the street (which is just about three cars wide - leaving a very narrow "lane" in the center to back out into) - but the second car across the street wants to park right where we back out to get out of the driveway....playing "avoid the car behind and the car to the side while hoping no one runs the stop sign on the corner & plows into our car while we're backing out" gets exciting.

Doing it on trash day with two extra things to avoid (our own trash can and the one across the street) was just that little extra ***thrill*** I didn't need this morning.

At least the guy who turned the corner stopped at the stop sign & then turned right & stopped while I came to a stop & change from Reverse to Drive....then pulled toward "my" side of the road to leave him a lot more space on his lane - he was going to have to get in the middle "lane" due to the number of vehicles parked on the both sides of the road and the trash cans....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24984 on: January 07, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »

Don't forget the whole "bicyclists must stop at 4-way stops, just like cars do" thing. I swear we had a girl with a death-wish last year who would FLY through the busiest 4-way stop on campus. She never slowed even a bit.

A friend of mine ranted on Facebook recently about how she couldn't believe she got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. After all, she was on a bicycle! Fortunately, everyone else quickly pointed out that bikes have to follow traffic laws too, thus restoring my face in my friend's list. :)

andi

« Reply #24985 on: January 07, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »
Once again - all the car pool people making the illegal left out of the parking lot this morning. 

sevenday

« Reply #24986 on: January 07, 2014, 11:16:46 PM »
VorFemme - I live in a trailer park. Our "driveways" also don't line up AND are angled.  When you drive from Main Road toward my house, my driveway is on the left and angled toward the road, which means that I have to swing a bit wide to make the turn into the drive.  The neighbor across from me has a driveway that angles away from the road.  For whatever godforsaken reason he or his guest or whoever keeps parking his car in such a way that he eliminates the extra bit of "swing" room that I need in order to get into my own driveway.  Sometimes this happens when there are NO CARS in his own driveway, so I don't see why he doesn't just park them in his own driveway or park it on the other side of his drive (in front of his own house, which does not block anyone else).   

After a period of several weeks in which a car was parked there nearly constantly, I finally went out and put a note on the windshield asking the owner to please respect the park rules (which state no parking on the street) and the neighbors (i.e. me) and pointed out that his choice of parking spot made it difficult for me to enter my own driveway.  When a car is parked there I need to either continue all the way down to the cul-de-sac and turn around, or turn around in someone else's driveway (Which I don't really like to do since it seems so... trespasser-y to me) - yes, it's "only" a few extra minutes to go down, turn around, and come back - but when I'm being inconvenienced because someone else isn't following the rules, I get twitchy.  After the note, they did stop - for a few months. Now the parking is starting again. 

I'm trying to decide whether to leave another polite note or go straight to the park manager and explain all of the above.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #24987 on: January 08, 2014, 12:41:54 AM »
VorFemme - I live in a trailer park. Our "driveways" also don't line up AND are angled.  When you drive from Main Road toward my house, my driveway is on the left and angled toward the road, which means that I have to swing a bit wide to make the turn into the drive.  The neighbor across from me has a driveway that angles away from the road.  For whatever godforsaken reason he or his guest or whoever keeps parking his car in such a way that he eliminates the extra bit of "swing" room that I need in order to get into my own driveway.  Sometimes this happens when there are NO CARS in his own driveway, so I don't see why he doesn't just park them in his own driveway or park it on the other side of his drive (in front of his own house, which does not block anyone else).   

After a period of several weeks in which a car was parked there nearly constantly, I finally went out and put a note on the windshield asking the owner to please respect the park rules (which state no parking on the street) and the neighbors (i.e. me) and pointed out that his choice of parking spot made it difficult for me to enter my own driveway.  When a car is parked there I need to either continue all the way down to the cul-de-sac and turn around, or turn around in someone else's driveway (Which I don't really like to do since it seems so... trespasser-y to me) - yes, it's "only" a few extra minutes to go down, turn around, and come back - but when I'm being inconvenienced because someone else isn't following the rules, I get twitchy.  After the note, they did stop - for a few months. Now the parking is starting again. 

I'm trying to decide whether to leave another polite note or go straight to the park manager and explain all of the above.

couldn't you just call a tow truck? And forget the polite note. you tried it, and now they are ignoring it. I say go to the park manager if you do anything. Or call for a tow.

MrTango

« Reply #24988 on: January 08, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »

couldn't you just call a tow truck? And forget the polite note. you tried it, and now they are ignoring it. I say go to the park manager if you do anything. Or call for a tow.

Agreed.  The visitor parking spaces for my townhouse complex are directly across from my driveway.  If I ever have a situation where someone is parked in my driveway (or blocking access to my driveway), I'm not going to leave a note.  I'll just call the towing company that has the contract with my HOA.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24989 on: January 08, 2014, 01:21:30 PM »
Calling a tow truck might impact long term neighborhood interactions badly...of course, hitting their car won't make things better, either.

I had a nightmare about the situation last night....they are parking right under a street light - I wonder if that light is why they park there?  But moving the street light isn't an option....

Parking in the street myself would just make the congestion worse (we're in the second house from the intersection - the house next door has three cars - Mom, Dad, and college student - the college student has had their vehicle sideswiped at least twice and a large rock tossed through the back window once - they are further from the intersection than we are - but apparently someone didn't notice them parking there in the dark or something).  The rock is a little harder to explain - no notes tied to it.  Just broken glass all around it on the back seat....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?