Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5751530 times)

doodlemor

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25065 on: January 15, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »
Someone needs to start an agency that supplies attendants to bridezillas who are only concerned about the look of their bridal party.  You know, maybe a set of matched blondes between 5'6" and 5'8", all size 6.  Don't let your fiance insist on his bald, 5'8" 300-lb brother for best man -- rent a 6' 195-lb dark-haired man.

Agency based in Stepford, of course.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25066 on: January 15, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »
It boggles my mind, the way some brides react about their friends' appearances. If I were getting married, I'd be quite content to have friends to walk with me. Not thinner friends, fatter friends, more presentable friends. If you want to be the cynosure of all eyes, do away with the bridesmaids completely.

I know, right? When I got married, I had my three best friends and my husband's sister as attendants. My MOH was (and is) a bigger girl and if I had to estimate, was probably 50 pounds heavier than she "should have been." Another attendant was chubby, I guess (I feel weird even talking about them this way), another was "normal," as am I, and my SIL was skinny as a rail.

We've been married 26 years, we're still close to everyone in the wedding party, people still talk about what a wonderful time they had, I still look at the pictures and think "that was a terrific day." This may, in fact, be the first time I ever thought about anyone in the bridal party's weight/appearance.

This whole thing just boggles my mind. What if Friend hadn't had surgery, but just went on a diet? I lost a lot of weight in the last year, and I was in a wedding. I ended up being lighter than the bride, who was having a lot of weight issues. She didn't care, she was proud of what I'd done. And she was gorgeous, no matter what the relative weights were!

Miss March

« Reply #25067 on: January 15, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
Pippa was rocking that bridesmaid dress, but I didn't think that she detracted in any way how lovely Kate Middleton looked at her wedding!
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

poundcake

« Reply #25068 on: January 15, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »
Someone needs to start an agency that supplies attendants to bridezillas who are only concerned about the look of their bridal party.  You know, maybe a set of matched blondes between 5'6" and 5'8", all size 6.  Don't let your fiance insist on his bald, 5'8" 300-lb brother for best man -- rent a 6' 195-lb dark-haired man.

I have an ex-friend who used to insist that when she got married, all of her bridesmaids had to be fatter and/or uglier than she was, so that she would look better by comparison.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25069 on: January 15, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »

I have an ex-friend who used to insist that when she got married, all of her bridesmaids had to be fatter and/or uglier than she was, so that she would look better by comparison.

I think I have very clear grasp of why she's an ex-friend. And that's not the first time I've heard someone say they want bridesmaids fatter/uglier/shorter then them to make them look thinner/prettier/taller. My BFF joked about how all but one of her bridesmaids was taller then her. But she didn't think we made her look shorter. She said her being short made her look short.

MrTango

« Reply #25070 on: January 15, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »
It boggles my mind, the way some brides react about their friends' appearances. If I were getting married, I'd be quite content to have friends to walk with me. Not thinner friends, fatter friends, more presentable friends. If you want to be the cynosure of all eyes, do away with the bridesmaids completely.

My MOH was 8 months pregnant and still smaller than me. I didn't care!

LadyTango's MOH was going to be 5 months along at the time of our wedding.  Apparently, it took some careful guesswork to determine how to make the alterations on her dress.  They did a great job, and in all the photos, it fit her just fine.

snowfire

« Reply #25071 on: January 15, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »

My MOH was 8 months pregnant and still smaller than me. I didn't care!

LadyTango's MOH was going to be 5 months along at the time of our wedding.  Apparently, it took some careful guesswork to determine how to make the alterations on her dress.  They did a great job, and in all the photos, it fit her just fine.

When we got married we didn't know if my MOH was going to be 9 months pregnant or with baby in arms.  We planned both ways. (I made the bridesmaids dresses and we waited till the last minute for hers.)  I didn't care if she was pregnant or not, she was still my cousin & I wanted her in the wedding.

Turns out she had the baby about two weeks before the wedding.  (Slight threadjack, we went to the wedding of that "baby" last year.  I'm feeling old.....)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #25072 on: January 15, 2014, 06:10:13 PM »

I think I have very clear grasp of why she's an ex-friend. And that's not the first time I've heard someone say they want bridesmaids fatter/uglier/shorter then them to make them look thinner/prettier/taller. My BFF joked about how all but one of her bridesmaids was taller then her. But she didn't think we made her look shorter. She said her being short made her look short.

Snarky Softly would use the bolded sentiments to turn it around on a Bridezilla:

Awful Zilla: "I need ugly/fat/short bridesmaids to help make me look good on my wedding day!"
Me: "Oh Honey, there aren't enough bridesmaids in the world." >:D

*gives Snarky a cookie and shoves her back in her kennel*

PS: Ugly is as ugly does.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #25073 on: January 15, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »
Do all of those junker cars have license and registration and insurance on them?  I think it's illegal to park an unregistered car on the road. 

It is in my jurisdiction.  It probably depends on where you live but definitely something to look into.

I got a bit spooked at our old apartment complex once when I came out to find practically every car parked around mine in a small area of the lot labeled with "tow" stickers - except for mine.  Then I looked more closely, and realized that, out of all of the cars in that area, mine was the only one with up to date registration.

