Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5759782 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25080 on: January 15, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »
The second week of a new semester, and the SS's are out in force.

I especially enjoy SS don't mind me or my belongings covering half of a 10 foot counter in the public restroom, and around 3 sinks.

Similar is SS tidy who takes a sink bath in the bathroom every day. There is water all over the floor and counters after the bath.

Today, I walked out to my car and there was a car taking up two disabled parking spaces (with no other disabled parking spaces available) waiting to pick someone up. No placard or license plate permitting them to wait there and many regular parking spaces were available. Sigh.  :(

Browyn

« Reply #25081 on: January 15, 2014, 10:32:29 PM »
It boggles my mind, the way some brides react about their friends' appearances. If I were getting married, I'd be quite content to have friends to walk with me. Not thinner friends, fatter friends, more presentable friends. If you want to be the cynosure of all eyes, do away with the bridesmaids completely.

I know, right? When I got married, I had my three best friends and my husband's sister as attendants. My MOH was (and is) a bigger girl and if I had to estimate, was probably 50 pounds heavier than she "should have been." Another attendant was chubby, I guess (I feel weird even talking about them this way), another was "normal," as am I, and my SIL was skinny as a rail.

We've been married 26 years, we're still close to everyone in the wedding party, people still talk about what a wonderful time they had, I still look at the pictures and think "that was a terrific day." This may, in fact, be the first time I ever thought about anyone in the bridal party's weight/appearance.

When I got married I was wearing a US size 18, my MOH a size 6.  My Mother wanted me to have my cousin (who I don't like - and who doesn't like me) because she was "my size". I told her no.

I had my best friend instead and I think we both looked beautiful.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #25082 on: January 16, 2014, 12:26:48 AM »
When I got married, I cheated. I had no bridesmaids at all. I had Ex's nephew as ring bearer and my niece as flower girl. I didnt want to have to choose between my friends, and I flat out didnt want the drama that bridesmaids can bring. Plus I was cheap.  ;D

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #25083 on: January 16, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »
I'm going to start the sister company... RENT A FAMILY MEMBER

Are you afraid your not so favorite Aunt Janice is going to bring up your embarrassing accident at the park because the restrooms were locked. She has told you she will. Never fear, we can match, almost perfectly with our "Aunt Janice." She will proudly announce how you were her favorite niece, and how perfect you were as a child. Your wedding video will be PERFECT!!!

We can also fill in for your relatives who are "just going to get drunk." We have professional dancers on staff too, they can swoop in and cover for any guest who is flailing around like a fish out of water.

You want to be able to invite kids, but Aunt Denise and Uncle Dennis are bringing their kids up with no discipline, don't worry, we have hired kids to step in. Of course, they can't be out late, so a quick switch on the way in, can be a quick switch on the way out, as the children politely bid good night. Aunt and Uncle will be none the wiser, as they can't see the misbehavior of their children anyway.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25084 on: January 16, 2014, 12:02:35 PM »
Actually, something like this happened.

In the early days of our neighborhood Halloween parade, adults were only allowed to participate if they were accompanied by a child.  It was not unusual for parents with several children to 'loan' out an older kid to a group of trusted, single friends for the event.   

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25085 on: January 16, 2014, 02:12:31 PM »
You said the Middle school is 8 houses down. Nell and her Husband should do some research - how close to a school is an offender allowed to live in your state?

I don't know offhand, Nell's going to look into it.

Since I locked the thread that this post refers to, I think it would behoove everyone to let it go. If someone wants to contact the OP and she accepts PMs, feel free, but not here.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25086 on: January 16, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »
Regarding the escalator - I live on an island with no escalators.  I must admit to stopping at the top of the one in the Miami airport.  It had been 20 years since I had seen one and honestly had to take a minute to remember how to get on one.  Silly I know but it seemed so foreign.

Stopping at the top of a down elevator before you get on is fine.

