Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5295625 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25080 on: January 15, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »
We had a SS snowbird on the news tonight. Mr Snowbird has a first floor condo on the backside of a beachfront building. So his sliding patio door and his neighbors' patio doors are right at the top of a sand dune, with a small patch of cement patio in between. He wants more sand on the dunes, to protect his condo from hurricanes. He said he doesn't expect protection from a 28 foot swell, but at least from a 5 to 10 foot swell. And he is worried his condo won't be protected from a category 4 or 5 hurricane if the dune isn't built up with more sand. The Army Corp of Engineers regularly builds the dunes back up with more sand, but they can only do so much.  It's just a fact of life here that 1st floor beach view = you will eventually deal with a hurricane evacuation & come home to a mess, no matter how much sand gets piled up.
Coming from a native gulf coaster - The man is a grade A idiot. Anyone with beach front property should assume even in a Cat 2 or 3 - you won't have property after the storm. In Texas it will belong to the citizens of Texas*, because the dunes are going to behind your former structure. (There was one guy on Pirate's beach after Alicia, who as soon as the Galveston causeway open came over with a trailer of native beach plants and planted them along what had been his property line. When the let the dunes stabilize period was over he had enough dunes and beach in front of his property that his house stood while pretty much the rest of his row was knocked down. )

Now if you and this guy are counting floors American style and 1st floor means ground floor - this guy is a triple star grade A idiot - because the storm surge is going straight through his condo.

Went and reread - he expects only a 5 - 10 foot storm surge in a Cat 4 or 5  :o . I would expect the next cat 4 or 5 to surge right over Galveston/Surfside and the other Texas beaches I'm familiar with. I'm north/west side of Houston Cat 4 or 5 I'm out of here and we didn't even flood during Ike or TS Allison (Allison wasn't a hurricane but it sat over us and lots places that "never" flood flooded)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25081 on: January 15, 2014, 09:11:54 PM »
Update the third on the sign saga: it's gotten WORSE!!

The par officer Nell's been in contact with came out to have a look at the sign today (it was in fact broken off - so there's a very sharp bit of metal pole sticking out the sidewalk now.) Nell and Jules had taped a plastic drink cup over the top of the pole so any kids walking by wouldn't hurt themselves if they arsed around and fell on it, but Jerk had removed the cup. (Really...seven houses down from a middle school...is he TRYING to get people hurt??) Jerk is also insisting, despite the one remaining sign and the full knowledge that what he's doing is very, very illegal, that the space is, in fact, not a PRIVATE space but a PUBLIC one, so he has full rights to use it.

Yeah, my head just about hit the desk at that one too. ???

Par officer reassured Nell that she and Jules are doing exactly the right thing trying to keep that broken pole capped off, and presumably laid into Jerk at some point about his junktastic cars - he's been forced to move at least two of them, including the one blocking the curb right in front of May's house. So it sounds like things are starting to get a little better, right?

Well, the par officer also told Nell something VERY interesting, after Nell mentioned she, Jules, and my six-year-old niece (who we'll call Asha) are living there right now - I'm not entirely sure how it came up, I think it had something to do with Nell being unable to get her car out of the driveway to take Asha to school.

One of the people living in Jerk's house is a registered s*x offender.

(I rather suspect it's Jerk himself, from some passes he's made at me in the past and the way he used to treat Nell when she briefly dated him.)

If it can get worse than this, I really don't want to find out how. *buries face in hands*
You said the Middle school is 8 houses down. Nell and her Husband should do some research - how close to a school is an offender allowed to live in your state?
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #25082 on: January 15, 2014, 09:40:56 PM »
You said the Middle school is 8 houses down. Nell and her Husband should do some research - how close to a school is an offender allowed to live in your state?

I don't know offhand, Nell's going to look into it.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25083 on: January 15, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »
The second week of a new semester, and the SS's are out in force.

I especially enjoy SS don't mind me or my belongings covering half of a 10 foot counter in the public restroom, and around 3 sinks.

Similar is SS tidy who takes a sink bath in the bathroom every day. There is water all over the floor and counters after the bath.

Today, I walked out to my car and there was a car taking up two disabled parking spaces (with no other disabled parking spaces available) waiting to pick someone up. No placard or license plate permitting them to wait there and many regular parking spaces were available. Sigh.  :(

Browyn

« Reply #25084 on: January 15, 2014, 10:32:29 PM »
It boggles my mind, the way some brides react about their friends' appearances. If I were getting married, I'd be quite content to have friends to walk with me. Not thinner friends, fatter friends, more presentable friends. If you want to be the cynosure of all eyes, do away with the bridesmaids completely.

I know, right? When I got married, I had my three best friends and my husband's sister as attendants. My MOH was (and is) a bigger girl and if I had to estimate, was probably 50 pounds heavier than she "should have been." Another attendant was chubby, I guess (I feel weird even talking about them this way), another was "normal," as am I, and my SIL was skinny as a rail.

We've been married 26 years, we're still close to everyone in the wedding party, people still talk about what a wonderful time they had, I still look at the pictures and think "that was a terrific day." This may, in fact, be the first time I ever thought about anyone in the bridal party's weight/appearance.

When I got married I was wearing a US size 18, my MOH a size 6.  My Mother wanted me to have my cousin (who I don't like - and who doesn't like me) because she was "my size". I told her no.

I had my best friend instead and I think we both looked beautiful.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #25085 on: January 16, 2014, 12:26:48 AM »
When I got married, I cheated. I had no bridesmaids at all. I had Ex's nephew as ring bearer and my niece as flower girl. I didnt want to have to choose between my friends, and I flat out didnt want the drama that bridesmaids can bring. Plus I was cheap.  ;D

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #25086 on: January 16, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »
I'm going to start the sister company... RENT A FAMILY MEMBER

Are you afraid your not so favorite Aunt Janice is going to bring up your embarrassing accident at the park because the restrooms were locked. She has told you she will. Never fear, we can match, almost perfectly with our "Aunt Janice." She will proudly announce how you were her favorite niece, and how perfect you were as a child. Your wedding video will be PERFECT!!!

We can also fill in for your relatives who are "just going to get drunk." We have professional dancers on staff too, they can swoop in and cover for any guest who is flailing around like a fish out of water.

You want to be able to invite kids, but Aunt Denise and Uncle Dennis are bringing their kids up with no discipline, don't worry, we have hired kids to step in. Of course, they can't be out late, so a quick switch on the way in, can be a quick switch on the way out, as the children politely bid good night. Aunt and Uncle will be none the wiser, as they can't see the misbehavior of their children anyway.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25087 on: January 16, 2014, 12:02:35 PM »
Actually, something like this happened.

In the early days of our neighborhood Halloween parade, adults were only allowed to participate if they were accompanied by a child.  It was not unusual for parents with several children to 'loan' out an older kid to a group of trusted, single friends for the event.   

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25088 on: January 16, 2014, 02:12:31 PM »

I don't know offhand, Nell's going to look into it.

Since I locked the thread that this post refers to, I think it would behoove everyone to let it go. If someone wants to contact the OP and she accepts PMs, feel free, but not here.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25089 on: January 16, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »
Regarding the escalator - I live on an island with no escalators.  I must admit to stopping at the top of the one in the Miami airport.  It had been 20 years since I had seen one and honestly had to take a minute to remember how to get on one.  Silly I know but it seemed so foreign.

Stopping at the top of a down elevator before you get on is fine.

It's the stopping when you get off--because the people behind you can't slow down.

crella

« Reply #25090 on: January 16, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »
I'm going to start the sister company... RENT A FAMILY MEMBER

It was a fad here in Japan for a while...

http://worldchannel.org/programs/episode/rent-family-inc/

Bluenomi

« Reply #25091 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:50 PM »
When I got married, I cheated. I had no bridesmaids at all. I had Ex's nephew as ring bearer and my niece as flower girl. I didnt want to have to choose between my friends, and I flat out didnt want the drama that bridesmaids can bring. Plus I was cheap.  ;D

I had my skinnier cousin but she was 8 months pregnant at the time is that fixed that!

Jocelyn

« Reply #25092 on: January 16, 2014, 08:54:22 PM »
I had a friend  who had a very unfortunate facial condition. It was obviously the first thing you noticed about her, and she knew that being called a beautiful bride just wasn't in the cards for her. Even more unfortunate was that she had a cousin who was extraordinarily beautiful. As children, my friend had had to listen to family members talking about how pretty her cousin was. When she announced her engagement, her mother and aunts absolutely insisted that there was no way that she could choose anyone other than her cousin as her MOH. My friend said that she could not bear to listen to all her relatives talking about how beautiful Cousin was at her wedding, and she knew, from decades of experience, that they would say this to her face, and would pressure her to agree with them that Cousin was such a great beauty, while no one would comment about what a pretty bride she was. So when it came time to choose the bridesmaid dresses, she chose a color and a style that would be the least flattering to Cousin. Her bridesmaids had different figures and coloring from Cousin and the dresses were reasonably flattering to them.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25093 on: January 16, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »
^^^  Wouldn't it have just been easier not to have her cousin as part of the wedding party? ???

Iris

« Reply #25094 on: January 16, 2014, 09:59:25 PM »
^^^  Wouldn't it have just been easier not to have her cousin as part of the wedding party? ???

I'd think about leaving the mother and aunts out as well. Sheesh.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.