Are you talking about state registration? Here in my state you wouldn't be able to get a ticket for non-registration unless you were actively driving the car. But you could be towed in my city if you didn't move a car in 48 hours in a public parking lot.

Most of the cars in the lot with mine had registrations that were way out of date.  The one next to my car was for 2006 (this was 2010, if I remember correctly). 

Zizi-K

« Reply #25074 on: January 15, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »

Snarky Softly would use the bolded sentiments to turn it around on a Bridezilla:

Awful Zilla: "I need ugly/fat/short bridesmaids to help make me look good on my wedding day!"

*snort* Snarky needs to be let out to play early and often.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25075 on: January 15, 2014, 07:50:30 PM »

*snort* Snarky needs to be let out to play early and often.

Snarky VorFemme and Evil VorFemme have chocolate chip cookies made with M & M candies - so "rainbow" chocolate candies in them.  They'd be happy to have Snarky Softly over for a tea party!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #25076 on: January 15, 2014, 08:29:15 PM »

I felt a little awkward about the fact that I was several inches taller than all of my bridesmaids, who were close in height.  My husband felt a little awkward about being close to the shortest of the guys (three of them much taller, his brother almost the same height).  But I wore ballet flats and let the bridesmaids pick a shoe together (they picked ones with slight heels), which minimized the difference, at least on our side.  In my ballet flats, I was about 1-2" shorter than my husband, which he appreciated for that day, at least.  :)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25077 on: January 15, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »
We had a SS snowbird on the news tonight. Mr Snowbird has a first floor condo on the backside of a beachfront building. So his sliding patio door and his neighbors' patio doors are right at the top of a sand dune, with a small patch of cement patio in between. He wants more sand on the dunes, to protect his condo from hurricanes. He said he doesn't expect protection from a 28 foot swell, but at least from a 5 to 10 foot swell. And he is worried his condo won't be protected from a category 4 or 5 hurricane if the dune isn't built up with more sand. The Army Corp of Engineers regularly builds the dunes back up with more sand, but they can only do so much.  It's just a fact of life here that 1st floor beach view = you will eventually deal with a hurricane evacuation & come home to a mess, no matter how much sand gets piled up.
Coming from a native gulf coaster - The man is a grade A idiot. Anyone with beach front property should assume even in a Cat 2 or 3 - you won't have property after the storm. In Texas it will belong to the citizens of Texas*, because the dunes are going to behind your former structure. (There was one guy on Pirate's beach after Alicia, who as soon as the Galveston causeway open came over with a trailer of native beach plants and planted them along what had been his property line. When the let the dunes stabilize period was over he had enough dunes and beach in front of his property that his house stood while pretty much the rest of his row was knocked down. )

Now if you and this guy are counting floors American style and 1st floor means ground floor - this guy is a triple star grade A idiot - because the storm surge is going straight through his condo.

Went and reread - he expects only a 5 - 10 foot storm surge in a Cat 4 or 5  :o . I would expect the next cat 4 or 5 to surge right over Galveston/Surfside and the other Texas beaches I'm familiar with. I'm north/west side of Houston Cat 4 or 5 I'm out of here and we didn't even flood during Ike or TS Allison (Allison wasn't a hurricane but it sat over us and lots places that "never" flood flooded)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25078 on: January 15, 2014, 09:11:54 PM »
Update the third on the sign saga: it's gotten WORSE!!

The par officer Nell's been in contact with came out to have a look at the sign today (it was in fact broken off - so there's a very sharp bit of metal pole sticking out the sidewalk now.) Nell and Jules had taped a plastic drink cup over the top of the pole so any kids walking by wouldn't hurt themselves if they arsed around and fell on it, but Jerk had removed the cup. (Really...seven houses down from a middle school...is he TRYING to get people hurt??) Jerk is also insisting, despite the one remaining sign and the full knowledge that what he's doing is very, very illegal, that the space is, in fact, not a PRIVATE space but a PUBLIC one, so he has full rights to use it.

Yeah, my head just about hit the desk at that one too. ???

Par officer reassured Nell that she and Jules are doing exactly the right thing trying to keep that broken pole capped off, and presumably laid into Jerk at some point about his junktastic cars - he's been forced to move at least two of them, including the one blocking the curb right in front of May's house. So it sounds like things are starting to get a little better, right?

Well, the par officer also told Nell something VERY interesting, after Nell mentioned she, Jules, and my six-year-old niece (who we'll call Asha) are living there right now - I'm not entirely sure how it came up, I think it had something to do with Nell being unable to get her car out of the driveway to take Asha to school.

One of the people living in Jerk's house is a registered s*x offender.

(I rather suspect it's Jerk himself, from some passes he's made at me in the past and the way he used to treat Nell when she briefly dated him.)

If it can get worse than this, I really don't want to find out how. *buries face in hands*
You said the Middle school is 8 houses down. Nell and her Husband should do some research - how close to a school is an offender allowed to live in your state?
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #25079 on: January 15, 2014, 09:40:56 PM »
You said the Middle school is 8 houses down. Nell and her Husband should do some research - how close to a school is an offender allowed to live in your state?

I don't know offhand, Nell's going to look into it.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~