Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5296175 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25050 on: January 14, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »
Do all of those junker cars have license and registration and insurance on them?  I think it's illegal to park an unregistered car on the road. 

It is in my jurisdiction.  It probably depends on where you live but definitely something to look into.

I got a bit spooked at our old apartment complex once when I came out to find practically every car parked around mine in a small area of the lot labeled with "tow" stickers - except for mine.  Then I looked more closely, and realized that, out of all of the cars in that area, mine was the only one with up to date registration.

Are you talking about state registration? Here in my state you wouldn't be able to get a ticket for non-registration unless you were actively driving the car. But you could be towed in my city if you didn't move a car in 48 hours in a public parking lot.

I know in my last apartment complex as part of your lease, you had to keep up to date state registration on any vehicle parked on the property. If it wasn't up to date, they could tow you. It wasn't a ticket, but since it was private property they were free to have it towed away if you don't follow the parking rules they lined out.

I got a tow sticker one day and I went to find out why, they told me it was because of my out of date registration. My registration was up to date, but my sticker hadn't come in the mail yet. I had to fight with them about not towing my car, since technically I followed the rules.

laughtermed

« Reply #25051 on: January 14, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
Someone posted earlier they never lend their Kindle to anyone. Well, I used to work with a group of people who prided themselves on owning the latest and greatest electronic devices. However, they would see me reading the paper at lunch I would bring with me each day. Some would say, oh, I got rid of my subscription, I  get all the news I need to know on the Internet...and then would request to borrow my paper! I should have said you can have my paper as long as I can borrow your Kindle or I-phone. I really just fibbed and said my kid needed it for school assignments so I had to take it home.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #25052 on: January 15, 2014, 12:40:28 AM »
Update the third on the sign saga: it's gotten WORSE!!

The par officer Nell's been in contact with came out to have a look at the sign today (it was in fact broken off - so there's a very sharp bit of metal pole sticking out the sidewalk now.) Nell and Jules had taped a plastic drink cup over the top of the pole so any kids walking by wouldn't hurt themselves if they arsed around and fell on it, but Jerk had removed the cup. (Really...seven houses down from a middle school...is he TRYING to get people hurt??) Jerk is also insisting, despite the one remaining sign and the full knowledge that what he's doing is very, very illegal, that the space is, in fact, not a PRIVATE space but a PUBLIC one, so he has full rights to use it.

Yeah, my head just about hit the desk at that one too. ???

Par officer reassured Nell that she and Jules are doing exactly the right thing trying to keep that broken pole capped off, and presumably laid into Jerk at some point about his junktastic cars - he's been forced to move at least two of them, including the one blocking the curb right in front of May's house. So it sounds like things are starting to get a little better, right?

Well, the par officer also told Nell something VERY interesting, after Nell mentioned she, Jules, and my six-year-old niece (who we'll call Asha) are living there right now - I'm not entirely sure how it came up, I think it had something to do with Nell being unable to get her car out of the driveway to take Asha to school.

One of the people living in Jerk's house is a registered s*x offender.

(I rather suspect it's Jerk himself, from some passes he's made at me in the past and the way he used to treat Nell when she briefly dated him.)

If it can get worse than this, I really don't want to find out how. *buries face in hands*
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #25053 on: January 15, 2014, 03:06:30 AM »
Oh my dear and fluffy lord...
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #25054 on: January 15, 2014, 04:31:14 AM »
Extra Special Snowflake duel at a strip mall.So this strip mall has parking right in front of the stores-except for the WalMart which has an entry way that the front is flush with the ends of the parking lines. To the right as you look at the store is 4 or 5 handicap spots.

So I was walking towards the entrance and this little Honda Civic sized car zooms past me and parks across 3 of the handicap spaces,  barely missing hitting a car driven by a manas she does so. Two young women pop out of the entry way with a grocery cart filled with bags and two more hop out of the car. The car is at an angle and its but is blocking the car that had been driving- the traffic going the other way is too constant for him to pull around.

The driver says "we'll be done as soon as we get all the bags in!"

The male driver tells her off: she is blocking traffic,  nearly hit him,  etc. The young women start yelling back and suddenly both sides are yelling louder and louder. I stopped to watch. They both start yelling threats until he comes to his senses,  reverses and just leaves.

The (elderly) security guard finally moseys up and the young women -still putting groceries away- tell him about the Evil Meanie and how do they report him?

I think you lose your right to be all self-righteous when a) you nearly hit him and b) you're parked across three handicap spots.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:32:55 AM by iridaceae »

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25055 on: January 15, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »
Snowflake Bridezilla.

So first, I have nothing to do with this wedding, I'm just Facebook friends with these people. I'm not in the wedding, I'm not going to the wedding (though after this I kind of want to see what happens at the wedding), I'm just a quiet observer.

Bride got engaged last January, on New Year's Eve, aw romantic. She asks Friend to be in her wedding, Friend said yes of course I'm so excited for you! So they set the wedding date for April 2014 (this year). Now Friend has been trying to get weight loss surgery (WLS) for sometime and her insurance have her a lot of hoops to hop through and finally hop she did. In June 2013 she has her surgery, Bride is very aware friend is having this surgery and helped her out while she was recovering.

Now it's been almost 7 months since surgery and the wedding is about 4 months away. They all got together to pick out bridesmaid dresses last weekend. Now Bride and Friend haven't seen each other much since Friend had surgery (just both of them being busy), and last weekend Bride realizes something. Friend is now 65lbs lighter and smaller then Bride. This upsets Bride.

Bride has taken to Facebook to whine about how friend should have waited to get WLS, or should have slowed down her weight loss, and how awful it is that she's going to look like a fat bride now!!!! Friend offers to back out of wedding, ok friend says "If it will make you stop whining I'll just drop out of wedding!", which gets Bride in another tizzy that no one cares about her!!! This is her special day and people are ruining it!!!! Some of their friends are actually supporting Bride that Friend should have reconsidered her WLS and scheduled for after the wedding. Friend's responses haven't exactly been e-hell approved.

I'm vowing right here and now to never refer to my wedding as "my special day", I've had a lot of really great special days, this will be just another really great special day to spend with friends and family and make a commitment to the love my life. And I don't care if anyone is bigger or smaller then me.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25056 on: January 15, 2014, 11:01:08 AM »
Good Grief!

WLS isn't a matter of vanity.  It's a matter of health.  The Bride's reaction is way over the top. 

SCMagnolia

« Reply #25057 on: January 15, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »
So the bride picked her attendants based on whether or not they'd make her look skinny???  Wow....  Just.  wow.  I don't blame Friend for being upset, and that is one friendship I'd end rightquickfast and in a BIG hurry.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25058 on: January 15, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
It boggles my mind, the way some brides react about their friends' appearances. If I were getting married, I'd be quite content to have friends to walk with me. Not thinner friends, fatter friends, more presentable friends. If you want to be the cynosure of all eyes, do away with the bridesmaids completely.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shalamar

« Reply #25059 on: January 15, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »
Good grief.  That reminds me of when my friend got engaged, and her mother said "But you can't get married yet - I'm still fat!"

Midge

« Reply #25060 on: January 15, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »
It boggles my mind, the way some brides react about their friends' appearances. If I were getting married, I'd be quite content to have friends to walk with me. Not thinner friends, fatter friends, more presentable friends. If you want to be the cynosure of all eyes, do away with the bridesmaids completely.

I know, right? When I got married, I had my three best friends and my husband's sister as attendants. My MOH was (and is) a bigger girl and if I had to estimate, was probably 50 pounds heavier than she "should have been." Another attendant was chubby, I guess (I feel weird even talking about them this way), another was "normal," as am I, and my SIL was skinny as a rail.

We've been married 26 years, we're still close to everyone in the wedding party, people still talk about what a wonderful time they had, I still look at the pictures and think "that was a terrific day." This may, in fact, be the first time I ever thought about anyone in the bridal party's weight/appearance.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #25061 on: January 15, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
Friend is now 65lbs lighter and smaller then Bride. This upsets Bride.

Bride has taken to Facebook to whine about how friend should have waited to get WLS, or should have slowed down her weight loss, and how awful it is that she's going to look like a fat bride now!!!!

Funny - usually a Bridezilla expects her bridesmaids to lose weight before the wedding so they'll look good in the photos.

"Bride" is going to look like a "fat bride" no matter what if that's how she thinks.

Hopefully "Friend" quickly realizes how shallow Bride is and drops out of both the wedding and the friendship.  A true friend would be happy for her weight loss and subsequent health benefits.

MissRose

« Reply #25062 on: January 15, 2014, 01:22:29 PM »
Both times my sister has been married (she is now divorced), all of us girl attendants were a variety of different sizes and heights.  It did not matter to her one bit.  Not sure why some brides are bent up on appearances of their bridal party.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #25063 on: January 15, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »

My MOH was 8 months pregnant and still smaller than me. I didn't care!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25064 on: January 15, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »
Someone needs to start an agency that supplies attendants to bridezillas who are only concerned about the look of their bridal party.  You know, maybe a set of matched blondes between 5'6" and 5'8", all size 6.  Don't let your fiance insist on his bald, 5'8" 300-lb brother for best man -- rent a 6' 195-lb dark-haired man.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~