It's the stopping when you get off--because the people behind you can't slow down.

crella

« Reply #25087 on: January 16, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »
I'm going to start the sister company... RENT A FAMILY MEMBER

It was a fad here in Japan for a while...

http://worldchannel.org/programs/episode/rent-family-inc/

Bluenomi

« Reply #25088 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:50 PM »
When I got married, I cheated. I had no bridesmaids at all. I had Ex's nephew as ring bearer and my niece as flower girl. I didnt want to have to choose between my friends, and I flat out didnt want the drama that bridesmaids can bring. Plus I was cheap.  ;D

I had my skinnier cousin but she was 8 months pregnant at the time is that fixed that!

Jocelyn

« Reply #25089 on: January 16, 2014, 08:54:22 PM »
I had a friend  who had a very unfortunate facial condition. It was obviously the first thing you noticed about her, and she knew that being called a beautiful bride just wasn't in the cards for her. Even more unfortunate was that she had a cousin who was extraordinarily beautiful. As children, my friend had had to listen to family members talking about how pretty her cousin was. When she announced her engagement, her mother and aunts absolutely insisted that there was no way that she could choose anyone other than her cousin as her MOH. My friend said that she could not bear to listen to all her relatives talking about how beautiful Cousin was at her wedding, and she knew, from decades of experience, that they would say this to her face, and would pressure her to agree with them that Cousin was such a great beauty, while no one would comment about what a pretty bride she was. So when it came time to choose the bridesmaid dresses, she chose a color and a style that would be the least flattering to Cousin. Her bridesmaids had different figures and coloring from Cousin and the dresses were reasonably flattering to them.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25090 on: January 16, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »
^^^  Wouldn't it have just been easier not to have her cousin as part of the wedding party? ???

Iris

« Reply #25091 on: January 16, 2014, 09:59:25 PM »
^^^  Wouldn't it have just been easier not to have her cousin as part of the wedding party? ???

I'd think about leaving the mother and aunts out as well. Sheesh.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #25092 on: January 17, 2014, 05:22:42 AM »
My mum is being a PA snowflake it seems (not that this is a news flash to me, but this time its very underhanded).

I share a house with my parents (it's my house, they are retired and live with me). I have repeatedly told my mum I don't like those plug-in mosquito vapour thingies. Maybe I'm being a snowflake myself about this, but I don't know what's in them, but I don't want to be breathing in unknown repellant chemicals for hours on end.

I had to drive home in the middle of the morning today because I had a warddrobe malfunction at work (my trouser button wasn't as firmly sewn on as I had hoped and it popped off). My parents are out and I dive into my room to change and notice that there is one of those mosquito repellant thingies plugged into the plug in my room.

Which means that my mum (knowing I really don't like those things), waits until I go to work, plugs one in and leaves it in all day and then unplugs it before I come home. Which means I've been breathing in those repellant chemicals I don't like while I sleep at nights. Thanks mum, thanks a bunch.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

BB-VA

« Reply #25093 on: January 17, 2014, 06:38:10 AM »

I'd think about leaving the mother and aunts out as well. Sheesh.

Eloping also comes to mind.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25094 on: January 17, 2014, 07:32:57 AM »
My mum is being a PA snowflake it seems (not that this is a news flash to me, but this time its very underhanded).

I share a house with my parents (it's my house, they are retired and live with me). I have repeatedly told my mum I don't like those plug-in mosquito vapour thingies. Maybe I'm being a snowflake myself about this, but I don't know what's in them, but I don't want to be breathing in unknown repellant chemicals for hours on end.

I had to drive home in the middle of the morning today because I had a warddrobe malfunction at work (my trouser button wasn't as firmly sewn on as I had hoped and it popped off). My parents are out and I dive into my room to change and notice that there is one of those mosquito repellant thingies plugged into the plug in my room.

Which means that my mum (knowing I really don't like those things), waits until I go to work, plugs one in and leaves it in all day and then unplugs it before I come home. Which means I've been breathing in those repellant chemicals I don't like while I sleep at nights. Thanks mum, thanks a bunch.

Wow, that would tick me off too and would have me contemplating a lock on my door and taking the only key to work with me!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata